Resident Evil: Operation Racoon City - Special Edition Announced - 3.20.2012

LinkinPrime

CAGiversary!
Feedback
170 (100%)
Update: 3/30 - Teaser Trailer: http://www.viddler.com/explore/Joystiq/videos/5491/

• The game takes place in 1998, a time where Resident Evil fans already know what's set to take place.
  • The title lets you enjoy the series from a new perspective, as the men and women who are technically responsible for it all.
  • Rather than continuing the zombie slaying antics of BSAA agents, you're taken back to the original outbreak "that underscored both Resident Evil 2 and Resident Evil 3: Nemesis."
  • The game doesn't require any crazy amounts of knowledge of the past titles or characters involved in the series. The title opens up to a "quartet of new faces". Essentially, you're playing as members of the official Umbrella Security Services squad.
  • Operation Raccoon City is a team-based shooter allowing four members of the USS team to destroy all evidence of the ongoing outbreak. Along with slaying the zombies, you're looking to "kill pretty much every survivor possible".
  • The gameplay is described as "dirty", and the series will feel much darker than it has up to this point.
  • The game features three factions that Capcom has stated make up a "three-corner conflict". The other two factions are the US Spec Ops, who are there to repel the USS, and the "bio-organic weapon monsters (BOWs) created by Umbrella.
  • The USS team is made up of the following characters: Vector, Beltway, Bertha, and Spectre. Depending on which character you choose, the responsibilities that you're asked to do within your team will variate.
  • Hunk, first seen in Resident Evil 2 as a hidden character, is the inspiration behind the USS team.
  • "Whichever team you play on, you'll be facing Umbrella-created horrors in between skirmishes with each other".
  • Zombies in the game can sense you in three different manners: sight, sound, and smell.
  • A situation is described in the game where Vector cloaks himself to stir up previously slumbering zombies to use against the Special Ops military foes.
  • Quite a few scenarios in the game aren't "all about headshots". A quote in the article states, "It's about shooting the other soldiers - manipulating the, making them bleed."
  • The game will take you through a number of familiar areas if you're a Resident Evil junkie who remembers your journey to Raccoon City.
  • Operation Raccoon City, depending on how you play the game, will give you the option to "change the history of Resident Evil". Not only will you have the chance to meet and interact with various characters from the series, but you'll even have the opportunity to kill them.
  • One of th mottos repeated to OXM throughout the demo was "Kill Leon". It's also stated that if you choose to represent in the game as the Special Ops team, that you'd more than likely have the goal of trying to save Leon Kennedy.
  • Slant Six or Capcom won't reveal if any other characters will be playable in the title just yet, but it'd make sense to see quite a few big cameos.
  • The title will still see players relying on collecting herbs to heal from any attacks you may suffer. You won't need to hoard any herbs, but they'll still benefit you to collect them throughout the game.
  • "This is not a one-versus-one game where you've got one clip full of ammo and zombies on you. If you've ever thought of those times in an RE game when you thought, 'I'd wish I had a big gun', that's what this game is. It's not fair to give people big guns, then take all the ammo away."
  • One of the pictures in the article showcases a zombie being used as a "meatshield".
  • Operation Raccoon City allows players to earn XP for kills, with these points helping you survive the onslaught, and to help to encourage you to anihilate everything in your path.
  • The XP will allow you to earn new abilities, such as Vector's cloaking skill, and new weapons.
  • Tyrants will most definitely be included in the title.
  • There's a ton of details listed above, but there's even more listed in the May 2011 issue of the Official Xbox Magazine. Don't forget to be on the lookout for the issue to hit store shelves to get even more details on Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City
http://stickskills.com/news/1556/first-details-on-resident-evil-operation-raccoon-city-unveiled/

A total of 3 RE games hitting the X360 this year...the other two are Resident Evil 4 HD, and Resident Evil: Code Veronica HD for XBLA this fall also.

I hope it features co-op like RE5 :pray:

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='2DMention']Oh no. Not another FPS. Gawd knows we need another one of those on the 360.

Why can't they do something like Outbreak?[/QUOTE]

Does it say it's an FPS? I thought it might be a third-person shooter, more like Gears of War.

I thought RE5 was suppose to be the last RE game before the "reboot" of the series?

A game with Hunk as the main character has been requested for years...guess Capcom decided to cave in and say ok to that.

Capcom should really piss off the fans and do an RE game with Alice.

Hopefully its better than the outbreak games.They had so much potential, but Capcom never fixed the problems with it like the lag and no voice chat.

I'm pretty sure that's what they're going for:

"Operation Raccoon City is a team-based shooter allowing four members of the USS team to destroy all evidence of the ongoing outbreak. Along with slaying the zombies, you're looking to "kill pretty much every survivor possible".

I think it looks promising for what it is. I'm not expecting a prequel in terms of RE5, though that would have been nice, I'm willing to see what this has to offer.

[quote name='Necrozilla']Animations look incomplete.

Meh, the designs look too arcadey to be taken seriously (see: 8 foot trenchcoat guy).[/QUOTE]

That's not a person,that's either Mr X or Nemesis.Also the game isn't even complete yet, so it's not surprising to see some unfinished animations.

[quote name='Necrozilla']Animations look incomplete.

Meh, the designs look too arcadey to be taken seriously (see: 8 foot trenchcoat guy).[/QUOTE]

That could be the main bad guy from Resident Evil: Survivor on the PS1. Has a very similar look to him.

[quote name='GUNNM']L4D RE style, cool.[/QUOTE]

That is what I said. Graphics suck horribly right now though, looks like a Wii game.

[quote name='Necrozilla']I still fail to see the infatuation with Leon.[/QUOTE]

Leon was in the two best Resident Evil games of the series, and he handles shit like a boss.

The only character that could be considered better is Hunk

[quote name='lolwut?']Leon was in the two best Resident Evil games of the series, and he handles shit like a boss.

The only character that could be considered better is Hunk[/QUOTE]
Uhhh, Chris? Chris is the most badass character in the series.

I never said Leon was the most badass character, just that he was in the two best games.

The most badass character in the series would be Wesker or Nemesis; a god or a rocket launcher-wielding super mutant > boulder punching roid junkie.

Nope, Leon is the best and most badass character in Resident Evil. Chris sucks.

Leon is also tied for the most badass character that Capcom has ever made with Frank West from Dead Rising fame.

[quote name='MillerTime2523']Made by slant six. Therefore probably going to suck[/QUOTE]

As someone who got SOCOM: Confrontation at launch, this is what has killed 99% of my expectations for the game until I can play it.

[quote name='timesplitt']Leon is nothing but a babysitter[/QUOTE]
And Chris is a 'roid rager that punches boulders in the worst game of the main series.

At least Leon's in a good game.

[quote name='CaptainJoel']And Chris is a 'roid rager that punches boulders in the worst game of the main series.

At least Leon's in a good game.[/QUOTE]
Chris was in the first damn game in the series, Leon was in ths second, you're saying 2 was better than 1? Gah...

Grab your vial of T-Virus antidote and a swath of bullets, as Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City is set to launch just five short months from now on March 20, 2012. Unfortunately for PC owners, the wait will be a bit longer, as the game will initially launch on just Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3, with the PC version launching at an unnamed date after that.

Beyond revealing the launch date, Capcom also ran down the contents of the game's "Special Edition," which contains a "Steelbook with exclusive art," an "Umbrella Security Service" patch, a "stylized foil sleeve" (what?), a "Spec Ops Field Unit" patch, and eight bonus weapons. And hey, if you pre-order at GameStop, BestBuy, or Amazon, you'll snag yourself a bonus outfit for each of the game's playable characters. Maybe it'll make Bertha look less creepy, eh?

http://www.joystiq.com/2011/10/29/resident-evil-operation-raccoon-city-chasing-down-leon-on-march/

Sounds good to me. I couldn't handle another must buy game this year.

Ugh... I was hoping for a Christmas release. I hope this doesn't tank hard. I've been keeping a close eye on it ever since I heard about its co-op.

I read about this in some game informer a while back, I was led to believe it'd be a third person shooter with different characters with different abilities and specialties.

Made by SlantSix and instantly reminded me of Kane and Lynch's multiplayer, both of which are very bad things.

Resurrect!

So, I was sitting around yesterday looking at finances and debating whether to cancel my pre-order for this. Given that this really has been flying under the radar for the past few months, I'm inclined to believe this could be a trainwreck. Fine, right?

Yeah, I got a shipping notice from the Capcom Store last night. That's... odd, in light of the fact that it releases on 3/20. According to UPS, it arrives tomorrow. Huh. Since I don't want to go through the hassle of returning anything to Digital River (I wanted the metal sign, which is the only reason I ordered there), I suppose I'm stuck with it. I'll update this with some thoughts once I play it.

... yeah, but really, I hope this is isn't beyond awful.

[quote name='007']Resurrect!

So, I was sitting around yesterday looking at finances and debating whether to cancel my pre-order for this. Given that this really has been flying under the radar for the past few months, I'm inclined to believe this could be a trainwreck. Fine, right?

Yeah, I got a shipping notice from the Capcom Store last night. That's... odd, in light of the fact that it releases on 3/20. According to UPS, it arrives tomorrow. Huh. Since I don't want to go through the hassle of returning anything to Digital River (I wanted the metal sign, which is the only reason I ordered there), I suppose I'm stuck with it. I'll update this with some thoughts once I play it.

... yeah, but really, I hope this is isn't beyond awful.[/QUOTE]

Nice...yeah, let us know how this is...hopefully its good because I want to get this.

[quote name='007']Resurrect!

... yeah, but really, I hope this is isn't beyond awful.[/QUOTE]nice you're getting it early and we're all hoping it isn't beyond awful

So, my LE and metal sign showed up today, and I've put about 2 hours into the game so far. That two hours was comprised of the first two campaign levels, which clocked in at about 30 and 50 minutes, respectively. I haven't touched multiplayer yet, nor have I finished the campaign, but I figured I'd toss some initial impressions.

First, what arrived. If nothing else, the LE packaging is nice. It has an embossed slipcover and a real steelbook. The patches are also pretty nifty, if fairly useless. As a bonus, I got the metal 'Welcome to Raccoon City' sign, which is surprisingly cool. It's predictably thin, but it does have some punched out bullet holes and raised lettering. Shipping was a bitch from the Capcom Store, price-wise, but I would be significantly less pleased right now if I hadn't gotten the sign.

Did you catch the foreshadowing there? Yeah, honestly, my initial gameplay impressions aren't great. Thus far, I've been playing 'Resident Evil: Operation Fighting Against the Goddamn Controls'. I've never played SOCOM, so I can't comment on the similarities, but I'll say this... playing this right after two playthroughs of Mass Effect 3 was a very, very bad idea. To me, ME3 got third person shooting right. The cover system, the speeds, the movement options... RE has none of it. First and foremost, even with the sensitivity to max, I feel like I'm moving through water the entire time. Very sluggish, both in movement and aiming. The cover system is, in my opinion, fucked. There's no button press, it's a 'stick to whatever you hit against' system, which is horrendous. To top that off, it's also very finicky... for something like a crate, you can pop up, but only if you're dead center. If you're in the standard Mass Effect side-of-the-crate stance, you'll pull the left trigger and... well, you'll just not do anything. It's infuriating and detrimental. My last movement quibble has to do with grenades. A grenade lands, so you want to get the fuck out of the way, right? Well, let's say you're in cover behind a crate. You can't jump over objects, so that's out. You can't run backwards, so that's not an option. Your only means of getting the fuck out of there is a bizarre 'click the left stick while pressing a direction and A' bellyflop thing. Dive and roll? Not here. Dive and awkwardly smack the ground. It works, but it's way to many buttons and inelegant as all hell.

The controls become an issue because, well... let's tie this into a larger issue. If you wanted Left 4 Dead meets Resident Evil, this isn't it. I've spent my time moving from room to room, stumbling onto enemy soldiers with guns, followed by zombies hordes, rinse and repeat. They eventually started blending together, but it's still not quite clicking. The guys with guns vs. guys with guns thing is predictable and seems really out of place, but the zombie fighting isn't bad. In fact, it's pretty much the best part of this so far. They come out of nowhere, act like RE zombies, and go down pretty easily. Remember the control sluggishness? Zombies and guys who hide behind cover are fine. When I stopped, the game had just thrown a roomful of Lickers at me. That was... well, I wouldn't use the word fun. The sluggish controls prevented me from feeling like I could take them on, which was compounded by the fact that nearly every enemy seems to suffer from the 'seriously, how many bullets is this going to fucking take?' syndrome.

Speaking of bullet sponges, your team will die. Constantly. That'd be a problem, though, if there weren't ABSOLUTELY NO CONSEQUENCES FOR IT. Get gunned down? Team mate holds A to revive. Got turned into a zombie at start attacking everyone? Team kills you, then they hold A to revive. It's a strange design choice. I assume it'll have some detriment in multiplayer, but it does take some suspense out of it. Of course, if you die in single player, it reloads, so get used to that.

I... I don't know. Look, it's not the worst game I've played. I just know that, thus far, I wouldn't have spent $60 (or $70 for the LE) if I had played a demo. Even the RE fan service hasn't been great so far, which I find baffling. I would've thought that being on the raid to get the G-Virus sample from Birkin would be cool. It, uh, wasn't. The environments don't feel like RE, either, but I also haven't been to an RE2 location yet, so maybe that will help.

Like I said, I'm not very far into it, nor have I played multiplayer. I only know two things... One, I'm not really having fun with it. In fact, I was playing and realized I just wanted the level to end, which isn't a good sign... and Two, most of the negative impressions posted by gaming websites? I'm not really able to refute them. Most of the complaints I've seen have been pretty spot on so far.

I'll update this with more impressions later, and I apologize if anyone cancels a pre-order because of my opinions. If it helps, I'm a huge RE fanboy (Operation Raccoon City is the 30th RE game in my collection, both regular series and spin-off), so it's not like I want this to be bad. I wanted a good squad-based zombie shooter with some RE fan service, but the two hours I've played have utterly unimpressed me. And that, seriously, is from a guy who played Resident Evil: Survivor over the past weekend.

[quote name='007']

I'll update this with more impressions later, and I apologize if anyone cancels a pre-order because of my opinions. If it helps, I'm a huge RE fanboy (Operation Raccoon City is the 30th RE game in my collection, both regular series and spin-off), so it's not like I want this to be bad. I wanted a good squad-based zombie shooter with some RE fan service, but the two hours I've played have utterly unimpressed me. And that, seriously, is from a guy who played Resident Evil: Survivor over the past weekend.[/QUOTE]
shit I was hoping this was your first RE game and the environment just didn't turn you into a giddy fan boy like it would me turns out you're a bigger fan than me. Ah well we'll see tuesday how much I like/hate this game. There's always NG 3 to fall back on

btw didn't even know there were 30 RE games are you counting multiple copies on different systems? On the topic of dodge roll you ever play lost planet? it sounds like that type of roll they had in the game which a lot of people new to the series hated

[quote name='GUNNM']shit I was hoping this was your first RE game and the environment just didn't turn you into a giddy fan boy like it would me turns out you're a bigger fan than me. Ah well we'll see tuesday how much I like/hate this game. There's always NG 3 to fall back on

btw didn't even know there were 30 RE games are you counting multiple copies on different systems? Also on the topic of dodge roll you ever play lost planet? it sounds like that type of roll they had in the game which a lot of people new to the series hated[/QUOTE]

Yeah, that's counting multiple physical copies of the canon series games. If I was counting digital versions, it's closer to 35. So, yeah, I'd say I have what could be nicely called an 'RE problem'.

I haven't played Lost Planet in a long time, but I don't remember the diving being quite as bizarre as this. I mean, these guys just take a bellyflop onto the ground. Since you can only do that while running, you have to click the stick to even accomplish it. I can honestly say I can't remember a game where I was this baffled by a dive mechanic. I don't know, maybe I don't play the right games to make that judgment.

That's a pretty damaging review, 007. Much appreciated. I'm still going through with my launch day purchase though since I usually end up enjoying games most people hate (Alpha Protocol for instance...) somehow. Controls are a huge deal for me though and hearing they aren't user friendly in any sort of shooter doesn't bode well at all.

bread's done
Back