Retail Employee Stories Part 7: "I'm Not Supposed To Be Here Today!"

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='DarkRider23']This isn't a story, but has any retail employee been alerted to the counterfeit "Free One Sony PS3," "Free One Sony PS3 Controller," "Free One Sony PS3 Headset" and the "Free Sony PS3 Blu Ray Controller" coupons going around? I just read it in a communications update at my BBV store and I laughed my ass off. If some retail employee is stupid enough to give away a PS3... (I got nothing.)[/QUOTE]

We've haven't had anybody come in with them, but we have been notified by the Regional office to be on the look out. And they've sent us scans. We have this one older cashier, we made sure she has one taped to her register so she doesn't fall for it. Somebody with a good enough story could probably pull one over on somebody who doesn't know they are fake. That said we've been out of PS3's for a month, so there's not any really cause for worry.

I would love to see those coupon scans, just to see how they look.

Anyhow- customer comes in with 2 reciepts, one purchase and one return. "I returned these frames the other day, and I only got $64.98 back- but I spent $72.64, see? I called my bank, they said I only got the 64.98... I want my refund adjusted, please."

*looks at the two reciepts, points to purchase reciept*
"Did you keep this $7 frame here that wasn't crossed off and marked 'returned'?"

"...OH! I did! Oh that explains it then! Thank you!" *leaves*

She was quite nice the whole time... I was just impressed that someone could keep their reciepts (even the return ones), take the time to call their bank and verify information, and make a special trip to the store- but never notice they bought 3 items and only returned 2. I mean, wouldn't that be the first thing to check?

Having read through pretty much every story posted, figured I would contribute few of my own:

Having worked for McDonald's set number of years (5+), I saw my fair share of crap from both ends, One instance a customer wanted us break a $50 bill (our manager Troy was like, who does he think we are, a fucking bank), Another was having a father rip into me because we ran out of drink trays (seriously, how fucking hard is it to have your family hold onto your fucking drinks), Had a classmate driven to tears because some customer got upset she screwed up his fucking hamburger order (she eventually quit).

Best part was fucking walking out in front of Troy & every fucking customer on a busy day, I also suffer from back pain from not being properly trained nor given the right equipment when I unloaded the fucking truck, I should have hauled their asses into court but too late now....

Last night, I had a customer come through our self-checkouts with a few jars of baby food. 37 to be exact. After scanning, she hands me her coupons. $2 off 16 jars of baby food, which wouldn't be a problem, except she gave me nine coupons, and expected to use all of them. I get he attention, and let her know that she couldn't use all of those coupons.

"Why not?", she asks, in a snotty tone. I don't put up with that.

"Because, to use all of these, you would need to buy 144 jars of baby food. Beech-nut brand, too, and most of yours are Gerber." It was at the end of a long day, and I really didn't feel like putting up with anything. "I'll let you use two of these, but I can't let you use anymore."

She looked like she was about to hit me. "They let me do this at Meijers!" I'm so sure. Regulars of this thread know that phrase well.

Not feeling like furthering this argument, I tell her there's nothing I can do. She gathers her children (several, I might add) and screams something about going to Meijer. Breaks a few of those baby food jars, as well, while throwing them into a cart so I could put them away.

Thing is, this kind of customer is a regular occurrence at night. I'm used to it by now, which is the saddest part of all.

I figured I'd contribute a bit to this thread. I used to work as a customer service rep for the national call center of Netflix. I'd have to work holidays, and there are three types of calls you get on those days: people upset about being charged, issues with instant watch features, or the dreaded call of people upset that not only did their dvd not check in, but none was sent out either. I've learned its damn near impossible to explain to people that dvds don't check in when the post office is closed, and that even though the company is Netflix, it doesn't control the post office.

For those with instant watch problems, its usually a quick fix, except when it is with the elderly. Theres so much to explain, internet speeds (no instant watch won't work with WebTV, its too slow), feature doesn't work with AOL, you need a membership to use, and my personal favorite, flip the mouse over to move the arrow on the screen. These calls were a true test of one's patience.

[quote name='davo1224']I've had many people threaten to sue because a car they saw online was sold. You'll also find the ones who try and make ridiculous deals. "I want $5000 under invoice for a brand new car that never even makes it to the lot unsold!" Thanks but no thanks.

Working in service is where the real gold apparently happens though. I have a friend who has been asked if she's ever done anything sexual with an animal. We also have many people who cancel their OnStar trial because they think someone is watching them for reasons other than safety.[/QUOTE]

If I were to cancel my OnStar trial (which I would, cuz paying for that is kind of ridiculous unless you have the income to justify it), I would probably make up some kind of idiotic reason too.. just to see how the person on the other end of the phone would react. :p

[quote name='Gbear09']I figured I'd contribute a bit to this thread. I used to work as a customer service rep for the national call center of Netflix. I'd have to work holidays, and there are three types of calls you get on those days: people upset about being charged, issues with instant watch features, or the dreaded call of people upset that not only did their dvd not check in, but none was sent out either. I've learned its damn near impossible to explain to people that dvds don't check in when the post office is closed, and that even though the company is Netflix, it doesn't control the post office.

For those with instant watch problems, its usually a quick fix, except when it is with the elderly. Theres so much to explain, internet speeds (no instant watch won't work with WebTV, its too slow), feature doesn't work with AOL, you need a membership to use, and my personal favorite, flip the mouse over to move the arrow on the screen. These calls were a true test of one's patience.[/QUOTE]

NetFlix instant stream doesn't work in Linux cuz unlike every other streaming video site.. they just HAVE to use Microsoft's shitty SilverLight protocol.. why can't they just use Flash so us Linux users can watch it too? I've already canceled my Netflix subscription since Netflix doesn't give a fuck about Linux users.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='PhrostByte'] NetFlix instant stream doesn't work in Linux cuz unlike every other streaming video site.. they just HAVE to use Microsoft's shitty SilverLight protocol.. why can't they just use Flash so us Linux users can watch it too? I've already canceled my Netflix subscription since Netflix doesn't give a fuck about Linux users.[/QUOTE]

Its not that. Its for a few reasons, part of the agreement to have it on the 360 is that they had to use silverlight. Also it makes tech support easier for the call center, depending on the error you get (almost all of them), it goes to microsoft. But I've recently canceled my subscription since they did the agreement to not have new releases for 28 days after the release date (which starts this week.) I would've HATED to be working there when that announcement was made. That's a shitstorm that I'm glad to have avoided.

Last year when they announced the tiered pricing for blu-ray, they notified people via email, and that if they have any questions to call a certain number in the email. Apparently the number in the email was to an airline service or something like that. It was a very nasty week. And all the notification the call center employees had was a 15 minute slide show explaining the new prices.

Keeping in mind they are calling for 2-3 feet of snow in an area that gets shut down with 2 inches

customer on phone-"what time are you guys closing?"

me-"we're not sure right now but probably within the next hour because the snow is getting very bad"

customer-"well can you please stay open another hour to an hour and a half because we NEED a ps3 for the snowstorm to keep us busy?"

me-"i'm sorry but i can not make any guarantees, we want to get home while it is still relatively safe to drive"

customer-"but were willing to risk driving to come get it, could you please stay open"

me-"i understand you are willing to risk you and your children's lives for a playstation but I am not willing to risk my life"

customer-"well can we speak with the manager we know him and he will be mad at you if you don't stay open for us"

me-"i am the manager and i don't know you and we are actually closing up shop now"

customer-"after countless profanities, i'm going to have your ass fired, this is the most ridiculous thing i have ever heard"

me-"i'm sorry you feel that way is there anything else i can do for you?"

customer-"you can fucking stay open so we can get our damn ps3, we are leaving now and you better be open when we get there"

me-"im just letting you know that we are closing up shop now and we will not be open, have a nice evening"

gotta love it!

[quote name='Gbear09']Its not that. Its for a few reasons, part of the agreement to have it on the 360 is that they had to use silverlight. Also it makes tech support easier for the call center, depending on the error you get (almost all of them), it goes to microsoft. But I've recently canceled my subscription since they did the agreement to not have new releases for 28 days after the release date (which starts this week.) I would've HATED to be working there when that announcement was made. That's a shitstorm that I'm glad to have avoided.

Last year when they announced the tiered pricing for blu-ray, they notified people via email, and that if they have any questions to call a certain number in the email. Apparently the number in the email was to an airline service or something like that. It was a very nasty week. And all the notification the call center employees had was a 15 minute slide show explaining the new prices.[/QUOTE]

Netflix not working in Linux is 100% Microsoft's fault. Miguel De Icaza already wrote a pretty good port of Silverlight called Moonlight.. the only thing it's missing? That's right... Microsoft DRM, which they probably won't provide cuz they are assholes. I wish Netflix would tell Microsoft to suck it and just use Flash instead. :\

So that Netflix streaming would break every 2 seconds? Say what you want about Silverlight being proprietary but it's amazing software and the best choice for something like that. Flash needs to die.

I'm not going to disagee with you there. Flash is just as bad as Silverlight.. I'd much rather prefer an open standard like HTML5.. but I would take Flash since at least Flash fucking works in Linux. Silverlight is bullshit and I hope Microsoft's propriety world dies soon.

[quote name='DuelLadyS']
Contrary to popular belief, I've found the women's room to largely be a far more disgusting place then the men's room.[/QUOTE]

Co-sign this x100000000000000.

Men may stink the joint up but women are far more disgusting when it comes to the things they leave floating....just sayin....

[quote name='Will']Co-sign this x100000000000000.

Men may stink the joint up but women are far more disgusting when it comes to the things they leave floating....just sayin....[/QUOTE]

Agreed.

One time I went into the women's public restroom at work, and saw feces smeared on every single wall, toilet stall doors, basically everywhere (why the hell do people do stuff like this at the public library?). Mens' restroom...someone might write graffiti on one of the walls. So yeah, women's restrooms are the worst. And when my mom was a district manager for a retail clothing chain, she said it was always women customers who did nasty things in the dressing rooms, or let their kids crap in the dressing rooms.

[quote name='Spacepest']Agreed.

One time I went into the women's public restroom at work, and saw feces smeared on every single wall, toilet stall doors, basically everywhere (why the hell do people do stuff like this at the public library?). Mens' restroom...someone might write graffiti on one of the walls. So yeah, women's restrooms are the worst. And when my mom was a district manager for a retail clothing chain, she said it was always women customers who did nasty things in the dressing rooms, or let their kids crap in the dressing rooms.[/QUOTE]

The library is a public place where anyone can go. That's why many homeless/mentally ill frequent them.

I have one, it's not great though.

I work at Ingles (a grocery chain mainly located in the southeast). Our dress code is khaki pants and a white polo shirt with "Ingles" or "The Ingles Advantage" written on the sleeve. I work in different areas (front end, frozen, produce etc.) and the other day a lady came up to me as I was stocking frozen and asked, '"Excuse me, do you work here?"

I was so tempted to say, "No ma'am, but if you ask that guy over there (the frozen manager) in the white polo and khaki pants, I'm sure he would be more than happy to help you."

Customer: Hey, do you guys have this game on PS3? *holds up box for Forza 3*
Me: Nope, it's a 360 exclusive.
Customer: You sure, my friend...
Me: I'm sure *points to the "Only on Xbox 360" sign on the case.
Customer: But my friend told me it was on PS3 too.
Me: It's not.
*customer walks away looking all sad*

Who should you believe? Your "friend" or the "Only on Xbox 360" stamp on the case?

I remember my store had a snafu on marketing and actually had a Forza 3 for PS3 display box. I pointed it out to my MOD and luckily we caught it before any of those questions started happening.

[quote name='PhrostByte']I'm not going to disagee with you there. Flash is just as bad as Silverlight.. I'd much rather prefer an open standard like HTML5.. but I would take Flash since at least Flash fucking works in Linux. Silverlight is bullshit and I hope Microsoft's propriety world dies soon.[/QUOTE]

Just remember, competition breeds improvement of products. Flash needs to be improved like it was between Flash 6 and 7.

[quote name='PopcornBandit']I have one, it's not great though.

I work at Ingles (a grocery chain mainly located in the southeast). Our dress code is khaki pants and a white polo shirt with "Ingles" or "The Ingles Advantage" written on the sleeve. I work in different areas (front end, frozen, produce etc.) and the other day a lady came up to me as I was stocking frozen and asked, '"Excuse me, do you work here?"

I was so tempted to say, "No ma'am, but if you ask that guy over there (the frozen manager) in the white polo and khaki pants, I'm sure he would be more than happy to help you."[/QUOTE]

People can be really unobservant when it comes to uniforms. I was in Staples picking up some things and some woman asks me if I worked there. I was in black jeans and a navy blue shirt. Every employee was wearing a red polo with Staples on it and khakis.

I once was walking around a supermarket in a collared shirt and pants. Some guy motions me over and says "Where are the carriages?!" I stay where am, belt out "I dunno!" and walk away. He got pissed off and actually followed me around the store. Finally I said, "I don't work here and they're outside jerk."

[quote name='DarkRider23']Customer: Hey, do you guys have this game on PS3? *holds up box for Forza 3*

Who should you believe? Your "friend" or the "Only on Xbox 360" stamp on the case?[/QUOTE]

There's always the infamous 360 Timed Exclusives. Sure, Forza's not one, but I'm sure say.... Star Ocean 4 says Only on Xbox 360.

I swear its like if people see someone in khaki's and a tucked in polo they instantly assume they are employees.

I worked at KB Toys and Best Buy (both sales and GS). In both red/blue polo and khaki's and my geeksquad uniform I was stopped in Jewel Osco (IL supermarket) and Walmart by people amongst a few other stores. The jewel was in the best buy shopping strip so I would go to their deli counter for lunch since it was cheap and almost every time I went I'd get a question about produce or something.

[quote name='Chronis']There's always the infamous 360 Timed Exclusives. Sure, Forza's not one, but I'm sure say.... Star Ocean 4 says Only on Xbox 360.[/QUOTE]

Then there are the "Only On 360" games that are also on the PC.

[quote name='momouchi']People can be really unobservant when it comes to uniforms. I was in Staples picking up some things and some woman asks me if I worked there. I was in black jeans and a navy blue shirt. Every employee was wearing a red polo with Staples on it and khakis.[/QUOTE]

I was at kmart wearing a shirt that said "OH fuck ITS GODDAMN MC CHRIS!" on it, with MC Chris karate kicking off a zombies head... and someone asked if I work there.

/facepalm

I wish I was joking.

My fiance is constantly asked where things are at stores, regardless of what he is wearing.

We've decided it's a confidence thing- if you look like you know what you're doing, you work there. Meaning anyone who does their research beforehand and shops well is going to be mistaken for an employee.

If you want it to stop, walk around slowly, act a little confused, go back and forth around the same display, and pick up the same 2 times five or six times. You'll probably get left alone.

And never wear a collared shirt. That always seems to make it worse.

[quote name='DuelLadyS']

And never wear a collared shirt. That always seems to make it worse.[/QUOTE]

Back in 1999 I was doing my student teaching. On my way home from my placement one afternoon, being a poor college student, I stopped in a Big Lots. All of a sudden this women comes up to me and starts screaming and cursing about one of the employees. I don't think she believed me when I told her I didn't work there. Apparently, if you go into a Big Lots wearing a shirt and tie, then all of the crazies will think you are the manager.

Days of working as cashier at corner store...

A kid about 7-8 years old walks into the store (the only customer at the time) and looks around for a while at chips and drinks. After he finishes he approaches the counter (at this time someone has entered the store) The kid has nothing with him but reaches into his pocket and drags out a bunch of coins onto the counter having it roll everywhere. He then looks at me and tells me to change all his coins into a dollar. I tell him this is a corner store if he wants his coins exchanged go to a bank. The kid gets mad and starts screaming about how his "friend" does it all the time at the store. I tell him I've never done such a thing at the store. (At this point there is a man waiting behind the kid) The kid then accuses me of being a racist and that I am not changing his coins for paper money because he is white. (that neighborhood consists of very few Caucasians) I decide its not worth the hassle and tell him I'm going to change it for him (The man behind the kid look like he was getting irritated waiting) I count up the coins and it turns out he only has 94 cents. He then accuses me of stealing his other 6 cents claiming he "definitely" had a dollar. He then goes on a tirade screaming saying I stole his 6 cents because he is white. I then point towards the camera surveillance and tell him he can call the police as I have done nothing wrong. He stands there for a few seconds, drags all of his coins back into his pocket and before exiting the score yells "F*** You"

The man behind the kid comes up with his stuff and complains about slow service and says he doesn't plan on coming here anymore...

I was wearing a red Royal Caribbean cruise ship tshirt and a pair of khaki shorts, and some stupid woman came up to me and asked where the DVDs were while I was looking at something at Kmart.

And another story of mine:

So last Saturday, I needed to come up front and help ring people up, as we a few people in line, and only one cashier. Well I see that there's this dude right behind the person who's getting rang up, and since he's next in line, I pull him over to my register. As I walk over to my register, there's this gaggle of black people standing in front of the registers(they are not in line by the way). They ask if I can ring them up, I tell them I have to ring up the guy who was already in line, and it's not fair to him if I take them instead of the person who had been waiting a while already. They seem to be okay about it, or so I thought.

Well the fattest of the group waddles up to my register after the guy who I was going to ring up had to go back to check a few things. She asked if this was a matter of prejudice. I'm kinda confused at this, so I say excuse me? to her. She starts complaining that I took somebody who was in line behind them over them, and she starts going on about how it's a racist matter. One problem with their complaint. She was on the other side of the register asking the cashier if she can use debit. I tell her it wasn't a matter of prejudice, apologize(Because it's a hell of a lot easier to act like I'm sorry about something that I know I wasn't in the wrong about instead of arguing with them about it). She wants my name, I give it to her(Even turn my nametag so she can see it), wants our corporate line, and that she's going to file a complaint about me. Me, still confused and believing I didn't do a damn thing wrong, tell her to go right ahead. Well she walks off and starts complaining how she's never shopping here again, and I believe calls me an honky.

I've yet to hear about any complaints, so she was just blowing off steam. I hate people who have to make everything a matter of race. Although I have been called racist by black people numerous times because I follow them around when we know they were shoplifiting, and don't even try to hide it. That or I catch them trying to cut something off a locked peg, and they claim it was like that even though I just put them on there and locked the peg back up no more than 30 minutes ago.

I really need to get out of retail. I don't get paid enough to put up with people like my wall of text.

If we're gonna be racially motivated for a little, I ***HATE*** when someone Hispanic wants something from me and the exchange almost always goes something like this:

Them: Do you speak Spanish? My English isn't that well.
Me: No I'm sorry but maybe I can still help you. I can understand some of it.
Them: Do you have *item*?
Me: Yes I do!
Them: How much is it?
Me: *gives price*
Them: OK but how much do I have to pay?
Them: OK I don't want it.

[quote name='georox']I was at kmart wearing a shirt that said "OH fuck ITS GODDAMN MC CHRIS!" on it, with MC Chris karate kicking off a zombies head... and someone asked if I work there.

/facepalm

I wish I was joking.[/QUOTE]
I HAVE THAT SAME SHIRT! I got kicked out of the local grocery store for wearing it, too!

[quote name='DarkRider23']Customer: Hey, do you guys have this game on PS3? *holds up box for Forza 3*

Who should you believe? Your "friend" or the "Only on Xbox 360" stamp on the case?[/QUOTE]

box-l.jpg

fuck you Capcom. :cry:

[quote name='VashandWolfwood']I hate people who have to make everything a matter of race. Although I have been called racist by black people numerous times because I follow them around when we know they were shoplifiting, and don't even try to hide it. [/QUOTE]

I'm so tired of all the political correctness in this country. Hey guess what people.. stereotypes exist for real reasons most of the time. It just so happens that black people do commit crimes in disproportionate rates to white people. Asian immigrants are more likely to assimilate to the mainstream culture and do well in it, while Hispanic immigrants are less likely. That's just how it is and we should stop pretending that everyone is equal.. it's just not true.

[quote name='davo1224']If we're gonna be racially motivated for a little, I ***HATE*** when someone Hispanic wants something from me and the exchange almost always goes something like this:

Them: Do you speak Spanish? My English isn't that well.
Me: No I'm sorry but maybe I can still help you. I can understand some of it.
Them: Do you have *item*?
Me: Yes I do!
Them: How much is it?
Them: OK but how much do I have to pay?
Them: OK I don't want it.[/QUOTE]
Oi, I'm half latino and look hispanic, so at least 3-4 times a day people will come up to me straight out the gate talking to me in Spanish, which I unfortunately do not speak.

It's getting annoying. Seriously. Two years of high school spanish down the drain, and I think I'll pick up the language just to deal with these peeps.

[quote name='georox']I was at kmart wearing a shirt that said "OH fuck ITS GODDAMN MC CHRIS!" on it, with MC Chris karate kicking off a zombies head... and someone asked if I work there.

/facepalm

I wish I was joking.[/QUOTE]

Care to explain what that shirt means? I'm assuming it's referring to some stupid internet thing, but I like the shirt. It looks really cool, but I don't want to wear it and have someone come up to me and ask me what the hell it means without really knowing.

[quote name='PhrostByte']I'm so tired of all the political correctness in this country. Hey guess what people.. stereotypes exist for real reasons most of the time. It just so happens that black people do commit crimes in disproportionate rates to white people. Asian immigrants are more likely to assimilate to the mainstream culture and do well in it, while Hispanic immigrants are less likely. That's just how it is and we should stop pretending that everyone is equal.. it's just not true.[/QUOTE]

This is mall security... be on the lookout for a person, male or female, between the ages of 16 and 75, between 5 feet and 7 feet tall, possibly white or black or Asian or Hispanic or Native American, with either red, black, brown, blond or no hair. I repeat, be on the lookout for a person. Wearing clothes. Possible shoplifter.

Every time I go into a BBY, I am mistaken for an employee. It is only recently noticed that my school uniform is actually the same as the BBY uniform, except for the polo, but customers get confused if I wear a jacket.

[quote name='Bubbakja']I swear its like if people see someone in khaki's and a tucked in polo they instantly assume they are employees.

I worked at KB Toys and Best Buy (both sales and GS). In both red/blue polo and khaki's and my geeksquad uniform I was stopped in Jewel Osco (IL supermarket) and Walmart by people amongst a few other stores. The jewel was in the best buy shopping strip so I would go to their deli counter for lunch since it was cheap and almost every time I went I'd get a question about produce or something.[/QUOTE]

/rant
This is most likely because the general public (most people but not all) are slobs, and cannot be bothered to take pride in their appearance. So when a person whose attire is semi/professional the customer gets the notion that it is the dress code for that particular business. Just look at the people of walmart site to see what I am talking about.
\rant

I finally got the chance to work at a game store.

And it made me want to fire a gun into my mouth. Turns out, the manager didn't feel like paying the minimum wage to bring me on as a Seller. So I was made a mascot. For less than minimum.

He treated everyone like shit, mostly employees and always mascots, threatened to fire us if we didn't come in every day to find out our schedule because he hated making one, and if you tried to change when you could work, he'd just fire you and ask the next dude in line if he needed a job. I was the only one who didn't quit within a week, and lasted 2 1/2 months before I couldn't take it. When I quit, all he said was, "Good. I was sick of seeing your face, and didn't want to give you a raise for making it 3 months. Here's your check. Get out of my store." Now, that bothered me, but not much. What really pissed me off was the fact he said this IN FRONT OF THE CUSTOMERS.

[quote name='LowEndLem']I finally got the chance to work at a game store.

And it made me want to fire a gun into my mouth. Turns out, the manager didn't feel like paying the minimum wage to bring me on as a Seller. So I was made a mascot. For less than minimum.

He treated everyone like shit, mostly employees and always mascots, threatened to fire us if we didn't come in every day to find out our schedule because he hated making one, and if you tried to change when you could work, he'd just fire you and ask the next dude in line if he needed a job. I was the only one who didn't quit within a week, and lasted 2 1/2 months before I couldn't take it. When I quit, all he said was, "Good. I was sick of seeing your face, and didn't want to give you a raise for making it 3 months. Here's your check. Get out of my store." Now, that bothered me, but not much. What really pissed me off was the fact he said this IN FRONT OF THE CUSTOMERS.[/QUOTE]
Holy shit dude, how the heck has he stayed manager? That sounds like the most incredibly frustrating 2 1/2 months of your working life.

I'd go back in about a week just to annoy him, maybe even tell him off in front of customers. Bring on the glitter and the racks

[quote name='LowEndLem']I finally got the chance to work at a game store.

[/QUOTE]
Minimum wage is minimum wage, unless shady shit is going down. I take it that this was an independently owned store?

Long rant incoming:

I originally didn't want to post about this because I know how sensitive people can be but I've had too many of the following encounters not to post on here, so here it goes:

I worked for a hotel that used to have a reputation for being THE place to go to when the clubs closed. In other words, people would come and continue the after party in the rooms. This of course lead to complaints from people who were there for business, vacation, etc. A policy was put into effect that would require anyone staying at the hotel that they provide a security deposit of $300. This policy has been in effect for a few years now and has certainly worked in keeping some riff raff away.

It's no secret that all hotels dislike reservations booked through priceline, expedia, hotels.com, etc. The people who book there tend to be some of the mosy unpleasant people on the face of the earth. They are complete cheap asses who think they are owed the world and then some.

I've noticed this mostly with African-Americans. They come in and expect to have the best room in the house. Once you explain to them that they booked a standard room through whatever website they used, they settle down. The fun part comes when you inform them of the deposit that is required; that's when they just have to cause a scene and insist that they knew nothing about this. When you ask them for their paper work and point out where the website says that every hotel has different requirements to check in and that you should call for details they tend to ignore that and continue getting loud and when you don't budge because it is policy you are immediately labeled a racist.

Case in point with one particular guy I dealt with. He arrived and didn't have enough to put down a deposit. He was told that he would be allowed to check in this time with a minimal deposit of $100 but this would be the only time. He went as far as commenting that he appreciated being allowed to check in like this and that he would be returning in two weeks with his wife so he would be sure to have the money then. Fast forward two weeks and the wife arrived. She was told of the deposit and immediately causes a scene in the lobby; guess he didn't tell her. She calls him and he arrived a few minutes later. He was reminded that he was allowed once to check in and that he agreed he would have the required deposit this time. He tried to smooth talk his way out of the deposit and when I didn't budge he called me a racist. This annoyed me and I annoyingly asked him how come I was "real cool" last time and suddenly I'm a racist. He looked shocked and decided to change it to prejudice (thanks?).

He and his wife insisted on staying in the lobby to "prove that white people weren't being asked for a deposit." They waited for 10 minutes while three white people and a hispanic couple checked in all without incident when asked for a deposit. Then another African-American lady tried to check in and it was the same scene all over again. Between the couple and the new lady they began getting louder and louder. At this point I asked them to leave and suddenly everyone working the desk was a racist motherfucker...even the African-American girl checking people in. They left and that was the end of that...until the following day when we had two young ladies of the same race checking in do it all over again.

I'm sick and tired of this.

/rant

dude u live in califorina, you should get a load of em in louisiana. cant stand em

i visit sd frequently as i have family there, they are a whole different scenario downhere.

cant wait to graduate and move to some place without em

IT's a fucking chain, that's the thing. I've tried to call and complain but i only get recordings that lead to recordings. I guess he's still being a bitch, and when I went in the other day, he saw me and said, "If you have no money on you, Lem, get out of my store." I can't believe I worked for that fuck...

[quote name='Ed_']Long rant incoming:

I originally didn't want to post about this because I know how sensitive people can be but I've had too many of the following encounters not to post on here, so here it goes:

I worked for a hotel that used to have a reputation for being THE place to go to when the clubs closed. In other words, people would come and continue the after party in the rooms. This of course lead to complaints from people who were there for business, vacation, etc. A policy was put into effect that would require anyone staying at the hotel that they provide a security deposit of $300. This policy has been in effect for a few years now and has certainly worked in keeping some riff raff away.

It's no secret that all hotels dislike reservations booked through priceline, expedia, hotels.com, etc. The people who book there tend to be some of the mosy unpleasant people on the face of the earth. They are complete cheap asses who think they are owed the world and then some.

I've noticed this mostly with African-Americans. They come in and expect to have the best room in the house. Once you explain to them that they booked a standard room through whatever website they used, they settle down. The fun part comes when you inform them of the deposit that is required; that's when they just have to cause a scene and insist that they knew nothing about this. When you ask them for their paper work and point out where the website says that every hotel has different requirements to check in and that you should call for details they tend to ignore that and continue getting loud and when you don't budge because it is policy you are immediately labeled a racist.

Case in point with one particular guy I dealt with. He arrived and didn't have enough to put down a deposit. He was told that he would be allowed to check in this time with a minimal deposit of $100 but this would be the only time. He went as far as commenting that he appreciated being allowed to check in like this and that he would be returning in two weeks with his wife so he would be sure to have the money then. Fast forward two weeks and the wife arrived. She was told of the deposit and immediately causes a scene in the lobby; guess he didn't tell her. She calls him and he arrived a few minutes later. He was reminded that he was allowed once to check in and that he agreed he would have the required deposit this time. He tried to smooth talk his way out of the deposit and when I didn't budge he called me a racist. This annoyed me and I annoyingly asked him how come I was "real cool" last time and suddenly I'm a racist. He looked shocked and decided to change it to prejudice (thanks?).

He and his wife insisted on staying in the lobby to "prove that white people weren't being asked for a deposit." They waited for 10 minutes while three white people and a hispanic couple checked in all without incident when asked for a deposit. Then another African-American lady tried to check in and it was the same scene all over again. Between the couple and the new lady they began getting louder and louder. At this point I asked them to leave and suddenly everyone working the desk was a racist motherfucker...even the African-American girl checking people in. They left and that was the end of that...until the following day when we had two young ladies of the same race checking in do it all over again.

I'm sick and tired of this.

/rant[/QUOTE]

Racist.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back