"Okay, and how much are they?"
"....$9.99"
"And you have them in stock?"
"..yes."
"For how much?"
"...$9.99"

I wish I was exaggerating

[quote name='Ed_']Long rant incoming:

I originally didn't want to post about this because I know how sensitive people can be but I've had too many of the following encounters not to post on here, so here it goes:

I worked for a hotel that used to have a reputation for being THE place to go to when the clubs closed. In other words, people would come and continue the after party in the rooms. This of course lead to complaints from people who were there for business, vacation, etc. A policy was put into effect that would require anyone staying at the hotel that they provide a security deposit of $300. This policy has been in effect for a few years now and has certainly worked in keeping some riff raff away.

It's no secret that all hotels dislike reservations booked through priceline, expedia, hotels.com, etc. The people who book there tend to be some of the mosy unpleasant people on the face of the earth. They are complete cheap asses who think they are owed the world and then some.

I've noticed this mostly with African-Americans. They come in and expect to have the best room in the house. Once you explain to them that they booked a standard room through whatever website they used, they settle down. The fun part comes when you inform them of the deposit that is required; that's when they just have to cause a scene and insist that they knew nothing about this. When you ask them for their paper work and point out where the website says that every hotel has different requirements to check in and that you should call for details they tend to ignore that and continue getting loud and when you don't budge because it is policy you are immediately labeled a racist.

Case in point with one particular guy I dealt with. He arrived and didn't have enough to put down a deposit. He was told that he would be allowed to check in this time with a minimal deposit of $100 but this would be the only time. He went as far as commenting that he appreciated being allowed to check in like this and that he would be returning in two weeks with his wife so he would be sure to have the money then. Fast forward two weeks and the wife arrived. She was told of the deposit and immediately causes a scene in the lobby; guess he didn't tell her. She calls him and he arrived a few minutes later. He was reminded that he was allowed once to check in and that he agreed he would have the required deposit this time. He tried to smooth talk his way out of the deposit and when I didn't budge he called me a racist. This annoyed me and I annoyingly asked him how come I was "real cool" last time and suddenly I'm a racist. He looked shocked and decided to change it to prejudice (thanks?).

He and his wife insisted on staying in the lobby to "prove that white people weren't being asked for a deposit." They waited for 10 minutes while three white people and a hispanic couple checked in all without incident when asked for a deposit. Then another African-American lady tried to check in and it was the same scene all over again. Between the couple and the new lady they began getting louder and louder. At this point I asked them to leave and suddenly everyone working the desk was a racist motherfucker...even the African-American girl checking people in. They left and that was the end of that...until the following day when we had two young ladies of the same race checking in do it all over again.

I'm sick and tired of this.

/rant[/QUOTE]

I'll be honest.. I can't stand most blacks I meet. Call me racist I don't really care. I give everyone a chance, but when considered as a proportion of the whole: the blacks are the worst.. in my opinion. Completely self-righteous and self-entitled.

[quote name='Scorch']"Do you guys have any of the used motion plusses in?"
"Yeah, I have a few used ones for $9.99."
"Okay, and how much are they?"
"....$9.99"
"And you have them in stock?"
"..yes."
"For how much?"
"...$9.99"

I wish I was exaggerating[/QUOTE]

All day every day. It's like they don't fucking hear what you are telling them.

"do you have any playstation 3's ?"
"no"
"so you don't have any?"
"no WE DON'T HAVE ANY"
"when will you be getting some?"
"I don't know"
"oh, so you don't know?"

[quote name='Ed_']Long rant incoming:

/rant[/QUOTE]

OK, so people who use web sites that emphasize saving money tend to be very demanding. Kinda like ... CAGs. Yes, we expect that if your employer offers a deal then it really is a deal and not a scam in which we get shunted to some windowless storage room in the basement.

As for your policy on deposits, of course people get upset because no reasonable person would expect such a thing. Having stayed in many hotels (>100) all over the US, Canada and Europe I have never come across such a policy. If someone books a cheap room because that is what they can afford then $300 may be totally unaffordable. And why is it necessary to have a policy like this for anyone from out of town, or even anyone who books well in advance? The problem people could be targeted by having a policy about checking in without a reservation.

If you want to rant I suggest your target be the stupidity of your employer, not the customers that keep you in a job.

[quote name='flagg1216']All day every day. It's like they don't fucking hear what you are telling them.

"do you have any playstation 3's ?"
"no"
"so you don't have any?"
"no WE DON'T HAVE ANY"
"when will you be getting some?"
"I don't know"
"oh, so you don't know?"[/QUOTE]

And my favorites to go along with those:

"Is this the only one you have?"
"Yup, it's the only kind we've had for a long while."
"So you don't have any different kinds in right now huh?"

"Don't you have any *****?"
"Well, we have that one back over that way."
"I saw that one, don't you have any more?"

[quote name='davo1224']Character in an Adult Swim show. Google told me that.[/QUOTE]

No. Voice actor that does work for Adult Swim.

[quote name='DarkRider23']Care to explain what that shirt means? I'm assuming it's referring to some stupid internet thing, but I like the shirt. It looks really cool, but I don't want to wear it and have someone come up to me and ask me what the hell it means without really knowing.[/QUOTE]

MC Chris is a rapper, nerd-rap and such specifically. www.mcchris.com he has some music up on MySpace you can listen to for free. (Yes, I understand that site is archaic.)

[quote name='PhrostByte']I'll be honest.. I can't stand most blacks I meet. Call me racist I don't really care. I give everyone a chance, but when considered as a proportion of the whole: the blacks are the worst.. in my opinion. Completely self-righteous and self-entitled.[/QUOTE]

It happens. But I don't dislike them all that I meet. I meet a lot of very nice black people. And at the same time, I meet a lot of stupid fucking white people. We discussed this in class one day, and it's all about upbringing. The black people that you don't like were all raised by parents who blamed whitey for everything. They tell their kids to not get jobs because whitey owes them reparations. Or that they don't have to follow the rules or the laws because it's just whitey keeping them down. Black people have the lowest test scores on average because for some reason or another, their parents tell them that they don't have to get good scores, and that if they don't, it's whitey's fault.

I wouldn't call you a racist, you are just calling it as you see it. There ARE differences between different races, and anybody who denies it is either a racist or a moron.

[quote name='donkeydrop']OK, so people who use web sites that emphasize saving money tend to be very demanding. Kinda like ... CAGs. Yes, we expect that if your employer offers a deal then it really is a deal and not a scam in which we get shunted to some windowless storage room in the basement.[/QUOTE]

Offers are made through third parties such as priceline, hotwire, expedia, etc. In all of those cases you are told what you are paying for (although priceline offers a service where you can request to pay X amount of $ and they will place you wherever they have rooms at that price.). To come in and demand the presidential suite when you paid for a standard room through priceline is not whatI would expect a CAG would do. I certainly can't speak for all but I can say as a CAG, I certainly wouldn't. That'd be like paying for a PSP on Best Buy's website and then arriving and demanding a PS3 for the same price and then causing a scene when the cashier denies you; and then accusing said cashier of being a racist and then standing by the in-store pick up line and yelling out loud that all white people are getting PS3s for PSP prices.

Now imagine dealing with this "customer" when he comes in wreaking of weed and have an even harder time understanding why they can't get the presidential suite, or PS3 in the BB example and then having this customer cause a scene because of it.

[quote name='donkeydrop']As for your policy on deposits, of course people get upset because no reasonable person would expect such a thing.[/QUOTE]

It's called being preparerd. When you book through a third party medium you are sent an email confirmation where it states that every hotel has different requirement for check in. It strongly encourages you to call the hotel where you have just booked at to inquire on requirements needed to check in. You state that no person would expect such a thing however, I would like for you to explain why at most 8 out of 10 people of other backgrounds have no issues with said deposit but 9/10 African Americans do and 100% of those cause a scene going on about how, "Y'alls crazy axin fo' that much damn money. Ain't nobody got that much money in theys account."

[quote name='donkeydrop'] Having stayed in many hotels (>100) all over the US, Canada and Europe I have never come across such a policy.[/QUOTE]

I'm sure you have bub, and of course since you haven't experienced it, it must mean it doesn't exist, right? I guarantee you it happens more than you realize. I can't speak for the quality of hotels you have stayed at, perhaps they were lower quality and therefore did not require a deposit. Or perhaps they chose not to take a deposit from you because they thought you were nice. Though no place would admit it, they do forgo a deposit on someone for numerous reasons. Granted, I recognize that not all places require such a deposit, however it DOES happen at more places than you are aware of. It happens in California, Vegas, Florida, Europe, etc.

[quote name='donkeydrop'] If someone books a cheap room because that is what they can afford then $300 may be totally unaffordable. [/QUOTE]

Again, it is outlined in your confirmation when booking through a third party, as most African American's do at this hotel, you should call the hotel directly to inquire about the check in requirements. If you do not have the required amount, the hotel will gladly allow you to get a refund through whichever website you booked through.

[quote name='donkeydrop']And why is it necessary to have a policy like this for anyone from out of town, or even anyone who books well in advance? The problem people could be targeted by having a policy about checking in without a reservation.[/QUOTE]

And by making out of towners or anyone who booked in advance exempt from this policy, I accomplish what? We'd be guilty of discrimination. African American's are already causing a scene, raising their voices about how white people get special treatment. Next thing I would need is for one of them to be in the lobby while a white out of towner who booked months in advance waltzes in and is exempt from a deposit.

[quote name='donkeydrop']If you want to rant I suggest your target be the stupidity of your employer, not the customers that keep you in a job.[/QUOTE]

I target the stupid uneducated morons who cause scenes and immediately cry racism based on their own stupidity. You think these rates generate money? Not at all, the corporation allows them to book at low rates in hopes of getting them to rebook at a later date with a higher price, like what stores do with their sales items. So the actual customers who "keep you in a job" are the ones who come in and put down the deposit with no problems. I suggest you realize the stupidity of some African Americans instead of a policy that has clearly made my employer the number one hotel in the region.

[quote name='Access_Denied']It happens. But I don't dislike them all that I meet. I meet a lot of very nice black people. And at the same time, I meet a lot of stupid fucking white people. We discussed this in class one day, and it's all about upbringing. The black people that you don't like were all raised by parents who blamed whitey for everything. They tell their kids to not get jobs because whitey owes them reparations. Or that they don't have to follow the rules or the laws because it's just whitey keeping them down. Black people have the lowest test scores on average because for some reason or another, their parents tell them that they don't have to get good scores, and that if they don't, it's whitey's fault.

I wouldn't call you a racist, you are just calling it as you see it. There ARE differences between different races, and anybody who denies it is either a racist or a moron.[/QUOTE]

Access_Denied, I respect the way you think. I'm glad you understand the other poster. I don't dislike African Americans either, as a matter of fact, my best friend is one. He gets a kick out of my stories. I, like you, have met some really nice African Americans and some really ignorant Caucasians, Asians and Latinos. Unfortunately, in my experiences the most unpleasant stories revolve around African Americans.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was debating over wether or not to post this, because I don't want to be called a racist, but whatever.

At my job, I am constantly being called racist. I work at a meat/seafood counter at a chain grocery store. One of our biggest selling items is snow crab clusters. The price ranges from 3.99 to 5.99/lb, depending on the sale we have the current week. Snow Crab usually comes out orange/redish, but they might have a small burn mark on them from being too close to a burner or be a little more brownish (from the type of water the particular crab came from). Also, they are frozen, and we do steam them WITH seasoning FOR FREE if the customer requests. Anyways, I am called a racist/predjudice for any of the following scenarios

~A customer gets a cluster with a few black burn marks
~the shipment we got that day is running smaller than normal
~we are out of seasoning for the FREE steaming
~I didnt put enought FREE seasoning on the crab
~I didnt "take off for the ice", as they put it
~I didn't "take off enough for the ice" (half a pound on 3 total pounds apparently isnt enough)
~I refuse to re-weigh the snow crab after I steam it because its .25 pounds lighter
~the customer forgets to take a number, didnt realize it while I called out 1 through 10, tells me they're next, & I say "you need to take a number"

The best part is when someone is calling me a racist & one of the other 20+ african-american customers that are very friendly & I love to deal with are there & defend me.

Also another thing i really hate is people (i dont care what race they are), while its busy, I call their number & they tell me one thing they want, pull out their cell phone to talk, & I have to wait 2-3 minutes while they decide with whoevers on the phone what they want next. All the other customers in line just glare at me, but they'res nothing I can do.

And I wanna say something about asian people for a second. Again, not being racist (I love asians, they gave us Sonic), but asian people always seem to think its ok to just lift up our glass & touch all the seafood in the case. I always have to run over & stop asian people who are trying to open our glass & touch the whole fish or dead lobsters we carry. Is this how it is in asia? Do you self-serve yourself at the seafood markets? Someone enlighten me.

Other than my general dislike for conducting any business with most hispanic people for reasons mentioned prior, I have to say that next in line is white people to be honest.

I can't tell you how many I've dealt with who are ready to get you fired if you can't read their mind and do exactly what they want at the very second they ask.

im black and light skinned, and where i work i have trouble with all kinds of people, but mostly the ones who will really try to bully me into doing whatever it is they want are the white people so whenever that starts to happen i just pretend im hispanic and dont speak english i just stare at them and keep saying QUE?

[quote name='donkeydrop']OK, so people who use web sites that emphasize saving money tend to be very demanding. Kinda like ... CAGs. Yes, we expect that if your employer offers a deal then it really is a deal and not a scam in which we get shunted to some windowless storage room in the basement.

As for your policy on deposits, of course people get upset because no reasonable person would expect such a thing. Having stayed in many hotels (>100) all over the US, Canada and Europe I have never come across such a policy. If someone books a cheap room because that is what they can afford then $300 may be totally unaffordable. And why is it necessary to have a policy like this for anyone from out of town, or even anyone who books well in advance? The problem people could be targeted by having a policy about checking in without a reservation.

If you want to rant I suggest your target be the stupidity of your employer, not the customers that keep you in a job.[/QUOTE]

In the last year, I've stayed at about 10 different hotels. Every one of them required a deposit, most were $100.

And really? It's the employers fault that someone refused to take 2 minutes to read the confirmation email they got?

A regional manager once told my former manager that every time he saw him, he wanted to beat his wife and kick his dog.

I would frequently get called on my day off for "emergency conference calls". The last emergency conference call I had before I quit was over new release sections, and no, it could not wait until tomorrow. This was in the middle of the holidays when I was working six-day weeks and 50+ hours; all managers were coincidentally assigned to have the day off when we had the "emergency conference call" in the first place.

Whenever anyone in the company would ever complain about anything, we'd be reminded that AT LEAST WE WERE NOT WORKING FOR FOOT LOCKER, instead of actually taking any of our legitimate complaints seriously. Morale was low, and the fact that our concerns were constantly dismissed with a simple "well, you could have AIDs/be dead/have your leg eaten by bears" EVERY SINGLE FLIPPING TIME certainly didn't help anyone feel any better about being used by the company.

On the topic of being called racist, I've been called racist for following store policy; my third key was called racist for not letting someone in to the store after close on Christmas Eve.

Kicker: he was African-American, and so was the woman who made the accusation.

[quote name='Segasonic01']
And I wanna say something about asian people for a second. Again, not being racist (I love asians, they gave us Sonic), but asian people always seem to think its ok to just lift up our glass & touch all the seafood in the case. I always have to run over & stop asian people who are trying to open our glass & touch the whole fish or dead lobsters we carry. Is this how it is in asia? Do you self-serve yourself at the seafood markets? Someone enlighten me.[/QUOTE]

yep that's pretty much how they do it over in asian markets and chinatown (at least up in norcal anyways, haven't seen any in socal....)

they're free to pick their own fish by hand seeing how asians love to have everything "fresh"

btw i'm not racist, i'm asian XD

[quote name='idd0tt']yep that's pretty much how they do it over in asian markets and chinatown (at least up in norcal anyways, haven't seen any in socal....)

they're free to pick their own fish by hand seeing how asians love to have everything "fresh"

btw i'm not racist, i'm asian XD[/QUOTE]

Haha, yeah. Don't forget the huge tanks with crab, lobster, and fish swimming around. If it isn't swimming around, then it's on ice for them to basically grab and hand to the guy to have it cut, shaved, or deep fried. And how can I forget the oysters in crates spitting water on the floor, haha.

a woman came in to the store I work at, put a 20% off coupon on the counter and said "can you upgrade my coupon. they usually upgrade it because i'm such a good customer" she wanted me to give her 30% off and when i refused, she got really pissed and tried to argue with me for a few minutes. long story short, she only got 20%. wtf i've never heard of anyone getting coupons upgraded lol

[quote name='Jesse757x']a woman came in to the store I work at, put a 20% off coupon on the counter and said "can you upgrade my coupon. they usually upgrade it because i'm such a good customer" she wanted me to give her 30% off and when i refused, she got really pissed and tried to argue with me for a few minutes. long story short, she only got 20%. wtf i've never heard of anyone getting coupons upgraded lol[/QUOTE]

Was she hot?

[quote name='Azarius']im black and light skinned, and where i work i have trouble with all kinds of people, but mostly the ones who will really try to bully me into doing whatever it is they want are the white people so whenever that starts to happen i just pretend im hispanic and dont speak english i just stare at them and keep saying QUE?[/QUOTE]

I tried that "no english" route before with a customer... just my luck another customer was next to them, and they seemed fluent in spanish. After the fastest Spanish bombardment I've heard, I was smart enough to say "un momento" and got another co worker to defuse the situation. I've never tried that "no english" route ever since. Not sure what I would have done If my coworker wasn't there... I think I would have just walked away and hope they didn't see me again.

I tried that "no english" route before with a customer... just my luck another customer was next to them, and they seemed fluent in spanish. After the fastest Spanish bombardment I've heard, I was smart enough to say "un momento" and got another co worker to defuse the situation. I've never tried that "no english" route ever since. Not sure what I would have done If my coworker wasn't there... I think I would have just walked away and hope they didn't see me again.[/QUOTE]

lol ive been lucky where i work there are very few minorities of any kind so ive got a pretty good chance they wont know much spanish, and if that doesnt quite cut it then i mumble random numbers and words and kind of walk away pointing at nothing in particular that usually confuses people enough to leave me alone, im 33 ive been providing customer disservice at different jobs for 19yrs now

In case you all didn't know, BBV is now starting to charge credit cards automatically for balances over $4. The company's started charging old past due balances to the credit card on file as well. We've been getting a ton of calls about this and it's quite annoying.

*phone rings and I pick up*
Guy: Yeah, I'm calling about a charge of $14 on my credit card.
Me: Sure, what's your name?
Guy: My name is XXXX.
Me: *looks up account and then looks at the history* Yeah, you got charged for 2 games that were each late 7 days.
Guy: But why did you charge my card?
Me: Because it had been 3 months since you rented anything and Blockbuster wanted the money you owed them.
Guy: I never gave you guys permission to charge my card though.
Me: Yes, you *gets cut off*
Guy: NO, I DIDN'T.
Me: Had you read the terms and conditions you signed upon becoming a member you would have known that YOU gave us permission to charge your credit card for any balance on your account.
Guy: No, I never signed that paper and I want that money refunded.
Me: Yes, you did sign that paper as we do not sign anyone up unless they fill out the form and sign it for us.
Guy: Well, either way, I want that refunded.
Me: Sorry, can't do that. You kept hte games past the due date and you were charged. There's nothing I can do about it.
Guy: What about the no late fees? That's what all your commercials say! If you charge me for the games, then that's false advertising! I'm going to sue you.
Me: Blockbuster stopped advertising that a while ago, so I don't see how that applies to this situation.
Guy: I'll be coming in for my refund later on today as well.
Me: Good bye.

I decided to end it there in hopes that my store manager would come in later and deal with this asshole. He walked in 30 minutes later and we went back and forth for 30 minutes until he finally decided to give up after I said "no" to the refund about 40 times. The call was probably one of the weirder calls I've ever had though. It was weird because the guy would totally ignore what he just said after I shot him down every time.

There are two things I like about our new policy; 1) It gives the company more money, because we need it and I would like to have a job for a bit longer and 2) I get to argue with customers :). Can't wait for work tomorrow! Arguing with the customers that try to blame us for their lack of responsibility is definitely my favorite part of the job.

[quote name='Ed_']
I'm sure you have bub, and of course since you haven't experienced it, it must mean it doesn't exist, right? I guarantee you it happens more than you realize. I can't speak for the quality of hotels you have stayed at, perhaps they were lower quality and therefore did not require a deposit. Or perhaps they chose not to take a deposit from you because they thought you were nice. Though no place would admit it, they do forgo a deposit on someone for numerous reasons. Granted, I recognize that not all places require such a deposit, however it DOES happen at more places than you are aware of. It happens in California, Vegas, Florida, Europe, etc.
[/QUOTE]

Reading all that I'm just rollin'

What fancy ass hotel do you work at anyways?

I've stayed numerous times in Florida (Hilton, Marriott) and Vegas (On the strip, Luxor, Bellagio) and I've never had to give an extra deposit over the usual "hold" that they authorize.

I love this thread. The guys above that pulled the "No speak English" line on their customers must be kids.. cuz that's definitely not the best business practice I've heard of. >_<

The Blockbuster story was great too. Keep them comin.

[quote name='PhrostByte']I love this thread. The guys above that pulled the "No speak English" line on their customers must be kids.. cuz that's definitely not the best business practice I've heard of. >_<

The Blockbuster story was great too. Keep them comin.[/QUOTE]

nope like i said im 33, ive been at my job now for almost 7yrs and make good money, and i havent worked retail since i was 18

[quote name='PhrostByte']I love this thread. The guys above that pulled the "No speak English" line on their customers must be kids.. cuz that's definitely not the best business practice I've heard of. >_<

The Blockbuster story was great too. Keep them comin.[/QUOTE]

If it was my own business, I would fire any employee who tried that crap, but since I was working for Home Depot at the time, I really didn't care if the store was making money or not. I worked there for a few months and the first few weeks I tried and gave a damn. Customers most of the time didn't show any gratitude.

It was funny though because most of the customers who bothered me seemed to be illiterate or blind. It's one thing to ask if we carry a specific screw or something to save some time, it's just pathetic that you have to ask where the Rental area is, when the biggest thing in the store is a sign indicating where the rental area is.

Me: Ma'am it's right over there (pointing towards the sign) you see that huge blue sign saying Rental just go towards there.
Lady: Oh, How did I miss that, I saw it while I was walking in too.
Me: Well I think the company just needs to make it bigger that way you can see it from anywhere in the store.
Lady: Oh yes that would be lovely, I would never forget where it is again.

Nasa put a man on the moon.... its no where near as hard as NAVIGATING THROUGH A HOME DEPOT.

Oh man ....must resist .... too tired and early shift .... will post later Home Deport stories

[borg] Resistance is futile [/borg]

As an Ex HD employee I can finally tell some of these...

When I was a cashieer I'm ringing up a customer [with alot of larger merch] by the lumber lanes wich unfortunatly is on a major corner of the store. So Im crouched down scanning underneath merchandise trying to get everything hidden under the lumber [as they teach you]. When the most pushy biznatch that I ever encountered while at this store storms up (High 30's or low 40's). In her best indignant voice "Excuse me where can I find the Brooms!". Never mind I'm scanning a customer at a register nor that I'm half way pinned / crouching under a cart full of merchandise. Since I'm used to beng a store directory I blurt "Cleaning Supplies Isle 24" Pointing in its direction with out even looking up, probably grunted out since I was crouched.

"Well where the HELL is Isle 24?" [Pet peeve number #1]*

[myself] "oh carp here we go" [/myself] I proceed to pull myself out from under the cart. As I'm half way stood up
"Well are YOU going to answer me?" Never mind the register I'm at is right next to the pro desk with 2 more aprons from what I could tell doing nothing. Nope she just has to have the info from me.

I finish standing up look her strait in the eye and then to my left at the Isle numbered right next to us. "Welp that looks to be Isle 22 right there. After that is Isle 23 and the one after that is 24. Brooms are are on the first bay on your left as you walk in that isle." All while doing my best not to give her the evil eye and use THE "Friendly and helpfull voice".

"What your Not going to walk with me over there and show me where?!?"

[myself] "Jesus lady you can't walk 3 isles over? Even after I gave you VERY specific instructions where it is!" [/myself]

"M'am I'm running the cash rigister I'm ringing up this gentlemans merchandise for HIM. I'm not allowed to leave my register. Nor leave the door unguarded so that people can just walk out with our merchandise without paying"

In annoyed bitch voice "Well then call someone from that department to show me!!" I proceed to page garden on the over head speakers for her. I proceed ringing my customer up. She stomps off in a huff, what must have been 30 seconds later and heads off to the isle. Comes back just in time for me to finish up my line of customer(S) and slaps the broom down on the counter. Like it's my fault that they guys from guarden didn't sprint across the store over to her.

I ring her up and hand her the reciept. "Well you expect ME to carry it like that?"

"Well I didn't think it'd fit in the bag" [myself] What are you afraid of getting your broom dirty before you get home? It's a broom it's meant to get dirty! [/myself] I proceed to put one of the small shopping bags over the head of the broom.

"NO you idiot where's my shopping cart!" She snaches the broom out of my hand almost hitting me with it in the process and starts storming out the door. [Peeve #2]*

2 hours later on my way to lunch Manager stops me "Lady complained about you said you where rude and refused to help her." I told him the story "Oh must have been the tone of voice you used" I just blinked a few times [WTF] and then walked away hanging my head.

[Peeve #1]*: They fricking lable EVERY isle in the store with large numbers and Department and category merchandise they carry just above head level. If you take 2 seconds and have a vague idea what your looking for you probably can guess where merchadise *might* be. Never mind I'm a cashieer and don't get to walk around the store like most of the employees. Afterall if your standing any where near the doors you MUST be a Human directory and know where every product no matter how obscure is [or even incorrect names and non-existant items]. Never mind theres a GIANT Directory board hanging over head by entrance Larger than life detailing where common items are by isle number and a map showing where you are and where each isle number is.

[Peeve #2]* Why is it EVERY grocery store when customers walk in they automatically grab a cart. But when they walk into Hells Depot, past the racks of carts thats by every and ALL the entrances, never mind all the ones left out in the parking lott probably where you parked. They can be coming specifically for multiple 4x8 sheets of ply wood or dry wall, a generator, 10 40lb bags of sand or more than 4 large patio blocks. They want help lifting this stuff but when I ask "Sure I'll help, where's your cart?" Answer: "What cart?" or "What you don't Keep them INSIDE THE STORE?" I can barely resist doing face palms. "Don't worry I'll get you one"

[myself] What did you expect carrying something this big out on your shoulder?... Never mind I'm a cashieer. I'm an apron just walking through the store not like they are suppsed to know I don't work in the other departments.
Apron = I must work in ALL departments. [/myself]

And For those of you with shorter attention spans...

Can't remeber if this was my story or a fellow college but ...

It was during my 3rd week at the store guy walking in the door and Asks "Where are the Flame Throwers?" I had just got comfortable with mostly knowing where the merchandise was located in the store by then. thought for a second
"Um I'm pretty sure we don't carry Flame throwers ... unless you mean a blow torch ... Why what are you working on?"

"I need to get Bees off the side of my house"

I raised my eye brows at that one "Oh you need hornet spay then just make sure you use at night it's isle 21 in garden that way"

Thank god I asked why. I was about to tell him about the Tar Melter for roofing or how to make one with a aerosol can and a match. I read the town papers for a week hoping there'd be a bee related fire in the News.

back when i was 17 i worked at kmart in the back unloading the trucks, we wore jeans and tshirts but our manager made us wear the stupid vests when we went out in the store for something, well whenever someone would ask me where something obvious was located (like when they were standing right in front of it) i would always send them to the farthest opposite side of the store lol, by the time they came back mad i was already back in the warehouse lmao

The other day I notice a gal running back and forth from my department to some other place in the store until she finally comes up to me and starts this awesome conversation:

"Do you have any microsoft office?"
"Hmm, I'm pretty sure we're all out right now, but lets go to the computer just to be sure."
"Alright, I'm looking for the small business one that I can put on three computers."
"I'm pretty sure the small business only has one computer license per box but we'll see."
"No, I'm pretty sure that over at office depot, theirs had 3 licenses."
"Ok, looking in the computer it shows that we don't have any in right now. And looking at the box here for it, it doesn't say anything about having three licenses; I'm pretty sure that only the home and student has the ability to be put on three computers."
"No, on the back in very small letters, it said that all of them could do three computers."
*I look on the back* "No ma'am, on the back here it says that only the home and student has three licenses."
"That's not what the office depot box said. The small business one even had a little box on the front saying that it could be put on three computers"
"Ma'am, that is only on the home and student, it was the same way here too."
"No, that's not what I was reading, I was reading the small business one."
"As far as I could remember, only the home and student has come with three licenses."
"Oh, you know what, maybe I was reading the home and student box, alright, goodbye."

More Orange Hardware Wharehouse tales...

As I stated I was a chashieer. In our store Refunds is to the left [South] of the entrance Flooring/carpets is to the Right [North] and paint is Behind me [East] and Lightbulbs Opposite Corner [South West]

How many times do I get asked where doormats / carpets are? Or light bulbs? Where can I find spray PAINT?

MOST of the time I'll just smile and say nothing and point in the direction of the GIANT BANNER hanging over the isle saying "FLOORING" / "LIGHTBULBS" / "PAINT". and I I'll just get a meek "Oops"

Walk in Don't look around your surroundings, fine , just don't run over customers or our displays. Hell navagate with your eyes shut for all I care. Nor look at the GAINT directory hanging overhead at the corner of the intersection by entrance. Fine by me, small percentages of people are iliterate or can't read our language. BUT DON"T GET BITCHY OR INDIGNANT when you realize how how stupid you are or just made yourself look.

[Myself] *Reminders for later stories*
(I'll take requests if any intrest is piqued)
=============
Kids stands on carts and Selfchek out
-------------
Surfing flat carts
-------------
Shoplifting a BBQ grill / mower
-------------
Cristmas trees fiascos
-------------
Returning toilets/seats, drain snakes, dead plants, Gas equip
-------------
"Don't return item to store" Label / Do not duplicate key
-------------
Fights over who's next in line or last piece of merchandise.
-------------
"Can't you open another register"
-------------
Fork lifts Tiles
-------------
Food/Cups/spitting Isles
-------------
Bathroom man
-------------
Telepathy
-------------
Broken equipment
-------------
Wood hangers
-------------
Loaders

[quote name='Zillions']More Orange Hardware Wharehouse tales...

As I stated I was a chashieer. In our store Refunds is to the left [South] of the entrance Flooring/carpets is to the Right [West] and paint is Behind me [East] and Lightbulbs Opposite Corner [South West]

How many times do I get asked where doormats / carpets are? Or light bulbs? Where can I find spray PAINT?

MOST of the time I'll just smile and say nothing and point in the direction of the GIANT BANNER hanging over the isle saying "FLOORING / LIGHTBULBS / PAINT". and I I'll just get a meek "Oops"

Walk in don't look around your surroundings just don't run over customers or our displays hell navagate with your eyes shut for all I care. Nor the GAINT directory hanging overhead at the corner intersection by entrance. Fine by me, small percentages of people are iliterate or can't read our language. BUT DON"T GET BITCHY OR INDIGNANT when you realize how how stupid you are or just made yourself look.

[Myself] *Reminders for later stories*
(I'll take requests if any intrest is piqued)
=============
Kids stands on carts and Selfchek out
-------------
Surfing flat carts
-------------
Shoplifting a BBQ grill / mower
-------------
Cristmas trees fiascos
-------------
Returning toilets/seats, drain snakes, dead plants, Gas equip
-------------
"Don't return item to store" Label
-------------
Fights over who's next in line or last piece of merchandise.
-------------
"Can't you open another register"
-------------
Fork lifts Tiles
-------------
Food/Cups/spitting Isles
-------------
Bathroom man[/QUOTE]

Tell me about the bathroom fuckin man.

EDIT: So I cleared out my long and boring story for something better. I can deal with people not being able to find the iPods even though there is a huge sign about 10ft from the gaming dept (where I work) but what makes me mad, beyond belief, is when I say I'm 100% sure of something and they don't believe me.....even if I should them on one of the computers.

The day Dante's Inferno was released I had an older guy (late 30's) asking for Dante's Inferno for the PC:
Guy: So where are all your PC copies of Dante's Inferno?
Me: Didn't come out for PC.
Guy: It did come out for PC, I saw it earlier today.
Me: You might have seen an announcement for it or something. Maybe they are bringing it to PC like Assassin's Creed 2 but it will be months before its in stores.
Guy: Dude you're not listening. I just saw it at Gamestop and they only had a few boxes left!
(First, you're like twice my age. Why are you calling me dude? Second, if you saw it at Gamestop why didn't you buy it there?)
Me: I have only seen it for PSP, 360 and PS3. Maybe you're thinking of the movie since it was released today as well.
Guy: Can't believe you guys don't have it......
(not to be 'owned' by this guy I tell him I'll double-check, just in case. I check Dante's Inferno's website, our website, gamestop's website, wikipedia, amazon and was even tempted to call my friend who was working at Gamestop while this was happening)
Me: I checked the game's website, our website, Gamestop's website and wikipedia and couldn't find it or even a date for it on PC.
Guy: Geez, can't believe you guys don't have it for PC. You're going to lose out on so much money.
(I had to bite my lip to stop from laughing)

I also have people coming in on Thursdays and Fridays asking for movies that aren't released to the upcoming Tuesday. I try to explain Tuesday is when movies are normally released but they claim they saw boxes of it at another store which raises the question 'WHY DIDN'T YOU BUY IT THERE?!?!' Not sure what causes people to come to BestBuy when they are in a bad mood.

I've bought 4 PC games in the last 3 years. One was TF 2 because it was at the CC liquidation for $10. Second was Red Alert 3 CE because it was $10 at Best Buy. Third was Press Your Luck 2010 from Amazon (still regret that one but I love Press Your Luck and I don't have a Wii,) and last was The Witcher Enhanced b/c it's OoP and Walmart had it for $20.

In that same time frame, I've probably bought 60-80 console games. It's funny how out of the loop some people like that are. Why would anyone even want to play a game like that on the PC? It's made for a console controller. There's no guarantee even that you could use a 360 controller for it (Bioshock 2 did not support 360 controllers on the PC version.)

Worked at a different BBV yesterday to help my former SM cover a shift. It was the worst night ever. 4 customer complaints... something that rarely happens just so happens to occur FOUR times in a day.

Here's my best.

*I'm trying to put away about 200 movies in their respective spots and I get called up front by my CSR about a guy who is pissed off*
Me: So, what's up?
Guy: These movies are late, I think.
Me: *checks them in* Yeah, they were all 4 days late so now there's a balance of $25.68 on your account.
Guy: *hands me his BBV card* Ok, here's my card.
Me: And what am I going to do with this?
Guy: You can have it. I'm done with you guys.
Me: Because of this balance?
Guy: Yeah.
Me: Well, I can credit it off for you, but just this one time.
Guy: That's not good enough.
Me: Well, I don't know what else you want me to do.
Guy: That's still not good enough. I spend $50 a week here. I shouldn't have to deal with due dates.
Me: I'm sorry, but I don't make the policies. It's the same for everyone. I can't just make an exception to the rule or I'll have to do it for everyone.
Guy: Still not good enough.
Me: So, what about the balance?
Guy: I'm not paying it.
Me: You do know it will eventually go into collections, right?
Guy: I don't give a shit. I still won't pay it.
Me: Ok, then.
*Guy leaves and I preauthorize his credit card on file for $1 and check his history. His history shows he hasn't even spent $50 in the entire month of March yet... The preauth goes through successfully and I crack a smile knowing that his balance of $24.xx will be charged to the credit card on file at midnight when we close*

I'm just praying to god my district manager or that my former SM don't hear about this guy. I will most likely get written up for this even though I did everything in my power to keep the customer. I really don't get what he wanted me to do...

And this one happened to a coworker of mine.

*coworker picks up phone*
Coworker: Thank you for calling BBV, how can I help you?
Woman: Yeah, I rented movies there the other day and I won't be able to return them on time.
Coworker: I'm sorry, but there's nothing I can do about that.
Woman: What? Why not?
Coworker: Because there isn't?
Woman: Well, WHY NOT? You guys should have never let me rent movies if you KNEW I wasn't going to have a ride to go there and drop the movies off!
*My coworker has a short fuse and customers yelling at her or blaming her for something clearly not her fault pisses her off*
Coworker: If you were responsible enough to come to Blockbuster and rent those movies, then you should be responsible enough to bring them back on time or deal with the consequences of them being a day late. It's call responsibility lady. And you only live 2 blocks away. It's 65 degrees outside today. Get off the couch and come drop the movies off if you don't want to pay an extra $2.
*coworker waits for a response and the hears the click*

I gave my coworker a high five on that one. She just so happened to be using the phone on speaker phone so I heard all of it.

[quote name='DarkRider23']
Me: Well, I can credit it off for you, but just this one time.
Guy: That's not good enough.
Me: Well, I don't know what else you want me to do.
Guy: That's still not good enough. I spend $50 a week here. I shouldn't have to deal with due dates
....[/QUOTE]
See THAT is what is exactly wrong with that CS/BS mentality.
They know that they are wrong and you even go beyond logic hoping that you'd keep them as a customer to somehow get back the money in the long run. Hello late fees anyone. Never mind that is exactly the type of "customer" you want to discourage coming in but now you reward them for being an ignorant arse hat.

Yet now he thinks that he's entitled to more, after all, if your extending an olive branch like that. It must clearly show how wrong YOU where and for the inconvenience of the situation you must compensate HIM. They should change the term back to late fines, not fees. That way it's more like a parking ticket so you can suspend his license with enough points. Let's see corporate take THAT to the bank :p.

*rubbing it in* Oh btw is sounds like he's the prefect candidate for Netflix or the BBV equivalent *evil grin*.
-----------------------------------------------------------------

And since some one made the request

[~*GROSS Warning*~] HD = Home Defecate [~*GROSS Warning*~]

A.k.a. The Bathroom Man
There was a older gentleman that was a regular in our store He'd come in chat up some of our more "tolerant"/friendly associates as some elderly with no friends tend to do. But He'd always have this stench about him. Now granted he might have been wearing adult dipers since I met him and I'd hate to be in the situation where'd I'd need adult diapers. Odd thing it was always or at least for me, a different odor each time I met him.

Thing is he's walk around the store a few times and rarely buy some thing. So I figured he's using this place as an indoor walk track like to old lady's do in the mall [which was right next door] he must like the company here better I figured.

[Incident #1]
------------
Granted this was all relayed to me by a coworker since it was my day off [thank god] but since I was told the same story so many times in one day I'm pretty sure of the details.

Turns out this guy always asks where the bathroom is when he comes in probably asking which is closer to the entrance he came in. This time after about 40ft in the store his bowels must have broke open or something. Cause he left a trail that started as droplets and eventually became a stream of diarrhea that was running down his leg. So ALLLLL the way through our lumber isle/department is this trail of sewage to the bathroom through the door into the stalls. Inside the stall he must have exploded without even sitting down since most of if "shotgunned" at the bowl almost point blank and back splashed the surrounding area including 3 stall walls.
Only reason we found out it was him another customer ratted him out. He didn't even try cleaning ANY of it up nor let any one know there might be a problem to deal with. We had to call a hazmat team to come in and clean that up cause all the employees refused, including management. Those teams cost $3k+ per hour. Manager would have "tried" to have him banned then and there but he was already gone. Imagine having to rope off 1/4 of the store with caution tape because of that incident.

Now granted I guess it's statistically inevitable public bathrooms are going to have an incident like this eventually. After all between some one getting sick and/or elderly it's going to happen but not something that nightmarish level. Normally a one time incident I wouldn't make fun of BUT it was ...

[Incident #2] ...that Earned him his Reputation.
----------------

Obviously we didn't see him for quite some time after that. Eventually he came back employees made notes when he came in and watched out for "Trails". One day I was just getting back from lunch and I notice him on his way out the door. "oh Crap" as I caught a whiff from 10ft away. I stupidly punch in and head for the bathroom to see the damage. Just cracking open the bathroom door I could smell a problem [see what I did there]. "Oh god let it just be a clogged toilet"

Hey it happens more routinely than I'd like but it's an easy plunger fix. We keep one in the handy capable stalls just for that. Sometimes they get clogged when people use the paper "sanitation" seat covers and people throw it in the bowl like toilet paper. Theyre supposed to be biodegradeable BUT they have to sit a few seconds in the water before they soften, hence the clogs, good luck getting people to wait before they flush. That an some people just use WAY too much paper but since they aren't paying for it try getting them to care. Oh btw incase you guys don't know the same bathrooms are where employees are expected to use.

Next was best described as an image from movie Dream catcher (by Steven King). Fecal matter every where in the stall, a "ruined" set of underwear slapped up and stuck against the brick wall held up by it's own "stickiness", and an "explosion" this time so big that it even hit some of the celing tiles above. Not only did I bug out of there so fast but I could taste my lunch. On my way out I have to wave a father and son away not explaining why in a hurry to get the manager. On our way back apparently they went in any way. In front of his 8yr old no less at me/us he yells "You @$$ holes really should clean your bathrooms more" "Well no shit sherl..." I had to cut my self off and run for a garbage can when I noticed the kids white sneakers covered in brown. [AND Yeah I got reprimanded for talking to the customer like that.] But seriously who lets their kid touch some thing like that when theres other stalls? Let alone go in when I had already warned them.

And hence we nick named the elderly gent "Bathroom Man".

Best of all cause we weren't allowed to kick out / ban a customer especially for "acts of nature" he's still a semi regular but now he uses a electric mobile cart. One of our more artistic members drew a characture of him on a toilet with wheels and handle bars, but the picture was confiscated. I found out later that the manager keeps it in a folder, along with the incident reports, in his desk as a badge of honor or horror.

Here's a good one that happens all too often...

customer-"I'd like to return this new controller I bought because it does not work."

me-"Did you sync it?

customer-"Did I what?"

SIGH

me-"Did you sync it? You have to sync it to your system before it will work."

customer-"I don't know it just doesn't work."

I then explain the syncing process yet again while wondering how the hell they got their first controller(s) working. :roll:

Here's a classic;

*Lady comes up to the register*
Me: How are you... *gets cut off*
Lady: *Throws movies at me* You have to credit my account because my husband brought the movies to the wrong Blockbuster.
Me: Hey, SM, this is all you.

I didn't even want to deal with the bitch. I'm glad my SM was there and handled her like a champ. Normally, we're supposed to bend over backwards to help customers, but this time she ended up paying something like $36 because of her stupid mistake. Maybe if she had come up to the register and said "Can you give me a one-time credit?" we would have been forgiving, but when you come up to the register and demand us to give you money for something that's clearly your fault, that doesn't work.

[quote name='SaveSome']Nasa put a man on the moon.... its no where near as hard as NAVIGATING THROUGH A HOME DEPOT.[/QUOTE]

No way! Oh, that's great.

WE LANDED ON THE MOON!

the only posts I want to see in this thread are about employee theft and drinking on the job

if there are any may someone direct me, if not good day

[quote name='DuelLady']My fiance is constantly asked where things are at stores, regardless of what he is wearing.

We've decided it's a confidence thing- if you look like you know what you're doing, you work there. Meaning anyone who does their research beforehand and shops well is going to be mistaken for an employee.

If you want it to stop, walk around slowly, act a little confused, go back and forth around the same display, and pick up the same 2 times five or six times. You'll probably get left alone.

And never wear a collared shirt. That always seems to make it worse.[/QUOTE]

I hate to sound like an ass, actually I don't care, but you are dead wrong about this. if I decide to buy something that can only be bought at a game store then I will buy it and no one is going to think I work there. if you look like a godawful nerd or a lousy shitbag then of course people are going to assume you work at the associated retail store.

collared shirts don't necessarily have much to do with being mistaken for a store employee, but if you look like someone who would only wear graphic t shirts except when at work then I can see how there would be confusion

[quote name='kyleboller']I hate to sound like an ass, actually I don't care, but you are dead wrong about this. if I decide to buy something that can only be bought at a game store then I will buy it and no one is going to think I work there. if you look like a godawful nerd or a lousy shitbag then of course people are going to assume you work at the associated retail store.

collared shirts don't necessarily have much to do with being mistaken for a store employee, but if you look like someone who would only wear graphic t shirts except when at work then I can see how there would be confusion[/QUOTE]

So you're basically saying anyone who looks like they would wear a certain type of clothing (based on their looks of all things, when clothing is typically dependent on personality) who is wearing a polo is the only person who could be mistaken for an employee?

Polos are typically worn by employees at MANY places so it's not a reach of the imagination to think ignorant customers assume anyone in a polo is an employee. I've been asked, when wearing my work clothes (surprise...a POLO!) if I work at a store I happen to be shopping in ... yep, even with an embroidered store name that indicates otherwise, while I was talking on my phone, and carrying a basket. That said, I've occasionally been asked the same question in street clothes.

By the way, your posts make you sound like an asshat and if you're too lazy to just browse the thread for something you find interesting, don't think we're going to pony up and say, "Wow, this guy needs help...I'll waste an hour or so looking up shit that he can click the previous page button to find."

I looooooooove when people pull the "I spend a ton of money here!" shit. I just hit member history.. "sir, it looks like you've bought one thing in the past six months".. "oh".

I've been getting a LOT of people walking in and throwing games down on the counter at me. I just look at them and go "What?". I hate that level of disrespect. You either ask me to buff them or ask them to be traded in, you don't just throw shit at me.

[quote name='randomoutburst']So you're basically saying anyone who looks like they would wear a certain type of clothing (based on their looks of all things, when clothing is typically dependent on personality) who is wearing a polo is the only person who could be mistaken for an employee?

Polos are typically worn by employees at MANY places so it's not a reach of the imagination to think ignorant customers assume anyone in a polo is an employee. I've been asked, when wearing my work clothes (surprise...a POLO!) if I work at a store I happen to be shopping in ... yep, even with an embroidered store name that indicates otherwise, while I was talking on my phone, and carrying a basket. That said, I've occasionally been asked the same question in street clothes.

By the way, your posts make you sound like an asshat and if you're too lazy to just browse the thread for something you find interesting, don't think we're going to pony up and say, "Wow, this guy needs help...I'll waste an hour or so looking up shit that he can click the previous page button to find."[/QUOTE]

I don't even think you understand what you just posted, but I can tell you I am not too lazy to browse the thread. The post I quoted and responded to was found on page 6 or 7 moron

Recently I've been doing customer service via email for a car dealer. Mind you, I don't do anything post-purchase and these people are still snippy as fuck. I just don't understand how you can be as rude/demented as some of these people are before you've even stepped foot inside to spend even a $1.

I had one loon ask me what was wrong with a truck and told him there was nothing wrong mechanically but that the cab isn't too high so if he's taller than 6'0 he might find it uncomfortable. I get a message back, "This truck has 2WD!!!! THAT'S A MAJOR NEGATIVE!!!"

Another girl asked me "Why did you take this car in?" Because it's in good condition and somebody traded it in? The fuck? Do you know something we don't? It's a Jeep, not an unfixed Toyota.

While I'm on the subject, I *hate* multiple exclamation points/question marks. I get it. You're either angry/excited or asking a question. Emphasizing that just makes you look obnoxious.

So... I was closing up shop at my store today (Blockbuster) and it was about 11:15. I had finished counting all the money, locked the safe and started putting away some games when all of a sudden, I hear a pounding on the door. It's some asshole who wants to come in and rent movies. He continues trying to open the door like a moron and I just point at the sign where our hours are shown.

He then flips me off. I have no idea why, either. The sign clearly states we close at 11 and it was past that already... He starts walking away and then he turns around and does one of those "I'm really pissed off at you, so I'm going to flip you the bird with all the might in my body." I was just laughing. The guy was making an ass of himself for no reason. I kind of felt bad for the lady friend that was with him. She was pretty good looking too. It was a great way to end a great night.

[quote name='kyleboller']I hate to sound like an ass, actually I don't care, but you are dead wrong about this. if I decide to buy something that can only be bought at a game store then I will buy it and no one is going to think I work there. if you look like a godawful nerd or a lousy shitbag then of course people are going to assume you work at the associated retail store.

collared shirts don't necessarily have much to do with being mistaken for a store employee, but if you look like someone who would only wear graphic t shirts except when at work then I can see how there would be confusion[/QUOTE]

I love how you say you 'hate to sound like an ass', then proceed to say my fiance must look like a godawful nerd or a lousy shitbag, but I digress.

I assume when you go to pick up something from a store (ANY store, this isnt just about games), you will walk at a leisurely pace, look over the shelves for awhile, find the item(s), and make your way to the front. In other words, you will browse a bit. My fiance never browses- he walks fast, skims the shelves as quickly as possible for whetever he's there for, them pays and gets the hell out. Couple with a store he knows the layout of, and the end result is someone acting like a rushed employee grabbing items for a project as opposed to a customer. This has happens whether or not he's in an actual polo, a beatup old sweatshirt with no sleeves, leather jacket and skull bandanna. It does happen more often with the polo than anything else.

Thus, the conclusion that it's a 'confidence' issue- if you shop like you know what you want, know where it is, and you're in a hurry to get it, you must be an employee. I have experimented with this at work... when I get off the clock, I head out with my coat on and purse in hand. If I just go get whatever I need at my normal pace, I will get asked questions. However, if I purposely slow down and make an effort to 'browse', I get left alone. Make of it what you will.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back