RetroCon PS2 Controller - $4.99 @ Best Buy

Mojimbo

CAGiversary!
Feedback
67 (100%)
I just saw this at a B&M. Would've picked one up but I already have two first party controllers and can't imagine what I could use this for but I figured some of you might be interested.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=1091102280924&skuId=6818045&type=product

here is a review from IGN:

retrocon_081403_160.jpg

http://gear.ign.com/articles/433/433778p1.html

The RetroCon is sweet. I got one from CC a long time ago for $10. I'm about to get one or two more tomorrow since they're $5 now, my BB has tons of them. Thanks for posting!

Just ordered 2 for instore pick-up. Wow...the last time i used BB online was when i found that little "All Platinum Hits $5" trick well over a year ago....

[quote name='Wshakspear']Just ordered 2 for instore pick-up. Wow...the last time i used BB online was when i found that little "All Platinum Hits $5" trick well over a year ago....[/quote]

Ah, the good ol' days!

Edit: I'm a devil customer. Anyway I can get this cheaper?

[quote name='"Ugamer_X"']I wish I could get one like the one pictured in the IGN review...Hope those are the ones my BB has.[/quote]

The one in the review is the same one you can buy online, and in store. I wouldn't think that Mad Catz would make more than one type and name it the exact same thing. :?:

[quote name='bone_matrix'][quote name='Ugamer_X']I wish I could get one like the one pictured in the IGN review...Hope those are the ones my BB has.[/quote]

The one in the review is the same one you can buy online, and in store. I wouldn't think that Mad Catz would make more than one type and name it the exact same thing. :?:[/quote]

There are several different color schemes available and not all of them are easily found.

There are a few different color schemes for the controller. There's black, grey with grey trim, and grey with blue trim. Maybe others, but those are the 3 I saw. The conroller is a little small, but for $5 and the style factor it's worth it.

[quote name='rapsodist'][quote name='bone_matrix'][quote name='Ugamer_X']I wish I could get one like the one pictured in the IGN review...Hope those are the ones my BB has.[/quote]

The one in the review is the same one you can buy online, and in store. I wouldn't think that Mad Catz would make more than one type and name it the exact same thing. :?:[/quote]

There are several different color schemes available and not all of them are easily found.[/quote]
Yes, the one I have is blue rimmed with a silver face-plate. I've seen the ones that are gray rimmed with a silver face-plate in stores. I haven't seen the black one from the IGN article in quite a while.

Yeah, I have a blue one. Highly recommended for PS1 games, but the L3 and R3 buttons don't click too well for first person shooters, etc.

Hey, any of you guys that get it...I noticed this recently when trying to play Tekken Tag Tournement on my relatively new PStwo...

With the Mad Catz controllers (including the retrocon and the microcon), we could not get the controller to properly respond with two buttons at the same time. I.E. you are doing a move that requires X and O and the same time, or triangle and X, etc. You get triangleX or XO or whatever in quick succession.

I double checked...switching ports, reseating, and everything. First Party controller works fine, another cheap offbrand controller works fine. But the retrocon and microcon WOULD NOT do it.

I am guessing this is a PStwo issue. Anybody else that gets this and has a normal PS2, or a new PStwo - can you confirm or deny?

[quote name='GreenMonkey']Hey, any of you guys that get it...I noticed this recently when trying to play Tekken Tag Tournement on my relatively new PStwo...

With the Mad Catz controllers (including the retrocon and the microcon), we could not get the controller to properly respond with two buttons at the same time. I.E. you are doing a move that requires X and O and the same time, or triangle and X, etc. You get triangleX or XO or whatever in quick succession.

I double checked...switching ports, reseating, and everything. First Party controller works fine, another cheap offbrand controller works fine. But the retrocon and microcon WOULD NOT do it.

I am guessing this is a PStwo issue. Anybody else that gets this and has a normal PS2, or a new PStwo - can you confirm or deny?[/quote]
It works fine on an old PS2...I just tried it on TTT.

[quote name='flybrione'][quote name='starman9000']Do these work with PSones?[/quote]

That is a good question! Anyone know?[/quote]

i would assume so, since any ps2 controller ive ever tried in a ps1 has, theres a small chance it wont, but for 5 bucks i say worth the risk before they are sold out (im guessing each store only have between 0-5 of these..)

[quote name='punqsux'][quote name='flybrione'][quote name='starman9000']Do these work with PSones?[/quote]

i would assume so, since any ps2 controller ive ever tried in a ps1 has, theres a small chance it wont, but for 5 bucks i say worth the risk before they are sold out (im guessing each store only have between 0-5 of these..)[/quote]

Thanks, might be good to use for my new psone and screen in the car...well, if there are any left.

Nope the glitch is dead. I tried today with a 19.99 game 2 retrocons and a NGC case. I only got $5 off the game.

:evil:

Anyone else try using this with the PSTwo and have the multi button issue? I don't have Tekken tag tournament. But if this is a known problem I might need to grab a PS2 system from somewhere quick. :)

I love this controller. This I bought it months back at CC for $10 it's been the only PS2 controller I use. Unless you play a lot of FPSs on the PS2 this is an awesome controller.

[quote name='starman9000'][quote name='punqsux'][quote name='flybrione'][quote name='starman9000']Do these work with PSones?[/quote]

i would assume so, since any ps2 controller ive ever tried in a ps1 has, theres a small chance it wont, but for 5 bucks i say worth the risk before they are sold out (im guessing each store only have between 0-5 of these..)[/quote]

Thanks, might be good to use for my new psone and screen in the car...well, if there are any left.[/quote]

there were a lot left at mine. Still marked at 14.99 as well.

I plan on getting another tomorrow

and on the package it says comp. with PSOne

bread's done
Back