RetroCon PS2 Controller - $4.99 @ Best Buy

Mojimbo

CAGiversary!
Feedback
67 (100%)
I just saw this at a B&M. Would've picked one up but I already have two first party controllers and can't imagine what I could use this for but I figured some of you might be interested.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=1091102280924&skuId=6818045&type=product

here is a review from IGN:

retrocon_081403_160.jpg

http://gear.ign.com/articles/433/433778p1.html

I got one and tried playing KOF2003 with it. It's no good for fighting games (half circles are a pain in the ass to pull off). But for Megaman AC, its all right. With Sonic and MMAC coming to Xbox, I think its appropriate for the Retrocon to be released for Xbox.

I just bought two of these awesome controllers yesterday. Store still has probably 10-15 of them. Great price but because of these, they have reminded me again why I hate going into a BB store. I know it's rather unCAG like, but I'd rather go to some other store and give out a couple more dollars then to step into a BB. Employees suck and stores suck.

[quote name='oper00'][quote name='bradr']The L/R 1/2 buttons give me a bit of trouble. Otherwise, it was more solid than I originally thought! Great deal for $5.[/quote]

to me, the analog controller looks cheap.. but that's just me

i dare not to play katamari with this controller[/quote]

It does look cheap. When I saw it through the blister pack at BB, I thought it was made of hollow thin white plastic. When I opened it, I was surprised that it wasn't as flimsy as I thought. I've played a little with it, gave it a decent workout (played Street for a couple of hours) and it worked fine. Just the shoulder buttons :?

[quote name='rallen']I picked up one at Best Buy today and the cashier asked if I wanted to buy the protection plan with it.

I asked how much, and she said ,"7.99"

I told her, "Do you really expect me to pay eight dollars to protect a five dollar controller", and she said, "Yeah, cause it's like for two years. It's a really good deal."

Kids these days![/quote]

That is simply hilarious! I bet the cashier had no clue these controllers come with a 5 year manufacturers warranty!

Oh I was going to mention if you guys want the 5 year warranty make sure you register the product on the Madcatz.com website. When it asks you the 6 digits of the upc the code is 582029 for those of you that threw away the box. Be sure to save your receipt as you will need this to get a replacement controller if it ever breaks in 5 years.

[quote name='Purkeynator']Oh I was going to mention if you guys want the 5 year warranty make sure you register the product on the Madcatz.com website. When it asks you the 6 digits of the upc the code is 582029 for those of you that threw away the box. Be sure to save your receipt as you will need this to get a replacement controller if it ever breaks in 5 years.[/quote]

Thanks for the tip!

[quote name='hiccupleftovers'][quote name='Mr Peanut']I picked two up earlier today.. :D[/quote]

I know you asked earlier about where I picked up mine (I was cleaning up my computer from that nasty hack from yesterday), but if you still wondering I picked up my first two at the BB on Rainbow and the second pair from the store on Maryland. Where did you pick up yours?[/quote]

Got mine in the Henderson BB.. After I got my two, there was one left on the shelf.

I saw these last weekend and passed, but I guess I'll have to pick up a couple next time I stop by BB. Sounds like they're really worth the money, especially with the 5-year warranty.

Mine dont work well with the Xbox-Ps2 adapter.. when i tested it out with halo it randomly pressed buttons, even when i wasnt touching the controller at all. I also tried the controller on my ps2 with ddr and i couldnt find anything wrong, except for maybe the response is a little off. but overall,this controller is worth $5.

[quote name='DigitalSpace']I'm even thinking about going back to Best Buy and getting another one.

Thanks OP! :)[/quote]

I decided to go ahead and pick up another silver one, and I just got back.

There are about 8 left at the Best Buy in Clackamas, OR, in silver and blue.

I went to Bestbuy today and was planned to buy the controller... they have a lot in stock... but the controller looks soooo ugly I changed my mind and didn't get it.

I finally managed to use the two of them that I picked up a couple weeks back and I was quite impressed with them. GF loves 'em. Nice feel, very light, for $5 with a 5-year warranty on em, best value money I've spent due to CAG in a great whie.

Thanks OP, I pick up the one with the black face so it would match my PS2. I can't wait to try out the D pad it looks like it would be good for fighting games and Winning Eleven 8.

[quote name='MadFlava']I can't wait to try out the D pad it looks like it would be good for fighting games and Winning Eleven 8.[/quote]
Just heads up; the D-pad sucks for fighting games, IMO. Also, mine is having huge problems w/ calibration; the left stick keeps thinking I'm pushing it lightly to the left.

Love it, though.

[quote name='miriamleo']I went to Bestbuy today and was planned to buy the controller... they have a lot in stock... but the controller looks soooo ugly I changed my mind and didn't get it.[/quote]

I really don't thing they are that bad looking. Actually I find that they are very aesthetically appealing since I like the old look of the old Nintendo controllers. I don't think that just because the look of a controller isn't appealing to you should determine whether or not you buy one.

[quote name='cruzincontrol']These are still in stock....damn I keep forgetting to check it out...[/quote]

My stores still have tons in-stock. I'm amazed that these haven't sold out yet since most deals on CAG, and especially one as good as this, normally go within seconds.

[quote name='hiccupleftovers'][quote name='cruzincontrol']These are still in stock....damn I keep forgetting to check it out...[/quote]

My stores still have tons in-stock. I'm amazed that these haven't sold out yet since most deals on CAG, and especially one as good as this, normally go within seconds.[/quote]

Has it leaked to that place that shall not be named?

I love the feel of the sticks on these, very tight. I think these controllers are a perfect complement to the PSOne combo. Far more portable than the regular Dual Shock.

[quote name='shrike4242'][quote name='hiccupleftovers'][quote name='cruzincontrol']These are still in stock....damn I keep forgetting to check it out...[/quote]

My stores still have tons in-stock. I'm amazed that these haven't sold out yet since most deals on CAG, and especially one as good as this, normally go within seconds.[/quote]

Has it leaked to that place that shall not be named?[/quote]

No idea....anybody know?

[quote name='hiccupleftovers'][quote name='shrike4242'][quote name='hiccupleftovers'][quote name='cruzincontrol']These are still in stock....damn I keep forgetting to check it out...[/quote]

Has it leaked to that place that shall not be named?[/quote]

No idea....anybody know?[/quote]

According to the Magic 8-Ball, signs point to no.

My BB still has a bunch, due to the fact that they still have it "priced" at $14.99, but rings up at $4.99...when I checked out, the worker was surprised and told me he would have to go pick some up after his shift.

[quote name='emperordahc'][quote name='MadFlava']I can't wait to try out the D pad it looks like it would be good for fighting games and Winning Eleven 8.[/quote]
Just heads up; the D-pad sucks for fighting games, IMO. Also, mine is having huge problems w/ calibration; the left stick keeps thinking I'm pushing it lightly to the left.

Love it, though.[/quote]

Definitely an IMO. I think that the pad is better than any of the other controllers I've played with.

Admittedly, I don't have any 2D PS2 fighters yet. Just SCII and MK:DA. But it works well enough for me for those games. :)

[quote name='lyric706']SUCKERS! j/k BB just dropped them to $4.24!!!![/quote]

Are you telling the truth? If so I'll gladly go back to my crappy ol' BB and demand for the difference. Don't they have to PM it if it is within 14 or 30 days of when you bought it or something like that?

not trying to burst anyone's bubble, but these controllers flat out suck. I used mine for less than an hour and it does not work. It gives me errors telling me that a controller is not plugged in the socket. I know it is the controller because the ports work fine with my dance pads and regular controller

[quote name='CaseyRyback']not trying to burst anyone's bubble, but these controllers flat out suck. I used mine for less than an hour and it does not work. It gives me errors telling me that a controller is not plugged in the socket. I know it is the controller because the ports work fine with my dance pads and regular controller[/quote]

Strange....never had that problem so far and I've probably logged in a few hours (again) on PoP with the controller and it seems fine.

I bought one of these last year along with a PS2 lightgun from CC. They were $10 bucks each. I've only used mine to play VJ. I have yet to have any type of problems though. Not the greatest controller in the world but it is pretty cool looking when it's all lit up.

What colors is everyone buying??
I just bought 2 for $9.01 after tax(the price did drop to $4.24)
I saw they had the:
light silver face & trim
dark silver(grey)face & silver trim
dark silver(grey)face & dark blue trim *
black face with silver trim*
I bought the ones marked with *

I was wondering what other color schemes are available.

[quote name='CaseyRyback']not trying to burst anyone's bubble, but these controllers flat out suck. I used mine for less than an hour and it does not work. It gives me errors telling me that a controller is not plugged in the socket. I know it is the controller because the ports work fine with my dance pads and regular controller[/quote]

Damn man, I've used mine a bunch of times with no problems. Maybe yours is defective? Maybe you can exchange it or take advantage of the 5 year warranty.

Is it $4.24 in stores or is that the price online? I guess I'll pick one up or maybe two. My other Mad catz (free w/rebate) controller is worn out.

[quote name='jngx80']Is it $4.24 in stores or is that the price online? I guess I'll pick one up or maybe two. My other Mad catz (free w/rebate) controller is worn out.[/quote]

Not sure about online, but definitely in stores. I got 2 about a week and a half ago, and they're really good controllers IMHO

I just got mine, played for about 2 hours. I've found that on the 2 controllers i bought, they both randomly press buttons if i press the analog stick in a certain direction. Playing Devil May Cry, I do a sword slash and fire randomly every time I move wrong. Oh well, I just bought it for my ps2->usb adaptor. Now I can play NES games more comfortably. I only reccommend it because its $5, and I'm going to return it and (hopefully) get one taht doesn't glitch out.

OK The $4.24 price came up on the Web site yesterday because they were running a 15% all video game accessories. I ordered two and will pick them up today at my local BB!

[quote name='Santurio']What colors is everyone buying??
I just bought 2 for $9.01 after tax(the price did drop to $4.24)
I saw they had the:
light silver face & trim
dark silver(grey)face & silver trim
dark silver(grey)face & dark blue trim *
black face with silver trim*
I bought the ones marked with *

I was wondering what other color schemes are available.[/quote]

Those are all the different colors. I bought light silver and the one with the dark blue trim.

[quote name='lyric706']OK The $4.24 price came up on the Web site yesterday because they were running a 15% all video game accessories. I ordered two and will pick them up today at my local BB![/quote]

Oh O.K. :lol: I was just about to go out today and see if they would price match it down.

[quote name='Trakan'][quote name='CaseyRyback']not trying to burst anyone's bubble, but these controllers flat out suck. I used mine for less than an hour and it does not work. It gives me errors telling me that a controller is not plugged in the socket. I know it is the controller because the ports work fine with my dance pads and regular controller[/quote]

Damn man, I've used mine a bunch of times with no problems. Maybe yours is defective? Maybe you can exchange it or take advantage of the 5 year warranty.[/quote]

mine works fine too...and ive put a few hours into it with ICO

[quote name='KowHunta']I just got mine, played for about 2 hours. I've found that on the 2 controllers i bought, they both randomly press buttons if i press the analog stick in a certain direction. Playing Devil May Cry, I do a sword slash and fire randomly every time I move wrong. Oh well, I just bought it for my ps2->usb adaptor. Now I can play NES games more comfortably. I only reccommend it because its $5, and I'm going to return it and (hopefully) get one taht doesn't glitch out.[/quote]

Is there an analog button on it and is it turned off? I know that with my other mad catz, you can turn off the analog and then the left and right analog stick can be used as the digital buttons, X, tri, circle, sq. This worked for onimusha and maximo, don't remember if you could turn off analog in DMC.

Apparently they are re-filling stock (meaning it's not direct closeout). Have them check the computer shipment list and it will say whether or not any are coming in. The guy told me they would be in on thursday but they were here today (5-6) only 1 black which I bought. Syracuse NY (sucks).

My local BB had some of these out with all the other controllers in a videogame area, and then had a bunch more on a rack with a ton of clearance items. The clearance ones were marked at $3.00! They all rang up at $4.99 though (before the override to $3). I was able to get the silver/black and silver/blue ones.

I'd look around for a clearance area... now to figure out how to cancel my online purchase (it was a store pickup at a more distant store-- they claimed the closest one was out of stock! Must have been because they went to clearance)

I'm surprised these clearance 3rd party controllers are still being talked about after roughly a month. I guess when you put a decent (though not great) uniquely-styled controller together with a decent relatively-unadvertised price you're going to get some people talking, even weeks after the news initially breaks.

i played some dmc 3 and fight night round 2 with it and some other games...and no problem so far...

however, there is an annoying clicking noise for one of the analog sticks though when i move it around..probably from all the intense fight night 2 action...you guys know how much THAT game uses analog sticks :(

[quote name='Samurai X']Yeah very cheap, i would hate to play with this though[/quote]

Why? It looks cheaply made and easily breakable but the thing's surprisingly durable. From the beating that I've been giving it, it's amazing it's still alive.

But I have four of them plus 2 Dualshock 2s, but don't worry guys, from the last time I was at my BB, they still have 10-13 left with another shipment coming in and this isn't counting the other 3 stores in my area.

bread's done
Back