Rez $49.99 new at GameQuestDirect

[quote name='schuerm26']I don't have a problem with them re-realeasing the game(after all it is about money for the game companies, not keeping collector's happy). If there is huge demand for the game why not try to capitalize on it. Where i have a HUGE problem is the fact that they make the damn reprints look the exact same, therefore wiping out any value!! How come they can't do a greatest hits sort of thing and change the cover. Then the originals retain their value but the company still makes money. [/QUOTE]

The first sentence answers the question you posed in the second half of your post.

[quote name='schuerm26']Yeah but it wouldn't cost the company any money to put something on the cover to make it a little bit different.[/QUOTE]

What he's saying is that people will be more likely to buy it if it looks like the original, hence they would sell more and make more.

One thing about how GQD said that Sega did give them exclusivity for this... Why in the world would they only give it to them? If their goal was to make more money, then why not release it everywhere? The game won awards, so why wouldn't they think they could release it in all retailers and it sell? And if GQD is right, and they did somewhow con Sega into giving them exclusivity, then I wonder if Sega knows that they are gouging gamers on eBay and Amazon? I think I might shoot an email over the Sega and see how they feel about the high prices GQD is charging for their products.

Why does it matter if the game was printed at one time versus another? Instead of buying games for their perceived value how about taking that money and saving/investing it instead. Just a thought. You'll probably make more in the long run then you would selling the game later.

Also, this just sounds like a bunch of babies with buyers remorse because they did not get the best price possible.

Game Quest had it first. To get it first, you paid a premium as you would any other product. Which by the way, was much less then any of the prices on ebay.

I find it more sleazy that Gamestop/EB will take a new game and open it because the used value is more then the new value in their system, but that's just me. Them saying they were exclusive does not bother me as at the time they were. Sure it was stretching the truth some, but all retailers seem to do that. Does not make it right, but everyone should be used to it.

If they can get Suikoden 1 & 2 and VP re-released I would be very happy! I say bring on the re-releases! I love them. Sure beats buying off the bay. Keep them original too, screw the collectors, games are for fun and play. Collect for the sake of collecting, not for value.

Games to some people are just like Antiques or China to others. People don't use the China plates they collect them for the rareness and value. Same with the old video games.

I'm not sure how to respond to that schuerm. That's such a false comparison on so many levels; particularly because games can be reprinted identical to the originals (which is the source of your contention). OTOH, antiques can be replicated, but not so that they are indistinguishable from the "real artifact." That's why cubic zirconium has little value, and diamonds have enormous value.

That isn't true. You take Cubic Zarconium to anybody who knows anything and they obviously can tell the distinction. Yes games can be reprinted but until recently it doesn't seem like they have been doing it. Im not saying i agree with collecting games but that is why alot of people do it. Why do people collect china? For it's value and to show off. That is a major reason people collect games. Same with baseball cards.

[quote name='schuerm26']That isn't true. You take Cubic Zarconium to anybody who knows anything and they obviously can tell the distinction.[/QUOTE]

I know. That's what I said.

[quote name='b3b0p']Also, this just sounds like a bunch of babies with buyers remorse because they did not get the best price possible.[/QUOTE]

you missed the point of this site then

[quote name='b3b0p']Game Quest had it first. To get it first, you paid a premium as you would any other product. Which by the way, was much less then any of the prices on ebay.[/QUOTE]

you don't get it, its not about getting it first cause most people here are more than willing to wait for price drops on games, the complaining is about the way GQD tries to unload their inventory on us at premium prices before they're available at other retailers, and they do it by deceptively trying to make it seem that they either got their hands on some lost stash or that they're the only ones who have it

I don't understand why this thread is so large. Rez is/was a rare game, some people want it to play, others want it for their collection, and some want it for both. If you feel $50 is too much to be able to own it for whatever reason, DON'T BUY IT. If you DO buy it, get it with the understanding that it's most likely a repress, and will not be worth as much as it was previously.

In any case, if you're buying videogames to collect (or as a way to make a profit), you should be investing your money elsewhere, as GQD has shown it's possible to get games repressed and re-released with the original artwork, therefore lowering the value of whatever game was repressed.

[quote name='NeoStrider']you missed the point of this site then

you don't get it, its not about getting it first cause most people here are more than willing to wait for price drops on games, the complaining is about the way GQD tries to unload their inventory on us at premium prices before they're available at other retailers, and they do it by deceptively trying to make it seem that they either got their hands on some lost stash or that they're the only ones who have it[/QUOTE]

Cheap Ass Gamer is about cheap games, right? Getting Rez for $50 would have been unheard of just days/week ago. Especially brand new. So, I would say $50 for Rez is a pretty good deal.

No one is forcing them to buy it. I bought Rhapsody from GQD for $50 and I still feel it was a good deal. I could have bought it used off of ebay just days/weeks before for over $100, but I got a brand new copy for $50. I feel pretty good about that purchase.

The only people that seem to be bitching and making a fuss are those that have buyers remorse over $10-$20 if they would have waited a little bit and the collectors who now have a not as sought after collectors piece.

Isn't it $50 used at the Gamestop's? but according to this thread, a brand new copy should be less? I think I might just get a GQD copy instead of a scratched up disk only copy from Gamestop.

This thread does just seem like bunch of collectors crying because their once valuable Rez is not not so valuable now. They want it specially marked or with a white security seal or for $20 less. Are any of you actually reading what you type? You sound like fools!

Let me know when Suikoden 1 & 2 is reprinted. I never had any intention of playing them because of the rediculous price, but with the way things are going I might actually be able to now. To that, I say thanks to whom ever is responsible (even it is GQD).

[quote name='b3b0p']Cheap Ass Gamer is about cheap games, right? Getting Rez for $50 would have been unheard of just days/week ago. Especially brand new. So, I would say $50 for Rez is a pretty good deal.

No one is forcing them to buy it. I bought Rhapsody from GQD for $50 and I still feel it was a good deal. I could have bought it used off of ebay just days/weeks before for over $100, but I got a brand new copy for $50. I feel pretty good about that purchase.

The only people that seem to be bitching and making a fuss are those that have buyers remorse over $10-$20 if they would have waited a little bit and the collectors who now have a not as sought after collectors piece.

Isn't it $50 used at the Gamestop's? but according to this thread, a brand new copy should be less? I think I might just get a GQD copy instead of a scratched up disk only copy from Gamestop.

This thread does just seem like bunch of collectors crying because their once valuable Rez is not not so valuable now. They want it specially marked or with a white security seal or for $20 less. Are any of you actually reading what you type? You sound like fools!

Let me know when Suikoden 1 & 2 is reprinted. I never had any intention of playing them because of the rediculous price, but with the way things are going I might actually be able to now. To that, I say thanks to whom ever is responsible (even it is GQD).[/QUOTE]

Why don't you bother to read the thread?

The point is that basically GQD lied, they said that they were/are the only people who have the game. It was later found that it was not exclusive to them so people got pissed and do not want to make the same mistake twice. Also if it were at Gamestop it would be a new copy being sold as used, just like they did with Gitaroo Man.

[quote name='dtarasev']Why don't you bother to read the thread?

The point is that basically GQD lied, they said that they were/are the only people who have the game. It was later found that it was not exclusive to them so people got pissed and do not want to make the same mistake twice. Also if it were at Gamestop it would be a new copy being sold as used, just like they did with Gitaroo Man.[/QUOTE]

You're never going to get b3bop to listen to anything beyond his own words. You may as well save the effort. I think people here get the idea what a crap company GQD is by now anyway.

[quote name='dtarasev']Why don't you bother to read the thread?

The point is that basically GQD lied, they said that they were/are the only people who have the game. It was later found that it was not exclusive to them so people got pissed and do not want to make the same mistake twice. Also if it were at Gamestop it would be a new copy being sold as used, just like they did with Gitaroo Man.[/QUOTE]

I did, but I don't see the harm it caused. For a short period of time they were/are the only ones as far as I know. It was stretching the truth, but how many people have not done that before?

Getting all worked up over $10 or so price difference is foolish. Either buy the game, don't but it, or buy it someplace else.

I guess I don't see it the same way as everyone else then.

If I feel like playing Rez, at least I know where to get it.

[quote name='fwacce']You're never going to get b3bop to listen to anything beyond his own words. You may as well save the effort. I think people here get the idea what a crap company GQD is by now anyway.[/QUOTE]

I'm sorry, but I have not had a bad experience with GQD. I've ordered a few times from them and everything went fine. No complaints.

They over marketed or stretched the truth (quite a bit according to some). However, their marketing does not bother me and just ignore it. As long as I get what I pay for and in a reasonable amount of time in described condition I'll be pleased.

Many people bitch about Best Buy, but so far I have no reason to. They haven't done anything to me, yet.

However, ask me about PayPal and I'll go ape shit.

I don't see what the big deal is either with the past "deals" and this one. So, they said that they were the only ones who had Rhapsody and Persona 2 available. Rhap and Persona 2 later showed up at GS as used...do any of you know under what circumstances GS got so many in? Were they indeed part of the reprint allocation or did they buy some directly from GQD? I don't know and I imagine that many of you don't know either. I think waxHead's post sums it up perfectly. If you wanted to play Rez and not pay $100 for it, this is a good deal. If you're remembering the CC $5 sale where some people got Rez and expecting that reprinted copies be sold very cheaply, get over it! If you wanted the game with the sticker for collection or resale purposes than I guess you're out of luck. It's certainly not like GQD scammed you out of money. You people chose to believe the hype and put your money down for the game(s) knowing full well it was a reprint. As it was also mentioned previously, it was your impatience that prevented you from saving an extra $10 by buying it at GS.

[quote name='b3b0p']Let me know when Suikoden 1 & 2 is reprinted. I never had any intention of playing them because of the rediculous price, but with the way things are going I might actually be able to now. To that, I say thanks to whom ever is responsible (even it is GQD).[/QUOTE]

You won't see reprints of either of those games likely ever thanks to the fact that they're being ported to the PSP. The question now is, will you spend some rediculous amount for the ps1 releases on ebay, $250 for a psp along with the $40-$50 for the game, or just not bother. Personally I liked Suikoden 2, but not enough to pay stupid amounts for it and Suikoden 1 was way too rough after I had already played 2.

screenshots of the PSP version here,
http://pspupdates.qj.net/2005/11/gensosuikoden-i-ii-for-psp-info.html#comments

We are going to offering a giveaway for two copies of this game for members of Cag, just wanted to let you know. Once the final details are done, should be up on front page.

[quote name='norkusa']Didn't see this posted here yet so I thought I'd be the first to break it. Somone from Digital Press just posted this news of a Rez re-print. Looks like it finally happened for real this time:

It's a Thanksgiving miracle![/QUOTE]

how do u know it's a reprint?

aw fuck, whenever i strike gold and manage to find a mint copy of a rare game, it ends up being reprinted within a couple months. why can't they reprint valkyrie profile or suikoden 2 instead?

Here are the main complaints about GQD:

1. GQD sells reprinted games. No big deal except they tend to omit that teeny, tiny fact that their games are reprints.

2. Every reprinted GQD game ends up on the shelves of Gamestop for less. Rhapsody was $40. Persona 2 was $30. Rez will probably be $45. Furthermore, it won't be too many months before a B2G1F sale. Then, Rez will be the equivalent of $30.

3. GQD further digs itself deeper with outlandish claims such as "we have Rez (reprint), exclusively". Even if that is true (and it probably isn't), how long will it be before somebody trades in their reprint copy to GS, GR or GC?

Buying a reprinted game from GQD is the same as paying full retail price for the current year's copy of Madden.

[quote name='spankmenow420']We are going to offering a giveaway for two copies of this game for members of Cag, just wanted to let you know. Once the final details are done, should be up on front page.[/QUOTE]

Would you like a second shovel?

[quote name='fatherofcaitlyn']Would you like a second shovel?[/QUOTE]

Agreed. You are gonna need a lot more than 2 copies of Rez to give away to make up for the lying that GQD has done.

FYI. Bottom line. You lied before with the "exclusive rights" to Persona 2 and Rhapsody. You do reprints. It's common knowledge that Rez is a reprint. History repeats itself. Here and on digital press, and whereever else videogames are talked about, everyone knows you lied and it's a reprint. You have a lot of pissed off videogame players that won't trust GQD ever again.

Moral of the story. People still would have bought Rhapsody / Persona 2 if you were just honest.

I want a copy of Rez just as much as the next guy, but I WON'T be getting it from GQD.

[quote name='fatherofcaitlyn']
3. GQD further digs itself deeper with outlandish claims such as "we have Rez (reprint), exclusively". Even if that is true (and it probably isn't), how long will it be before somebody trades in their reprint copy to GS, GR or GC?
[/QUOTE]

See, this part is a moot point. Do you expect GQD to say, "well we have exclusivity on the reprint, but I am sure they will start popping up at GS et al. cause people will trade them in"?

I understand the issue with them if they are flat out lying about having exclusivity, but if game stores are getting copies from trade ins or other means after the fact, than GQD has no control over that and shouldn't be held accountable for it.

yeah but that can't possibly be how it is. do you really think gamers across the nation traded a copy of Rhapsody, Persona 2, Cubivore, RE 2 and RE 3, and Gitaroo Man into each and every Gamestop? doubtful. somehow GQD gets it first, but Gamestop gets new copies as well and sells them as used.

This does not seem much different then the car dealers proclaiming in their TV and radio commercials they are the #1 dealer in the state/city, which they all do.

[quote name='pimp tyranny']yeah but that can't possibly be how it is. do you really think gamers across the nation traded a copy of Rhapsody, Persona 2, Cubivore, RE 2 and RE 3, and Gitaroo Man into each and every Gamestop? doubtful. somehow GQD gets it first, but Gamestop gets new copies as well and sells them as used.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I agree with that....I can't imagine people are trading them in either (some might, but I wouldn't think many would), but it seems that no one really knows how GS and the others get the games and they always seem to have them AFTER GQD which makes me think that maybe there was some sort of exclusivity going on, even if it was for a short time. It's not a really big deal to me....I knew Persona 2 was a reprint before I bought it and I know Rez is a reprint. If I get what I pay for, I am happy. Life is too damn short to be worrying about every little thing that could have been handled differently. I understand some of the issues people have with them though.

The other thing is that hardly anyone is calling out GS for selling these reprints as used. It was pointed out previously that in the system the used price is higher than the new price (which I don't exactly understand) for these games so they open them up and sell them as used. That isn't exactly being truthful is it? I would call on all CAGs denouncing GQD for stretching the truth (or flat out lying) and saying they will never buy from them again to do the same for GS for the same reasons.

I will say this though.. I'm a devout frugal ass gamer. Very few games in the past few years get enough of my playtime to warrant a $50 price tag. Rez is definately one of those games. I love the damned thing. I got it for $29.99 at TRU a long time ago, and it is by far one of the best instances of spending that much on a game that I can recall (Halo 2 is another example of paying alot for, merely for the fact that I've played the shit out of online). I have quite a few games at home, but I can easily pick this one up and play just for the fun of it. I think it's worth it: not to collect or to have for bragging rights, yet instead to play the ever living hell out of. A decent home theatre system on an optical cable makes it even better.

On a side note, it seems the reprint is starting to catch on. Ebay selling prices seemed to have fallen a little.

im glad i got rid of my original copies before this reprint but 60 bucks is kinda steep after tax and shipping charges maybe ill just pick up a copy when it hits gamestop...now im basically waiting for a suiky 2 & vp reprint

[quote name='PaP3rKuT']now im basically waiting for a suiky 2 & vp reprint[/QUOTE]

We'll see who bitches about that when it happens, won't we? ;)

[quote name='mykevermin']We'll see who bitches about that when it happens, won't we? ;)[/QUOTE]

There will be mass suicides.

I can't wait.

I know it isn't a reprint, but I saw some articles that said Suikoden I & II are coming to the PSP... Will VP follow...

[quote name='kell']I know it isn't a reprint, but I saw some articles that said Suikoden I & II are coming to the PSP... Will VP follow...[/QUOTE]

yea but too bad i dont have a psp

[quote name='b3b0p']There will be mass suicides.

I can't wait.[/QUOTE]

lol

[quote name='spankmenow420']Slidecage, PM me your information and I will take care of your problem. As i stated before. You never provided me the information, until you do. I will unable to resolve problem and provide another copy of rhapsody free from any damage, which occured during transit.[/QUOTE]

i pm them yesterday around 4pm (around 27 hours ago) maybe they are looking into it maybe not.... never heard a thing from them... got to love how they are saying it was now damaged in transit when they said before that a bunch of them that was sitting on the edges got damaged when something slammed into the pallet all the games was sitting on...

Before I start - I'm pretty shocked that the majority of the thread has devolved in arguing the price of the games instead of the blatant dishonesty thats going on.

[quote name='enjoylifengame']since I have been looking for few other rare games, I called GQD number on the website. According to customer service person, GQ started as a place to buy hard-to-find and rare games but now they are focusing on reprinting all if not all rare games which they also wholesale to other companies after few weeks including GameStop. He said they sold GS the game USED since they no longer want to carry new games which they are selling at lower price than they bought since they want people to trade there other used games. Also, they are in talking to Konami, Capcom, Atari, Atlus, Koei, Midway for reprinting all other games that sells for over 50 on Ebay. now I think that is cool but the prices need to lower for some but I guess they can charge full price since ebay sellers are charging much more. Call yourself and dail 0 and ask about other remakes and they will probably tell you the samething.
[/QUOTE]

Someone earlier alluded to this possibly being an "alter ego" of spankmenow. I don't know if there is any merit to this, but it is plausible. This is way more information that has been provided by anyone, and it seems like it is a lot more than what you'd get over the phone from some CSR. At the same time, it does make sense, and has a ring of truth to it - it doesn't seem like it was just made up. It makes also makes sense in the context of the threads started by GQD. Additionally, Spankmenow didn't deny any of this in his posts after this. Regardless, i think we can take this for the real story. The only thing wrong about it is the Gamestop thing - the reason they are sold as USED is because GQD is considered a wholesaler, and Gamestop can only sell them as NEW if they are factory direct.

Now keeping this in mind, take a look at this post from Spankme in the Rhapsody/Persona thread:

Okay i'm posting since every one is wondering if this title is a remake or not. The answer is i don't know either. All the answers provided to me are based on speculation, I contacted Atlus when i heard of the rumor, about inventory being available of Persona 2 & Rhapsody. Atlus claims no remake, and that is what my understanding of the situation is. The inventory is almost out of both titles, quite a few hoarders who were buying to speculate canceled. We had single orders of 50+ plus copies, which we canceled, we are trying to prevent hoarders from buying this title to a certain extent. That is why you are seeing more inventory available.

Anyone care to break this down?

"Okay i'm posting since every one is wondering if this title is a remake or not. The answer is i don't know either." - LIE, of course you knew.

"All the answers provided to me are based on speculation, I contacted Atlus when i heard of the rumor, about inventory being available of Persona 2 & Rhapsody" - LIE, there's no speculation and rumor, you are the one that negotiated the remake, asshole.

"Atlus claims no remake, and that is what my understanding of the situation is." - A fuckING LIE on multiple levels. And Atlus didn't claim no remake, the head honco on the board posted that there was a limited remake. Which was also a fucking lie, unless you think thousands of copies = limited. Considering the original numbers of the game floating around and on ebay, I sure as hell don't. Anyone thinking there was a limited remake of this game, go to gamestop.com, type it in, and use the store locator and search for copies in 100 mile radius - almost every store will have at least 1 copy.

"The inventory is almost out of both titles, quite a few hoarders who were buying to speculate canceled." - LIE, you are the one that supplied gamestop with huge numbers of the game.

"We had single orders of 50+ plus copies, which we canceled, we are trying to prevent hoarders from buying this title to a certain extent." - LIE, you don't care about hoarders, you just care about maximizing profits on these before people realize what the hell is going on. Which probably won't happen again. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice...

Anyways, I'm surprised there aren't more people outraged over this (and not just the ones that thought they were gonna make $ on the bay). This is the site where people get pissed off when retailers refuse to pricematch. This is the site where people get murderous intentions when their backordered copies of items get cancelled. This is the site where people go to burn down corporate HQ's when they don't get pennied out guides given to them. This is the site where it's a deadly sin not to honor a price mistake. And you are letting this slide? I think this user should be banned from the site and any affiliation with CAG be ceased immediately.

I also noticed that there are a lot of ad homs getting tossed around instead of logical arguments. You can save that nonsense. As I said before, I think this is pretty good business idea, it's just that they are fucking up the execution entirely. This section of games is a niche market to begin with. There is a limited consumer base, but luckilly in this area that base is pretty damn loyal. A lot of that base is right here at CAG, DP and other sites, be it cheapass, collector or reseller. SO WHY THE fuck WOULD YOU WANT TO ALIENATE THAT BASE BY POSTING BLATANT LIES AND TOTAL BULLSHIT?

Am I some Rez fanboy that's pissed because my copy is worth half of what it was? Well, no. I've owned 2 copies before, and sold both rather quickly. And the opened copy I had I played and i wasn't that impressed. Oh yeah, I said it - Rez ain't that good. Don't hang out with me, I'm a NERD. I saw better graphics in Lawnmower Man 15 years ago, and I think Amplitude kicks the shit out of Rez.

Am I some Ebay whore that's scared all my stuff will get reprinted and I'll be homeless? No, not really. Sure, I'm a bit more of an Ebay whore nowadays, but I know what to sell and what not to sell. There will always be items to collect that have a good resale value, and the companies that see what is really going on at GQD and give them the finger - those items will just be worth more.

Am I some pissed of collector that thinks GQD will ruin all the fun out of building a collection of rare items? Maybe. I'm actually pretty split. When i saw someone throw around Valkyrie Profile, part of me would love to see a reprint. This is the only ps1 RPG I've never owned, and I'd love to get my hands on a reasonably priced copy to play it and see if it lives up to the hype. On the other hand, I'd love for Square to say fuck OFF when GQD came calling with their sales pitch. Which, I'd assume was very likely considering what they did to the Chrono Trigger project and whatnot.

Anyways, I'm done rambling. I'm still fairly pissed off at this turn of events. I don't tolerate that kind of blatant lying from people in my everyday life, much less a retailer where I spend my hard earned money. And I'm amazed that the members on this site that would ABSOLUTELY fuckING CRUCIFY a place like Best Buy or WalMart if they pulled this shit seem to be giving GQD a free pass. GQD, you aren't getting any more of my money, and probably not for the reasons you'd expect.

EDIT: Due to that damn chicken :)

Dave

[quote name='MightySlacker']
Fool me once, shame on me. Fool me twice...
[/QUOTE]

It's actually "fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me." ;)

I think this thread belongs in Deal Discussions for the moment, rather than in the Deals forum, due to some of the discussions going on at the moment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by serum79
i also don't understand this....spankmenow420 said that the Rez reprint was exclusive to GQD. He/They must know some important people or something.

No, they just lie a lot.

they said they would get back in touch with me 2 days ago about my broken case and still nothing

[quote name='dtarasev']I got an e-mail back from Sega stating that they have no information on a REZ reprint. Think of it what you will.[/QUOTE]

ATLUS denied it as well ..or...hmm...I don't even want to think about it.. :whistle2:#

Did you point them to the site that claims "Exclusive" rights to it ?

Well, that sucks for you slidecage. I'm sorry you had such a hard time with them, and it certainly shows that, despite my defense of their business practices, I'm certainly not going to deny that they are capable of being assholes.

Perhaps we could coerce someone to remove spankmenow based on his falsification of claiming to be willing to help slidecage? It's not hard to shop there yourself if you want to continue to do so; for people that come to this site to share deals, they should *not* be welcome if they lie and fuck over reputable members of this site.

Dear mother of mercy, methinks I just called slidecage "reputable." :shock:

bread's done
Back