RightStuf.com Holiday Sales (Black Friday leading up to 12+ Days of Anime)

WTK

CAGiversary!
12+ Days of Savings - Main Sales Page

12days-extended.jpg

Right Stuf is ready to make your holidays even merrier -- with 12+ days of savings on Blu-ray discs, DVDs, box sets, books, bundles and more!

Each day, we'll update Rightstuf.com with the latest additions to our list of holiday deals, and everything on this list will be on sale until 11:59 p.m. CT on December 12, 2011. (Just add the items to your cart and check out to save! Please note: Quantities for some items -- specifically, those that include counters on their item pages -- may be limited.)

Make your list, check it twice (or more!), and have a safe and happy holiday season!*
*Be sure to drop into the workshop for more holiday fun!
DAY 01:
DAY 02:
DAY 03:
DAY 04:
DAY 05:
DAY 06:
DAY 07:
DAY 08:
DAY 09:
DAY 10:
DAY 11:
DAY 12:
DAY 13:

Black Friday/Cyber Monday Bargains on Blu-ray, DVDs & More! @ RightStuf.com

blackFriday-news.jpg

Kick off the holiday season with special deals on selected DVDs, Blu-ray discs, box sets and more for a limited time – from today through 11:59 p.m. CST on Cyber Monday (November 28, 2011)!

How? Just add the item to your shopping cart and check out to save!
(No coupon codes and the sale prices are in red!)

But hurry! Some quantities are limited, AND the sale ends on November 28, 2011 at 11:59 p.m. CST!
EDIT: Black Friday/Cyber Monday sale is still ongoing!

FUNimation Bargain Bundles Promotion @ RightStuf.com

While supplies last, customers ordering this bundle will also receive a black Funimation tote bag.
  • FUNimation Action Pack-ed Bundle 1 (Hyb) - Your Price: $49.99 (You Save 55%)
    • Devil May Cry (S.A.V.E.), Black Blood Brothers (S.A.V.E.), Blassreiter (S.A.V.E.), Nabari no Ou (S.A.V.E.)
    • Note: this special bundle offer will only be available until Wednesday, December 14!
  • FUNimation Action Pack-ed Bundle 2 (Hyb) - Your Price: $53.99 (You Save 55%)
    • Coyote Ragtime Show (S.A.V.E.), Kaze no Stigma (S.A.V.E.), Air Gear (S.A.V.E.), Vexille (SE)
    • Note: this special bundle offer will only be available until Wednesday, December 14!
  • FUNimation Butt Kickers Bargain Bundle (Hyb) - Your Price: $62.99 (You Save 58%)
    • Birdy the Mighty: Decode, Trigun, Yu Yu Hakusho: The Movie & Eizou Hakusho
    • Note: this special bundle offer will only be available until Wednesday, December 21!
  • FUNimation LiveAction Sampler Bundle (Hyb) - Your Price: $13.49 (You Save 55%)
    • Mushi-shi, Ghost Train (S.A.V.E.), Synesthesia (S.A.V.E.)
  • FUNimation Magical Fanservice Girlfriends Bundle (Hyb) - Your Price: $78.99 (You Save 55%)
    • Rosario + Vampire (LE), Rosario + Vampire Capu2, Sekirei (Season 1)
    • Note: this special bundle offer will only be available until Wednesday, December 21!
  • FUNimation Spirit Gun Blu-Ray Bundle (Hyb) - Your Price: $64.99 (You Save 64%)
    • Yu Yu Hakusho (all four Classics Blu-ray sets)
    • Note: this special bundle offer will only be available until Tuesday, December 21!
  • FUNimation Still "No L" Bargain Bundle (Hyb) - Your Price: $40.99 (You Save 55%)
    • Gankutsuou: The Count of Monte Cristo (S.A.V.E.), Utawarerumono (S.A.V.E.), Gun x Sword (S.A.V.E.)
    • Note: this special bundle offer will only be available until Tuesday, December 21!

Some highlights of the current Weekly Specials (not mentioned above)

Last edited by a moderator:
Day 8:

[quote name='starkillr']Will Maid Sama ever see a blu ray release in the US?[/QUOTE]

Nope. It's rare for Sentai to rerelease something on blu-ray that originally came out on DVD if it's ever even happened at all. Trust me, there have been several of their series that I really really wish had blu-ray versions but don't.

I'm surprised Rightstuf hasn't matched amazon's Spice And Wolf prices. I'm hoping they do, so I can just get them here and bump me up to free shipping :D

[quote name='fwbweux'][quote name='starkillr']Will Maid Sama ever see a blu ray release in the US?[/QUOTE]
Nope. It's rare for Sentai to rerelease something on blu-ray that originally came out on DVD if it's ever even happened at all. Trust me, there have been several of their series that I really really wish had blu-ray versions but don't.[/QUOTE]
For Maid Sama is rather unlikely. However there have been a few series that Sentai Filmworks has done so (with the possibility for Clannad After Story later on).

• Clannad - 2 part DVD releases (sub only; Mar/May '09) -> DVD complete collection (bilingual release; Jun '10) -> Blu-ray complete collection (Nov '11)
  • Ghost Hound - 2 part DVD releases (sub only; Oct/Dec '10) -> DVD and Blu-ray complete collections (bilingual release; Sep '10)
  • Legends of the Dark King: Fist of the North Star Story - DVD complete collection (sub only; Sep '09) -> DVD and Blu-ray complete collections (bilingual release; Jul '10)
  • Tears to Tiara - 2 part DVD releases (sub only; Nov '09/Jan '10) -> DVD and Blu-ray complete collections (bilingual release; Oct '10)

Given that there is a blu ray release in Japan, I will wait til next Xmas and see how things go. Spent too damn much already anyways. Really enjoyed that show despite how silly it looks.

[quote name='starkillr']Given that there is a blu ray release in Japan, I will wait til next Xmas and see how things go. Spent too damn much already anyways. Really enjoyed that show despite how silly it looks.[/QUOTE]

There being a Blu-ray release in Japan doesn't necessarily mean it will be released here as well; a lot of the shows that Sentai has released on only DVD lately have a Blu-ray release in Japan, such as MM!, Amagami SS, Nyan Koi!, Maria Holic, Koihime Muso, 11 Eyes, etc.

[quote name='starkillr']Given that there is a blu ray release in Japan, I will wait til next Xmas and see how things go. Spent too damn much already anyways. Really enjoyed that show despite how silly it looks.[/QUOTE]Another CAG from the Baltimore/Washington area, awesome. :D

Anyway, I haven't seen much that I wanted the past few days. I would like Pandora Hearts manga (I'm missing a few), but I'll wait a few days to see if there's anything else I want to order. I'm considering Shigofumi, Azumanga Daioh (Good possibility), Now and Then, Here and There (very likely I'm buying), and Chrono Crusade. Most everything else I already bought or own.

How depressing Now and then Here and There? I've passed on certain series (like Wolf's Rain) due to them just being so depressing that they're not enjoyable to watch. Another example of that is Basilisk. I loved the show, but it was so depressing that I could barely get through it, and I will never watch it again. Would I like this series? lol

[quote name='Zaku77']How depressing Now and then Here and Now? I've passed on certain series (like Wolf's Rain) due to them just being so depressing that they're not enjoyable to watch. Another example of that is Basilisk. I loved the show, but it was so depressing that I could barely get through it, and I will never watch it again. Would I like this series? lol[/QUOTE]

Nope.

[quote name='Zaku77']How depressing Now and then Here and There? I've passed on certain series (like Wolf's Rain) due to them just being so depressing that they're not enjoyable to watch. Another example of that is Basilisk. I loved the show, but it was so depressing that I could barely get through it, and I will never watch it again. Would I like this series? lol[/QUOTE]

I didn't find it depressing at all found Wolf's Rain sad though. Than again I'm one of those who watched Grave of the Fireflies and wasn't depressed at all by it so I'm rare.

[quote name='Tsukento']You could try contacting customer service and say it was damaged when you received it.[/QUOTE]

I submitted the form to customer service listed as defective since their packaging is pretty solid so I doubt it was from shipping. Hopefully they accept it and send me a shipping label this thing is pretty heavy.

[quote name='Puppet Master']I didn't find it depressing at all found Wolf's Rain sad though. Than again I'm one of those who watched Grave of the Fireflies and wasn't depressed at all by it so I'm rare.[/QUOTE]

If you didn't find Now and Then, Here and There depressing, then I don't know what to say, since that show is messed up. Being depressing though doesn't mean that it isn't really damn good — because it is really damn good.

[quote name='mxwise']I submitted the form to customer service listed as defective since their packaging is pretty solid so I doubt it was from shipping. Hopefully they accept it and send me a shipping label this thing is pretty heavy.[/QUOTE]

Unfortunately with the way Right Stuf's customer service works, you have to ship the book back yourself.

[quote name='mxwise']I submitted the form to customer service listed as defective since their packaging is pretty solid so I doubt it was from shipping. Hopefully they accept it and send me a shipping label this thing is pretty heavy.[/QUOTE]

They won't. They will tel you to reseal it and write return to sender on it, which I think is Illegal if it has been opened.

[quote name='Razzuel']
Unfortunately with the way Right Stuf's customer service works, you have to ship the book back yourself.[/QUOTE]

This is true and it is one of the reasons, I do not buy from them that often anymore.

[quote name='slowdive21']They won't. They will tel you to reseal it and write return to sender on it, which I think is Illegal if it has been opened.

This is true and it is one of the reasons, I do not buy from them that often anymore.[/QUOTE]

You're right, once it's opened USPS can no longer take back the package as rejected. Seeing as how this was part of a large order with their giant boxes I can't reseal it. If I have to pay shipping I'll probably suck it up and keep it since I'm planning to buy more stuff by the time day 12 comes up.

I find Rightstuf tends to have the better prices on books so that's why I keep using them and until now I've never had any issues. Amazon tends to price at retail and Borders was actually pretty comparable when they were nearing their final months but obviously aren't around anymore.

[quote name='Zaku77']How depressing Now and then Here and There? I've passed on certain series (like Wolf's Rain) due to them just being so depressing that they're not enjoyable to watch. Another example of that is Basilisk. I loved the show, but it was so depressing that I could barely get through it, and I will never watch it again. Would I like this series? lol[/QUOTE]

I watched a few episodes on scifi channel, it was pretty depressing with some really unsavory moments in it, not to say it wasnt a good show. I loved evangelion and ergo proxy despite how depressing some episodes were.

[quote name='Razzuel']Right Stuf's customer service works,[/QUOTE]
Those words make sense separately, but put together... I don't understand them.

Day 9:

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, first time looking at the sale since it started, and I already have enough for free shipping. Just like last year, they are evil.

Eden of the East Movie 2: Paradise Lost DVD/Blu-ray (Hyb)
FLCL Blu-ray Complete Series (Hyb) - Anime Classics
Now and Then, Here and There DVD Complete Collection (Hyb)
Princess Tutu DVD Complete Collection (Hyb)
Trigun: Badlands Rumble Blu-ray (Hyb)

Question: how is the Disgaea anime?

Edit: Damn, I already have the Guin Saga novels. Also, might need to add the second FMA: Brotherhood Blu-ray to my list...

[quote name='RollingSkull']Those words make sense separately, but put together... I don't understand them.[/QUOTE]

Huh? I don't understand what you're trying to say.

[quote name='TheLongshot']
Question: how is the Disgaea anime?
[/QUOTE]

It's decent. It follows the story of the first Disgaea, but only the last half is the same storyline. The first half is very different.

They use the same voice actors as well, so it is very genuine. If you liked Disgaea the game and its style, you'd like the anime. Though I was a little embarrassed watching it around friends sometimes. I forgot how effin cheesy Flonne is...

Is Guin Saga as good as the reviews suggest? Having a real proper sword fighting manly fantasy show sounds appealing, anime or not.

[quote name='Darknuke']It's decent. It follows the story of the first Disgaea, but only the last half is the same storyline. The first half is very different.

They use the same voice actors as well, so it is very genuine. If you liked Disgaea the game and its style, you'd like the anime. Though I was a little embarrassed watching it around friends sometimes. I forgot how effin cheesy Flonne is...[/QUOTE]

I'm kinda tempted because my 5 year old has a love of penguins, and I figured a lot of exploding prinnys would be entertaining for him. I just wonder if there is anything I shouldn't expose him to. (Just as a note, I haven't gotten that far in the first game, so I don't know where the plot goes.)

[quote name='Rsmobile']Is Guin Saga as good as the reviews suggest? Having a real proper sword fighting manly fantasy show sounds appealing, anime or not.[/QUOTE]

I think the books are very good. It has very much a Conan feel to it, and some interesting characters. While the character arc is covered in the 5 books, it is too bad that more of them haven't come over. (Apparently there are 130 books in the series!)

I watched Guin Saga and was pleasantly surprised. The fantasy world is really goofy (imo) and the end was extra weird, but I really liked it. It's as much about manly ass-kickings as it is about the mystery behind Guin. There are a couple annoying kids thrown along as after-thoughts, but Guin is awesome. Kind of reminds me of a less cheesy hybrid of He-Man and Thundercats, where they even have a Snarf equivalent at one point.

[quote name='starkillr']I watched Guin Saga and was pleasantly surprised. The fantasy world is really goofy (imo) and the end was extra weird, but I really liked it. It's as much about manly ass-kickings as it is about the mystery behind Guin. There are a couple annoying kids thrown along as after-thoughts, but Guin is awesome. Kind of reminds me of a less cheesy hybrid of He-Man and Thundercats, where they even have a Snarf equivalent at one point.[/QUOTE]

You know, I didn't even notice that the anime was also on sale.

As much as I'd like to see it, my backlog is so huge that it will probably be in a cheaper form by the time I get to it.

[quote name='Darknuke']It's decent. It follows the story of the first Disgaea, but only the last half is the same storyline. The first half is very different.

They use the same voice actors as well, so it is very genuine. If you liked Disgaea the game and its style, you'd like the anime. Though I was a little embarrassed watching it around friends sometimes. I forgot how effin cheesy Flonne is...[/QUOTE]

I disagree. Even hardcore Disgaea fans, including myself, don't care much for the anime. It's just not very good.

[quote name='TheLongshot']You know, I didn't even notice that the anime was also on sale.

As much as I'd like to see it, my backlog is so huge that it will probably be in a cheaper form by the time I get to it.[/QUOTE]I'm tempted to get it myself despite my backlog size, lol

Blah day 9 and still no Rurouni Kenshin Blu-Ray for sale. I really hope this goes on sale during these 12 days!

[quote name='jling84']Blah day 9 and still no Rurouni Kenshin Blu-Ray for sale. I really hope this goes on sale during these 12 days![/QUOTE]I said before, I sort of doubt it does due to being a limited release. However, you never know (I already bought them although it did cost a lot).

[quote name='The Mana Knight']I said before, I sort of doubt it does due to being a limited release. However, you never know (I already bought them although it did cost a lot).[/QUOTE]

Hey dude! Yeah I know it's unlikely, but I'm just hoping that maybe they have leftover stock they want to get rid of.

Looks like I'll be picking up a bunch of Sentai titles once day 12 rolls around. The only one I haven't seen at least a few episodes of is Night Raid 1931. Is it any good?

[quote name='mxwise']Looks like I'll be picking up a bunch of Sentai titles once day 12 rolls around. The only one I haven't seen at least a few episodes of is Night Raid 1931. Is it any good?[/QUOTE]

Not at all. It has a neat premise, but a completely botched execution. But on the plus side, the intro song is great.

[quote name='Rogueleader17']This is a pretty interesting deal on rightstuf:

Funimation Action Pack-ed Bundle 2 (Hyb)
http://www.rightstuf.com/1-800-338-6827/catalogmgr/asOzImTtekO=XM3hMG/browse/item/93825/4/2833/168

Funimation Action Pack-ed Bundle 1 (Hyb)
http://www.rightstuf.com/1-800-338-6827/catalogmgr/asOzImTtekO=XM3hMG/browse/item/93824/4/2833/168[/QUOTE]

Yikes, steer clear of those.

[quote name='Kirin Lemon']Not at all. It has a neat premise, but a completely botched execution. But on the plus side, the intro song is great.

Yikes, steer clear of those.[/QUOTE]

Air gear was pretty good, although the anime never really ended.

Really, the only thing I got left to hope for is Squid Girl to match Guin Saga for free shipping. If not, I'll sweet talk the CS people to shove Guin Saga on my backordered Amagami.

I really need to stop buying anime.

Oh wait, Squid Girl part 2 JUST came out. Well carp.

[quote name='RollingSkull']Really, the only thing I got left to hope for is Squid Girl to match Guin Saga for free shipping. If not, I'll sweet talk the CS people to shove Guin Saga on my backordered Amagami.

I really need to stop buying anime.

Oh wait, Squid Girl part 2 JUST came out. Well carp.[/QUOTE]

Squid girl is comming out on bluray, something to consider.

[quote name='Rogueleader17']Anyone care for Witchblade? I am trying to decide what to get.[/QUOTE]

I really enjoyed Witchblade. The cover art is deceptive - it looks like a total action-and-boobs show, but it has a surprising amount of character depth. I recommend it.

[quote name='Kirin Lemon']I really enjoyed Witchblade. The cover art is deceptive - it looks like a total action-and-boobs show, but it has a surprising amount of character depth. I recommend it.[/QUOTE]

Well, it would be hard to be a Witchblade show without action and boobs. Personally, I haven't been impressed much with what I've since on the Funimation Channel. Maybe it is the English dub that bothers me. (Or maybe I'm finally sick of the endless parade of big boobed heroines where they have to do big boob gags.)

[quote name='Kirin Lemon']Not at all. It has a neat premise, but a completely botched execution. But on the plus side, the intro song is great.

The synopsis did make it sound like it would be interesting. Well if I ever renew Netflix I'll watch an episode or two if it's still around. Thanks for the input.

[quote name='Kirin Lemon']I really enjoyed Witchblade. The cover art is deceptive - it looks like a total action-and-boobs show, but it has a surprising amount of character depth. I recommend it.[/QUOTE]

Wow, Kirin giving real advice sans bashing. Never thought I'd see the day =P

/agree on all counts. There may be a good one or two in bundle 2, so you may have to weigh in your mind the cost of getting them separately vs within that bundle.

[quote name='TheLongshot']Today's deal is up. Any thoughts on Tears To Tiara?[/QUOTE]I echo this question and add another: How about Special A?

[/QUOTE]I completely agree with Kirin, Night Raid 1931 was a disappointment and I didn't even finish the show (and it was free!).

As for Special A, in the words of peter griffin, "shallow and pedantic."

[quote name='elessar123']Wow, Kirin giving real advice sans bashing. Never thought I'd see the day =P[/QUOTE]

I always give real advice. But yes, if the show is garbage, it often it will include bashing. ;)

[quote name='Vigilante']I echo this question and add another: How about Special A?[/QUOTE]

I haven't seen it yet, but most of what I've read indicates that Tears to Tiara is a competent fantasy show. I ended up grabbing it from the DeepDiscount sale at a similar price.

And Special A... oof, romantic comedy gone horribly wrong. It excels at nothing. Special A tries so hard to be School Rumble, but comes nowhere close. If you don't already own School Rumble, get that instead.

I'd like to know the general opinion of buying an anime series on Blu Ray that you already own on DVD. I realize that every set is a case by case decision, but I meant in a more general sense. I've seen a couple now (FMP sets, Soul Eater, Champloo) on this sale that keep staring at me every time anybody has an anime sale.

Given the choice between buying an anime I don't already own on Blu Ray or DVD, I will almost always buy the Blu Ray (Why didn't the Cowboy Bebop movie have 5.1 audio?!). I just can't imagine that I'd enjoy any anime on Blu Ray enough that I would want to buy it again and replace/store the DVDs.

If anyone's looking for an introduction into visual novels, the fourth hentai game bundle would be a good start. I haven't played X-Change 2 yet (I own it, but I need to play the first X-Change first), but Yume Miru Kusuri and Snow Sakura are great. Yume Miru Kusuri is basically a drama with dark themes (with some comedy to lighten things up sometimes). Snow Sakura is a pure comedy, and it's actually really funny.

[quote name='TheLongshot']Today's deal is up. Any thoughts on Tears To Tiara?[/QUOTE]

Tears to Tiara is a pretty good fantasy show. The thing I enjoyed most about it is its amalgamation of several different mythologies and legends. It's similar to Utawarerumono, if you want a point of comparison.

bread's done
Back