Rock Band Collection (360/PS3) $170 (MSRP) shipped, PS2 version $150 at Amazon

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass
Staff member
Feedback
14 (100%)
If you don't want to schlep this stuff home, Amazon is offering up free shipping.
EB/GS are charging an extra $10 shipping charge.

Release date is November 20th. It is also conceivable that this stuff could be very hard to find during the holiday season.

$170
:ps3:Rock Band Collection (PS3)

:360:Rock Band Collection (Xbox 360)

$160 $150
:ps2:Rock Band Collection (PS2)
(12/11/07 release)

Guitar Compatibility: http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3164005
Guitar Hero II's X-Plorer
Rock Band? Yes
Guitar Hero II? Yes
Guitar Hero III? Yes
Guitar Hero III's Les Paul
Rock Band? Yes
Guitar Hero II? Yes
Guitar Hero III? Yes
Rock Band's Stratocaster
Rock Band? Yes
Guitar Hero II? Unknown, but unlikely
Guitar Hero III? No

Steep price, but if you add everything else up individually, you may be saving $20 to $30 with the bundle.

I do want this game, but if I buy GH III, then I'll already have the guitar (assuming it is compatible).

No word on if the RockBand guitar is usable with GH. That may be a deciding factor for me, since the fender looks much better than the GH controllers. I am also hoping for a drum+game package. But being from EA, I can see the $200 bundle only and the separate game and instruments.

I probably won't bite on this anyway as I don't have my final gaming/home theater area set up yet, but I'm concerned about glitches in the first run of these. Heck they couldn't even do the wired guitar right for the 360 in GH2 and had problems with those. And if you have issues, it might be nice to deal with B&M rather than Amazon, especially considering it isn't really a "deal".

[quote name='tayaf69']If you have friends that play together in a band than I would guess this game would be a waste of time when they could be playing real instruments.[/quote]Absolutely. It's for we who don't play those instruments.

This would be a blast with my brothers and sister in law (if it'll do the second guitar, which I thought it was originally planned for). We all can sing no problem, but when it comes to instruments... *chuckles* that would be funny the four of us in a band: violin, tuba, piano and voice. I'm sure we'd be a hit.

[quote name='Poolking99']out of my price range, I don't have too many friends that are into guitar hero in the first place so trying to get a band together that isn't online would be very difficult. I'll stick to guitar hero for the time being and maybe buy Rock band for more tracks. Can you use any guitar ie. the one that came with the 360 version of guitar hero 2 or does rock band require the rock band guitar?[/quote]

wow, same thoughts exactly...but i wouldn't mind trying the drums as well :cool:

Harmonix has said previously that they want thier guitar controller to work with the Guitar Hero games because they feel that all musical preripherals should be cross game. However, there is no 'official' word on this yet as far as I know.

Also, I'm with a lot of the rest of you on not knowing which console to get this for. Having both the PS3 and 360 makes these choices difficult. Most of my friends will be playing on the 360 so that's probably going to be the deciding factor for me but I do wish they would announce exactly what is in each version and if there are any differences. If they really want to rack up the preorders this would seem the sensible thing to do because otherwise there are those people like us who can not decide until we know we are making the correct choices for ourselves. I also am having the same problem with GTA IV and yes, 360 may have exclusive content but that does not mean that PS3 will not have it's own exclusive content. I may end up having to get both versions of that game if each has it's own exclusive content... *sigh* I remember the days when being platform agnostic meant you got the best of everything, now it's just becoming a pain in the ass.

In for PS3 version.

My girlfriend has been super addicted to GH but she hates most of the songs :(

I am so going to rock those drums, she has a great singing voice.

What they need is a Mic STAND so we can sing and play at the same time

I was totally rocking Unsung singing/playing (on easy :( )

[quote name='n8rockerasu']I mean, who's going to say "Yes! I saved 20 bucks! Flippin sweet!"?[/QUOTE]

Like half of the people here.

[quote name='Ryvvn']Harmonix has said previously that they want thier guitar controller to work with the Guitar Hero games because they feel that all musical preripherals should be cross game. However, there is no 'official' word on this yet as far as I know.[/QUOTE]

I hope that's true, because red octane sure as hell never wanted the guitar hero controller to work properly with Guitar Freaks that's for sure.

[quote name='CocheseUGA']I think I'll play the real things and save $200.[/quote]

playing the game is a totally different experience. you'll bite...i know this. :D

[quote name='CocheseUGA']I think I'll play the real things and save $200.[/quote]

OmiGod!!! UR sooo kewl!!!

Like nobody else here is a musician dude. Get off it. It's just a game, and I actually find it to be a decent excercise in dexterity and rhythm. Being a musician...and just a music lover in general, who also enjoys video games, I've always had a fondness for any music related game. I own the Karaoke Revolutions, the DDRs, Guitar Hero, hell...even the American Idol game. It doesn't make me less of a musician.

Hell, why post on a message board when you could be playing your instruments???

[quote name='n8rockerasu']OmiGod!!! UR sooo kewl!!!

Like nobody else here is a musician dude. Get off it. It's just a game, and I actually find it to be a decent excercise in dexterity and rhythm. Being a musician...and just a music lover in general, who also enjoys video games, I've always had a fondness for any music related game. I own the Karaoke Revolutions, the DDRs, Guitar Hero, hell...even the American Idol game. It doesn't make me less of a musician.

Hell, why post on a message board when you could be playing your instruments???[/QUOTE]

Hell, why berate me when there are a few other people who said the same thing?

Stuff like Guitar Hero an exercise? Hardly. DDR, I can see where you come from.

My point is, they are pricing it out of most casual people's range, where they need the sales the most. You can get casual sales from GH people, because it's not that much more than the game itself. $200 is probably actually a value from the stance you get all three 'instruments' included, but you're not going to get the sales you would otherwise.

[quote name='CocheseUGA']Hell, why berate me when there are a few other people who said the same thing?[/quote]

A valid point. Sorry, I guess it's the same principle as the cops stopping the last car in a group for speeding. I just get tired of that line.

[quote name='CocheseUGA']Stuff like Guitar Hero an exercise? Hardly. DDR, I can see where you come from.[/quote]

Well, I said an exercise in dexterity...ie. finger mobility. After playing some of the upper level GH tracks on a high difficulty, my fingers/hand usually feel the same way as if I had been soloing on a real guitar...minus string pressure of course.

[quote name='CocheseUGA']My point is, they are pricing it out of most casual people's range, where they need the sales the most. You can get casual sales from GH people, because it's not that much more than the game itself. $200 is probably actually a value from the stance you get all three 'instruments' included, but you're not going to get the sales you would otherwise.[/quote]

I think this argument is still up in the air at this point. I've been very excited about Rock Band for almost a year now, and I've read everything about it I could find. The potential this game has is so huge (online bands, contests, full album downloads, communities, charts, etc.) it could be a separate world in and of itself (to me it's almost as big as Sony's "Home" concept).

Not to mention bringing together all these instruments for the first time and including them in the bundle. I don't think it's really meant for casual gamers, because it's basically building off the foundation GH and KR already laid. People who bought those games are the ones who might make the bigger monetary commitment to purchase this. I was Rock Band's bitch from day 1, lol...and I doubt I'm alone in that.

I find it a PITA to find time to drag out the GHII controller to play, what with my girls getting into absolutely everything. I couldn't even imagine the uproar over trying to get multiple instruments out.

Sometimes, it can really suck to have kids. But those are very few.

[quote name='sendme']Also out of all the games that have come out on the PS3 and 360, the 360 has had downloadable content when the PS3 has not. Other then that I really don't see any thing that would be different. As for the Blue-Ray I could be wrong but hasn't their only been a few games that have been on blue-ray or took advantage of it.

As for what GTA IV to pre-order, go with the 360. They have a deal with Rock Star games so they can get exclusive downloads. So like most games that are on both the PS3 and the 360 you get more with the 360.[/QUOTE]

dlc is almost worthless to me unless it's free. And I have a feeling it won't be ;)
Any of the DLC i've purchased has never been worth it.

[quote name='CocheseUGA']I find it a PITA to find time to drag out the GHII controller to play, what with my girls getting into absolutely everything. I couldn't even imagine the uproar over trying to get multiple instruments out.

Sometimes, it can really suck to have kids. But those are very few.[/QUOTE]

my cat is afraid of the controller, although the noise from the game doesnt bother her at all.

$200 for RB and $500 for PS3 is certainly not casual, but then again casuals ran out and bought a Wii for almost $300 just to play bowling.

I know a ton of people who bought a $200 PS2 just for DDR back in the day, and later for GH.

Casuals arent just Bejewled nuts anymore, I believe "casual" gamer is a wide bell curve like all other gamers.

For instance my girlfriend loves guitar hero and the Karaoke games but she would never play Maddens or Mario.

yet she rocks on w/ Puzzle QUest (a hardcore game by most accounts)

"Casual gamer" is a moving target, to try and pidgeon hole a pirce point is a mistake. DDR and GH proved that w/ the right game you can get casuals to buy it.

and me buying $200 RB means all of our friends who try it may buy it as well. There are lots of "casual" gamers who have a lot of cash they have set aside for entertainment.

And they will get a lot more entertainment out of $200 worth of RB than they would for $200 worth of dinner/drinks and Spiderman 3 movie.

Dinner for 4 where I live is easily $120 at a nice place. Heck Neo Geo CARTs were $200 PER GAME back in the day. Count inflation and that was $300-$400 for a single 2D game!!!!

The broken record keeps playin... Im in a real band. Its a Helluva lot cheaper. Of course I cant play in my living room with my wife on the big screen...she really needs to learn bass. Pros and cons...Pros and cons...

[quote name='UncleBob']"I'm always on the Rock Band and Guitar Hero forums. And the guys at Harmonix are keeping their lips sealed on whether or not its wired or wireless."

That's a pretty crappy thing to keep secret.[/quote]

I guess you don't understand contract liability or anything like that.

EA/MTV Games only lets them reveal so much information at a time.... Like most game companies.

[quote name='TehTriggerman']The broken record keeps playin... Im in a real band. Its a Helluva lot cheaper. Of course I cant play in my living room with my wife on the big screen...she really needs to learn bass. Pros and cons...Pros and cons...[/QUOTE]

Real LIfe drummers go through $300 PER MONTH in sticks

it cost money for most bands to get a gig, they lose money in gas/food/hotel/drumsticks/guitar strings and of course vans that get broken into.

$200 is CHUMP CHANGE for an electronic drum kit. I paid $200 for an electronic drum machine in 1989. Its a good $1000 to get anything decent these days :)

[quote name='expane']Real LIfe drummers go through $300 PER MONTH in sticks[/quote]
What do you use? Sticks made out carboard that cost $100 each? If you go through $300 a month in sticks, you need to seriously address your playing ability/style.

EDIT: Oh, and I play the real thing. I'll save my $200. har har. *another witty comment added* To make it this edit not totally worthless, I'm a jazz/rock bassist. I play upright and electric...been playing for, oh, 7 years now I'd say. Got into Berklee College of Music, awarded a scholarship, and then decided I need to make money at some point in my life, and chose to study Business at a state school. /gloat gloat gloat

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=80266

Just keep in mind that there's been no confirmation yet from EA on the final pricing of the complete set or any of the individual controllers.

I'm pretty sure the pre-order prices are close, and just maybe on the high-side of speculation. Either way, EA still has time to mull over the public reaction to it if they really are as undecided as they say.

[quote name='defmonkey05']I guess you don't understand contract liability or anything like that.

EA/MTV Games only lets them reveal so much information at a time.... Like most game companies.[/QUOTE]

But come on, man... Wire status of the controller being top secret a few months before release? That's crap.

[quote name='expane']Real LIfe drummers go through $300 PER MONTH in sticks

[/QUOTE]

try some japan oak promark Mark-IIs. the cheap hickory sticks at guitar center aren't going to hold up.

I play guitar, bass, and drums. But I am totally excited about this game. In fact, I think being a musician makes you appreciate this kind of thing even more, not less.

Are you guys insane? I thought we were cheap-asses! This is not fair pricing!!

GAME = 50
GUITAR = 40
DRUMS = 30
MIC = 20

= $140, and even that's high!!! $200 for that crap?!!? Can't believe you people are buying into it!

I think the point of the matter is time commitment... I would much rather spend 2 hours getting better at real instruments than memorizing rhythm games. I mean, it'll no doubt be fun, but getting hardcore at it seems like a total waste of time to me. GH and RB are the kinds of games I'd buy only for drunk/high playing. Wait, just drunk playing, Katamari is for the other.

[quote name='I AM WILLIAM H. MACY']Are you guys insane? I thought we were cheap-asses! This is not fair pricing!!

GAME = 50
GUITAR = 40
DRUMS = 30
MIC = 20

= $140, and even that's high!!! $200 for that crap?!!? Can't believe you people are buying into it![/quote] Game = $60
Guitar (wireless) = $60
Drums - would think at least what guitar costs so $60
That leaves $20 for MIC

Seems about right to me.

[quote name='I AM WILLIAM H. MACY']Are you guys insane? I thought we were cheap-asses! This is not fair pricing!!

GAME = 50
GUITAR = 40
DRUMS = 30
MIC = 20

= $140, and even that's high!!! $200 for that crap?!!? Can't believe you people are buying into it![/quote]

I really havae no idea where you're getting your numbers from.

Game = 60
Wireless Guitar = 70
Drums = 80
Mic = 30

=240
Sound about right to me.

Now, if you're a real cheapass, you could probably make it:

Game ~50
Used GH2 Controller ~40
Drums = 80
Any USB Mic ~5

=175

[quote name='kingsoby1']I think the point of the matter is time commitment... I would much rather spend 2 hours getting better at real instruments than memorizing rhythm games. I mean, it'll no doubt be fun, but getting hardcore at it seems like a total waste of time to me. GH and RB are the kinds of games I'd buy only for drunk/high playing. Wait, just drunk playing, Katamari is for the other.[/QUOTE]

That's a fair point and I agree. Fortunately for me this is directly related to my work; not only will I get reimbursed for buying it, but I can also play during work hours when I have time.

[quote name='porieux']That's a fair point and I agree. Fortunately for me this is directly related to my work; not only will I get reimbursed for buying it, but I can also play during work hours when I have time.[/quote] What do you do? I wish aero-engineers could play video games at work :(... I guess that's what extended bathroom breaks are for.

[quote name='I AM WILLIAM H. MACY']
GAME = 50
GUITAR = 40
DRUMS = 30
MIC = 20

= $140, and even that's high!!! $200 for that crap?!!? Can't believe you people are buying into it![/quote]

Jesus, those are some pretty fucked up numbers.

[quote name='menikmati']Jesus, those are some pretty fucked up numbers.[/QUOTE]
I think it's fair:

Guitar Hero's guitar (for 360) would be $40 (or $30, if you count the with-game price)

The drums (assuming there's one pair), would, solely by definition of what drums do in life, not have much functionality. Possibly similar to the "Donkey Konga" ones. Thus, $30 (or cheaper if you're a cheap-ass)

The mic is not at all expensive, $20 is blowing it up a bit.

The game may be $60, but should be about $50.

I don't believe it's fucked

money says this will be $299.99 in Canada. If and when we ever see this bundle. Amazon.ca doesnt even show anything for rock band.

[quote name='I AM WILLIAM H. MACY']I think it's fair:

Guitar Hero's guitar (for 360) would be $40 (or $30, if you count the with-game price)

The drums (assuming there's one pair), would, solely by definition of what drums do in life, not have much functionality. Possibly similar to the "Donkey Konga" ones. Thus, $30 (or cheaper if you're a cheap-ass)

The mic is not at all expensive, $20 is blowing it up a bit.

The game may be $60, but should be about $50.

I don't believe it's fucked[/quote]

...there are 4 drums and a bass pedal all in one unit. Drums should be more like $60-70 in the same vein as the DrumMania series drums.

+$10 on the game price because it's on the Xbox 360/PS3.

[quote name='menikmati']...there are 4 drums and a bass pedal all in one unit. Drums should be more like $60-70 in the same vein as the DrumMania series drums.

+$10 on the game price because it's on the Xbox 360/PS3.[/QUOTE]

actually the quality of the drums look much higher quality. Thought not close to as good as the arcade ones or the yamaha DTX.

And I don't even know why people are even comparing this shit to real musical instruments... it's a fucking game for gods sake...

[quote name='kingsoby1']What do you do? I wish aero-engineers could play video games at work :(... I guess that's what extended bathroom breaks are for.[/QUOTE]

I don't really want to derail the thread, but you can read this post if you're curious.

GAME = 50
GUITAR = 40
DRUMS = 30
MIC = 20

those are all ridiculously UNDERpriced. when you buy equipment it's always going to cost more.

i'm surprised all these "musicians" on here are complaining about the prices because all real music equipment is WAY more EXPENSIVE than all this.

if you call yourself a musician you shouldn't even be that cheap...you're only as good as your equipment...and it sounds like a lot of you are beyond cheapassgamers lol. :)

Just so everyone knows, EA calls the $200 price point pure speculation, so it may be a good idea to lock in a preorder now just in case.

[quote name='BelieveTheHype']

i'm surprised all these "musicians" on here are complaining about the prices because all real music equipment is WAY more EXPENSIVE than all this.

[/QUOTE]
qft

[quote name='evanft']I seriously doubt that this is the final, official bundle price. I also doubt that the 360 bundle will include a wired guitar. Everyone just calm down.[/QUOTE]
Agreed. Everything is sheer speculation for right now, so even though I'm 90 percent certain I'm going to buy the entire bundle anyway I'm going to wait to jump on any preorder deals until

1) pricing is 100 percent confirmed by Harmonix
2) official word is out on the cross-compatibility between GH3 and RB guitars

I have a full GH1/2 + 2 guitar setup for my PS2, but now I have a 360 so I have some upgrading options. I'm completely sold on Rock Band 360; GH3 is a possibility, but if the guitars aren't compatible I may pass or just get it standalone on PS2.

EDIT: Also, to everyone dreaming about using a $5 USB microphone: The vocal performance grades you based on pitch and actual vowel sounds. A cheapie mic ain't gonna cut it. :)

bread's done
Back