Rock Band Collection (360/PS3) $170 (MSRP) shipped, PS2 version $150 at Amazon

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass
Staff member
Feedback
14 (100%)
If you don't want to schlep this stuff home, Amazon is offering up free shipping.
EB/GS are charging an extra $10 shipping charge.

Release date is November 20th. It is also conceivable that this stuff could be very hard to find during the holiday season.

$170
:ps3:Rock Band Collection (PS3)

:360:Rock Band Collection (Xbox 360)

$160 $150
:ps2:Rock Band Collection (PS2)
(12/11/07 release)

Guitar Compatibility: http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3164005
Guitar Hero II's X-Plorer
Rock Band? Yes
Guitar Hero II? Yes
Guitar Hero III? Yes
Guitar Hero III's Les Paul
Rock Band? Yes
Guitar Hero II? Yes
Guitar Hero III? Yes
Rock Band's Stratocaster
Rock Band? Yes
Guitar Hero II? Unknown, but unlikely
Guitar Hero III? No

In for a 360 bundle. I hope the free shipping doesn't take too much longer to arrive than retail copies. It'll drive me crazy if I see it at retail for a while before I get mine.

That said, we'll have to get some bands together. :)

Man, I'm hoping the 360 bundle turns around and ends up confirmed with wireless--I don't wanna buy the GHIII bundle just for a wireless guitar...

Isn't Rock Band supposed to be up to 4 players? Then why do you only get 1 guitar when you should get 2? It's not the full experience. It's 3/4 the experience (Guitar, Drums, Mic, no bass)

Cheapy's reason #3 made me chuckle.

[quote name='spartan789']Hilarious post on the frontpage on this Cheapy. Your commissions must be rolling.[/QUOTE]
not yet, CCs aren't charged till it's shipped :p

[quote name='Jek Porkins']In for a 360 bundle. I hope the free shipping doesn't take too much longer to arrive than retail copies. It'll drive me crazy if I see it at retail for a while before I get mine.[/QUOTE]

I figure I'll be busy playing GH3, so it won't bother me much if I don't get it on the release date.

In for a 360 bundle. Hopefully the guitar is wireless.

i just read from the front page that X360 version is out selling PS3 like 2:1? I thought the X360 version is wired, no? Sorry, i haven't been keeping up on this thread a while since a lot of OT comments (like this thing is $200! Wow, it's like a Wii etc...)

There's no official word on whether it's wired or not. Until it's official, there's always a chance it's wireless. Might as well take the risk, IMO.

I think Guitar Hero is really cool and all, but this game I am actually really excited for... especially the more I read about it.

I'm really only interested in picking up a version packed with a mic for 360. I have a few reasons - I have Guitar Hero 1&2 for PS2 - can't see owning *another* guitar when the first one was a hard purchase to stomach.

I also figure singing is more of a talent that you're either blessed with or you're not, and that if anything is in demand over Xbox Live, it'll be singers and drummers.

[quote name='jollydwarf']Any 'gamer' type who thinks they have the general public's reaction to this game pinned down is delusional and incredibly myopic. (Really, that's all most will need to read to get offended.) And probably between 12 and 21 years of age. ('Cause you guys are granted temporary omniscience!) We can't even begin to guess how people are going to react to the potentially cost-prohibitive nature of starting a 'band', and how many people will, for better or worse, just decide to stick with their music game 'comfort food', i.e. Guitar Hero III. In short, we can't get outside our frame of reference here, which is not needed for figuring whether Persona 3 is going to be the next mass market hit or if Madden 08 will become a niche title. This is a game with a ton of possible outcomes and a very flexible future, it seems.

Also, even if cost isn't an issue, getting the right combination of people together for the purpose of making music ain't easy. This game will bring out the clashing egos. Actually, I see a lot of bickering amongst the 18-and-under set about who does what (the younger, the worse), the group I think will easily have the biggest slice of this game's demographic pie chart. Is that a fun experience, everyone always wanting to do everything but what they're assigned? 'Cause you know how kids are.

I'm not rooting against Rock Band, per se, but I really dread thinking about the toxically obnoxious 'cute' YouTube videos and kids who forsake playing real music together that are both surefire byproducts of this game's existence. I think rock would be much better off if half the people into mimicking others' songs on--let's face it--toys, actually applied themselves to the real thing. And before you even say it, no, that just doesn't happen. The kid that graduates from his plastic, four-buttoned guitar to a real one--with any sort of dedication--is the distinct exception. It all seems to contribute to a mentality where no one can really 'rock out' without winking at what they're doing. "Hey, I like to have fun, but I can't take this geezer shit seriously!" These games, as much as they introduce great music to new generations**, make that same music safe for the family living room. And that ain't fucking rock and/or roll.

Lastly, there's no accounting for taste and no accounting for the mass market's fickle zeitgeist. We might be mere months away from music games being "So 2007." Who knows? Not you. Not me.

*--And this not currently being on the Wii hurts its potential, of course. You wanna talk about a crowd that would buy it without a second thought....

**--It's kind of like the difference between classic rock/metal and Jack Black demonstrating his love for them: the latter, while very sincere and not without talent, makes the whole thing look silly and cuddly, even if that angle is what ultimately makes the rock palatable to, you know, people who have not an ounce of rock in their souls whatsoever.[/quote]For someone who has played various instruments for 14 years, and has graduated with a music degree and still performs and teach, I think you are wrong about games like guitar hero and rock band. I have already seen so many people play these games and actually want to learn guitar or learn how to play piano. I've seen people never interested in the genre of rock and I mean a complete dislike, find a new respect for the music. This game is bringing the experience of "practicing" something to get better and that happens to be music. To make matters better for Rock Band, they will be trying to give those up and coming bands a little crack into the industry... I can say being a musician this is a very difficult thing to do. Also, these games are just fun, and whats wrong with having fun with games. I like it that these people are realizing how difficult playing a real instrument is.

Yeah, the PS3 special edition comes with game, guitar, drums, and mic.

I'm still torn on 360 or PS3, and I may flop over to 360 considering more people are getting that one. I'm surprised there isn't a poll thread on this topic yet.

I agree that Jack Black should absolutely NOT be allowed in any music games. Tenacious D is an unfunny bad joke w/ bad music

Preordered a PS3 version + 1 more guitar.

I looked at a wholesaler's back end inventory system that we have access to and its showing the PS3 as wireless and the 360 versions as wired. Probably the same source of info as Amazon's, but it is interesting.

And yes, I can't wait. Trading in GH2+Guitars the same day. ;)

Pre-ordered the 360 version when I got an email saying it was available for pre-order. You get no commission from me Cheapy for being slow ;). I would cancel and re-order using a link from here, but you pointed out how well it is selling and I don't want to risk not getting mine ;)

[quote name='jollydwarf']Any 'gamer' type who thinks they have the general public's reaction to this game pinned down is delusional and incredibly myopic. (Really, that's all most will need to read to get offended.) And probably between 12 and 21 years of age. ('Cause you guys are granted temporary omniscience!) We can't even begin to guess how people are going to react to the potentially cost-prohibitive nature of starting a 'band', and how many people will, for better or worse, just decide to stick with their music game 'comfort food', i.e. Guitar Hero III. In short, we can't get outside our frame of reference here, which is not needed for figuring whether Persona 3 is going to be the next mass market hit or if Madden 08 will become a niche title. This is a game with a ton of possible outcomes and a very flexible future, it seems.

Also, even if cost isn't an issue, getting the right combination of people together for the purpose of making music ain't easy. This game will bring out the clashing egos. Actually, I see a lot of bickering amongst the 18-and-under set about who does what (the younger, the worse), the group I think will easily have the biggest slice of this game's demographic pie chart. Is that a fun experience, everyone always wanting to do everything but what they're assigned? 'Cause you know how kids are.

I'm not rooting against Rock Band, per se, but I really dread thinking about the toxically obnoxious 'cute' YouTube videos and kids who forsake playing real music together that are both surefire byproducts of this game's existence. I think rock would be much better off if half the people into mimicking others' songs on--let's face it--toys, actually applied themselves to the real thing. And before you even say it, no, that just doesn't happen. The kid that graduates from his plastic, four-buttoned guitar to a real one--with any sort of dedication--is the distinct exception. It all seems to contribute to a mentality where no one can really 'rock out' without winking at what they're doing. "Hey, I like to have fun, but I can't take this geezer shit seriously!" These games, as much as they introduce great music to new generations**, make that same music safe for the family living room. And that ain't fucking rock and/or roll.

Lastly, there's no accounting for taste and no accounting for the mass market's fickle zeitgeist. We might be mere months away from music games being "So 2007." Who knows? Not you. Not me.

*--And this not currently being on the Wii hurts its potential, of course. You wanna talk about a crowd that would buy it without a second thought....

**--It's kind of like the difference between classic rock/metal and Jack Black demonstrating his love for them: the latter, while very sincere and not without talent, makes the whole thing look silly and cuddly, even if that angle is what ultimately makes the rock palatable to, you know, people who have not an ounce of rock in their souls whatsoever.[/quote]

I'm not entirely certain what the hell you end up talking about at the end of your tirade - something about music being safe for the family being a bad thing, and a double-asterisk rant about how you dislike Jack Black, and those that do don't have an ounce of rock in their soul. Therefore I'll start with the first asterisk and cover the rest.

You're very wrong about this being the type of game Wii owners would buy without a second thought. Its price approaches what they paid for their system. Wii has been aimed at, and adopted by, a wider audience than traditional gamers. Every single non-gamer that I've asked to hold & try a guitar hero guitar has been intimidated & overwhelmed. Some of them had fun, others grew too frustrated. Unlike the Wii, it wasn't something they could pick up and enjoy like swinging a tennis racket in Wii sports.

Without that casual, intuitive, etc, etc (insert other things about Wii here), interface, I don't see them as being instantaneously sold on Rock Band. Especially not considering the lofty price tag.

And the first thing you argue about, it sounds like you need to discover websites that focus on adult gaming, like 2old2play, as it would appear you have a distaste for gaming with those under 21 - many such sites have a minimum age of 25.

Different instruments will carry different "desired" levels. We don't know anything about the game's internal match-making, so any comments referring to how it'll be hard to find someone to fill all the necessary roles in a band are moot. We'll just have to see how it's handled on Live or PSN. Perhaps you can be in (shock!) multiple bands, in different roles for each (provided you have the equipment). If they're not up to snuff, and the game takes off, in my expert future-vision, I see websites popping up dedicated to managing bands. In terms of local multiplayer, that's like saying toys won't sell well to little kids because they're still learning to share. That was ridiculous to bring up. People could rotate instruments locally. Next.

Who ever said officially that they're only releasing a $200 all-inclusive set? That'd be suicide. You will get the hardcore-few and those which cost is of no concern (also few in relation to the size of the entire market). Releasing the individual instruments for sale makes common sense and I think would bode well for the game's success.

As for video games replacing learning real instruments, and vice versa, that's just ridiculous and deserves a stfu. If anything the game celebrates and fosters an appreciation for music. I won't even get into this, I don't know how many times, and how much more effectively, the argument over "why don't you learn a real instrument" can be covered. Suffice it to say that playing a music video game and playing a real instrument is not mutually exclusive, and the only interference I can forsee would be a that of time, and that falls upon the person's, or their parents', time management skills.

So: Rock Band has the right ingredients for success as it combines karaoke games, guitar/music games, and rhythym games in one. It's exclusion from the Wii doesn't hurt it because "they [Wii owners] would buy it without a second thought", but rather because that's a large userbase among the "next" gen consoles. Along the userbase argument, they should release it for the PS2. BUT neither system has the networking strength to deliver the unbelievably important online component of the game. There's the gamble. If anyone is going to buy it en masse, it will be at a lower price point of a single-instrument bundle, at which point they'll head online to complete their band experience. The potential and buzz is certainly in place for this to succeed. We'll have to see how EA handles positioning, marketing, and advertising the game.

Guitar of course will be the one that most people will be using when playing this over XBL. [GH2 guitars already out there + the fact that guitar to most people is just alot funner to use]. Which is why the makers got smart and made sure to make 1 FULL Rock Band you need 2 GUITARS.

As for the Mic and Drums. I believe that Mic will be the one that sells more often. Singstar Pop and the American Idol games and their sequals already show how this is going to work and how fun it is to play. On the price side the mic is probably the cheapest of the peripherals. Drums on the other hand will be the one that will PROBABLY (do not flame me please) be the hardest to find online. PRICE is one of the main concerns for alot of people, but another fact that alot of you guys have overlooked is PHYSICAL space. The drum set (as seen on G4 recently at E3) seems to me to be a BIG space hog for a peripheral that can only be used for 1 GAME. I of course already preordered the 360 ver (XBox Live is just awesome for online play - PS3 online has yet to impress me) but I am still worried that the drum set will become a giant obstacle in my already shrinking space I call my bedroom. Of course people are gonna start saying this is a Party Game and should be played in a Living Room/Den/Basement/Garage but truthfully I like playing some videos games from the comfort of my bed :p

Drums are gonna be hard to find but also its gonna be very interesting to see how the AGE factor will play in online. Under 18s and even a few overs I've come across have for the most part been total assholes online (XBL / PC MMOs / etc.) but this being a rhythm game I wonder if they will crossover. Another of my concerns, well not really a concern more like a preference is how will this game fare with minority of most video game genres, women. My women friends have expressed to me their anticipation for such a Musical PARTY Rhythm Game. It kinda saddens me going on xbox live for these types of games. Men pretending to be women, women pretending to be men so the asshole men out there don't pick on em, and of course the man in the group/team that is picked to be the girl just cause the team needs a woman/healer/sorceress/etc.

So how many women out there preordered this or even men out there who preordered this with hopes of getting their wife/girlfriend/girl that is a friend/sister/etc. to play this game?

Enough of my ranting I need to get back to playing some games... Or Work... Nah Games lol...

[quote name='M3wThr33']Any USB headset or mic will work.
Except the 360's official headset because it sucks.
Seriously.[/quote]

Wow wasn't aware of that. Guess that will make it easier to find singers online. Just gotta get them to get over the fear of singing infront of others :p

The singing part if it's anything like past karaoke games (and it seems to me like it is from what I saw of it on G4) just measures pitch and tone. So in reality you should be able to just hum your way to a good score. Won't look/sound good online but for those High Score achievers I guess its an alternative.

Also how many people do you think are gonna play the guitar or drums and sing at the same time????

In for 360 bundle. I personally could careless if guitar is wired or wireless. Yes, wireless is nice, but I can sit on my couch with my GHII guitar and still have plenty of slack on cord.

[quote name='TomoyoN']Also how many people do you think are gonna play the guitar or drums and sing at the same time????[/quote]

My friend has made it a point to buy mic stand so he can sing and play guitar at same time. I might just do the same on the drums.

So wait, a few questions, because I've seen stories going both ways:

1) If the price of this specific bundle (with 1 wired guitar, mic and drums) goes up above $200, will Amazon be forced to honor the $200 price?

2) If the bundle changes (say, the 360 wired guitar becomes a wireless guitar), is your preorder still honored?

I know I'm getting the game and I'm getting the full-bore set (with a second guitar from GH3), but I just want to know what I'm getting into. :)

[quote name='ScottG13']Preordered a PS3 version + 1 more guitar.

I looked at a wholesaler's back end inventory system that we have access to and its showing the PS3 as wireless and the 360 versions as wired. Probably the same source of info as Amazon's, but it is interesting.

And yes, I can't wait. Trading in GH2+Guitars the same day. ;)[/quote]

Why not keep the old games?

[quote name='disposable']In for 360 bundle. I personally could careless if guitar is wired or wireless. Yes, wireless is nice, but I can sit on my couch with my GHII guitar and still have plenty of slack on cord.

My friend has made it a point to buy mic stand so he can sing and play guitar at same time. I might just do the same on the drums.[/quote]

Seems that'd make it almost too hard to maintain the accuracy needed, and on top of that, the sound from the mic so close to your drums I'd think would interfere with the vocal input.

[quote name='contej85']Seems that'd make it almost too hard to maintain the accuracy needed, and on top of that, the sound from the mic so close to your drums I'd think would interfere with the vocal input.[/quote]

Maybe, only one way to find out right?:D

[quote name='disposable']Maybe, only one way to find out right?:D[/quote]

Oh definitely, more power to you. As a Rhythm gamer, I remember how hard it was when they showhorned in other activities into the likes of DDR and such, and though feasible on the easier stuff, I can't imagine trying to do so on the toughest tracks.

I pre-ordered for the 360....I picked the 2 day shipping ($8.98) and it was still cheaper than tax would be @ a B&M store.

I called my local GameStop and asked about pre-ordering....they said $199.99, but they said if the price went up they would charge the new / higher price when I picked it up.

I figured the safe bet was to lock in the $199.99 (or lower) Amazon price. I think Nov 20th will be a profitable day for CheapyD. An early Christmas present from Rockin' CAGs!

okay as soon as i get home i'm preordering this for the 360. i missed out last time cuz i didn't think i had the money, but since amazon doesn't charge until it ships...i think i'll be okay.

is this a full size drum kit. Meaning i got 300 bucks at gamecrazy and thinking aobut buying one of these and resell it on ebay.

HOW BIG OF a box will i need to resell this

also how big of a shipping rate do you think this is going to run

if Eb games only charges 10 bucks to ship it i dont think its going to be a full size drum kit cause i would think it would cost more then 10 bucks to ship it

hell hero with the guitar runs almost 9 to ship

[quote name='TomoyoN']The singing part if it's anything like past karaoke games (and it seems to me like it is from what I saw of it on G4) just measures pitch and tone. So in reality you should be able to just hum your way to a good score. Won't look/sound good online but for those High Score achievers I guess its an alternative.[/quote]

I recently read that they are actually sensing for the phenomes in the words, so they're checking for your pronunciation of the words, in addition to the pitch and rhythm. I think it will probably be more difficult than past Karaoke games.

Someone please explain how this is a good deal (particularly on a site called "Cheap Ass Gamer")? Perhaps someone should re-define what exactly "Cheap-Ass" means. The original Guitar Hero cost $70 for PS2 with a guitar. That was successful so they charged $10 extra for the sequel with guitar... OK, not the end of the world.

Then the 360 version charged another $10 for the "next-gen" tax. So we're at $90 for a game + Guitar. Now throw in a drum set and a mic, and you get $110 more? Please think this through, people, before you reward a company for making a good game and then completely ripping people off for their encore. Yeah, it looks fun... but $200 is way too much for a game that just comes with a few toy instruments.

-Jeff
http://alinktothefuture.com

[quote name='leshrac55']but $200 is way too much for a game that just comes with a few toy instruments.

-Jeff
http://alinktothefuture.com[/quote]

That's life.
Toy or not, things take lots of money to make.
This is not a Donkey Konga bongo that sells for $4. It is a nicely designed drum kit. People pay well over $600 to buy a set for Drummania, and this price is reasonable.

I play DDR using the DanceDrum controller that you beat with two sticks. Videogame or not, the addiction factor is totally worth it. Granted this only cost me $6, but it is hardly accurate or perfect, like I'm sure the rock band drums are. Friends come over and hate DDR, and they play the heck out of this with a huge grin!

Also bear in mind this will more than likely be a series that spans the life of the 360. 6 years, anyone?

Look at games made by Bemania ;
I bought a $200 pop n music pad, and a cheapo $30 beatmania dj controller. 200 is excessive you're thinking , right? Hardly. They have released 7 pop n music games for PS2, and they are up to #13 on beatmania games.
This "toy" will last you for years of fun. There's like 6 DDR's on the PS2 also. It totally justifies the purchase of a special controller. These games are still being released on the PS2.

Just pray Rock Band is a long running franchise and that they don't start changing the controllers, or if they do, at least make the previous ones still work on the future games.

[quote name='lunker']So wait, a few questions, because I've seen stories going both ways:

1) If the price of this specific bundle (with 1 wired guitar, mic and drums) goes up above $200, will Amazon be forced to honor the $200 price?

2) If the bundle changes (say, the 360 wired guitar becomes a wireless guitar), is your preorder still honored?

I know I'm getting the game and I'm getting the full-bore set (with a second guitar from GH3), but I just want to know what I'm getting into. :)[/quote]

My family is wondering the same thing about the price change.
The wireless thing would not matter at all.

I never have friends over to play videogames so it makes sense for me to buy the game and drums seperately. GHII guitar, drums and XboxLive mic satisfy all the requirements for a person in my situation. I will spring for a new (hopefully wireless) guitar sometime next year. Now to find some space to store this massive peripheral.

[quote name='Identity Fraud']Why not keep the old games?[/quote]

My mistake. Actually, I haven't decided what I'm going to do. I'm clearly an idiot. ;)

On the issue of wired/wireless guitars: there was a system update on the 360 this morning that Major Nelson said was for the "wireless guitars" (emphasis mine). I'm guessing that means that we'll at least see a wireless guitar offered from Harmonix for Rock Band. Whether it is standard is still up in the air.

[quote name='somahead33']I never have friends over to play videogames so it makes sense for me to buy the game and drums seperately. GHII guitar, drums and XboxLive mic satisfy all the requirements for a person in my situation. I will spring for a new (hopefully wireless) guitar sometime next year. Now to find some space to store this massive peripheral.[/quote]

It doesn't work with the Xbox Live Mic, as Harmonix has stated that the codec used for voice with that system didn't provide enough to properly guage the voice input.

[quote name='ScottG13']My mistake. Actually, I haven't decided what I'm going to do. I'm clearly an idiot. ;)[/quote]

Ok. I preordered 360 version, too. I'm hedging bets. I'll end up going with whichever appeals towards launch and cancel the other unless it looks like a low availability title and I'll sell the other one to a deserving soul.

I'm in for a 360 one. Though that may be a bad thing for many of you. I think I'll be handling vocals because it looks like a lot of fun. Problem is I can't sing worth a damn XD

[quote name='MC Hampster']On the issue of wired/wireless guitars: there was a system update on the 360 this morning that Major Nelson said was for the "wireless guitars" (emphasis mine). I'm guessing that means that we'll at least see a wireless guitar offered from Harmonix for Rock Band. Whether it is standard is still up in the air.[/QUOTE]

It's for the Guitar Hero III wireless controllers. Not saying we won't see one for Rock Band, but this update doesn't shed any light on it.

[quote name='forumreader']It's for the Guitar Hero III wireless controllers. Not saying we won't see one for Rock Band, but this update doesn't shed any light on it.[/quote]

Just the fact that GHIII will be wireless though should be enough to signal a wireless Rock Band. The big hangup was M$ letting go of the license, but if Activision was able to purchase it, you don't think EA would be all over that? I SUPPOSE I could see the reasoning for not including it in the bundle...but even that seems like a mistake.

Also, it's never too early to pimp yourself! I'm getting the 360 bundle, so I'll be looking for my "virtual band" I'd also like to attempt the guitarist/lead singer feat. Here's my resume:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YkkfdsDgzWY

bread's done
Back