Rock Band - Discussion moved to Rock Band 2 thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='doctorfaustus']Does anyone know if the Logitech USB mic for PS3 works for Rock Band on the 360? Thanks.[/quote]

it does not. Does work with PS2, though

[quote name='Lokki']Nice list.. Add:

Tool - Damn near any song
Some old school Stabbing Westward & Filter would be fun too.[/QUOTE]

Hell to the yes. Come on Harmonix, just give me one song, I don't even care if it's not a master, so long as it isn't one of those shitty "Tribute To Tool" sort of covers that's everywhere on iTunes.

[quote name='GenDV138']Got my Destroyer Pedal yesterday that I ordered from http://www.rockbandpedal.net in March. Tested it out on Tom Sawyer on expert and it works really well, much better than the stock pedal. Didn't do too well though since I was playing on a wooden floor, so it slipped around quite a bit, need to pick up a rug pad or a rubber mat tomorrow to keep it from slipping.[/quote]

Wow, $80.00 bucks? Can't you make one for like $35.00?

I guess time = money. Is it worth it in general? As I'd like to put my own together but I need to justify the initial expenses.

[quote name='yukine']Is it worth it in general? As I'd like to put my own together but I need to justify the initial expenses.[/quote]

We just bought one from OmegaPedal (just before the maker put out a notice that he can't sell any more until August), and it is awesome. It's so much sturdier and heavier than the stock pedal, and gives a very satisfying vibration through the floor when it hits.

Definitely takes some getting used to at first, but it was 85 bucks well spent to keep our drummer (aka my fiancee) happy. They also sell a splitter there to use two pedals at the same time without interference (can hold both down at the same time), in case you want to get really crazy.

No idea if it'll work with the GH: World Tour when it comes out, but that would be nice if they used the same interface. If you see yourself playing Rock Band a year down the line, it might be a good idea to invest in one of these after-market pedals.

[quote name='yukine']Wow, $80.00 bucks? Can't you make one for like $35.00?

I guess time = money. Is it worth it in general? As I'd like to put my own together but I need to justify the initial expenses.[/quote]

Yeah, I think it's worth it, I got mine for $74, so far I like it better than the stock pedal. Factoring all the costs, time, gas, etc. of doing it myself, I figured it would be better to just order one already made and not have to worry about getting it working correctly and what not. I just need to adjust the tension a bit so double hits are easier to pull off. I think getting a real pedal really depends on how much you want to improve your score and how much you like to play, especially on expert.

[quote name='JohnnyFoxDarko']Right now I'm thinking GH4>RB2.[/QUOTE]
Obviously based on all the information that has come out about Rock Band 2.

All the people annoyed with the Weezer songs, stop with the complaining. I'm not necessarily going to buy them either but god damn, they've giving us a full Pixies album PLUS the Weezer songs, content-wise this is probably the most significant Tuesday we've had yet.

[quote name='KaneRobot']Obviously based on all the information that has come out about Rock Band 2.

All the people annoyed with the Weezer songs, stop with the complaining. I'm not necessarily going to buy them either but god damn, they've giving us a full Pixies album PLUS the Weezer songs, content-wise this is probably the most significant Tuesday we've had yet.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, it's new stuff too. I really like the idea of having super recent stuff in the market place. It gives me hope more artists will try to promote their albums by releasing songs on RB.

[quote name='KingDox']Yeah, it's new stuff too. I really like the idea of having super recent stuff in the market place. It gives me hope more artists will try to promote their albums by releasing songs on RB.[/quote]

As long as they promote on the cheap (a la Saints of Los Angeles) I'm all for it!!

The amazing thing is that Harmonix/EA could easily hire a small team of like 5 people and they could simply create and test new songs for albums/singles. I mean, i'm assuming EA's cut is pretty good since they have to program the songs for the game, for 4 different instruments and 4 different difficulties. I wouldn't be surprised if it was 50/50 in terms of profit. I would personally love to see bands putting their albums up, more choices the better.

[quote name='eastx']Rock Band has the lame tiny frets for Hammers Ons and Pull Offs though. But yeah, its interface is mostly much better than GH's.[/quote]

I like those better; I'd take white overdrive notes and small hammer ons/pull offs over their Guitar Hero alternates. And it also pisses me off that you can't add to your star power while you're using it.

[quote name='Scorch']it does not. Does work with PS2, though[/quote]

Wait, does the Xbox 360 mic work on the PS2?

[quote name='lolwut?']And it also pisses me off that you can't add to your star power while you're using it.[/quote]

Oh man, totally agreed. I never really appreciated that little tweak until going back for a couple rounds of Guitar Hero, and then instinctively using my Star Power during some white notes to make it last longer! haha, no go!

[quote name='Scorch']it does not. Does work with PS2, though[/QUOTE]

It most certainly does. It's just a usb microphone. I'm using my PS2 mic on the 360.

[quote name='porieux']It's so easy to hook up your own kick pedal it's ridiculous. I posted the link a few pages back.[/quote]

...where?

I've been thinking about getting one of these $80 pedals, but the fact that they take 4-6 weeks to come (my pedal is on the verge of snapping) is a deterrent.

On another note; if anyone has been doubting The Cars album, don't. I just bought it the other day and it has some of the most fun songs on Expert guitar I've played in awhile. Not too hard, but varied enough to keep you on your feet.

[quote name='GamerChris']It most certainly does. It's just a usb microphone. I'm using my PS2 mic on the 360.[/quote]

Guess it's not something they'd want to advertise on the box, then :dunce:

After internally debating, I finally picked up Rock Band. I love the drumming but I've found the guitar pretty boring so far. Of course, I have only had it a day or so but the drum kit was worth it in itself. I can't wait to get the hang of it well enough to warrant getting some DLC.

[quote name='Brainwave0']As long as they promote on the cheap (a la Saints of Los Angeles) I'm all for it!![/QUOTE]

[cough]should be free. [/cough]

It is a marketing tool. You can't use the music anywhere else and people end up going out and buying the music through iTunes or elsewhere as well. Not a huge gripe since, for the most part, they've come in at $1, but if they start coming in at $2 then I have a problem. :)

[quote name='deszaras']After internally debating, I finally picked up Rock Band. I love the drumming but I've found the guitar pretty boring so far. Of course, I have only had it a day or so but the drum kit was worth it in itself. I can't wait to get the hang of it well enough to warrant getting some DLC.[/quote] I just started drumming its really fun i like it a lot.

Anyone have songs they can't beat yet?

I'm pretty good at guitar, but I can't seem to beat Green Grass and High Tides, Flirtin' With Disaster, and any of the Metallica DLC on Expert; it's those damn solos! To be fair, I haven't really taken any of them into practice mode; I never do.

Drums on the other hand, I'm still stuck on Vasoline on Hard mode :lol:

Been playing since launch and I still can't beat Green Grass High Tides on Expert Guitar. But then I haven't put 100% into the effort.

GGAHT, Thrasher, Metallica DLC are only ones I can think of offhand that I can't beat right now. Avenged Sevenfold, Afterlife I currently can't nail down, but I think few more playthrough's and I'll get it.

Question. Can I use the mic that comes with American Idol Encore on Rock Band? I just bought this game (game only) and I think my wife might like to sing with me but we don't have room for a drum set.

[quote name='ZForce915']Question. Can I use the mic that comes with American Idol Encore on Rock Band? I just bought this game (game only) and I think my wife might like to sing with me but we don't have room for a drum set.[/quote]
If its a USB mic then yeah. ANY USB microphone should work.

Thanks. I can get a copy of this at my Target for $25, and I should be able to resell the American Idol game for enough to make it worth the purchase of just the mic.

[quote name='bardockkun']GGAHT, Thrasher, Metallica DLC are only ones I can think of offhand that I can't beat right now. Avenged Sevenfold, Afterlife I currently can't nail down, but I think few more playthrough's and I'll get it.[/quote]

Thrasher, forgot about that one. I was disappointed when I bought Afterlife and found that I couldn't beat it :lol:

Pretty nice site, thanks for the link!

http://dlcquickplay.com/xbox/gendv138x

Probably pick up a few Pixies songs, don't think I'll get the whole album. And probably two of the Weezer songs.

Edit: Listened to Doolittle again and I think I'll get the whole album, buying all the songs I like would cost more than the album anyways.

I just checked, and I still can't beat Ride the Lightening, haha.

[quote name='porieux']Here[/quote]

Hmm, thanks for this; I think I'll still probably buy one off one of the sites however.

[quote name='lolwut?']Anyone have songs they can't beat yet?

I'm pretty good at guitar, but I can't seem to beat Green Grass and High Tides, Flirtin' With Disaster, and any of the Metallica DLC on Expert; it's those damn solos! To be fair, I haven't really taken any of them into practice mode; I never do.

Drums on the other hand, I'm still stuck on Vasoline on Hard mode :lol:[/QUOTE]

:lol: I'm stuck on the same exact songs on guitar AND drums. Same difficulties as well.

[quote name='lolwut?']Anyone have songs they can't beat yet?

Drums on the other hand, I'm still stuck on Vasoline on Hard mode :lol:[/QUOTE]

I've never been that great at the guitar. I only played through the first 4 Guitar Hero games on Medium, but with the new RB guitar, I've actually been able to work on the Hard career. There were a few sticking points, but now I think I might be permanently stuck on Enter Sandman. I only make it to about 23-25% before failing out.

[quote name='BlueWingX']I've never been that great at the guitar. I only played through the first 4 Guitar Hero games on Medium, but with the new RB guitar, I've actually been able to work on the Hard career. There were a few sticking points, but now I think I might be permanently stuck on Enter Sandman. I only make it to about 23-25% before failing out.[/QUOTE]

I'm the same way. I can get 95%+ on any medium song but in GH I struggle to get through hard. But Rock Band is much easier. I'm not sure if it is the guitar or the actual game. I can play hard and I tried some experts song for the heck of it and managed to get 85%+ (which is amazing for me).

My feelings are I'd rather rock out and do good on medium than butcher hard and not have as much fun.

So whats everyone's impression of the Pixies album? Its probably one of, if not my favorite album, so I am really tempted to get it. I need some impressions first though. Do the songs vary, or do they play similarily?

[quote name='SoulReaver']So whats everyone's impression of the Pixies album? Its probably one of, if not my favorite album, so I am really tempted to get it. I need some impressions first though. Do the songs vary, or do they play similarily?[/quote]I absolutely love the Pixies and love Doolittle, but in terms of the RB charts, they're a bit disappointing. The charts are about what you'd expect listening to the album, which is very easy. most of the songs are mostly strumming chords, long held notes, basic single-note leads (like Debaser's main riff or the lead at the end of No. 13 Baby) or Joey Santiago's crazy tremolo picking (Silver, There Goes My Gun, Crackity Jones...lordy, does Crackity Jones have some trmolo picking). Bass is similarly what you'd expect. If you've played Wave of Mutilation, most of the songs are like that..straight lines of 8th notes, some walking basslines, a tiny bit of quick strumming. Drums are also sadly basic. Aside from some rolls and some quick fills, it's mostly just keeping the beat. There's something awesome in every song, some brilliant little moment in the verses or something..but a lot of it is very basic.

All this is merely a disclaimer though. It's a fantastic album and it's very, very fun just to be able to play the songs in RB. I'd give it a cautious recommendation if you're a big fan, but if the idea of some simple charts worries you, then youtube some first, just to be sure.

[quote name='SoulReaver']So whats everyone's impression of the Pixies album? Its probably one of, if not my favorite album, so I am really tempted to get it. I need some impressions first though. Do the songs vary, or do they play similarily?[/QUOTE]

I got the album this morning and was subsequently late for work ;)

I've only played a few songs so far on guitar:
(caveat - I'm not that good: only a Medium level person + I'm a big Pixies fan)

so far: Debaser, Tame, Here Comes Your Man, La La Love You & No. 13 Baby

Depends on which instrument you like to play. La La Love You is very easy on guitar, but the drummer will probably have to work it a little more.
Debaser is my favorite and the first one I jumped on, but I think it's a song I'd need to do from bass to really get into it.

Kudos to anyone who can maintain the screaming in Tame :D

The songs are short, and if you're looking for German metal level of difficulty, you aren't going to get it here. I think these songs are more group oriented, allowing each instrument to shine at different times as you play through the album. People only playing the guitar part might feel like they got shafted since I think there was only 2 guitar solos in those 5 songs I played (and even then, the solos weren't that intensive).

Again, I'm very biased since I love the group, so I'm looking forward to trying all of the instruments for this album (which I haven't done yet for other songs - hell, my drum set is still in plastic and unassembled). Overall, as a Pixies fan, I'm estatic and will be playing with this album for awhile.

Well....I would like a challenge, but as long as its fun its fine with me. I can play Expert/ Hard on guitar and hard/medium on the drums. Vocals I love doing, but I can only do medium/hard. The impressions you guys gave aren't really impressing me....

Thinking about whether or not I should pick up the whole album or just a select few as I only have like 4 DLC songs in total.

BWT question. My friend and I have maxed out our fans on hard. Can we keep playing to unlock the endless set list and get in the hall of fame and such?

I'm kind of disappointed with today's outing. Out of the 17 tracks, I think I'll only be getting "Mr. Grieves" and maybe, possibly "The Greatest Man Who Ever Lived."

I'm happy for Pixies fans, and I've found a few songs that I'd listen to IRL, but the charts and length for these are abysmal. Don't even get me started on "Troublemaker" or "Dreamin'."

[quote name='seanr1221']BWT question. My friend and I have maxed out our fans on hard. Can we keep playing to unlock the endless set list and get in the hall of fame and such?[/QUOTE]

Yes, i think the hall of fame and endless setlist can all be achieved on hard. You just need 450 stars and so many fans.

[quote name='GamerChris']Yes, i think the hall of fame and endless setlist can all be achieved on hard. You just need 450 stars and so many fans.[/QUOTE]

Endless setlist can be done on Medium as well. I've only done a few songs/sets on Hard in BWT since I play/sing solo and unlocked Endless setlist. I've maxed out my fans around 580k though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back