Rock Band series - Rock Band 4 out now

[quote name='Corvin']False.

The RB2 Strat is leagues better than the RB1 Strat, which is garbage. The GH controllers are still better made, but the RB2 guitar is far from the slouch you make it out to be.

I'm a convert, I use to swear by the Les Paul, but I couldn't live without the RB2 Strat these days. It took a night to get used to the bigger buttons and spongy strum, but I can't go back to the tiny GH buttons and 'click' strum.[/QUOTE]

I'm glad to hear that someone likes the RB2 guitar, because I NEED wireless when I play and I just can't stand how loud the click is on the world hero guitar. The les paul is fine though.

Anyone know of any deals on the RB2?

And this is the first time I've ever done it here on CAG but I had to ingore BostonCollegeFan...nothing but trolling for arguments here...

Again, how is giving advice trolling? If you don't want unbiased advice, don't fucking ask. Seriously, I come in here and give advice or say I don't like re-records and suddenly i'm a HMX hater. Whatever. The solo buttons are a dumb idea and have no redeeming factor in actual gameplay, same with the touch pad, unless you're trying to show off. The only deciding factor for the guitars should be:

A. Do you want it wireless (RB2 or LP/GHWT)? If not, buy the Xplorer.
B. Do you want it compatabile with every game? (LP/GHWT) If not, the RB2 Strat only works with RB,RB2,GH:A,GH:WT,GH:M
C. Do you want a click? (LP/GHWT) If no click (RB2).
4. Do you want to act like you're cool? (RB2/GHWT)
5. Do you like a metronome to keep on beat? (LP/GHWT)
6. Do you plan to play professionally? (Xplorer)
7. Do you like a well supported strum bar (LP/ GHWT) or one that is sensitive? (RB2)
8. Do you want to be 99% perfectly synched? (RB2)

Anyone in high professional play refuses the RB strats, and GHWT guitar, and rely on wired, which the best option is the Xplorer. If you are looking to play legit, get something wired, else follow that guide above. Just whatever you do, DO NOT BUY THE ROCK BAND 1 GUITAR. Please, don't. Just don't. Ever. Worse guitar ever, build wise.

Or if you want something cheap, get one of the third party Frontmans.

Last edited by a moderator:
You said that the solo buttons are the worst feature on a guitar controller, and I highly disagree. You aren't forced to use them, they're there if you want to use them. Why is it a terrible feature? I think they add a lot to the game.

The worst feature on a guitar controller would be the detachable necks, by far.

[quote name='Bioshocked360']You said that the solo buttons are the worst feature on a guitar controller, and I highly disagree. You aren't forced to use them, they're there if you want to use them. Why is it a terrible feature? I think they add a lot to the game.

The worst feature on a guitar controller would be the detachable necks, by far.[/QUOTE]

I don't consider detachable necks a feature (plus I said second to, not THE worst), but if you do, then I agree. If we're talking terrible features as in selling points, it goes (from worst to best): {Detachable Necks}

I was thinking of getting rid of my Xplorer guitars for the Les Paul ones since they're wireless, but if they're not as good, then I don't see the point. -_-

It's hard to beat the Xplorer, honestly. I mean, if you don't like it, then yeah, they're not good, but if you like the Xplorers, you're never going to find the accuracy of those with any wireless. Maybe the Beatles instruments will change this (I hope so, for $250 fucking dollars). I'm juggling right now if I want to buy the Beatles instruments or drop the 250 on a ion drum rocker.

I figured the Les Paul would be right up with there with the xplorer if nothing else. I guess wired will always be better than wireless, other than convenient, but is it enough to really matter?

I prefer wireless for convenience of course and I like the black over the white, but if it's nothing noticeable between the two, I might go ahead and upgrade it.

If you care about getting 100% FC's on Expert then it kinda matters, otherwise not really. I love the Les Paul (I have a GHWT coming to me now so i'm anxious to check that out), but the detachable neck killed it kinda, and my Yellow notes don't stay down or don't always register. I mean, if you can find a Les Paul for like $10 it's totally worth it.

Not sure I can find one that cheap, but it'd be nice for sure. I think I saw them at best buy for about 20 new, so maybe I'll check there eventually. I am starting out on Hard now, and I don't see myself playing expert anytime soon. I'm not a die hard fan/player by any means. I usually play through the campaign, then just play my favorite songs with my friends and family afterwards.

Yeah then i'd suggest the Les Paul. $20 for it is a steal if you don't mind the occasional drop note (which you probably won't notice until you hit expert).

It's too bad the Rock Band 1 instrument sucked :(. Was wired and could've been amazing, if not for the piss poor building :(

The main thing I noticed about the rock band guitar (only used it once at a friends) was that the buttons felt so cheap and extremely clicky. I much preferred the guitar hero xplorer than that piece of crap.
It was hard to hit the notes because the damn clicky sound and made me mess up completely, not to mention I never felt like it was going to register when I hit them.

I'll look into the Les Paul. Hopefully I can find some cheap ones. I still need to get the drums, which I am probably going to get the rock band 1 ones (yeah, I know the foot pedal breaks easily and is wired) but I don't see me playing it that much, and for 29.99 new, I can't really go wrong. If I see I really like it, I'll end up getting the newer ones and upgrade, but I figure I'll try the RB1's out first. I wish it was compatable with GH's or at least vice versa. :S

Yeah, I didn't like how flimsy the fretboard felt on the RB1 instrument. I was hoping they fixed it for the RB2 one but I never heard if they did or not. The strum bar is infamous in it's terribleness, but they fixed that in the RB2 supposedbly so.

As for the RB1 drums, i'd say that's the best bet, especially for the price. I'm extremely, extremely lucky in that my RB1 launch drums have always worked pretty damn good (they do miss notes), but the foot pedal is terrible heh. The RB1 drums are compatible with GHWT and GH:M btw. I use them on those games.

Me and a pick up group just did the Star Trek battle, we're 4th place right now and made me think, the song is ridiculously easy (So Whatchu Want), is there any cags on here who want to do a CAG band and just win it all? You have to be able to 100% it (I can 100% on guitar or bass, and 100% vocals is mad easy, I just read out of my text book to get 100% on it). Which means just looking for someone who can do the drums.

[quote name='Sparta Omni']Oh for real?? I thought I heard it didn't work. That's awesome![/quote]
If you have the Wii version the Rock Band instruments WILL NOT work for Guitar Hero and vice versa.

yeah I just assumed 360 since we're in the 360 section heh, the PS3 Les Paul is garbage 100% incase anyone was wondering for PS3.

But yeah, 360 CAG band, we can win that prize.

[quote name='BostonCollegeFan']the PS3 Les Paul is garbage 100% incase anyone was wondering for PS3.[/quote]
How so?

nah, just the 360 version from what I gather uses IR for wireless, while the PS3 version uses a dongle for the wireless as they didn't have the technology for bluetooth from Sony yet.

[quote name='BostonCollegeFan']nah, just the 360 version from what I gather uses IR for wireless, while the PS3 version uses a dongle for the wireless as they didn't have the technology for bluetooth from Sony yet.[/quote]
Ah, I see.

I Got a wired Les Paul. I Got it from a store display, but still works just as well. The necks are detachable on those as well, but they're ALOT more sturdy compared to the normal ones.

[quote name='ZForce915']And this is the first time I've ever done it here on CAG but I had to ingore BostonCollegeFan...nothing but trolling for arguments here...[/QUOTE]

thumpsup.gif

He popped my 'ignore' cherry as well.

If you have any experience with stripping wires you can just bypass the neck and connect the wires from the neck to the inside of the body. Wire's are pretty small but it beats having to deal with the neck problems. I can find the link from the mod on scorehero if you're interested.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Corvin']
thumpsup.gif

He popped my 'ignore' cherry as well.[/quote]
Same here; I find I'm enjoying the forums a lot more now.

I do have a question about my RB guitar for anyone who knows: I got a RB1 bundle at Sam's Club back in October for $120 and, while my guitar is wired it has the same battery door as the wireless RB guitar I got at Circuit City's death sale.

The thing is, while the guitars look the same they don't play the same. The wireless guitar's strum bar is stiffer compared to the wired and the frets on the wireless are really loud compared to the wired.

So, my question is this: Are they both RB1 guitars? As far as I knew, wireless was introduced with RB2.

[quote name='Corvin']
thumpsup.gif

He popped my 'ignore' cherry as well.[/QUOTE]

:applause:

LOL. I also ignored him. He was starting to piss me off so I decided ignoring was better than bashing/trolling.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Today I won 160 MS Points in the Star Trek/Rock Band contest. What to buy? I want at least 2 packs. Need more points! Hopefully we get some more quality downloads. I play "Don't Stop Believing" every time I'm on RB2 now.

RB1 guitars for PS3 were wireless out the box for the bundle so hence the battery case on the wired 360 ones. From there on for the RB1 wireless guitar for 360 at least they seemed to change things around for reason I never understood.

I can't believe Ridin' the Storm Out isn't the live version. Album version sounds like shit in comparison.

Other than that, the Styx re-records aren't bad. I'd prefer the originals but this is probably the closest I'll come so I'm not complaining.

[quote name='CombatCraig']Lego Rock Band Is Real

And they get Final Countdown!? No fair![/QUOTE]

Not interested, but I bet we'll get either the songs from LRB as DLC, or they'll be transferrable...hopefully in RB1 to RB2 "transfer key purchase" style, rather than the one-use-only AC/DC to RB transfer code.

I figure it will be one use only. I think that idea is what they like and it makes more sense for them financially.

[quote name='KaneRobot']Not interested, but I bet we'll get either the songs from LRB as DLC, or they'll be transferrable...hopefully in RB1 to RB2 "transfer key purchase" style, rather than the one-use-only AC/DC to RB transfer code.[/QUOTE]

I'm willing to bet it's going to be like the AC/DC style, if any at all.

if i can export tracks from rb 1 & 2 for lego (or the other way around), then its a must buy, otherwise ill wait for a sale. final countdown alone almost makes its a day one purchase, but ill wait for more info.

Reading the comments on news blogs, I don't get why so many people are upset over Lego Rock Band. Most of them are "ZOMG Harmonix is becoming Activision!!!" or "WTF? Is this necessary?"

It says right in the article that this is focused at families and children. Sure, the characters in Rock Band aren't exactly realistic - but they can be off-putting to some parents who think they're too risque. Who can say no to the cute little guys from Legoland?

My opinion - Harmonix has maintained a cross-compatibility stance with their games so far, so if you can move songs between LEGO and RB2 I might consider picking it up if the track list is good. Then, might even stick with LEGO as my primary RB if the animations are fun.

[quote name='bardockkun']RB1 guitars for PS3 were wireless out the box for the bundle so hence the battery case on the wired 360 ones. From there on for the RB1 wireless guitar for 360 at least they seemed to change things around for reason I never understood.[/quote]
Thanks. I just didn't understand why my wired guitar would accept batteries.

Also, if anyone's looking to play the songs off the REO/Styx pack I'm buying it tomorrow and I have the 360 version. Fairly decent on Guitar/Bass on Hard. GT should be there, if not its Keavy Rain.

bread's done
Back