Rock Band series - Rock Band 4 out now

For those who have the Stage Kit, whats up with the USB cable? I took the thing out and it came with the big unit the small led part with the controller, juice, funnel and a extra cord that goes from the small unit to the larger one. The cable that comes off the smaller one and attached is not a usb. Is there a usb cord that plugs into that? This is going to be a pain if i have to return it.

[quote name='GeorgeCostanza']For those who have the Stage Kit, whats up with the USB cable? I took the thing out and it came with the big unit the small led part with the controller, juice, funnel and a extra cord that goes from the small unit to the larger one. The cable that comes off the smaller one and attached is not a usb. Is there a usb cord that plugs into that? This is going to be a pain if i have to return it.[/QUOTE]

There should be a USB cord running from the smaller light. I don't remember if it's in two pieces or not.

[quote name='defiance_17']There should be a USB cord running from the smaller light. I don't remember if it's in two pieces or not.[/QUOTE]

Crap it must be two pieces. Just my luck.

[quote name='GeorgeCostanza']For those who have the Stage Kit, whats up with the USB cable? I took the thing out and it came with the big unit the small led part with the controller, juice, funnel and a extra cord that goes from the small unit to the larger one. The cable that comes off the smaller one and attached is not a usb. Is there a usb cord that plugs into that? This is going to be a pain if i have to return it.[/QUOTE]

There's only one USB cord that should be attached to the LED control unit (with the 360 controls on it). There's a separate cord hidden inside the damn styrofoam (took me freaking forever to find that thing. I thought I was going to have to return mine because of this), that connects the LED control unit to the fog machine/strobe. Then, the fog machine/stroke has a power cord that plugs into the wall. The only thing out of all that that you could actually lose is the little cable that connects the two units. Everything else is attached.

[quote name='Gothic Walrus']Until you hit the end of the song. Then, it gets interesting. I tried to look up the lyrics; Lyric Wiki just has it as "(vocal interlude)" and "(unknown shouting)." :lol:

Tribute's a must-buy once I've got the money. Rock Your Socks is okay, but definitely isn't the song I would've picked. Wonderboy seems like a better choice, but what do I know?[/QUOTE]
I'd have killed for Kielbasa Sausage or fuck Her Gently...

[quote name='kevzik']Anyone with the stage kit know how many songs you can get out of the fog juice it comes with? Seems kinda small.[/QUOTE]
:lol: seriously?

I wouldn't sweat it. I am sure it is the same stuff that the portable foggers use. Every year, after Halloween, I see gallons of that stuff on clearance for $.10 on the dollar. Just load up at Party City in November. Also, FYI becareful: That stuff can cause an asthma attack.

Pearl Jam Backspacer LE Rock Band CD is on the Target website for $29.99:

Link

The CD only package is 11.98. It looks like the only difference between the two is the RB DLC that comes with the LE as both versions have the digital concert downloads. Guess my hope of the $19.99 price point was pretty far off. Hopefully there will at least be a deal when the ad hits this week.

An $18 premium for the DLC does seem a bit steep to me. What did the Metallica LE with the GH tracks cost? I can't remember.

Oh well, who am I kidding, I'll be picking it up this Sunday regardless! :bouncy:

Anybody who picked up Tribute know if the lyrics are uncensored? There's just a couple of really brief bits at the end where it's like rich motha fuck er etc. I'll probably still pick it up regardless, but just curious. I'd love to see more of the D on RB, definitely.

[quote name='gunm']Anybody who picked up Tribute know if the lyrics are uncensored? There's just a couple of really brief bits at the end where it's like rich motha fuck er etc. I'll probably still pick it up regardless, but just curious. I'd love to see more of the D on RB, definitely.[/QUOTE]

When in doubt check youtube (I placed it in spoilers so it wont take up much space)

but yeah, it just says mother or w/e. Although in Rock Your Socks they left in the "Cleveland Steamer on your chest line" lol.

I dunno. I haven't played in a while but have started back up due to The Beatles, which I just got yesterday. I noticed Tribute was up this week, and couldn't remember if there was any censoring on lyrics. I don't usually sing in RB, but I love belting out Tenacious D songs. :)

Edit: thanks flyersfan!

[quote name='Trakan']Are there any songs that are uncensored?

Besides the occasional "goddamn" every here and there?[/QUOTE]

I don't remember the song, but I was at my cousin's a couple weeks back playing the wii version of the game and saw "bitch" show up for the vocals part.

[quote name='JStryke']I don't remember the song, but I was at my cousin's a couple weeks back playing the wii version of the game and saw "bitch" show up for the vocals part.[/QUOTE]My Iron Lung?

Sorry to come out of the blue with yet another "Guitar compatibility" question, but can anyone confirm rather or not the Guitar Hero 5 wireless controller works with RB2? I'm looking to grab a second guitar and saw this little deal. Wondering if I should jump on it for the guitar upgrade and the Metallica game.

[quote name='GLOCKGLOCK']Pearl Jam Backspacer LE Rock Band CD is on the Target website for $29.99:

Link

The CD only package is 11.98. It looks like the only difference between the two is the RB DLC that comes with the LE as both versions have the digital concert downloads. Guess my hope of the $19.99 price point was pretty far off. Hopefully there will at least be a deal when the ad hits this week.

An $18 premium for the DLC does seem a bit steep to me. What did the Metallica LE with the GH tracks cost? I can't remember.

Oh well, who am I kidding, I'll be picking it up this Sunday regardless! :bouncy:[/QUOTE]

Metallica was $30 with the DLC as well. The PJ pricing is disappointing.

[quote name='Aku']Sorry to come out of the blue with yet another "Guitar compatibility" question, but can anyone confirm rather or not the Guitar Hero 5 wireless controller works with RB2? I'm looking to grab a second guitar and saw this little deal. Wondering if I should jump on it for the guitar upgrade and the Metallica game.[/QUOTE]

Confirmed. I have used it with RB2 and Beatles Rock Band with no problems.

[quote name='Trakan']Are there any songs that are uncensored?

Besides the occasional "goddamn" every here and there?[/QUOTE]

"Bitch" shows up in a few songs (and "biotch" in Troublemaker :roll:). I think that's about as rough as the language gets.

I still can't figure out when they decide to censor "goddamn" out of songs. It's okay in Weezer and Green Day, but not in Fall Out Boy?

[quote name='Corvin']Metallica was $30 with the DLC as well. The PJ pricing is disappointing.[/QUOTE]

No kidding. The DLC's probably going to be, at most, $20...which means the bundle saves you a whopping $2. It'll be cheaper to wait a little while, and get the CD on sale and try to find points on sale or clearance for the DLC.

[quote name='Gothic Walrus']"Bitch" shows up in a few songs (and "biotch" in Troublemaker :roll:). I think that's about as rough as the language gets.

I still can't figure out when they decide to censor "goddamn" out of songs. It's okay in Weezer and Green Day, but not in Fall Out Boy?[/QUOTE]As I understand it, Harmonix just uses whatever masters the record label gives them. So a lot of the editing decisions are actually made by the record label, which is why the standards may seem to vary from song to song. Of course Harmonix can easily cut more things out if they want to, once they've got the masters to work with (I assume they did most of the RHCP stuff in-house since the majority of it never got "officially" edited for radio).

On a different note, I was wondering how Rock Band interacts with a profile on a memory unit. If I use the unit on a friend's Xbox, can I download my DLC songs to his hard drive? Obviously I would have to be signed in for them to work in the future, but what happens in the meantime? Would he have a bunch of ghosted-out songs on his track list, or would they just not appear at all when I'm not signed in?

[quote name='Corvin']Metallica was $30 with the DLC as well. The PJ pricing is disappointing.[/QUOTE]
especially since the album is only $38 minutes long

[quote name='Gothic Walrus']I still can't figure out when they decide to censor "goddamn" out of songs. It's okay in Weezer and Green Day, but not in Fall Out Boy?[/QUOTE]

NIN gets to say it in The Collector too. It probably wasn't in the Fall Out Boy song just because of how many times they say it.

[quote name='BustaUppa']
On a different note, I was wondering how Rock Band interacts with a profile on a memory unit. If I use the unit on a friend's Xbox, can I download my DLC songs to his hard drive? Obviously I would have to be signed in for them to work in the future, but what happens in the meantime? Would he have a bunch of ghosted-out songs on his track list, or would they just not appear at all when I'm not signed in?[/QUOTE]

This does work, but they will remain in his 'setlist' until he deletes them. They aren't greyed out, you just can't select them and there is no preview of the song either.

It sounds like a novel idea keeping all your friends content in one location but the game doesn't care who is signed in, the game sees the DLC on the hard drive and pulls it in. Therefore, you can be in the middle of a 10 song Mystery Set and it will try and pull one of those 'missing' tracks and if that person isn't signed in, it quits you out of the set and gives you some kind of error message.

I kept a handful of tunes my friends bought for a while, but getting burned on those mystery sets got annoying real quick.

[quote name='Corvin']This does work, but they will remain in his 'setlist' until he deletes them. They aren't greyed out, you just can't select them and there is no preview of the song either.

It sounds like a novel idea keeping all your friends content in one location but the game doesn't care who is signed in, the game sees the DLC on the hard drive and pulls it in. Therefore, you can be in the middle of a 10 song Mystery Set and it will try and pull one of those 'missing' tracks and if that person isn't signed in, it quits you out of the set and gives you some kind of error message.

I kept a handful of tunes my friends bought for a while, but getting burned on those mystery sets got annoying real quick.[/QUOTE]Actually according to a dude on the RB forums, this problem can be solved by going into the 360's memory management and deleting the song cache. Next time RB gets booted up, it will rebuild the cache and ignore the songs that aren't tied to the "native" profile.

I guess the only real problem then would be the process of actually downloading all that DLC to the second Xbox. I guess it could be done through purchase history on the dashboard? Or by making a really long queue list on the website before signing into the 2nd box?

Also I hope I wouldn't have to re-authorize everything once I go back to playing on my own Xbox, hmmm...

^^^ When I transferred from my regular 360 to an Elite, I did the license transfer and then just did the tedious que-up on the xbox.com marketplace site. Yeah, it's annoying, but it beats trying to do it through the dashboard.

Although we already knew, the Rock Band newsletter thing said Backspacer is next week's DLC. Hasn't been any word on any extra stuff besides that.

[quote name='BustaUppa']Actually according to a dude on the RB forums, this problem can be solved by going into the 360's memory management and deleting the song cache. Next time RB gets booted up, it will rebuild the cache and ignore the songs that aren't tied to the "native" profile.

I guess the only real problem then would be the process of actually downloading all that DLC to the second Xbox. I guess it could be done through purchase history on the dashboard? Or by making a really long queue list on the website before signing into the 2nd box?

Also I hope I wouldn't have to re-authorize everything once I go back to playing on my own Xbox, hmmm...[/QUOTE]

You shouldn't have to do that. You can have your purchases in more than one location, you just have to be signed in on whatever box you're using(other than the box that made the original purchase).

Good to know on the song cache but at this point (after the Pepsi promo) I have no songs on my wish list and have long eclipsed friends on DLC purchases.

ahhh well that's reassuring! I have a friend with way more DLC than I do, although there's just a moderate amount of overlap between us. Next time he's over we'll have to do a big-time DLC merger!

Well the Target ad is out and it looks like they don't even have the LE version of Backspacer mentioned. Only the $11.98 version.

Wish the LE ended up at a lower price point, but I guess it is what it is, and it is new Pearl Jam! :applause: At least the Sunday shopping trip to Target with the wife won't be as bad this week! :bouncy:

[quote name='javeryh']Backspacer is so freaking good. I can't wait for this.[/QUOTE]

Nice, glad to hear you are enjoying it, now I'm even more excited! I have purposely stayed away from attempting to listen to any songs off of the new album. I want the old school experience of buying a CD and throwing it in the car/home stereo and listening to every track that way, just like it was back in the day in college and HS.

Most people I've heard discussing it said it isn't so great. I haven't heard the whole thing yet so I'll reserve judgement until later.

I'm assuming the album will be available Sunday so you can download the DLC if you get it then, but it won't be up for sale on the actual XBL marketplace until Tuesday. Someone correct me if they know differently.

[quote name='KaneRobot']Most people I've heard discussing it said it isn't so great. I haven't heard the whole thing yet so I'll reserve judgement until later.

I'm assuming the album will be available Sunday so you can download the DLC if you get it then, but it won't be up for sale on the actual XBL marketplace until Tuesday. Someone correct me if they know differently.[/QUOTE]

Yea, I'm sure people will be mixed on the album, but that is how it always is with PJ. I remember in this thread people were ranking the albums and everyone had a different opinion.

As for availability, everyone is reporting that it will be available for download from the RB store on Sunday as well but I haven't seen official confirmation yet.

I'll check again since it's been a week - anyone actually buy (or at least try) one of those BRB guitars yet? Wondering if they are improved over the RB2 Strats other than appearance. I think my RB2 Strat may be starting to fritz out, once in a great while I'll be holding down sustained notes and it'll suddenly cut off like I let go even if I didn't.

On a related note...going through those same 45 songs is already starting to wear a little thin, I'll be glad when more DLC starts coming out for this game. I hope they go beyond December with content; I remember seeing a quote from someone at HMX about it not being likely that we'd see full albums after that, but we would probably still get more cherry-picked songs.

[quote name='KaneRobot']Most people I've heard discussing it said it isn't so great. I haven't heard the whole thing yet so I'll reserve judgement until later.

I'm assuming the album will be available Sunday so you can download the DLC if you get it then, but it won't be up for sale on the actual XBL marketplace until Tuesday. Someone correct me if they know differently.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, supposed to be Sunday for the Marketplace.

The band’s ninth and latest studio album, Backspacer, will be released in stores Sept. 20 and will be added to the Rock Band Music Store for Xbox 360 on Sept. 20, for Wii on Sept. 22 and for PlayStation 3 on Sept 24. Pearl Jam is touring in promotion of the new album from August through October in the United States and Europe.

In addition, Pearl Jam will offer a special edition CD set at Target stores nationwide that will include the Backspacer album disc and a code that enables owners of the special edition to download the entire album for Rock Band or Rock Band 2 gameplay for the Xbox 360 video game and entertainment system from Microsoft and PlayStation 3 computer entertainment system. The tracks will be imported into participating fans’ Rock Band libraries and be accessible to all game modes, including solo, band play, online multiplayer and instrument vs. instrument.

Available on Xbox 360 (Sept. 20), Wii (Sept. 22) & PlayStation 3 system (Sept. 24):

• “Gonna See My Friend”
• “Got Some”
“The Fixer”
• “Johnny Guitar’
• “Just Breathe”
• “Amongst the Waves”
• “Unthought Known”
• “Supersonic”
• “Speed of Sound”
• “Force of Nature”
• “The End”

[quote name='Malik112099']Has PJ made a good whole album since their first one? Maybe second...possibly third?[/QUOTE]

Sure....

Ten
VS.
Vitalogy
No Code
Yield
Binaural
Riot Act
Pearl Jam
Backspacer.

;)

[quote name='GLOCKGLOCK']Nice, glad to hear you are enjoying it, now I'm even more excited! I have purposely stayed away from attempting to listen to any songs off of the new album. I want the old school experience of buying a CD and throwing it in the car/home stereo and listening to every track that way, just like it was back in the day in college and HS.[/QUOTE]

I have listened to it at least 10 times now and I can't get enough. Brendan O'Brien should ALWAYS be their producer. There are no weak tracks (the entire thing is like 36 minutes). I'm a huge fan of theirs but I don't think I could honestly say that about one of their albums since Vs. (even though Binaural is my favorite). There are almost no politics on the record and it has such a positive vibe which they aren't exactly known for (even though they have tons of uplifting/inspiring songs). The three "slower songs" - Just Breathe, Speed of Sound and The End - are really moving and the rest of the album is packed with songs you can smile and sing along to. Damn I love this thing. I know it's early but I can see this album being among my top 3 favorites of theirs.

Where? I'd say the majority of people over at theskyiscrape really like it and those people hate everything new.

If you buy the CD at Target on Tuesday it comes with codes for all of the DLC - definitely go that route if you want the music in Rock Band.

[quote name='Malik112099']Has PJ made a good whole album since their first one? Maybe second...possibly third?[/QUOTE]

*sigh* Have you really listened to one of their albums since their first one? Ten is great but it still wouldn't crack the Top 5 best albums they've put out (IMO, of course).

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='KaneRobot']I'll check again since it's been a week - anyone actually buy (or at least try) one of those BRB guitars yet? Wondering if they are improved over the RB2 Strats other than appearance. I think my RB2 Strat may be starting to fritz out, once in a great while I'll be holding down sustained notes and it'll suddenly cut off like I let go even if I didn't.[/QUOTE]

My RB2 Strat takes quite a bit more pressure to activate the buttons than it does to simply press them. Particularly the green fret, but the others seem to be getting less sensitive as well. I've already opened it once to adjust the overdrive, but I'm thinking of opening it up again to mess with the frets if I can find some suggestions on how to make them better.

[quote name='javeryh']Where? I'd say the majority of people over at theskyiscrape really like it and those people hate everything new.[/QUOTE]
Shrug. I haven't been researching online opinions, I'm just referring to people I know and trust the opinion of. The little I heard was ok but probably not worth dropping 30 bucks on. I'm more likely to just buy the Rock Band DLC than the album, actually. I'd probably like it more if I did that anyway.

Coke - if you do that let me know what you find out. Mine is still ok enough that I don't feel the urge to crack it open and check it out, but I'm sure it'll be headed in that direction in a 3-4 months. If there is no easy fix for it I'll probably get one of the Beatles controllers...the Ricky & Gretsch look great. Plus, by then I would hope a deal would pop up on them somewhere. Not paying 100 bucks for a guitar controller.

[quote name='KaneRobot']I'll check again since it's been a week - anyone actually buy (or at least try) one of those BRB guitars yet? Wondering if they are improved over the RB2 Strats other than appearance. I think my RB2 Strat may be starting to fritz out, once in a great while I'll be holding down sustained notes and it'll suddenly cut off like I let go even if I didn't.
[/QUOTE]
It really is just appearance, unless you hold those guitars up against your body like how the Beatles play it won't be very comfy resting your wrist on it either.

The RB newsletter thing said Tuesday for the PJ tracks in the online store. This seems most likely to me as I don't think stuff gets put up on the marketplace on Sunday. If someone sees it up on Sunday though post it and I'll update the OP.

[quote name='mcgavin27']I might pick up Backspacer. From what I heard from certain sources, I like the album; i'm just hurting for points right now.[/QUOTE]

"From certain sources?"

So...Bittorrent?

[quote name='GLOCKGLOCK']x360a.org says Backspacer will be available on Sunday for 160 msp per song or 1440 for the entire album:

LINK[/QUOTE]

That puts the album at $18, which is exactly how much more you'd be spending for the special edition of the album.

I guess the special edition of the album is supposed to come with some other goodies (like free downloads of two full concerts), so that may not be a bad deal. Shame I don't have the money right now.

[quote name='javeryh']*sigh* Have you really listened to one of their albums since their first one? Ten is great but it still wouldn't crack the Top 5 best albums they've put out (IMO, of course).[/QUOTE]

That's probably a safe assumption for most people. I'm a casual fan of the band at best, and all I have on my iPod is Ten, and rearviewmirror.

That said, I did buy this compilation for their cover of Last Kiss. To be fair, though, it was a dollar at a garage sale. :lol:

[quote name='KaneRobot']The RB newsletter thing said Tuesday for the PJ tracks in the online store. This seems most likely to me as I don't think stuff gets put up on the marketplace on Sunday. If someone sees it up on Sunday though post it and I'll update the OP.[/QUOTE]

Don't you guys believe hmxsean?

They said Sunday to tie into the album release. I believe them. Normal media release day is Tuesday; if you're going to pus the album up two days, why not do it with the DLC as well?

[quote name='javeryh']*sigh* Have you really listened to one of their albums since their first one? Ten is great but it still wouldn't crack the Top 5 best albums they've put out (IMO, of course).[/QUOTE]

You are audioly challenged.

Did anyone venture out to Target today and find the $29.99 edition of Backspacer that's supposed to contain the DLC code? All I found was the regular edition for $11.98. Maybe the special edition is only available online, or maybe my Target just didn't get any in. It wasn't advertised in the weekly ad, and one of the employees I asked didn't know what I was talking about.

Hm. In any event, wouldn't it be better if it was priced at $19.99 or even $24.99 for release week?

Last edited by a moderator:
bread's done
Back