Rock Band series - Rock Band 4 out now

[quote name='shieryda']Goddamn live tracks again.[/QUOTE]

That's exactly what I thought! Come on Harmonix, is it that damn difficult to use the STUDIO recordings?! :bomb:

At least I'll pick up "Our Lips Are Sealed"

I'll probably end up picking up "Our Lips are Sealed", "Miss Independent", and depending on the quality of the live tracks the tom petty pack.

[quote name='grundy']That's exactly what I thought! Come on Harmonix, is it that damn difficult to use the STUDIO recordings?! :bomb:
[/QUOTE]

Do you think a baked Tom Petty knows where the master recordings are?

The Tom Petty songs might be hit or miss - his voice has gotten more nasal as he's gotten older, and the vocals might be enough to turn me away. It is "American Girls" and "Mary Jane's Last Dance," though... :whistle2:k

As for the others, it looks like Harmonix is making progress on their three track deals with Pink and the Go-Gos.

If that means we get more Kelly Clarkson, that might not actually be a bad thing. I kind of like "Since You Been Gone." :oops:

[quote name='Gothic Walrus']The Tom Petty songs might be hit or miss - his voice has gotten more nasal as he's gotten older, and the vocals might be enough to turn me away. It is "American Girls" and "Mary Jane's Last Dance," though... :whistle2:k
[/QUOTE]

There's is only one girl.

I'm definitely down for Petty. Not interested in the pop stuff.

[quote name='Corvin']There's is only one girl.

I'm definitely down for Petty. Not interested in the pop stuff.[/QUOTE]

I'll stick with the 2 Petty tracks that were released earlier this summer, "Runnin' Down a Dream" and "I Won't Back Down". At least those were original recordings, and not live versions.

Maybe Tom Petty if anything. Oh and Harmonix bought me and my friends drinks last night. They are easily my favorite company now.

Ugh. I guess they are catering to the LRB owners this week...and possibly for the forseeable future. Wish they would have got the Pantera out before they started this nonsense.

Where the hell is the Zappa and Voi Vod? Stuff that would be FUN to play :)

They don't say when the Petty live tracks are from?

[quote name='porieux']Where the hell is the Zappa and Voi Vod? Stuff that would be FUN to play :)

They don't say when the Petty live tracks are from?[/QUOTE]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Live_Anthology

They are supposed to be from the new live anthology that is set to be released. However, the actual time period when the songs were recorded varies. So it sorta answered your question yet at the same time didn't.

[quote name='Corvin']There's is only one girl.[/QUOTE]

I just turned a Tom Petty song into a Counting Crows song. Whoops.

[quote name='erectiontown']we need more Them Crooked Vultures[/QUOTE]

More Dave Grohl? :lol:

[quote name='KaneRobot']Ugh. I guess they are catering to the LRB owners this week...and possibly for the forseeable future. Wish they would have got the Pantera out before they started this nonsense.[/QUOTE]

Quit complaining. Let's review. Since Lego Rock Band came out...

Track packs:
11/3- Foo Fighters, Nirvana
11/10- White Stripes, Spongebob
11/17- AFI
11/24- Tom Petty

Singles:
Joan Jett, The Damned, Kasabian, Them Crooked Vultures, The Bangles, Kelly Clarkson, Pink, The Go-Go's

That's one track pack that's kid-friendly (one that wasn't even in the press release that week and showed up on a Wednesday or Thursday without warning) and four singles (I'm counting the last four in that list) in the past month, as opposed to five track packs and four singles that are geared toward everyone else. That's all it takes for you to begin whining that they're catering to Lego Rock Band "for the foreseeable future?" That's not even a majority, and most of the "kid-friendly" stuff was released in one week.

Harmonix caters to everybody. Some weeks, that means country. Some weeks, that means rock from the 1960s. Sometimes, it's obscure indie bands. And sometimes, it's metal. You'll get your Pantera eventually. Until then, though, just learn to be fucking patient and save your money for a week.

[quote name='Gothic Walrus']Quit complaining.[/QUOTE]
Nah. This week sucks.

That's all it takes for you to begin whining that they're catering to Lego Rock Band "for the foreseeable future?"
I said possibly - it wouldn't shock me at all to see a few weeks/months of pop-focused stuff to cater to the different audience/push their new game, depending on if it tanks or not. We know Harmonix spreads it out sometimes, you're not saying anything anyone didn't already know, they've been releasing songs for over two years now. Save your fucking breath.

I'll be glad to "save my money for a week" since that Sgt. Pepper album was a pretty big hit to my point stash.

Anybody get the Tom Petty tracks? I'm thinking about American Girl and Mary Jane's Last Dance... but since they're live, I'm a bit hesitant to DL them... just seeing if they're actually decent versions.

You should be able to preview the tracks before you download them. ;)

At least, if you download them through the game and not the marketplace.

I need more Them Crooked Vultures for Rock Band...specifically "No one loves me & neither do I" and "Bandoliers", perhaps "Mind Eraser, No Chaser". Track Pack, anyone?

Well....after seeing those Tom Petty videos....I hate to say it, but as much as I absolutely despise live tracks, I may have to get "American Girl." It's close enough to the studio track I suppose. Mary Jane on the other hand, not so much.

Guess I'll have to investigate the others

BTW, does "Our Lips Our Sealed" sound a little different to any one else, or am I just going crazier? :whee:

[quote name='n8rockerasu']Or look on Youtube. That's what I always do. For example.[/QUOTE]

I usually look on youtube too, but they weren't up before I left for work this afternoon, thanks though.

[quote name='Ronin317']the AC/DC Live tracks are actually pretty damn solid. It really depends on the specific recording being used.[/QUOTE]

That concert was heavily studio overdubbed to the point where most of it isn't really 'live', which probably helps.

And this next week's tracks are:

Available on Xbox 360 and Wii (Dec. 1) and PlayStation 3 system (Dec. 3):

Nirvana – “Come As You Are (Live from MTV Unplugged)” +
Nirvana – “Lithium (Live at Reading)”
Nirvana – “Smells Like Teen Spirit”
Night Ranger – “(You Can Still) Rock in America” +
Night Ranger – “Don’t Tell Me You Love Me” +
Night Ranger – “You’re Gonna Hear It From Me” +

(All tracks are original master recordings)

These tracks will be available for purchase as “Night Ranger Pack 01” or “Nirvana Pack 02” as well as individual tracks on Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 system, and as individual tracks on Wii. Tracks marked with a “+” are also available in the family-friendly LEGO Rock Band Music Store.

Price:
$1.99 USD, £.99 UK, €1.49 EU (160 Microsoft Points for Xbox 360) per track

$5.49, £3.99 UK, €2.49 EU (440 Microsoft Points for Xbox 360) for “Night Ranger Pack 01” or “Nirvana Pack 02”

$2.00 USD (200 Wii Points™) per track
Kinda odd that "Sister Christian" didn't make the cut for the Night Ranger pack.

[quote name='epb']And this next week's tracks are:

Kinda odd that "Sister Christian" didn't make the cut for the Night Ranger pack.[/QUOTE]
Much like "Bohemian Rhapsody" missing from the Queen Pack, I bet it makes it into Rock Band 3 or a formal title release.

The Live at Reading album is great, nice to see a track from there, even if it is Lithium. I'd much rather have Where Did You Sleep Last Night? or About A Girl from Unplugged, but Come As You Are will do.

The original press release has it at Dec. 3. They had the opportunity to put it up last week, and this week. And if it's anyone's, it's MTV's, actually.

More Nirvana already? Huh. I guess that's as close as a complete Nevermind as we're going to get, then. Don't care about Lithium really but would have been nice to have the studio Come As You Are.

Quick instrument question... I picked up Rock Band 1 a long time ago (few months after release) and was never really happy with the instruments. The gf has really gotten into RB recently and I was contemplating picking up a new set of instruments because the guitar is slowly dying and I hate the RB1 drums with a passion.

So, options are:

1. Beatles Rock Band: LE
2. Guitar Hero World Tour (apparently 5 *doesn't* have a band kit?)
3. Band Hero

Which set of instruments is better? The money really isn't a factor, I'm just looking for quality stuff. I admit that I've always liked the GH Les Paul a lot, but that Beatles stuff is pretty fucking sexy. I'm looking for two key things: durability and SILENCE. I realize drums aren't ever going to be 'silent', but I they can't be as bad as RB1. (Oh, and the games aren't really a factor, but I'd much rather have Beatles than, uh, Band Hero. Ugh.).

Any help appreciated. :)

I picked up the Beatles set on day one, and I noticed a pretty big difference in the noise from the Rock Band 1 set. Plus, you should get the Beatles set just for the fact that you are purchasing a better game with the equipment! ;)

I wonder how much of this "last 3 songs of Nevermind coming to Rock Band" business is spite on Courtney Love's part over that Guitar Hero 5 stuff.

In my opinion the Beatles LE instruments are the best set so far, quality wise.

That said, I haven't seen the Band Hero set (though I'm not aware of any real changes instrument-wise from GH:WT)...

[quote name='007']Quick instrument question... I picked up Rock Band 1 a long time ago (few months after release) and was never really happy with the instruments. The gf has really gotten into RB recently and I was contemplating picking up a new set of instruments because the guitar is slowly dying and I hate the RB1 drums with a passion.

So, options are:

3. Band Hero

Which set of instruments is better? The money really isn't a factor, I'm just looking for quality stuff. I admit that I've always liked the GH Les Paul a lot, but that Beatles stuff is pretty fucking sexy. I'm looking for two key things: durability and SILENCE. I realize drums aren't ever going to be 'silent', but I they can't be as bad as RB1. (Oh, and the games aren't really a factor, but I'd much rather have Beatles than, uh, Band Hero. Ugh.).

Any help appreciated. :)[/QUOTE]

Problem with Beatles instruments is you can't rest your wrist on them like the Strat unless you want a sharp jabbing pain. Other then that, for better or worse it looks like a high end plastic instrument, but plays like the RB2 strat with some minor differences to only those who play the shit out of their original instruments (though the strum bar is more durable from multiple uses versus RB2 Strat). The drums on them though I really had no noticable difference besides cosmetically.

GH:WT's drums are total ass. Each time I want to give them a chance it feels like I got a nagging feeling the cymbals are going to break again. I Can't speak much for Band Hero's. I Know the drums are more modeled after RB's designs now with the bass pedal bar and placement of the face buttons. Other then that, GH5's guitar versus GH:WT's are small differences, most notably the touch pad now has little indentations to know where fret you're on.

Personal preference though I much prefer RB instruments (either Beatles or RB2). I Just don't trust GH's goddamn drums at all and they don't take a beating like Harmonix's product.

well if you are looking for quality and money not being a factor, go for the ion drums. lol. I have a friend who has em and never looked back. but of course i wouldn't either if i spent nearly 300 bucks on fake drums.

[quote name='Nico0020']well if you are looking for quality and money not being a factor, go for the ion drums. lol. I have a friend who has em and never looked back. but of course i wouldn't either if i spent nearly 300 bucks on fake drums.[/QUOTE]

Just curious, but what makes you think the IONs are "fake drums". I won't argue that they're great drums, but you do realize they are an actual electronic kit, right? (minus the brain of course)

[quote name='007']Quick instrument question... I picked up Rock Band 1 a long time ago (few months after release) and was never really happy with the instruments. The gf has really gotten into RB recently and I was contemplating picking up a new set of instruments because the guitar is slowly dying and I hate the RB1 drums with a passion.

So, options are:

3. Band Hero

Any help appreciated. :)[/QUOTE]Main thing I can say about the drums is to just consider which game you have the most investment in. If you play RB and GH equally, you could go for either kit. But if you play mostly on RB, definitely get a RB drumkit. The RB charts were made with a linear 4-pad setup in mind, and it's hard to shake the sense that they "feel" wrong when playing with the raised cymbals on a GH kit. Any extra "immersion" provided by the GH cymbals is lost in a lot of RB charts since the yellow notes often switch between cymbals and other stuff.

bread's done
Back