Rock Band series - Rock Band 4 out now

See, I really like that idea - I just read the wiki about that album and it sounds like it will work because it is a concept album. More bands should get involved with the DLC process like this. I really think they could breathe some new life into the genre. Stand-alone band discs are really not good ideas (except for the Beatles which was awesome but I still rarely play it because none of my other songs are playable) but larger DLC packs with new storylines would be fun.

Next week's stuff seems to have leaked via the Wii shop:

WAR - Spill the Wine
OK Go - Shooting The Moon
The Police - Every Breath You Take
The Police - So Lonely

Nothing for me.

[quote name='Trakan']One of the very few songs I bought Lego Rock Band for shows up in the music store.

Lame.[/QUOTE]

Heh? What one of those songs was on LRB?

[quote name='tgk2044']Heh? What one of those songs was on LRB?[/QUOTE]

Was about to ask the same - there's a Police song in there but it's not either of those.

[quote name='KaneRobot']Next week's stuff seems to have leaked via the Wii shop:

WAR - Spill the Wine
OK Go - Shooting The Moon
The Police - Every Breath You Take
The Police - So Lonely

Nothing for me.[/QUOTE]

All over 'Every Breath You Take' and possibly 'So Lonely.'

[quote name='Trakan']One of the very few songs I bought Lego Rock Band for shows up in the music store.

Lame.[/QUOTE]

You've confused Every Little Thing She Does is Magic with Every Breath You Take.

[quote name='Brainwave0']You've confused Every Little Thing She Does is Magic with Every Breath You Take.[/QUOTE]

Whoops. Yep, I did.

I may be the local guinea pig guys, I see a Squier in stock at my nearby Best Buy. Could be a while before I actually use it in-game since I'll need to track down a MIDI adapter too (and I ain't paying 80 bucks on ebay for it or whatever) but I have a BB coupon I need to use fairly soon and I know I'm going to take the plunge on this at some point anyway.

[quote name='confoosious']is it me or is the intro to I Will Possess Your Heart shorter than on the album?[/QUOTE]

"I think the cut for the game is actually a mix between the album version and the radio edit, as this is 5 minutes, not 8 or 4 (respectively). I think Harmonix knew that the album version would be too repetitive, but they wanted to include the intro's feel of buildup, so they compromised and shortened the intro instead of omitting it." -youtube comment

I am super disappointed by this. I love the buildup in the original.

Well friends, I usually pride myself on sticking to self-imposed principles when buying stuff, even if it involves skipping out on buying a game I want right when it comes out. For all the Call of Duties or Street Fighters I waited on, the Rock Band franchise has always owned me, and I generally cannot resist.

So despite what I've been saying...

2q3bu3b.jpg

The "in stock" message at the BB 2 miles from my house was too much to resist.

Too tired to get into it tonight but this weekend we'll see how it goes. Wish me luck, I'll probably need some.

[quote name='KaneRobot']Well friends, I usually pride myself on sticking to self-imposed principles when buying stuff, even if it involves skipping out on buying a game I want right when it comes out. For all the Call of Duties or Street Fighters I waited on, the Rock Band franchise has always owned me, and I generally cannot resist.

So despite what I've been saying...

2q3bu3b.jpg

The "in stock" message at the BB 2 miles from my house was too much to resist.

Too tired to get into it tonight but this weekend we'll see how it goes. Wish me luck, I'll probably need some.[/QUOTE]

Your desire to rock is infecting me.

[quote name='dastly75']"I think the cut for the game is actually a mix between the album version and the radio edit, as this is 5 minutes, not 8 or 4 (respectively). I think Harmonix knew that the album version would be too repetitive, but they wanted to include the intro's feel of buildup, so they compromised and shortened the intro instead of omitting it." -youtube comment

I am super disappointed by this. I love the buildup in the original.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, me too. But I guess if you aren't a huge fan of DCFC, you're like "where the fuck is this going? I've been playing these same "chords" for 4 mins already."

Also picked up the Band of Horses tracks today. Rock Band is so fucking awesome.

Last edited by a moderator:
So for the first time I tried Harmonies tonight with some family...
it didn't seem to register the harmonies that well at all. It was as if the mics picked up others since all the mics markers were at the same level. How do you get these things to work properly? So far, not a fan of them vs just passing the mic around.

Ok, so I couldn't wait. Opened it up and hooked it up. It's so weird having a "real guitar" that you have to put batteries in.

And much to my surprise, it works. Right out of the box. Didn't adjust anything, other than tuning it. Body and neck seem to be fine (I've seen some warped neck horror photos on the RB forums).

I'm probably going to adjust it for the high E string just a little bit, but if I didn't know any better I'd be satisfied just as it is.

Cons:

*It sucks having to use the adapter to move around menus and stuff (the on-guitar buttons & pad only work on PS3 & Wii thanks to MS' proprietary controller tech)

*It makes me realize how bad I am after not playing for several years

*More wires

Those are all reasonably minor though. I'm not out of the woods yet since I've only been using it for 90 minutes, but (knock on wood), so far so good. Very pleasantly surprised.

Just a quick heads up. I am finally starting to see the Mad Catz Midi Pro Controller for the xbox360 at Best Buy stores.
I thought they'd never come out.

[quote name='sunnysky']Just a quick heads up. I am finally starting to see the Mad Catz Midi Pro Controller for the xbox360 at Best Buy stores.
I thought they'd never come out.[/QUOTE]

If you get a decent employee while you're in-store, have 'em check around. When I bought the Squier, according to their stock they didn't have any MIDI adapters listed in-stock, nor did they have them at any other stores in a 20-30 minute radius.

However, I had the employee at the store where I got the Squier look it up and she found one at a store only about 15 minutes away, I bought it while at the store I was already at, then picked it up.

[quote name='javeryh']Free? I mean no one would actually pay for that crap, right?[/QUOTE]
You know that thing is going to sell probably as well as any RBN song ever.

I'm assuming The Gregory Brothers are the reason The Bed Intruder song is coming to RBN (since it's their song). Hope they did the charting and will rake in the profits. I went to college with Michael. Really funny guy.

Billy Joel Challenge Pack, mentioned in game informer and confirmed Harmonix.

The new pack includes the following six songs, all of which will release on March 22nd for PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, and Wii.

• "I Go to Extremes"

• "Miami 2017 (Seen the Lights Go Out on Broadway)"

• "My Life"

• "Prelude/Angry Young Man" X

• "Scenes from an Italian Restaurant"

• "She's Always a Woman"

The whole pack will run you $9.99, or you can get each song individually for $2 apiece. As denoted by the "X", "Prelude/Angry Young Man" also has available pro guitar/pro bass support for an extra $0.99.

YES!!! Bed Intruder Song AND Billy Joel? Truly, we have been blessed! So glad Scenes From an Italian Restaurant is in it. I've been wanting that one since the first Joel pack was announced.

[quote name='javeryh']That's a pretty good pack. Angry Young Man must be impossible on pro keys. All 6 of those songs are going to be fun to sing but where's Root Beer Rag?[/QUOTE]

THANK YOU! I thought I was the only one that wanted to give Root Beer Rag a shot in RB.

Not sure I recognize all the songs, but I'm pretty sure I'll be getting the pack. My fiancée will be disappointed that "Running on Ice" didn't make the cut. She was hoping it might show up in one of the Billy Joel packs. Well, hopefully we'll get more in the future.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7MfOwJLlg8M

I'm alright with more Billy Joel, don't get me wrong.. but I'm about ready for some more songs from his counter part across the Atlantic.. Mr. Elton John.. HOLD ME CLOSER TINY DANCER!!!!!

[quote name='KaneRobot']For all you masochists out there, "Blue" by Eiffel 65 is up on RBN. :lol:[/QUOTE]
Bought it!

Hey, anyone got more 80 point song suggestions? I bought the ones everyone suggested last time and now can't find anything good to get.

Also, I agree. I WANT ELTON JOHN. I would gladly pay 400 MSP just for Yellow Brick Road.

So how are you guys holding the keyboard when you play? I've never played piano before and I am finding Pro Keys VERY difficult on anything other than easy. I just started though so I guess I'll get better with practice but I don't want to start developing bad habits right away. I have no awareness of where my fingers are on the keyboard either. Do you use your thumbs? I tend to not use them but I have a feeling I should. Man this is tough. I play a little guitar so I've never had a similar problem knowing where my fingers are on the neck.

[quote name='javeryh']So how are you guys holding the keyboard when you play? I've never played piano before and I am finding Pro Keys VERY difficult on anything other than easy. I just started though so I guess I'll get better with practice but I don't want to start developing bad habits right away. I have no awareness of where my fingers are on the keyboard either. Do you use your thumbs? I tend to not use them but I have a feeling I should. Man this is tough. I play a little guitar so I've never had a similar problem knowing where my fingers are on the neck.[/QUOTE]

I generally set it on a TV tray in front of me. In my lap it's just too close. You need to use your thumbs, just like a real keyboard. Also, some songs are helpful to use two hands, but for the most part they are just the right hand (and two hands are easier to lose track of than just 1).

In terms of losing track of your hands, I think a lot of that is how the game presents it. I actually play piano, and I still constantly lose track of my position, especially during shift-heavy songs. It's just very hard to tell what key the lane represents until the note gets to the very bottom of the screen (the on-screen keyboard) and by then it's usually too late. Prolly just a matter of practicing, but I wish the keys were visible on the whole lane (ie, super deep keyboard) and in single player they used the whole screen instead of shifts.

Best advice is to just keep practicing, and know you're not alone in your frustrations :D

I hold it on my lap, and it sucks. I need to change my setup to somehow get a stand or table in front of me when I use it.

Agree with the above though, it's very easy to get lost during songs. Just a matter of getting more comfortable with it, I'm sure.

I also play it flat on a tv tray type table. I play one handed and like Z stated, you have to use your thumbs. Get use to that. I am no pro by the least. The more you play the song, the more you can anticipate the notes so it allows you to peak at the keyboard to make sure hand is in the right position (at least this has worked for me). Granted pro keys, I play somewhere between medium and hard (majority of songs). The keyboard I found has the biggest learning curve of the instruments I own (i.e. everything but the pro guitar).

This thread is freaking awesome. I first started playing Rock Band 2 on 360, and then got a Wii so I bought Band Hero. Truth be told, I'd rather buy 2 new guitars and switch to Rock Band now that I'm getting a 360.

But until then, is there a similar thread for the Guitar Hero series DLC or even DJ Hero DLC ? I tried searching the forums and came up empty as "DLC" was deemed too common or short a term and excluded from results. Please tell me this info is somewhere useful.

[quote name='25MVPKing']This thread is freaking awesome. I first started playing Rock Band 2 on 360, and then got a Wii so I bought Band Hero. Truth be told, I'd rather buy 2 new guitars and switch to Rock Band now that I'm getting a 360.

But until then, is there a similar thread for the Guitar Hero series DLC or even DJ Hero DLC ? I tried searching the forums and came up empty as "DLC" was deemed too common or short a term and excluded from results. Please tell me this info is somewhere useful.[/QUOTE]

All Guitar Hero and DJ Hero DLC will be no more after this month.

[quote name='25MVPKing']This thread is freaking awesome. I first started playing Rock Band 2 on 360, and then got a Wii so I bought Band Hero. Truth be told, I'd rather buy 2 new guitars and switch to Rock Band now that I'm getting a 360.

But until then, is there a similar thread for the Guitar Hero series DLC or even DJ Hero DLC ? I tried searching the forums and came up empty as "DLC" was deemed too common or short a term and excluded from results. Please tell me this info is somewhere useful.[/QUOTE]

Most recent GH thread - hasn't seen any action in a while:

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=262445&highlight=guitar+hero

DJ Hero thread - a little more active:

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=240891&highlight=hero

[quote name='javeryh']So how are you guys holding the keyboard when you play? I've never played piano before and I am finding Pro Keys VERY difficult on anything other than easy. I just started though so I guess I'll get better with practice but I don't want to start developing bad habits right away. I have no awareness of where my fingers are on the keyboard either. Do you use your thumbs? I tend to not use them but I have a feeling I should. Man this is tough. I play a little guitar so I've never had a similar problem knowing where my fingers are on the neck.[/QUOTE]
I Bought three of those DJ Hero renegade cases from Best Buy when they were $5 and they work damn well. Plus I don't use thumbs whenever I play, and try and do it two handed, but Jesus it's tough going from sight read to slightly confused and scared again on a new song.

How the hell are some of you playing keys without using your thumb? How do you do chords? This was my general concern with RB's "pro" modes: people learning wrong. I guess it doesn't matter if you're having fun, but damn. Elton John would lose his shit.

bread's done
Back