RockBand 1 & 2 - Gen. Discussion & Info - 3/15/09 - Funk Pack + More!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I pre ordered this today at GS.
Anyone get that free shirt? What size(s) were available?

Wait, so for the goodwood mods, you aren't actually purchasing the drums? It's the the items to add your drum set?

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='JohnnyFoxDarko']I pre ordered this today at GS.
Anyone get that free shirt? What size(s) were available?[/quote]

The only ones I've seen were XL, as most gaming t-shirts are. Too bad I only fit into a large.. :cry:

even if i wasn't going to get this free, i would buy it simply on its Mighty Mighty Bosstones percentage.

Does anyone know if the drum kits will be available in stores tomorrow? Whaddya know I go get RB 2 at midnight and my sensor goes on one my drum pads :( Just my luck eh? Is my best bet GS or Best Buy do you think? Thanks.

Quick question if anyone can answer, but can I start more then one band? Whenever I go to the start a band under my profile name it says 1/24 (which counts the band I've already started).

So, anyone get the new wireless drums? How much better are they then the set from Rock band 1? I can't decide if I should get rid of my original and upgrade.

[quote name='talonthrawn']Does anyone know if the drum kits will be available in stores tomorrow? Whaddya know I go get RB 2 at midnight and my sensor goes on one my drum pads :( Just my luck eh? Is my best bet GS or Best Buy do you think? Thanks.[/QUOTE]

Man, I got all sorts of different answers to this. I called about 6 Gamestops asking if they had them. Half of them told me the drums weren't coming out till October. Two said they got their shipment in but they are all taken up by preorders (interesting because a few days ago I was told I couldn't preorder at another GS because there was no release date for the drums in their system). And the last one said they were expecting the instrument shipment in Friday but it didn't come so they should have them next week. And for good measure I called my local Gamecrazy (where they know me well) and they told me the October thing but when I clarified for him the bundle vs separate instruments thing he said that may very well be, but in any case they didn't have any. Bah... I guess I'll be calling around tomorrow and during the week if necessary. I need to get them from Gamestop with Gamecrazy as only a last-ditch backup due to the amount of credit I have there (tons at GS, very little at GC). And I certainly don't want to get them at, say, Best Buy, and pay real money. So it looks like it will take some work for me...

But yeah, I'd probably say a place like Best Buy will be easier to get them from than Gamestop from my experience calling around.

Oh, and as for the game itself, I managed to get my copy from Blockbuster late Saturday night. I didn't have much time to play but I got to play Pinball Wizard which was my #1 priority, so I'm happy. I am getting sick of guitar-only though (my GH III guitar) and I'd like some damn drums :bomb:.

[quote name='io']Man, I got all sorts of different answers to this. I called about 6 Gamestops asking if they had them. Half of them told me the drums weren't coming out till October. Two said they got their shipment in but they are all taken up by preorders (interesting because a few days ago I was told I couldn't preorder at another GS because there was no release date for the drums in their system). And the last one said they were expecting the instrument shipment in Friday but it didn't come so they should have them next week. And for good measure I called my local Gamecrazy (where they know me well) and they told me the October thing but when I clarified for him the bundle vs separate instruments thing he said that may very well be, but in any case they didn't have any. Bah... I guess I'll be calling around tomorrow and during the week if necessary. I need to get them from Gamestop with Gamecrazy as only a last-ditch backup due to the amount of credit I have there (tons at GS, very little at GC). And I certainly don't want to get them at, say, Best Buy, and pay real money. So it looks like it will take some work for me...

But yeah, I'd probably say a place like Best Buy will be easier to get them from than Gamestop from my experience calling around.

Oh, and as for the game itself, I managed to get my copy from Blockbuster late Saturday night. I didn't have much time to play but I got to play Pinball Wizard which was my #1 priority, so I'm happy. I am getting sick of guitar-only though (my GH III guitar) and I'd like some damn drums :bomb:.[/QUOTE]
you can wish list the drums at gamecrazy and they will give you a call, the computer says the drums came out on 9/10 so they can't do a preordered they have to do a wishlist which is free. That way you only have to look at gamestop (not sure if gamestop does the same thing)

I checked at Best Buy and system shows we got 10 drum kits. One guy told me available Sunday with the game, so don't expect huge amounts at all locations. I want to get them but I've read mixed reviews.

I've never ever experienced a game release with more rampant misinformation and general idiocy on the part of retail employees. In trying to find out where I could possibly get this game the earliest I've hit nothing but brick walls.

Apparently, according to the wizards who work night crew at WalMart, this game will not be available today. I find it very hard to believe that the nation's largest retailer wouldn't stock a highly anticipated game on it's date of release.

[quote name='io']Man, I got all sorts of different answers to this. I called about 6 Gamestops asking if they had them. Half of them told me the drums weren't coming out till October. Two said they got their shipment in but they are all taken up by preorders (interesting because a few days ago I was told I couldn't preorder at another GS because there was no release date for the drums in their system).[/quote]
I got the exact same thing.

I'm almost most excited for the no fail mode. I feel bad for people who play with me and aren't exactly good at the game and may not be able to get past a specific part. I'm hoping that may help me be better at drums along with the drum trainer.

[quote name='CouRageouS']Apparently Circuit City has the Rock Band 2 bundle at a MSRP of $10k.[/quote]

Wow, we're getting quite a deal then. ;)

I was surprised at the lack of people on my friends list playing it last night.

Early impressions

Pros:
- New animations: very nice. I love the interactions between the characters on stage
- HO/PO buttons are much more distinct this go round.
- Tour Challenges / Battle of the Bands
- World Tour in single player mode is more like RB's Band World Tour
- Being able to 'fill' out your band with your own characters. Haven't done it yet, but am looking forward to it.
- HO/PO chords changes things up a bit
- Bass tour. I'm looking forward to giving it a go.

Cons
- Trivia cards are gone and in their place are generic loading screens. I loved the trivia cards. :(
- Character creator: I thought this was supposed to be more robust? We have the same hometowns & the same genre animations. There are a few more face styles and hair styles. Weak. Why can't they have added a couple dozen more hometowns, or allow you to type in your own?
- No easy way to just scroll through the tracklist and see your stars.
- so far out of a dozen songs I've played, they are all very repetitive and boring as shit give-or-take one or two(Offspring and Greenbaum were fun)

So far, not impressed. Sure the pros outweigh the cons, but if the songs don't bring it, then it's a big disappointment in my book. I guess I should note, this is on the Guitar career. Haven't attempted anything else yet.

Quick question: has the multiplier circle always been more of an oval or is that new? It seems squished to me and it's bugging the crap out of me for some reason. Almost like they grabbed the fretboard and everything below and and just squashed it a little to make room for a slightly larger animation area at the top.

A few really quick thoughts after a few hours:

- The initial songs are about 10000x better than the initial songs in RB1.

- The menu/sorting system when selecting songs for quickplay is much better.

- It takes too many button presses to go from in the middle of World Tour to the main menu.

- I should be able to edit my characters right from the WT menu, not have to go all the way back to the player select screen.

- Battle of the Bands challenges = fucking win.

- I got the flawless singing achievement with Sabotage. More win.

- I fuckING NEED MICROSOFT POINTS GIVE ME POINTS NOW PLEASE.

Um, and Corvin, they have trivia cards.

Thanks for all the drum kit replies, we are heading to Best Buy when it opens at eleven. Website says 79.99 so I'll use the 10 of 75 coupon to make the damage not quite so bad. When I get back I'll post my drum kit finding results here :)

[quote name='Corvin']
Cons
- Character creator: I thought this was supposed to be more robust? We have the same hometowns & the same genre animations. There are a few more face styles and hair styles. Weak. Why can't they have added a couple dozen more hometowns, or allow you to type in your own?
[/quote]
I've always wondered why they haven't released DLC packs for more character customization. I know they're constantly working on music but you'd think it would be a different department that could toss up some more character options. Good point about the Hometowns.

[quote name='Corvin']
Quick question: has the multiplier circle always been more of an oval or is that new? It seems squished to me and it's bugging the crap out of me for some reason.[/QUOTE]
I noticed that in the videos of RB2, so I'm guessing it did turn more oval-ish or it looked like the circle was leaning back if that makes sense.

I think they do what they do with the hometowns because your character starts his career in his hometown, to make it a more 'realistic' type rise-to-stardom experience. That would be lost if you could type in your own.

I never knew that RB would be out this early. Then I went to put this game in my queue at GameFly and now it's at low availability...wonderful.

Man this is bs. I have a total of $106.50 between my edge card and GC (from the Madden09 trade-in deal). Apparently when they rang it up, my GC (with 63.50, which is $59.99+tax) was already cleared.

How the fuck did this happen? My card's been with me the entire time, and apparently since it was Sunday, they couldn't do shit about it. I'm pretty steamed right now. Anyone have GC balances mysteriously clear for no reason? My prime suspect is the d-bag who ran up my trade-ins...

Yeah so other than that, I'm not playing RB2 today. This is bullshit.

[quote name='mav451']Man this is bs. I have a total of $106.50 between my edge card and GC (from the Madden09 trade-in deal). Apparently when they rang it up, my GC (with 63.50, which is $59.99+tax) was already cleared.

How the fuck did this happen? My card's been with me the entire time, and apparently since it was Sunday, they couldn't do shit about it. I'm pretty steamed right now. Anyone have GC balances mysteriously clear for no reason? My prime suspect is the d-bag who ran up my trade-ins...

Yeah so other than that, I'm not playing RB2 today. This is bullshit.[/quote]

Ask to speak to the manager, and if he's not willing to help, ask for the DM's phone number. There have been issues with other CAG's having their store credit stolen by employees, and it usually ends well after transactions are investigated.

If you still get nowhere at store-level, check http://www.gamestop.com/gs/help/StoreIssue.aspx

[quote name='mav451']Man this is bs. I have a total of $106.50 between my edge card and GC (from the Madden09 trade-in deal). Apparently when they rang it up, my GC (with 63.50, which is $59.99+tax) was already cleared.

Yeah so other than that, I'm not playing RB2 today. This is bullshit.[/QUOTE]

If the store manager won't help you, contact their district manager. They should be able to trace when the card was used. You're not the only person this has happened to, and others have been able to get this problem solved.

EDIT: sp00ge is faster than I am.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ah thanks guys. I plan on coming in during my 1hr lunch break Monday, so hopefully this is all resolved by then.

So Gamestops did get this in today? Good. I'm gonna go pick it up a little later today, after I get some grading work done. (Then finish more grading work before actually playing :cry:)

[quote name='CouRageouS']I've always wondered why they haven't released DLC packs for more character customization. I know they're constantly working on music but you'd think it would be a different department that could toss up some more character options. Good point about the Hometowns.[/quote]

To be fair, character creation is an entirely new concept that has never been implemented in a game before, and certainly not done much better and with many more options in Guitar Hero: World Tour

/sarcasm

Yeah, Harmonix really dropped the ball with it, along with the way score/stars are handled.

I kinda got boned at BBV last night. They had 3 preorders, and only received 2 copies. SAince I was the third to preorder, I didn't get mine. But they did give me a free rental copy to hold onto until my copy comes in. In addition, I was promised a $10 Gift Card for the trouble.

I put in a few hours last night and I freaking LOVE it. Although I cannot figure out why Eye of the Tiger is a tier 1 song. I almost blew out my voice on the second song I sang.

And it seems that they may have made the singing difficulties a bit more lenient, as the first three songs I sang I scored 100% on medium. (Eye of the Tiger, My Own Worst Enemy and Today) and a slew of 98-99% on others.

I understand why they don't show you stars. The menu in quickplay or song selection would be far too big and/ or cluttered if they did.

I got the game, but the RB2 guitar was no where to be found. The only store that believed it actually came out was Gamestop, but that location had only received the drums (and had sold them). I am really sick of the Les Paul.

[quote name='seanr1221']I'm so weak! I went out and bought it. I'll ride out my current instruments until they crap out.[/quote]
:rofl:
I knew it!

Picked up my preorder from GS.
I don't think there are any drum kits available anywhere near me.
I asked a buddy of mine who works at Best Buy, and he said they don't have them either.
:|

[quote name='sp00ge']And it seems that they may have made the singing difficulties a bit more lenient, as the first three songs I sang I scored 100% on medium. (Eye of the Tiger, My Own Worst Enemy and Today) and a slew of 98-99% on others.[/quote]

They did make some changes to the vox that are supposed to make actual singing more acceptable, instead of just sounding like a keyboard. The talkies are also hilariously easy now, too.

[quote name='evanft']They did make some changes to the vox that are supposed to make actual singing more acceptable, instead of just sounding like a keyboard. The talkies are also hilariously easy now, too.[/quote]

That must be it then. It seems to accept singing more fluidly now, not jumpy like in the first RB.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back