Rockstar Pass includes ALL LA Noire DLC - only 800 MS points for limited time

jsvalmont

CAGiversary!
The "Rockstar Pass" was released today on Xbox Live Marketplace and includes all the pre-order DLC exclusives like the cases "A Slip of the Tongue" (Walmart) and "The Naked City," (Gamestop) the suits "The Broderick" (Amazon) and "The Sharpshooter" (Best Buy) as well as the "Badge Pursuit Challenge" (Gamestop) from which you can unlock "The Button Man" suit. Also when the upcoming cases ("Nicholson Electroplating Disaster" and "Reefer Madness") come out they will be free to download for Rockstar Pass owners. It's 800 MS points ($10) until June 14 when it will increase to 960 points ($12). Cases (320 points or $4) and suits (80 points or $1) are also available to purchase separately. The PSN will have the same deal when it comes back online.

The "Chicago Piano Gun" is also available to download for FREE for everyone without having to buy the pass.

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/117/1171540p1.html

Does anyone else really feel kind of bad for people who bought those pre-order DLC cases for like $35 each and the suits for around $15 each? Anyone going to buy this? I know I am.

Last edited by a moderator:
question.... If I am already passed the traffic case section and I choose to play the "slip of a tongue" case from the case select menu or whatever will it count towards my story mode progress? Or is there a way to go back to it in my "story mode" game?

[quote name='Jaysonguy']Nope, games never go up in price and anyone interested in money would never buy a subscription from the dash since you can get subs for 30 bucks since the price increase.

Your points only gain purchasing power because all the content is eventually going to go on sale[/QUOTE]

Yes, but it used to be that most downloadable titles were 800, and then they became 1200. An individual game will not go up in price, but games as a whole can (other than games that were already released), and that is a loss in purchasing power, albeit only if you need the game right away. I agree that you do not lose purchasing power if you wait for the deal. You do, however, if you purchase the downloadable title immediately at 1200 points because it used to be 800 points for a similar game. Also, I bought a year subscription before the price increase from the dash for $30 and a halo reach avatar item. There are good deals on the dash sometimes.

[quote name='cancerman1120']Hmmm...I can maybe understand why LA Noire is not your thing but RDR was a masterpiece of a game. Even if you never picked up the multiplayer, the single player experience has a bit of everything in it. Maybe you are just trying to stir the pot but for someone who thought RDR was overrated you did not waste anytime paying full retail for this game. Sounds to me you just have an axe to grind with R*.[/QUOTE]

I found the GTA games interesting and fun. RDR and LA Noire, not so much, for legitimate reasons too numerous to sidetrack this thread with. I understand everyone has their own tastes and I am really not trying to stir anything, but I genuinely believe R* has the same hold on people as Apple does. For fans of this game, this deal is a great bargain.

(Also, I did not pay full price and in fact intend to make a profit on LA Noire. That is the only reason I even bought it. $30 from GoHastings. $33.75 trade in to Amazon.) :D

So I'm going through all the street crime, and I can't seem to use the piano gun. How do I get it out of the trunk. I go up to it and press Y, to no avail.

[quote name='CaseX']I found the GTA games interesting and fun. RDR and LA Noire, not so much, for legitimate reasons too numerous to sidetrack this thread with. I understand everyone has their own tastes and I am really not trying to stir anything, but I genuinely believe R* has the same hold on people as Apple does. For fans of this game, this deal is a great bargain.

(Also, I did not pay full price and in fact intend to make a profit on LA Noire. That is the only reason I even bought it. $30 from GoHastings. $33.75 trade in to Amazon.) :D[/QUOTE]

Well, RDR was my first rockstar game, and I loved it (and I never touched the multiplayer). Top 5 game definitely on the 360 but perhaps of this generation. Then I went back and got GTA IV, and I thought it was phenomenal as well but had many, many annoying elements (too many to list) and a much worse story. Apple makes overpriced crap that really does not do very much (don't even get me started on the iPad). Rockstar deserves their hold on people by making great products. I feel like Rockstar's hold is more due to a matter of opinion whereas Apple's hold is due to a false sense of social status.

[quote name='Sonne']So I'm going through all the street crime, and I can't seem to use the piano gun. How do I get it out of the trunk. I go up to it and press Y, to no avail.[/QUOTE]

Did you try the "A" button?

You know, I sold just the Sharpshooter for 20 bucks. I pity the fool, but I love his money. Was a non CAG ebayer, and if it makes me any less an asshole, the dude was a complete dickhat.

Buys it hours before the XBL market was down, and sends tons of rude and threatening messages to me. I just ignored it and linked him to the status page. Then I proceeded to spend his $20.

Yea, its wrong.

ROFL... This should at least put an end to all those people (ass-hats?) on eBay selling those damn electroplating arson case DLCs for $15 a pop. How ridiculous to have to pay a quarter of the games cost for 1 additional case?

Now its $10 (or cheaper ;)) for all of 'em! AWESOME-O!!!!! :D :D

I dont even own the game yet, but Im gonna buy this on Firday when I get paid. Cant beat $10, AND discounts on all future LA Noire DLC...c'mon, you would have to be either dumb or rich (or butt-hurt from paying stupid eBay prices) to not bite on this before the 14th if you own/like the game! ;)

[quote name='Jabrim']Did you try the "A" button?[/QUOTE]

Yeah, i meant A. It finally worked though, I guess it's on certain crimes only? It was satisfying when I finally used it though.

Anyone care to confirm that the DLC is available to all accounts on your console when you buy the R* Pass? R* said earlier today that the R* Pass was only available to the individual XBL account that purchased it. I asked for clarification, but they never gave it.

I was going to get this game for the PS3 (was developed there first so my personal take is thats the one to get) but this over heating thing is freaking me out.

I will wait and problably just eat the extra $2 for the pass later (if I have to since there may be a chance that if I wait long enough a greatest hits version might have DLC on the disc) since I am working through my backlog and am blazing through MGS4 right now. (great game btw) Will problably go Castlevania next and then hit Infamous and the Resistance series before swtiching back to my 360 and taking out 4-5 games there.

[quote name='IronsideGrunt']I was going to get this game for the PS3 (was developed there first so my personal take is thats the one to get) but this over heating thing is freaking me out.

I will wait and problably just eat the extra $2 for the pass later (if I have to since there may be a chance that if I wait long enough a greatest hits version might have DLC on the disc) since I am working through my backlog and am blazing through MGS4 right now. (great game btw) Will problably go Castlevania next and then hit Infamous and the Resistance series before swtiching back to my 360 and taking out 4-5 games there.[/QUOTE]

Im sure there is going to be a GOTY and including a Rockstar Pass code sounds likely. I guess it would be a nice GOTY. Im still unsure how much more DLC is coming or if this is it.

[quote name='cancerman1120']The more I think about this pass I sort of do not understand the thought process. If this is ALL the DLC they are going to have for the game then why not just price them at $2/case? I mean they say that the cases are worth $4/piece but if you act now they will take $10 for all of them. It is basically a way to get us to spend $2 on some suits and stuff. I am not complaining about the deal but rather the execution. If they really would only take $10 for all this stuff now then why not in 4 months? A smart used game buyer would still just buy this deal and wait for the game to get cheap to take advantage. I am just wondering if this is the future of DLC or if this is a one time thing.[/QUOTE]

Given the nature and structure of the story, I believe rockstar has concluded that DLC is not going to be a huge sideline business on this game...it will be an acquired taste....like rhubarb pie....and rather than trying to only sell a piece of rhubarb pie at $2 a slice, they are also offer the whole pie for $10/$15 because, you know, how many people are going to buy 5 slices of rhubarb pie? Personally, I thought the game was enough for me and new cases don't hold any interest for me and I've already traded my copy.

Also by stretching out the DLC over time, rockstar is hoping a very attractive price now will help slow down trade ins during the first three months of the game's release as people wait for the DLC and don't trade in the game...So they sell more new copies (due to fewer trade ins) and make some extra money selling the pass (which is mostly made up of stuff they've already given away free to select folks as pre order bonuses, so it isn't like they've spend all this additional money making the DLC)...all in all, it is a pretty smart move on their part if it helps slow down trade ins.

[quote name='Xellos2099']Let see if i get this right, if i use 800 point on rockstar pass, I will get ALL the dlc, include the future one for free?[/QUOTE]

yes

[quote name='jsvalmont']The 360 version is hardly inferior. If you look at the comparisons they are actually identical. The only difference is the 360 version has 3 discs. [/QUOTE]
Actually, if you look at the comparisons you can clearly see that they aren't identical.

The differences are minor, but they certainly aren't identical.

[quote name='Ryan0991']Actually, if you look at the comparisons you can clearly see that they aren't identical.

The differences are minor, but they certainly aren't identical.[/QUOTE]

The differences might be a bit more than minor. I own the 360 version, and during some of the shootouts on the side missions the frame rate dropped to single digits. It also did the same thing when I was just wrecking a bunch of cars on the street.

The shadows also look much more pixelated on the 360.

It's rare, but the PS3 version of this game is superior in almost every way.

[quote name='nypickle']yes[/QUOTE]
wonder if the 360 version will ever get the Consul's Car Traffic Case?

and if the 360 ever does, I wonder if it will be free for those with the Rockstar Pass.

This is very interesting.. kind of makes the whole idea of DLC and preorder exclusives worthless though.

I don't know if I want this just yet.. I'm not sold. The thing that would really sell me is if they included free DLC with it for other R* games like GTA4 and RDR.

[quote name='Xellos2099']Let see if i get this right, if i use 800 point on rockstar pass, I will get ALL the dlc, include the future one for free?[/QUOTE]

lol free is a strong word.. remember you're paying about 10$ worth in MS points for it all. I would consider this a pretty good deal since buying that stuff separately would probably cost a lot more.

I wish they would put out a "suit" that is just the patrol uniform. Having had some police background myself I just want to free roam around in the uniform and not a suit. Not a big deal but I think it would be pretty cool.

[quote name='AEJustin1']I wish they would put out a "suit" that is just the patrol uniform. Having had some police background myself I just want to free roam around in the uniform and not a suit. Not a big deal but I think it would be pretty cool.[/QUOTE]

I think the only time you can get away with it is when you are doing the first cases from the initial desk.

[quote name='Guilty']You know, I sold just the Sharpshooter for 20 bucks. I pity the fool, but I love his money. Was a non CAG ebayer, and if it makes me any less an asshole, the dude was a complete dickhat.

Buys it hours before the XBL market was down, and sends tons of rude and threatening messages to me. I just ignored it and linked him to the status page. Then I proceeded to spend his $20.

Yea, its wrong.[/QUOTE]

I had a similar experience with a guy who paid $20 for my 'Naked City' dlc code last week.

The auction ended while I was on my way home from a trip; he sent me an email every hour for the 5 hours it took me to get home and email the code, and they got increasingly more insulting and threatening, saying that he was going to ask PayPal for a refund, saying that I ruined his day off, etc.

Maybe there's some connection between people willing to pay $20 for $4 worth of DLC and acting immaturely?

[quote name='parkerlewis']I had a similar experience with a guy who paid $20 for my 'Naked City' dlc code last week.

The auction ended while I was on my way home from a trip; he sent me an email every hour for the 5 hours it took me to get home and email the code, and they got increasingly more insulting and threatening, saying that he was going to ask PayPal for a refund, saying that I ruined his day off, etc.

Maybe there's some connection between people willing to pay $20 for $4 worth of DLC and acting immaturely?[/QUOTE]

Yea I think it the same impulsive behavior behind both acts. Any simp can get on gamefaqs, dtoid, fuck sakes.... google, and find out that this stuff was going to be selling for practically nothing.

"All dollars and no sense"

Had a friend like this as a kid. Having things before anyone else could get it (somehow managed to get his hands on a Gameboy almost 4 mo before they were available here... his dad raised and sold Buffalo commercially, and I guess had connects) and even though no one could care less, he walked around with this smug sort of superiority. Hey, I was playing Mario Land before 99% of America so that was cool.

[quote name='Guilty']Yea I think it the same impulsive behavior behind both acts. Any simp can get on gamefaqs, dtoid, fuck sakes.... google, and find out that this stuff was going to be selling for practically nothing.

"All dollars and no sense"

Had a friend like this as a kid. Having things before anyone else could get it (somehow managed to get his hands on a Gameboy almost 4 mo before they were available here... his dad raised and sold Buffalo commercially, and I guess had connects) and even though no one could care less, he walked around with this smug sort of superiority. Hey, I was playing Mario Land before 99% of America so that was cool.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, sounds about right. I was actually a little upset over the whole thing so I'm glad to hear that I wasn't the only one who had that experience.

It also felt really good to take his $20 and buy the Rockstar Pass for $10 yesterday and enjoy the $10 left over. :cool:

Sorry to quote myself, but the question still stands.

[quote name='eugaet']Anyone care to confirm that the DLC is available to all accounts on your console when you buy the R* Pass? R* said earlier today that the R* Pass was only available to the individual XBL account that purchased it. I asked for clarification, but they never gave it.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Heavyd814life']Probably the inferior 360 version lol.[/QUOTE]
the rarity of comments like this is something i appreciate around here.

[quote name='eugaet']Sorry to quote myself, but the question still stands.[/QUOTE]

Why don't you get the pass on your account and try it yourself?

[quote name='Jabrim']Why don't you get the pass on your account and try it yourself?[/QUOTE]Well, seeing that it's obviously a pre-sale question (I'd like to know the answer before purchasing), that'd defeat the purpose of my asking the question in the first place. I thought maybe a nice CAG who already purchased it would let me know, since R* won't answer the question themselves.

[quote name='eugaet']Well, seeing that it's obviously a pre-sale question (I'd like to know the answer before purchasing), that'd defeat the purpose of my asking the question in the first place. I thought maybe a nice CAG who already purchased it would let me know, since R* won't answer the question themselves.[/QUOTE]

I just tried it using my wife's gamertag and it works fine. She does not even have Live and the dlc that I have downloaded under my gamertag is available when I log in under her's.

That's a lot of DLC for $10, I'll probably get it on the PSN.
I need to say that this game is definitely freezing my launch PS3. It's happened 4 times now and I'm getting rather annoyed. Hasn't occurred when playing other games or watching Netflix. Meh, I'm just very careful not to let my PS3 overheat at this point.

[quote name='Jabrim']I just tried it using my wife's gamertag and it works fine. She does not even have Live and the dlc that I have downloaded under my gamertag is available when I log in under her's.[/QUOTE]Thanks, I appreciate it! I was assuming as much and was ready to buy yesterday when R* stated it would only be available to the individual XBL account that purchased it. Now I know they misspoke. Off to buy the R* Pass now.

Still sore that we'll (apparently) never see the Fraud and Burglary desks and that there won't be anything after Reefer Madness. It's like they kicked it out the door and don't want to have much to do with it afterwards.

[quote name='Jabrim']Why don't you get the pass on your account and try it yourself?[/QUOTE]

Because these things are non-refundable, and if he has multiple users who use his console, he might find it a better option to get the individual DLC packs which should work on any account on the console like regular DLC than to get the pass and find that it didn't.

I don't have an answer to the original question, but from my experience, on 360 at least, all DLC plays by the same rules and should work for all accounts on the primary console, and should work for the original owner when signed into Live on any other console.

For what it's worth, the individual DLC pieces also show up as expected in your download history and can be re-downloaded from there. Using the pass and going through the in-game menu just seems to make the price 0 MSP, but still gets it from the same Marketplace.

[quote name='parkerlewis']I had a similar experience with a guy who paid $20 for my 'Naked City' dlc code last week.

Maybe there's some connection between people willing to pay $20 for $4 worth of DLC and acting immaturely?[/QUOTE]

Make sure your eBay auctions now list will mail code within 24hrs of receiving payment. Then you have a day with no worries.

[quote name='hoofrog']What? No L.A. Noire Nightmare? Where is my zombie Phelps? I want to dine on the corpses instead of investigating. Get on the ball Rockstar.[/QUOTE]

That would be insane, especially in black and white mode. I can only keep my fingers crossed for them to make that game.

i bought it, great deal, u have to wait for 2 of the cases 1 in june 1 in july but u get them free and everything was easy to install

[quote name='IronsideGrunt']I was going to get this game for the PS3 (was developed there first so my personal take is thats the one to get) but this over heating thing is freaking me out.

I will wait and problably just eat the extra $2 for the pass later (if I have to since there may be a chance that if I wait long enough a greatest hits version might have DLC on the disc) since I am working through my backlog and am blazing through MGS4 right now. (great game btw) Will problably go Castlevania next and then hit Infamous and the Resistance series before swtiching back to my 360 and taking out 4-5 games there.[/QUOTE]

I have a 60GB PS3, played it almost 20 hours over the course of launch week, and no issues at all.

I for one am disappointed this is all the DLC we get for this game. With the fraud and burglary desks being cut from the game to get it down to 3 DVD/1 BR I think a Undead Nightmare sized expansion sold separately would have been perfect.

Oh well now I'll just play the DLC through July then trade the game in to put towards Batman, Uncharted 3, Battlefield 3, or MW 3 in the fall.

[quote name='GME92']That would be insane, especially in black and white mode. I can only keep my fingers crossed for them to make that game.[/QUOTE]

Since it's the 40s and we're in Hollywood I'd rather see an alien invasion with flying saucers, woflmen, Dracula, etc. and lots of great radio stuff instead of zombies.

[quote name='MSUHitman']I for one am disappointed this is all the DLC we get for this game. With the fraud and burglary desks being cut from the game to get it down to 3 DVD/1 BR I think a Undead Nightmare sized expansion sold separately would have been perfect.

Oh well now I'll just play the DLC through July then trade the game in to put towards Batman, Uncharted 3, Battlefield 3, or MW 3 in the fall.[/QUOTE]

Did they say that they will stop releasing DLC after July, or that the pass will get you all DLC up through July? If it's up through July, they could be releasing more DLC after, it just won't be a part of this Rockstar Pass.

[quote name='MSUHitman']I have a 60GB PS3, played it almost 20 hours over the course of launch week, and no issues at all.[/QUOTE]

This. I have an old 80gb fat with software backwards compatibility. I easily ran about 20 hours the first week and I've only got Golden Film Reels left to get 100% and platinum. No errors, issues, overheating, etc.

I think the pass is probably a good idea - but I have tons of DLC I have never played because of backlog. Really annoys me that they have all the extra game bits instead of putting it in the game in the first place - but hey-ho, nobody forces you to buy it I suppose......

[quote name='Jabrim']I think the only time you can get away with it is when you are doing the first cases from the initial desk.[/QUOTE]
yea that's what I was thinking but I wish they would put it in to let us use the uniform lol.

[quote name='DietPoopSoda']Did they say that they will stop releasing DLC after July, or that the pass will get you all DLC up through July? If it's up through July, they could be releasing more DLC after, it just won't be a part of this Rockstar Pass.[/QUOTE]Direct from R*:
As previously stated, the content we announced today is all of the DLC that is planned for L.A. Noire
Every response has always had the word 'planned', so that's the only thing giving me any hope. I'm praying for some unplanned DLC in the future.

bread's done
Back