Developer: Compile Heart/Idea Factory
Release: May 26, 2009
Trophies: Yes

Pre-order at:

Amazon - $46.99 + free shipping
GameStop - $49.99 + free shipping with coupon code: SAVER
NewEgg - $46.99 + free shipping
Rosenqueen - $49.99

Please note that Cross Edge will not be sent out from our warehouse until 5/28/09. We apologize for any inconveniences.

Item Includes:
Cross Edge (For this preorder we will be only carrying 1,000 units)

Cross Edge - RQ Exclusive Postcard (6) (These postcard images are from the photo gallery in the game, except for one. You will not be able to see this one image anywhere else.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Got my copy from RosenQueen. The postcards aren't what I was expecting them to be, but they're alright. Better than nothing anyway. The game is awesome though. I've been on it for about 4 hours now I guess. It is hard, but in my opinion, you need a game that will kick you in the dick every once in a while. It reminds me of my 8-bit roots. I especially love the music and the battle system. As others have said, it's very addicting and fun once you get the hang of it. The learning curve really is nowhere near as bad as IGN's sissy-ass made it out to be. I think if you truly love oldschool, hardcore rpg's, and go into this game knowing that's what it is, you should be satisfied. I am. I would have happily paid $60 for it actually. This is a gem.

[quote name='shivaedge']A question who those who use RosenQueen.

The bonus points are acquired after each order, right? How long does it usually take to get these bonus points in your account?[/QUOTE]

I got mines after they shipped the game for me.

Also here is another review of the game from someone who actually knows what they are talking about.
http://diehardgamefan.com/2009/05/27/review-cross-edge-ps3/

[quote name='jacknicklson']Buy this, wait for someone to post it or wait on gamefaqs

http://djbooks.easystorecreator.com...-edge-the-official-strategy-eguide-detail.htm[/QUOTE]

I don't know how someone can post it unless they just do it word for word or print it and scan the pages.

When you buy it you get access to a forum on the Double Jump Books website that has the guide in Flash in the first post. You can only view it or print the pages, cannot save it to PC. Other posts in the forum thread are for questions and announcements of updates. They've done 2 or 3 updates so far.

[quote name='djduke316']A paperback copy should be available for sale in a week or so.[/QUOTE]

Source? It's not on the Gamestop website and it's not mentioned or the Double Jump website.

[quote name='MSUHitman']Yeah there's a lot of grinding even on Normal. First monsters give you very little gold and the only way to heal your party during fights on the map is healing items at the beginning, which cost 200 gold each to purchase. In the dungeons, you don't auto-heal after battles so you'll need a full supply of herbs to get through those.[/QUOTE]

Yeah there is alot of grinding. I am currently playing it on hard. However, you probably just didn't use Aurica, since she starts with an awesome healing spell when she joins you in the beginning of the game. I have never used a healing item in dungeons since Aurica's healing move heals my whole team completely. Just use it before you deal the final blow to the enemies in the dungeons. Also, you dont need to be level 9 for the first dungeon. I finished the SECOND dungeon at around level 9. The battles are all about finding good combos.

Ugh, I'm still on the edge with purchasing this game. I like what I'm hearing about it... a HARD RPG with a battle system that takes awhile to figure out. I actually enjoy games more when they don't hold your hand, so to speak.

And now that someone pointed out that the same guy from IGN that reviewed Cross Edge also gave Disgaea 3 a bad review... yeah, I love Disgaea 3. So I would probably like this game too.

[quote name='MSUHitman']Source? It's not on the Gamestop website and it's not mentioned or the Double Jump website.[/QUOTE]

Under the Cross Edge subforum of the DJ forums, there's this thread and djpubba talks about the printed guide on the third page. According to him, they're doing a print on demand for the guide after they finish the eguide, which apparently isn't done yet either.

Depending on how big the Cross Edge guide is though, it could be pretty pricey. I remember him talking about the Nocturne guide, and that to reprint a 400 page beast like that for print-on-demand would cost about $160 a piece, so expect something along the lines of $35-40 for it if it's the size of a regular guide.

Edit: I should also mention that it's not going to be on any retailer shelves obviously, as the only venue will be the print-on-demand orders via DJ. They seem to really be loving this eGuide idea and are only printing guides for the big stuff (read: Persona)

123Thanks Nirron, hadn't actually read the forum, just looked at the guide after I bought it. Yeah it's not done, it's probably about 2/3 done, but it has most if not all of the complete walkthrough, just the extra stuff like bestiary, weaapons guide, etc. not done.

Their last print-to-order guide apparently is Disgaea 1 (before the PSP/DS versions which have a guide for $15) and it's $40 so that's probably the price point. EGuide for $10 much easier to swallow.

Someone123 thank you very much for letting me know about Aurica. That will make things a lot easier.

[quote name='InFlames215']Ugh, I'm still on the edge with purchasing this game. I like what I'm hearing about it... a HARD RPG with a battle system that takes awhile to figure out. I actually enjoy games more when they don't hold your hand, so to speak.

And now that someone pointed out that the same guy from IGN that reviewed Cross Edge also gave Disgaea 3 a bad review... yeah, I love Disgaea 3. So I would probably like this game too.[/QUOTE]

If you like Disgaea you'll like this game. I have never played Disgaea or any of the other RPG's represented in this game, but I wanted to play Namco x Capcom and it didn't come stateside and I really like the Darkstalkers so I became interested in this game.

My JRPG experience before this game is mainly Square Enix stuff, with a little Lunar, Legend of Dragoon, Shadow Hearts, .hack, Tales of Vesperia, and a touch of Valkyria Chronicles thrown in so this is much different that I'm used to.

[quote name='MSUHitman']123Thanks Nirron, hadn't actually read the forum, just looked at the guide after I bought it. Yeah it's not done, it's probably about 2/3 done, but it has most if not all of the complete walkthrough, just the extra stuff like bestiary, weaapons guide, etc. not done.

Their last print-to-order guide apparently is Disgaea 1 (before the PSP/DS versions which have a guide for $15) and it's $40 so that's probably the price point. EGuide for $10 much easier to swallow.

Someone123 thank you very much for letting me know about Aurica. That will make things a lot easier.[/QUOTE]

Actually, they have a print-to-order guide for Rune factory: Frontier. It's priced at $44.10, so figure in the $40 to $50 range for Cross Edge.

http://djbooks.easystorecreator.com...the-official-strategy-guide-19421p-detail.htm

The guide is now available on the site for $44.10. The e-guide is included also. I'll be buying this bad boy tomorrow, as I need help at this game.

[quote name='newlu']wow..$44.10 for a guide, isn't it a little steep?[/QUOTE]

It is pricey, but it's print-on-demand, which hikes up costs big time. The reason they can price mainstream guides in the $20 range is partially due to mass production costs. When quantity is 1, you're paying for the most inefficient type of printing they can do.

Also, for anyone that bought the e-guide, DoubleJump will refund you the $10 for the e-guide if you buy the printed guide. All you have to do is e-mail DJ with your order numbers and they should issue a refund to whatever you used to buy the e-guide.

I'm tempted to buy this maybe next month when my money spent on video games is going to be a heck of a lot smaller than this (surprising) month. DJ makes good guides, and I like being able to quickly reference a physical book.

And here is the CreateSpace guide page for anyone interested. A few pictures of it here. I believe it clocked in around 96-100 pages, which makes sense, considering pubba said a Nocturne (400 page) guide would cost about $160.

[quote name='djduke316']The guide is now available on the site for $44.10. The -guide is included also. I'll be buying this bad boy tomorrow, as I need help at this game.[/QUOTE]
I used to buy guides for RPGs all the time... before Gamefaqs was created. I don't really understand the point of buying a guide if you can get one from Gamefaqs for free.

[quote name='mxpowar']I used to buy guides for RPGs all the time... before Gamefaqs was created. I don't really understand the point of buying a guide if you can get one from Gamefaqs for free.[/QUOTE]

I still buy them but for RPG's only, mostly since i pick them up and put them down for long periods of time, the guides help me pick up where i left off and point me in the right direction, plus i dont want to sit at my computer the whole time. Another reason i like the RPG Guides is that sometimes they are worth more than the actual games themselves, since they go out of print so much sooner.

[quote name='djduke316']The guide is now available on the site for $44.10. The -guide is included also. I'll be buying this bad boy tomorrow, as I need help at this game.[/QUOTE]

The digital only copy (Flash format) is $10. Site address in on the back on the instruction manual. The physical guide is print-to-order, hence the high price.

[quote name='Layd Dly']I still buy them but for RPG's only, mostly since i pick them up and put them down for long periods of time, the guides help me pick up where i left off and point me in the right direction, plus i dont want to sit at my computer the whole time. Another reason i like the RPG Guides is that sometimes they are worth more than the actual games themselves, since they go out of print so much sooner.[/QUOTE]

same, even with my laptop it's still nice sometimes to just have a book

[quote name='MSUHitman']The digital only copy (Flash format) is $10. Site address in on the back on the instruction manual. The physical guide is print-to-order, hence the high price.[/QUOTE]

I wasn't shitting bricks on the price, simply just stating the printed guide includes the flash guide.

Looks like some DLC for the game has already been released on the PlayStation store, and it's free.

Cross Edge Wanderer Pack (free)
In need of some stronger healing items? We’ve got you covered!
File size: 111 KB

Cross Edge Power-Up Pack (free)
Scale up your skills with these ability-enhancing items.

Cross Edge Departure Pack (free)
Did you bring your handkerchief, tissues, and a few extra cure items? If not, look no further!

wonder what the reasoning behind that was, doubt the game will sell well at all in Japan (compared to the PS3 release or just in general) and less likely to come here

a dev team needed to be paid but had nothing to do?

Ugh, well looks like I'll be holding off on this until more details are announced. I hate it when this happens and the uncertainty associated with the releases... will it come here or not? Just like the Tales of Vesperia PS3 version.

[quote name='GuardianE']Ugh, well looks like I'll be holding off on this until more details are announced. I hate it when this happens and the uncertainty associated with the releases... will it come here or not? Just like the Tales of Vesperia PS3 version.[/QUOTE]

Tales makes a whole lot more sense than this though, its a fairly big franchise and the PS3 version will most certainly sell better in Japan

that and they brought over Eternal Sonata for PS3

however Cross Edge is a pretty niche RPG that while fun isn't really that good/great so the port itself doesn't make much sense and even more unlikely they'd bother to localize it (or just do more of a shoddy localization than Ar Tonelico 2 got even)

[quote name='buckythekat']Tales makes a whole lot more sense than this though, its a fairly big franchise and the PS3 version will most certainly sell better in Japan

that and they brought over Eternal Sonata for PS3

however Cross Edge is a pretty niche RPG that while fun isn't really that good/great so the port itself doesn't make much sense and even more unlikely they'd bother to localize it (or just do more of a shoddy localization than Ar Tonelico 2 got even)[/QUOTE]

But isn't the localization largely finished with the PS3 version? I guess there are additional cutscenes or something, but nothing that extensive. You're right, it doesn't make a whole lot of sense for a 360 version to be announced, period... but that makes me all the more wary that they might bring it to the U.S., since that also makes no sense.

[quote name='buckythekat']Tales makes a whole lot more sense than this though, its a fairly big franchise and the PS3 version will most certainly sell better in Japan[/quote]
Doubt it. It's an original priced and a year late. I expect it to match the 360 version's sales in Japan at best.

[quote name='buckythekat']however Cross Edge is a pretty niche RPG that while fun isn't really that good/great so the port itself doesn't make much sense[/QUOTE]
Sure it does. Niche games on the 360 sell better. They made a port of Agarest Senki for 360 too.

bread's done
Back