RPG Recommendations/Discussion

[quote name='LeafPanda']define: Gust games[/quote]

JRPGs for those who like anime looking character models. They're not that bad, but they do get repetitive.

Basically its turn-based, but rather than the bar filling up, instead there's a long line of ppl's pictures (including enemies) up at the top of the screen. Certain actions can push you further down it while other actions push you not as far.

Sorry for the double post, but what of those games should I buy first because today I made my mom mad by breaking my deal with her about not buying a game until June. (I'm such a jerk, its mothers day too =-() It might be July now, so which one do you think is going to be rarer by July and maybe June, Chaos War or DDS or Nocturne. I heard Chaos War only has 1 shipment is that true?

Why not just pick up Chaos War then? The other two have been reprinted once and should be available in any Gamestop when you're ready to buy them.

I saw that a ton has already been said about these games, and thought I would throw my opinion out there on the ones I played, also I just posted an intro post a by here with all the PS and PS2 games I've played/own that may help you focus a list if you have any questions, some on that list I would advise away from like Forever Kingdom (LOL)

Ok so before I start I will tell you what games are my top favs so you know where my prejudice begins.

Top Rpgs:
FF7
Xenogears
FF3
Chrono Trigger

------------------------

Dragon Quest 8 - Hmm, what to say about this game, all I hear is great things about this game and I have to agree somewhat. Graphics are amazing, OST is amazing, voiceacting/story line is amazing. But you know you are in battles 80% of the game and ITS SO BORING! I literally had to give up 40hrs in because I didn't want to fight any more battles I was constantly running away hoping to get to more story. Only pick this up if you are in the mood for an Old school game.

Final Fantasy 12 - Just finished this, Plays like an MMO, you have 3 characters 2 that are autod but you can switch with them any time in battle, storyline and graphics will keep you enticed and the battles are fun, especially the hunts, however the battles can get pretty mindless aside from boss fights because so much of it is auto, but none the less a great game with a wonderful story and world to get you entertained.

Xenosaga 1,2,3 - I played the first one and was blown away at the intensity of the plot. I waited awhile before throwing in the 2nd game and watched the Xenosaga anime to remind me of the plot line. The 2nd game was pretty boring, the fighting system is medicore. Honestly, just watch the anime.

.hack series - Just played infection which took 14hrs to complete, haven't gotten around to the other 3, it was enjoyable but nothing spectatular.

SMT-Nocturne - I believe this was the one my roommate was playing which looked really fun. The graphics are a bit dated but who cares if the gameplay is awesome. This game reminded me of Jade Cocoon but with demons. If you're into those types of games, capturing monsters, morphing them, lvling them, then I would advise in getting Jade Cocoon 2, it was one of the first PS2 games, and is fantastic, the graphics and gameplay could still compete with some of todays games(for the ps2 of course)

If you have any other questions let me know!

If you want a break from rpgs, check out MGS series, DMC series or Dark Cloud 2

[quote name='LeafPanda']Sorry for the double post, but what of those games should I buy first because today I made my mom mad by breaking my deal with her about not buying a game until June. (I'm such a jerk, its mothers day too =-() It might be July now, so which one do you think is going to be rarer by July and maybe June, Chaos War or DDS or Nocturne. I heard Chaos War only has 1 shipment is that true?[/quote]

Not to get OT, but how did you break the deal. Was there a contractual obligation such that when your side was not fulfilled it resulted in negative consequences for you?

[quote name='camoor']Not to get OT, but how did you break the deal. Was there a contractual obligation such that when your side was not fulfilled it resulted in negative consequences for you?[/quote]It's not that hard to understand that I bought some games before I was supposed to.

[quote name='LeafPanda']Also, I just added a few that looked good.
Was Odin Sphere, GrimGrimoire, Soul Nomad and Wild arms 5 any good?[/quote]

Odin Sphere is a 2D brawler with mild RPG elements. I loved it.

GrimGrimoire is a 2D RTS (real time strategy) akin to Warcraft. This one I did not enjoy so much. I found the story dull and didn't really care for the level design.

I haven't had the opportunity to play either of the other two. I hear mixed reviews on Soul Nomad, but having played through Disgaea, Disgaea 2, La Pucelle, and Phantom Brave, I'm just tired with NISA SRPGs.

Odin Sphere looks awesome, I like warcraft so I might try GrimGrimoire and also did you play any of the Wild Arms?
Also, is there anything different about Disgaea than Final Fantasy Tactics or Luminous Arc?
What about Ar tonelico and Growlanser?

[quote name='LeafPanda']Odin Sphere looks awesome, I like warcraft so I might try GrimGrimoire and also did you play any of the Wild Arms?
Also, is there anything different about Disgaea than Final Fantasy Tactics or Luminous Arc?
What about Ar tonelico and Growlanser?[/quote]

Wow, so many questions. I really enjoyed the first Wild Arms. I also really wanted to like Wild Arms 3, but couldn't force myself to do so. Ultimately, I just quit playing as I didn't find the storyline engaging enough.

Disgaea is a huge game. You can plod through it like a regular SRPG and then shelf it or you can work through a large number of extra areas. Every item is a 100-floor dungeon that you can work through to strengthen it. The game is massive, but for that same reason can get you burnt out on SRPGs for some time. I've not played Luminous Arc.

Ar Tonelico I really enjoyed. The game is very easy, but the story is interesting. The best part of the game is the character interaction. In order to learn new spells, your character "dives" into the psyche of the spell-casting females (called Reyvateils). This was easily the best part of the game as it was fun to see the zany situations that occurred in their subconcious.

Finally, I have not played any of the Growlanser titles so I'm afraid I'm of no help there.

[quote name='thelonepig']Wow, so many questions. I really enjoyed the first Wild Arms. I also really wanted to like Wild Arms 3, but couldn't force myself to do so. Ultimately, I just quit playing as I didn't find the storyline engaging enough.

Disgaea is a huge game. You can plod through it like a regular SRPG and then shelf it or you can work through a large number of extra areas. Every item is a 100-floor dungeon that you can work through to strengthen it. The game is massive, but for that same reason can get you burnt out on SRPGs for some time. I've not played Luminous Arc.

Ar Tonelico I really enjoyed. The game is very easy, but the story is interesting. The best part of the game is the character interaction. In order to learn new spells, your character "dives" into the psyche of the spell-casting females (called Reyvateils). This was easily the best part of the game as it was fun to see the zany situations that occurred in their subconcious.

Finally, I have not played any of the Growlanser titles so I'm afraid I'm of no help there.[/quote]
Thanks for all your help thelonepig.

I can't recommend Disgaea enough. It's got all the best elements of SRPGs. The storyline is tongue-in-cheek humor. I think it was intended to make fun of all the serious RPGs out there. It kind of plays out like a real battle between heaven and hell. Some demons are good. Some angels are bad. The humans get in the way and hijinks ensue. Master the throw command and you can wipe out any force in a couple turns.

If you want to get into Wild Arms, go track down the first two for the PS1. I haven't played 5 or XF because 3 and 4 burned me out on the series. I was thoroughly and completely disappointed with them.

So, if you're going to pick up to RPGs in the next couple weeks, track down Disgaea and Odin Sphere. Those two should give you a couple hundred hours worth of RPG goodness.

[quote name='depascal22']I can't recommend Disgaea enough. It's got all the best elements of SRPGs. The storyline is tongue-in-cheek humor. I think it was intended to make fun of all the serious RPGs out there. It kind of plays out like a real battle between heaven and hell. Some demons are good. Some angels are bad. The humans get in the way and hijinks ensue. Master the throw command and you can wipe out any force in a couple turns.

If you want to get into Wild Arms, go track down the first two for the PS1. I haven't played 5 or XF because 3 and 4 burned me out on the series. I was thoroughly and completely disappointed with them.

So, if you're going to pick up to RPGs in the next couple weeks, track down Disgaea and Odin Sphere. Those two should give you a couple hundred hours worth of RPG goodness.[/quote]
I see, I think Odin Sphere is my kind of game because I love that side scrolling platform goodness. Also, is the PSP port better than the original because my cousin who lives really close has a PSP but never uses it. So I might get some PSP games like Crisis Core, Valkyrie Profile, GOW COO, Disgaea, Tales of the World and Tales of Etrernia and borrow it for a long loong time =P.

[quote name='LeafPanda']I see, I think Odin Sphere is my kind of game because I love that side scrolling platform goodness. Also, is the PSP port better than the original because my cousin who lives really close has a PSP but never uses it. So I might get some PSP games like Crisis Core, Valkyrie Profile, GOW COO, Disgaea, Tales of the World and Tales of Etrernia and borrow it for a long loong time =P.[/QUOTE]

PSP port of Disgaea? Yeah, it's definitely better.

[quote name='LeafPanda']I see, I think Odin Sphere is my kind of game because I love that side scrolling platform goodness. [/quote]

There is no platforming to speak of in Odin Sphere.

The levels resemble a fighting game's save for the fact that if you travel in one direction you will return to your original position (hence the "Sphere").

Honestly, the game sucks if you aren't in it for the graphics.

[quote name='Chacrana']PSP port of Disgaea? Yeah, it's definitely better.[/quote]
Any reason?
Willard Haven:Well, I may have described it wrong,but it just seems to be in the genre of games I like
Moxico: I see, if I can find a store I can rent it off of maybe I should try it first.

[quote name='LeafPanda']Any reason?
Willard Haven:Well, I may have described it wrong,but it just seems to be in the genre of games I like
Moxico: I see, if I can find a store I can rent it off of maybe I should try it first.[/QUOTE]

They added a lot of new content to the PSP version, and the graphics are equally as good as the PS2 version... basically, there's no reason to get the PS2 version instead.

You might be able to find Disgaea PSP in stores new for ~$40. The used copies of both versions are ~$30. You can always get lucky and find good deals though. I found a mint copy of the PSP version in a Dayton, OH second hand music store for $12.

EDIT -- Seems like the new MSRP for the PS2 version is $30. Used copies are ~$22. So PS2 version is the cheaper. I'd still recommend the PSP version though. The screen is the perfect size and there's hardly any clutter or camera issues that you wouldn't have wouldn't have with the PS2 version anyway. Sometimes it's impossible to see characters (good or bad) if they're in a narrow valley between two much higher areas.

I think the price on the PSP one dropped to $30 a couple months ago. At least, Best Buy had it for that much.

And seriously, don't get a worse version of a game just to save $5 or whatever it is.

[quote name='Chacrana']basically, there's no reason to get the PS2 version instead.[/quote]

Not true, the PS2 version sports a much better controller and the ability to play on a TV (the PSP-TV connection is inferior).

Otherwise the PSP version is the winner.

Playing on a PSP does save your TV though. I've never liked playing RPGs on the big screen. I nearly ruined my bedroom TV playing Tales of Symphonia but to each his own.

I picked up Ar tonelico ($19.99 Game Quest deal) I was a little burnt out of RPGs but now I want to get back into one. Can anyone that played it gaive me a quick review?

[quote name='Rodimus']I picked up Ar tonelico ($19.99 Game Quest deal) I was a little burnt out of RPGs but now I want to get back into one. Can anyone that played it gaive me a quick review?[/quote]

It is one of the simplest RPGs you'll play. It's very much an anime-style JRPG in the tone of Thousand Arms, Rhapsody, etc. It was enjoyable, though I would also classify it as a mediocre title. As far as I'm concerned, what saved it from true mediocrity is the system used to gain new spells, in which you play psychiatrist. The game should take you between 20 and 30 hours depending if you decide to do the optional third chapter.

I'd recommend it if you enjoy RPGs and need something a little more whimsical than the typical angsty and emotional storylines and characters found in games such as Final Fantasy.

It's good to hear that it's not long. I'd probably be turned off if I heard that I'd have to invest 60 - 80 hours into it. I'm just not ready for that kind of commitment again.

If I were picking between FF 10 or 12 or 7: Dirge of cerberus which one should I get?
Games that I am going to buy soon:
Odin Sphere
Persona 3 FES
Chaos Wars

[quote name='LeafPanda']If I were picking between FF 10 or 12 or 7: Dirge of cerberus which one should I get?
Games that I am going to buy soon:
Odin Sphere
Persona 3 FES
Chaos Wars[/quote]

12 is akin to Rogue Galaxy, if you've played that. If not, it's similar to an MMORPG.

10 is very much a standard Final Fantasy RPG.

DoC is an action game with mild RPG elements (leveling up, customizing guns, etc). It was worth playing through once, but it does have it's issues.

Of those three, I would recommend 12, then 10, then DoC.

[quote name='LeafPanda']How high is the need to play that (FF 12) compared to other games on my list?[/QUOTE]

I'd play FES first... Final Fantasy XII would probably be under that in terms of priority.

[quote name='Chacrana']I'd play FES first... Final Fantasy XII would probably be under that in terms of priority.[/quote]

Keep in mind that they're both the longest as each can last you well over 100 hours. I'd play FES, then break it up with one of the other titles so that you don't get entirely burned out on RPGs.

[quote name='LeafPanda']Was Valkyrie Profile 2 any good because I got that on clearance awhile ago? So far I haven't even unwrapped it.[/quote]

I enjoyed it and found it worth the play through, but didn't find anything tremendously groundbreaking. The graphics and environments looked great, with a few exceptions. My biggest pet peeve was that the main character's head looked a bit squished.

EDIT: The battle system was fun. It's similar to an SRPG where you have an amount of points that you can spend for movement. There are quite a few characters, though most of them don't have any story time devoted to them. You don't have to play the first game to understand this one, though there are a few elements that play into the first.

I loved VP2. My biggest problem was I got attached to the einherjar and didn't want to send them up to Valhalla. I loved the battle system and it was a challenging game. And even if you didn't play the first VP you could still pick this one up no problem. In fact it doesn't even seem like a sequel till the very end.

I don't think anyone mentioned the Wild Arms series.

I have played all 5 but finished only 3 and 4. Wild Arms 4 was my favorite game out of the series.

I also liked Grandia 3.

[quote name='groundskeeper']I don't think anyone mentioned the Wild Arms series.

I have played all 5 but finished only 3 and 4. Wild Arms 4 was my favorite game out of the series.

I also liked Grandia 3.[/quote]

With no disrespect but I think you have a unique taste in RPGs. While I never played Wild Arms 4 I always heard it was a huge step back for the series and to avoid it. I only beat the first one but tried 2 & 3 only for a few hours before losing intrest.

I did beat Grandia 3 but it didn't grab me like the first two. The only thing that saved it from being awful was the battle system. I always loved the fighting in that series, it's probably one of the best turn-based systems in a RPGs. However the characters were boring and the storyline wasn't any better.

Yeah, that's the first time I've ever head someone say they liked 4 more than the other games in the series. Most people seem to love the first and third games in the series. I liked the first but couldn't stand any of the other ones except 5 or XF which I haven't played yet.

Maybe just because WA4 was the first one I played in the series and it was a change of pace to have the Hex grid and the platforming.

[quote name='LeafPanda']I've heard 5 was pretty good, also out of all the Suikodens for the PS2 which is the best.[/quote]

No question Suikoden V is the best. Suikoden III may be a bit dated, and Suikoden IV is the worst in the series.

Keep in mind Suikoden V has a very slow start and takes about 10 hours to really get into the game. This turned alot of people off. As a huge Suikoden fan SV is my favorite title in the series.

bread's done
Back