RPG Recommendations/Discussion

[quote name='depascal22']Grandia II for the DC was actually really easy to get on Goozex. I'd recommend it for Dreamcast games while they still list them.[/quote]
My friend has a dreamcast, but no memory card and also don't want to use goozex right now. Whats so bad about PS2 port?

[quote name='LeafPanda']My friend has a dreamcast, but no memory card and also don't want to use goozex right now. Whats so bad about PS2 port?[/QUOTE]

Bad graphics. Sound Quality not quite as good compare to Dreamcast version.

[quote name='Rodimus']I wouldn't say 3 was horrible but the story never really picks up and the characters are just so dull and uninteresting. It's your typical story of boy meets mysterious elf girl and goes on a journey to to save her & the world from the some evil religion. If that's your thing then go for it. However I didn't play much of Xtreme, but from what I hear it wasn't very good.[/QUOTE]

Is it me? I got this weird vibe that the elf girl is more in love with his brother then main character. And protagonist is more in love with his mother then elf girl. They constantly talk about them. The interaction with main and elf are slim to none .

[quote name='fatbeer']Bad graphics. Sound Quality not quite as good compare to Dreamcast version.

Is it me? I got this weird vibe that the elf girl is more in love with his brother then main character. And protagonist is more in love with his mother then elf girl. They constantly talk about them. The interaction with main and elf are slim to none .[/quote]
you seem like a Grandia Know-it-all

[quote name='fatbeer']Is it me? I got this weird vibe that the elf girl is more in love with his brother then main character. And protagonist is more in love with his mother then elf girl. They constantly talk about them. The interaction with main and elf are slim to none .[/quote]

Yuki's mom was a MILF, I wouldn't blame him. And it's funny that you mention the interaction between the two cause at the end
they have some half human/elf kid.
Don't know when he made his moves but it wasn't in Grandia III.

but before you start anything you play persona 3, i have never even touched my ps2 until i got this game now i cant get off, i used to hate jrpgs also.

[quote name='Rodimus']Yuki's mom was a MILF, I wouldn't blame him. And it's funny that you mention the interaction between the two cause at the end
they have some half human/elf kid.
Don't know when he made his moves but it wasn't in Grandia III.[/QUOTE]

That ending didn't surprised me at all. It had typical jrpg story from start to finish.

[quote name='LeafPanda']Also, Shining Force and Shining Tears series?[/QUOTE]

When you talking about the Shining Force, are you referring to ps2 version, Shining Force Neo and Exa?

It sort of like Gauntlet Legends, you hack and slash hordes of enemies while picking up items to upgrade your characters. Sounds like great idea, but there are so many problems with this game like super repetitive, massive slowdown in Neo, single player only, bad story, horrendous voice acting and very little attack variation. I rather play Marvel Ultimate Alliance, Dynasty Warriors, Samurai Warriors or Diablo II. There all hack and slash action rpg, but with better game play elements and it's multiplayer

I would avoid Shining Tears as well. It have lots of loading problems and AI in this game is really bad. Enemy units will just stand there until you get close by. This problem is a combination of poor programming and system limitations.

[quote name='LeafPanda']Whats so bad about PS2 port?[/QUOTE]
The Dreamcast version is better than the PS2 port, but the graphics are pretty dated either way. The reasons to play Grandia 2 are for the battle system, story and characters. If you haven't got a Dreamcast just play it on the PS2 and don't worry about it. There's a PC version as well if you'd prefer that.

[quote name='fatbeer']
When you talking about the Shining Force, are you referring to ps2 version, Shining Force Neo and Exa?

It sort of like Gauntlet Legends, you hack and slash hordes of enemies while picking up items to upgrade your characters. Sounds like great idea, but there are so many problems with this game like super repetitive, massive slowdown in Neo, single player only, bad story, horrendous voice acting and very little attack variation. I rather play Marvel Ultimate Alliance, Dynasty Warriors, Samurai Warriors or Diablo II. There all hack and slash action rpg, but with better game play elements and it's multiplayer

I would avoid Shining Tears as well. It have lots of loading problems and AI in this game is really bad. Enemy units will just stand there until you get close by. This problem is a combination of poor programming and system limitations.[/quote]

Agreed on most points. I did find SF Exa worth a playthrough. The characters/art/story was fun, at least. It's definitely worth the $20 it runs at Walmart.

SMT Persona 3 FES: Great game, will last you 100+ Hours, and there's always something to do day in and day out. Also, this game may be rare in the future.

Star Ocean: Till the End of Time: Decent RPG, although I was kind of disappointed the way the story draws itself out. Still a good game to play though, you might want to check it out.

Tales of the Abyss: A very enjoyable game, I've always been a fan of the Tales series. Lengthy overall game and a unique gameplay.

Final Fantasy XII: A whole new game. Gone with random encounters and gone with the turn-based. It feels and plays like an offline MMO. You might want to check it out.

Disgaea: Hour of Darkness:
Best SRPG I've played. Hours and hours of gameplay, but only buy it if you have interest in these kinds of games.

[quote name='thelonepig']Agreed on most points. I did find SF Exa worth a playthrough. The characters/art/story was fun, at least. It's definitely worth the $20 it runs at Walmart.[/QUOTE]

Shining Force Exa is pretty good game if you like the mindless hack and slash. It's vast improvement over previous version- 2 playable characters, a lot less lag from previous version and some weapon system to defend your base. It just voice acting and story is really bad. If your used to playing single player Dynasty Warriors, it won't be a big problem.

[quote name='Ichigo1993']SMT Persona 3 FES: Great game, will last you 100+ Hours, and there's always something to do day in and day out. Also, this game may be rare in the future.[/quote]

An employee at a well-travelled GameStop in my area told me last week that he expected a price drop on FES but he only cited as evidence the 15 new copies of it he had sitting on his shelf.

[quote name='dfg']An employee at a well-travelled GameStop in my area told me last week that he expected a price drop on FES but he only cited as evidence the 15 new copies of it he had sitting on his shelf.[/quote]
Ding Ding This may be the most common game in all Game Stops. I see them everywhere gathering dust screaming buy me. I want to buy it, but on video game ban right now and also enjoying FFX a lot, RS is okay i like it, but not as much as FFX

[quote name='dfg']An employee at a well-travelled GameStop in my area told me last week that he expected a price drop on FES but he only cited as evidence the 15 new copies of it he had sitting on his shelf.[/quote]

I'm guessing Atlus is actually making copies of this game? If only DDS was this easy to find :bomb:.

On another note, I picked up Shadow Hearts: Covenant, heard some great things about it. Also, Champions of Norrath is a great game as well. The game plays like an offline diablo. My favorite thing about it is the multiplayer, 1-2 players co-op, or 1-4 if you have multitap.

[quote name='depascal22']Champions of Norrath was good but I had more fun with Baldur's Gate.[/quote]

i just got this free its pretty fun, theres a sequel return to arms. i assume these are limited products as they are 17.99 and 29.99,respectively, used at gs

[quote name='Ichigo1993']How's Valkyrie Profile 2? I've been wanting to check this game out for awhile now..[/quote]

It's certainly worth a play through if you can snag it for around $20. It had some refreshing mechanics in it that helped to liven the game up a bit.

I thought the original Xenogears was phenomenal. I was really disappointed with the first Xenosaga. However, I bought it on release day and was jaded by the high price for low quality. Considering its gotta be $15 or less anywhere, its probably worth a playthrough.

[quote name='Ichigo1993']Dam Gamestop...I just figured out I only have 1 disc of Shadow Hearts: Covenant...a 2nd disc never showed up..[/quote]

That is horrible. When did you buy it? You might be able to return it if it is pretty recent.

[quote name='LeafPanda']Hows Breath of fire and Romancing saga and Unlimited Saga.[/quote]

BoF Dragon Quarter was a breath of fresh air. It can also become very tedious and very long. My biggest complaint are the sound effects during battle.

Many, many people will tell you to stay away. There are a few of us on here that really enjoyed it though and feel it deserves more attention than it actually gets.

The game is designed for you to work through and then should you get stuck to start over (maintaining some of your stats). The neat aspect of this is that every time you start over you get some additional cutscenes depending on how far you had gone before restarting.

One thing that all Breath of Fire have in common- all the main protagonist is named Ryu, a blue hair teenager with dragon powers who join forces with a wing girl name Nina to stop the forces of evil. The game play for Brath of Fire 1-4 is pretty much the same, traditional turn based rpg. It follows the same patterns as all Capcom games. It's fresh and exciting when first game of it's series came out then it gets boring when they start rehashing the same stuff over and over again.

[quote name='fatbeer']... The game play for Brath of Fire 1-4 is pretty much the same, traditional turn based rpg. It follows the same patterns as all Capcom games. It's fresh and exciting when first game of it's series came out then it gets boring when they start rehashing the same stuff over and over again.[/QUOTE]
Would BoF4 be fresh and exciting to someone hasn't played any of them?

[quote name='Moxio']I'm bold to say this, but Breath of Fire IV is the best RPG on the PSX.[/QUOTE]

See and I thought it was a horrible let down.

To those asking about Breath of Fire I think the other guy summed it up very well. BoF1-4 were all very traditional RPGs. The first one on the SNES was EXTREAMLY old school having only a simple plot to hold the game together and your options were pretty much limited to attack or magic. It also required some grinding.

The second game in the series was more in line with the SNES evolution of RPGs. Grinding was required but not as much so in past games like DQ, there were some options outside attack and magic but it was still limited. There was a little more story then games of the past but dont expect to be blown away(though the charcters made it a memorable and fun experience to me).

The series evolved on the PSX requiring much less grinding and adding some new features like becoming a pupil under different masters which gave you new skills and stat ups. The dragon system was also changed to where you could change the power and even the dragon itself you morph into by choosing different "dragon genes" before morphing. Its story was sub par by alot of standards....however again I LOVED the charcters in the game and as a result found it very memorable.

The fourth game seems to be where things get mixed. Alot of people feel its the best in the series....others like myself see it as the start of the end. IV introduced new gameplay elements like combos but I hated alot of these features and thought its story was trash(the damn thing went nowhere half the game).

The PS2 version I dont even think should be counted as the Vth game and it really killed the series for me. The Vth game is less of a traditional RPG and more of a dungeon crawler. Instead of focusing on a story and the charcters the game focuses far more on entering into the various areas of the game and grinding out enemies for new equipment and other junk. I usually like these kind of games but for some reason V didnt sit well with me.

Now with a little sum up ill say that no BoF has ever been a bad game(though to me IV skirted average just hardly)they are all worth a shot. Its just a matter of your taste.

i found a copy of unlimited saga at a local closing rental place, it is terrible. every aspect of the game is bad gameplay voice acting you name it. it sucks.

so unlimited saga is out. Haven't heard much about .hack and magna carta yet. Or all those random atlus games like steambot chronicles and metal saga

[quote name='LeafPanda']so unlimited saga is out. Haven't heard much about .hack and magna carta yet. Or all those random atlus games like steambot chronicles and metal saga[/QUOTE]

Yesh outside Magna Carta id stay away from all of those games. Even Magna Carta I wouldnt expect alot out of.

[quote name='LeafPanda']What's so bad about the .hack games?[/quote]

The .hack games are fairly repetitive. I really enjoyed all seven of them, though I prefer the original quadrilogy over the GU trilogy. I'd say pick up the .hack//Infection and if you like that, you'll probably enjoy the rest.

[quote name='LeafPanda']What's so bad about the .hack games?[/quote]

Having only played the original quadrilogy (Infection/Mutation/Outbreak/Quarantine), my beef was just with how monotonously repetitive they were. I liked the faux-online setting and wanted to get into the story, but nearly every event trigger involves going to the bottom of some long dungeon, warping back to town, and repeating the process. It wouldn't have been so bad for a two-part game, but I had to struggle to get through all four...

If you're curious about them, my advice would be to rent the first one (Infection) and put in five hours or so. The combat system and event progression will basically be the same over the remaining games, so you can make up your mind whether to continue based on that...

(Added moments later: Or just read thelonepig's post above... =)

Like the others have said. I wanted to get into .hack and thought it had an amazing setting. However the games are far to repetive and dont even have a great weapon/item system as other dungeon crawlers do to keep you interested. Add in the fact that the games are amazing short....ya I really cant recommend them.

bread's done
Back