RPG Recommendations/Discussion

It's unfortunate you didn't enjoy BoFIV... I felt it was a fantastic game with a very solid story (certainly better than FFVII/VIII/IX) and simple, but extremely satisfying gameplay.

[quote name='Moxio']It's unfortunate you didn't enjoy BoFIV... I felt it was a fantastic game with a very solid story (certainly better than FFVII/VIII/IX) and simple, but extremely satisfying gameplay.[/QUOTE]

THe story went nowhere most of the game then it felt as though they just tried to slap it together with some over the top weirdness at the end. Honestly I felt like most of it was just the charcters running from one thing or another.

[quote name='LeafPanda']I overall enjoy the .hack story. This is based on Legend of the Twilight Manga right?[/quote]

Not in essence, no. The .hack franchise is huge and there really isn't anything that is fully an adaptation of another part. In other words, the novels, manga, games, and anime are all a connected story or individual stories in the same world. Everything can be enjoyed on its own, but the first .hack anime will lead you into the original .hack game quadrilogy, which include the Liminality OVA series that shows what is happening in the real world during the game. The .hack//ROOTS anime is a precursor to the GU games. The novels and manga all fit in there as well.

[quote name='Moxio']It's unfortunate you didn't enjoy BoFIV... I felt it was a fantastic game with a very solid story (certainly better than FFVII/VIII/IX) and simple, but extremely satisfying gameplay.[/quote]

I loved the story, but hated the gameplay. It's one of those dividing games - some love it, some hate it.

I have been enjoying, Odin Sphere Persona 3 FES and Rogue Galaxy, mostly Persona, i have never played rpgs before and persona keeps drawing me back in.

[quote name='LilPaintballer']I have been enjoying, Odin Sphere Persona 3 FES and Rogue Galaxy, mostly Persona, i have never played rpgs before and persona keeps drawing me back in.[/QUOTE]

Personas pretty good. Iv been using it as a work out game(sounds odd but in addition to my normal exercise I pick a game and pop it in and play it while walking in place for an hour or two).

I finished Odin Sphere last week. Enjoyed it alot, I wish that there would have been less enemies/bosses/backgrounds repeated between charcters but it was a great game over all.

Persona 3 FES is the first game I'm going to get when my Video game ban is lifted. Too bad I'm going to miss the Odin Sphere drop.

[quote name='LeafPanda']Persona 3 FES is the first game I'm going to get when my Video game ban is lifted. Too bad I'm going to miss the Odin Sphere drop.[/QUOTE]

Iv been playing it as I said as a work out game and im enjoying it quite a bit. For $30 it was a hell of a steal for anyone that missed the first game. *sighs at the thought of his 2 copies of the origional Persona 3 which are devaluated*

I wouldn't worry that much about Persona 3 being devalued. The artbook and packaging will be attractive to collectors down the road. Maybe it's just the optimist in me though since I also have 2 copies of the original.

[quote name='depascal22']I wouldn't worry that much about Persona 3 being devalued. The artbook and packaging will be attractive to collectors down the road. Maybe it's just the optimist in me though since I also have 2 copies of the original.[/QUOTE]

Thats what im hoping, that FES if anything slightly ups its popularity causing the collectors stuff to make P3 be worth more in the long run. Especially since 1 of the 2 copies is sealed.

[quote name='MSI Magus']Thats what im hoping, that FES if anything slightly ups its popularity causing the collectors stuff to make P3 be worth more in the long run. Especially since 1 of the 2 copies is sealed.[/quote]

Same here. I've got one sealed copy that I've got right next to sealed copies of DDS1 and MGS3LE. I hate to think I'm "invested" in video gaming but, damn it, I am. I'll probably sell my sealed copy of P3 when P4 drops.

[quote name='depascal22']Same here. I've got one sealed copy that I've got right next to sealed copies of DDS1 and MGS3LE. I hate to think I'm "invested" in video gaming but, damn it, I am. I'll probably sell my sealed copy of P3 when P4 drops.[/QUOTE]

Heh ill have to take a pic of my collection sometime. Im the same way, try to buy sealed games, make sure im grabbing the the cool exclusives(Ghaneleon punch puppet, Castelvania Anniversary Pack)and all the rare RPGs.

Leafpanda your going to have to rethink what your goign to play. Disgaea for the DS is just DIsgaea 1 not 2. Though it does come with the PSP extras and some extras of its own. I wish you were right and it was Disgaea 2 though!

[quote name='MSI Magus']Heh ill have to take a pic of my collection sometime. Im the same way, try to buy sealed games, make sure im grabbing the the cool exclusives(Ghaneleon punch puppet, Castelvania Anniversary Pack)and all the rare RPGs.

Leafpanda your going to have to rethink what your goign to play. Disgaea for the DS is just DIsgaea 1 not 2. Though it does come with the PSP extras and some extras of its own. I wish you were right and it was Disgaea 2 though![/quote]
No You misunderstand
Ima get disgaea 2 for PS2 not 1 because I'm getting the ds port.

[quote name='depascal22']When did the DS get a Disgaea port?[/quote]

When that day comes, I'll probably never see the day of light anymore.

I also picked up Wild Arms 5. Interesting concept, but it follows the generic RPG standards, with the exception of hexagonal spacing turn-based style. Typical RPG storyline, PS2 standard graphics, and an overall a decent game. I've played 3 & 4. 5 has been best of the of the 3.

[quote name='thelonepig']Not in essence, no. The .hack franchise is huge and there really isn't anything that is fully an adaptation of another part. In other words, the novels, manga, games, and anime are all a connected story or individual stories in the same world. Everything can be enjoyed on its own, but the first .hack anime will lead you into the original .hack game quadrilogy, which include the Liminality OVA series that shows what is happening in the real world during the game. The .hack//ROOTS anime is a precursor to the GU games. The novels and manga all fit in there as well.
[/quote]

For me, I enjoyed the first four video games strictly because of the .hack anime series. I loved the series and the game just was a bonus for me. I have not played the second game series or if there have been other series since the ones that came out years ago.

[quote name='LeafPanda']

Can you guys recommend others or help me weed out from this list the horrible games?
Thanks[/quote]

You know...when it comes to Japanese RPG's, even those that are stinkers according to other reviewers, I have always found something that I enjoyed. For example "Dragoneer's Aria" for the PSP..definitely not liked by many people. But I bought it when it first came out and enjoyed it. So, it comes down to you and what you get out of it.

So, focusing on PS2 games... The only RPG game that I just got bored with for the first hour was "Metal Saga". But again, that's just an hour playing.

As for games that will resonate with me for its gameplay in storyline... "Persona 2", "Final Fantasy" but for the PS2...I enjoyed FFX a lot, oh..loved "Ar Tonelico" a lot! Enjoyed "Suikoden III", "Shadow Hearts", "Rogue Galaxy".

But I have a long list of JRPG games I have owned for years and have yet to play.

Just thought I'd throw this out there, but Valkyrie Profile 2 is so ridiculously polished (gets the little things right) for its era(?) it is gonna suck to play older games once I'm done with it.

[quote name='dfg']Just thought I'd throw this out there, but Valkyrie Profile 2 is so ridiculously polished (gets the little things right) for its era(?) it is gonna suck to play older games once I'm done with it.[/QUOTE]

Heh I couldnt stand that game because of the horrid battle system.

[quote name='MSI Magus']Heh I couldnt stand that game because of the horrid battle system.[/quote]

Huh. I've enjoyed the combat of all the tri-Ace games I've played so far (Star Ocean 3 and Radiata Stories). I find it a refreshing change of pace from menu-driven, single button presses that wear out my X button.

Now, Magna Carta's battle system...

edit: I was looking for a combo vid I saw on YouTube but I couldn't find the right one. I haven't taken it to such extremes, but the capacity for juggling like a fighter (i.e. Tekken) is built into the battle system, and I say kudos to the developers for including that extra dimension to the game. Plus it looks purty.

edit: Found it! [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MzseGfGQH7Q[/media]

whee?

[quote name='dfg']Huh. I've enjoyed the combat of all the tri-Ace games I've played so far (Star Ocean 3 and Radiata stories). I find it a refreshing change of pace from menu-driven, single button presses that wear out my X button.

Now, Magna Carta's battle system...[/QUOTE]

Didnt say I only enjoyed turn based. I loved all the other games you mentioned and can add Kingdom Hearts, DC2 and alot of others to the list. As I get older I find I actually preffer action RPGs more and more. I just hated VPs system because of the whole stupid distance and team mate crap.

[quote name='MSI Magus']Didnt say I only enjoyed turn based. I loved all the other games you mentioned and can add Kingdom Hearts, DC2 and alot of others to the list. As I get older I find I actually preffer action RPGs more and more. I just hated VPs system because of the whole stupid distance and team mate crap.[/quote]

Fair enough. I thought the distance mechanism was a sensible retreat from the previous SO3's crazy running around + teammate AI system. Not that it's flawless, of course.

I am drawing a mental and Google blank, though, on what DC2 is...

[quote name='dfg']Fair enough. I thought the distance mechanism was a sensible retreat from the previous SO3's crazy running around + teammate AI system. Not that it's flawless, of course.

I am drawing a mental and Google blank, though, on what DC2 is...[/QUOTE]

Dark Cloud 2

[quote name='depascal22']That Valkyrie Profile 2 clip is pretty damn good. I might throw it on my Goozex Request List.[/QUOTE]

I actually received VP2 from Goozex, but traded it in to GS without even playing it. :hot:

Stupid me.

Magna Carta has a ridiculously complex system of ridiculously complex systems, especially its combat. It also has the worst load time issues of any game I've ever played (aside from Broken Sword for Xbox, and Painkiller) because it was ported to the PS2 from Windows. The story was either originally nothing special, or was butchered in the Korean->Japanese->English migration, which doesn't really create a lot of incentive to figure out the combat system.

One of these days I'm going to put nose to grindstone and get through it, though by that time my reactions may be so diminished by age I won't be able to deal with the button combos.

[quote name='analogline']Magna Carta has a ridiculously complex system of ridiculously complex systems, especially its combat. It also has the worst load time issues of any game I've ever played (aside from Broken Sword for Xbox, and Painkiller) because it was ported to the PS2 from Windows. The story was either originally nothing special, or was butchered in the Korean->Japanese->English migration, which doesn't really create a lot of incentive to figure out the combat system.

One of these days I'm going to put nose to grindstone and get through it, though by that time my reactions may be so diminished by age I won't be able to deal with the button combos.[/QUOTE]

Yesh, see I had heard about the complex systems but not the load times. Load times can be a real killer for me. Biggest stand out to me is Tales of Abyss. I was LOVING that game and quit about 30% into the game when it was really getting good because I just couldnt take the 10 second load times between every freaking battle.

[quote name='depascal22']I've got to play Tales of the Abyss after I finish Odin Sphere. Too many great games in my backlog that gets bigger by the day.[/QUOTE]

It seemed easily on par with ToS.....but as I said the load times are just horrid.

[quote name='MSI Magus']Yesh, see I had heard about the complex systems but not the load times. Load times can be a real killer for me. Biggest stand out to me is Tales of Abyss. I was LOVING that game and quit about 30% into the game when it was really getting good because I just couldnt take the 10 second load times between every freaking battle.[/quote]

I just got Tales of the Abyss, and it'd be nice if the load times were shorter, but they didn't grate on me that much. Maybe it gets worse the later you go. My perceptions also could be warped by having played through the aforementioned Broken Sword for Xbox, which has 45+ second load times all over the place at points which make no sense. Often times when FedEx-ing puzzle items around, you'll get a loading screen, followed by 5 seconds of you running through a hallway and to a door, and then another 45 seconds or more of loading. Worth getting at Gamestop and returning before 7 days are up just to see how horribly bad it is, a graduate level course in how not to do it.

[quote name='62t']glad that after 200+ post you found 2 games you will get[/quote]
hey don't hate
I got VP2, Legendia, FFX and Radiata Stories already

I didn't mind the load times on Symphonia so I shouldn't have any problem with Abyss. Hell, I wish we could get more old school ports on the PSP. I'd much rather play RPGs on that.

[quote name='depascal22']I didn't mind the load times on Symphonia so I shouldn't have any problem with Abyss. Hell, I wish we could get more old school ports on the PSP. I'd much rather play RPGs on that.[/QUOTE]

I didnt even notice the load times on ToS. So dont assume that just because it was fine ToA will be fine. And ya it would be nice to see more ports to the PSP. It would be nice to see more of any software on the PSP ;) I think they should release DC3 for it, would be a great fit since its a pick up and go kind of game and doesnt take 2+ hour gaming marathons.

I wish we got some of the ports the Japanese got for the PSP including Eternia, Phantasia,Suikoden and Star Ocean

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='LeafPanda']I wish we got some of the ports the Japanese got for the PSP including Eternia, Phantasia,Suikoden and Star Ocean[/quote]

Europe got Eternia, so you can get it in English from there, as well as Breath of Fire III.

Actually, a quick look on eBay found Eternia for under $40 shipped. It'll take awhile, but if I didn't have it for PSX I'd have bought that copy I just found.

You've made some good choices thus far, with VP2, Radiata, TotA and Persona. It really doesn't get much better than that.

Random encounters suck.

[quote name='MSI Magus']
Edit - And Radiata stories sucks! Stop talking about it![/quote]

Sorry, you are wrong.

I shouldn't be surprised, you do have a FF X tattoo and that game was pretty bad.

[quote name='willardhaven']Sorry, you are wrong.

I shouldn't be surprised, you do have a FF X tattoo and that game was pretty bad.[/QUOTE]

By what standards? Its story was told well with great plot twists, its skill system was top notch, every charcter had lots of back story. Seriously by any objective standard it was great where as radiata stories had a pretty borked battle system and a cliche story.

Seriously, reviews are not perfect but in general they are within a half point of being fair at any given times. There is a reason that FFX got like a 9 average and Radiata Stories last I looked wanst even breaking 7.

bread's done
Back