RPG Recommendations/Discussion

[quote name='Rodimus']No question Suikoden V is the best. Suikoden III may be a bit dated, and Suikoden IV is the worst in the series.

Keep in mind Suikoden V has a very slow start and takes about 10 hours to really get into the game. This turned alot of people off. As a huge Suikoden fan SV is my favorite title in the series.[/quote]
I see....
Can anyone back up Soul Nomad because that is almost the only game no one has commented on.
Also, Grandia, Growlanser, Radiata Stories and romancing saga.

[quote name='Rodimus']No question Suikoden V is the best. Suikoden III may be a bit dated, and Suikoden IV is the worst in the series.

Keep in mind Suikoden V has a very slow start and takes about 10 hours to really get into the game. This turned alot of people off. As a huge Suikoden fan SV is my favorite title in the series.[/quote]

I always enjoyed the Suikoden series due to its emphasis on the politics behind the characters actions. Of all of them, I would say that V is the most steeped in politics, hence the slow start. Suikoden II is still my favorite of the series, though it'll be difficult to find a copy.

My little brother traded my copy in to some random store while I was out of town. :cry:

lonepig - The politics is what I love about the Suikoden series. Some gamers may think it's boring but I get tired of the "Save the world from pure evil" routine.

[quote name='Rodimus']lonepig - The politics is what I love about the Suikoden series. Some gamers may think it's boring but I get tired of the "Save the world from pure evil" routine.[/quote]

I completely agree. It can be overwhelming though. I remember several times through V that felt like C-Span. ;)

[quote name='thelonepig']I completely agree. It can be overwhelming though. I remember several times through V that felt like C-Span. ;)[/quote]

:) More like Suiko-Span. I work at a news station so I guess I'm a bit more immune to it.

Wow, I need to buy VP: Lenneth for the PSP. I love VP2 so much even though I've played it for such a short time.
Which game should I get first Radiata Stories or Tales of the Abyss.

Yesh. Valkyrie profile 2 was awesome. You should get tales of abyss i played it for a bit and it was good i haven't played Radiata stories yet, seems good though. Im going to buy those games too hopefully sooner than later :p

[quote name='Rodimus']Wow bro, you have a huge back-log of RPGs. Are you really gonna play them all?[/quote]
Well my backlog of games right now insists of:
Tales of Legendia
Tales of Symphonia
Valkyrie Profile 2
Super Mario Galaxy
Paper Mario (VC)
Okami
MySims

Thats about it. I haven't bought any of the RPGs I said I was going to buy yet.

Go play Tales of Symphonia. If you like that, skip Legendia and pick up Abyss. If you don't like it, go play Disgaea. We probably won't hear from you until Christmas.

I like Tales of Symphonia, but it's hard and annoying even though I am not that far. I like Tales of Legendia better than Symphonia for some reason. I'm going to get Abyss and Disgaea though. I guess for Symphonia I have to suck it up and stop whining =P.
I have to update my haves list.

I can't play too many RPGs at once. Lately, I've kept myself to one. There's nothing worse that coming back to an RPG and forgetting the story, battle system, or where the hell I was supposed to go.

For right now, I'm all about the greatness that is Disgaea. I thought Jeanne d'Arc was an awesome SRPG but then I played Disgaea and ,well........I got sucked in. I've hit 100 hours on an RPG before but now that I'm well on my way to 200 on Disgaea I understand what it is to be a hardcore RPG guy. I don't know if I can hit 300 like some other people on CAG but I can easily spend another 100 hours leveling up everything.

Avoid the Tales games - they're terrible.

You should get

Drag-on Dragoon 1 & 2

Final Fantasy X

Shin Megami Tensei Nocturne
Shin Megami Tensei Nocturne - Digital Devil Saga 1 & 2
Shin Megami Tensei Nocturne - Devil Summoner
Shin Megami Tensei Nocturne - Persona 3 FES
Shin Megami Tensei Nocturne - Persona 4 (when it comes out this fall)

Suikoden 3
Suikoden 5

Shadow Hearts 1 & 2

Tsugunai Atonement

Xenosaga I-III

[quote name='Nephlabobo']Avoid the Tales games - they're terrible.[/quote]

Really? I'd put the Tales series at the top of the pile with the Final Fantasies and SMT series. You can try to say that they're button mashers but you can't really beat Symphonia by just mashing the attack button. You can however, beat Final Fantasy X by just "mashing" attack. You can go through with Auron, Tidus, and Wakka attacking, Yuna healing, and Lulu casting the appropriate magic. You could also have Rikku steal at the beginning of every battle but it's not that important in the long run. Seriously, do just that and you'll beat the game with no problems. That being said, I'm a huge fan of FFX so it's not like I'm just bashing on the game to piss you off.

I had to constantly tweak my strategy in Symphonia. It's difficult to pull off combos with Lloyd and monitor the whole team in real time but it's a beautiful thing when a strategy comes together and a boss goes down. It's a challenge and a perfect game for someone that's not new to RPGs. Don't forget Symphonia doesn't have random battles. You can always see the monsters (or rough approximations of the party) before you run into them and start throwing down. FFX is cutscene, run down path, cutscene, random battle, finish running down path, cutscene, etc...

I probably like the Tales series more because I was already burned out on FF when I played Symphonia. Instead of killing my 1 millionth Cactaur, I had new enemies to figure out and a new battle system to learn and enjoy. Don't get me wrong, FFX has the best battle system for any turn-based RPG but the cutscenes and low difficulty make it a beginner RPG. It was a great showcase for the PS2's graphics (Yuna's scene in the beginning is stunning) but doesn't beat Symphonia.

Something is telling me I should put Tales of Symphonia back on my least priority of my backlog until I have more experience with RPGs. So I might finish my other RPGs before going through symphonia. Also, does anyone know where I can find disc one of FF8 and maybe case and manual because I have disc 2, 3 and 4 and lost disc 1, manual and case. I also lost my FF9 manual I think. Also, the price of FF7 is going down right?

FF7 should cool down until 13 is a month or two from release. The demand will probably get white hot again when it finally releases. 7 has that nostalgic grip on people like Super Mario Bros, Goldeneye, Halo, and Zelda.

I guess FFX would be a good fit for you since you consider yourself a beginner in RPGs. However, I'd stay clear of the SMT series if you consider the Tales series too hard. The random battles in Nocturne will send you cryin' to mama if you're not prepared.

My memory might be fuzzy from a couple beers but I don't remember any difficult puzzles in ToS. GameFaqs should help you with any puzzles. No shame in looking for help. Hell, I needed it for three or four of the colossi in Shadow of the Colossus.

[quote name='depascal22']The random battles in Nocturne will send you cryin' to mama if you're not prepared.[/quote]

And much of the time even if you are. It's not that the game is difficult, per se, you just have to be lucky.

In fact, I was playing earlier today running through the Assembly of Nihilo and twice I was attacked by three Incubus. The first cast Evil Glare (Gaze?), hitting my main character and dropping him automatically to 1 hp. The second would attack and kill him. Unless you have the right Mitama equipped when the battle comes up, you can get hosed very quickly (which in retrospect may be what you mean by preparation - it's just hard to be prepared when your attackers are somewhat random).

[quote name='thelonepig']And much of the time even if you are. It's not that the game is difficult, per se, you just have to be lucky.

In fact, I was playing earlier today running through the Assembly of Nihilo and twice I was attacked by three Incubus. The first cast Evil Glare (Gaze?), hitting my main character and dropping him automatically to 1 hp. The second would attack and kill him. Unless you have the right Mitama equipped when the battle comes up, you can get hosed very quickly (which in retrospect may be what you mean by preparation - it's just hard to be prepared when your attackers are somewhat random).[/quote]
I see, that sounds harsh and
okay, i'll use gamefaqs.
I think I'll wait awhile until Nocturne, FF X sounds good though, is X-2 anything like it because I played that.

Yeah, FFX isn't like that. There wasn't a single time where I went into a fight completely unprepared.

There's a couple times I went into a boss battle in ToS and had to completely change strategies a couple times. There's a couple characters that can be used a couple different ways. Presea was a great tank but Colette can be used as a Healer or as a long range attacker. It would be annoying as hell but having Colette drop Angel Feathers a couple times is a good as having a Palladin Howitzer on your side. You just had to deal with hearing "Angel Feathers" in a high pitched girls voice. Like I said, it's annoying but at least you had a healer that could do something other than heal.

EDIT --- Just out of curiosity, why did you play X-2 before you played X?

[quote name='depascal22']Yeah, FFX isn't like that. There wasn't a single time where I went into a fight completely unprepared.

There's a couple times I went into a boss battle in ToS and had to completely change strategies a couple times. There's a couple characters that can be used a couple different ways. Presea was a great tank but Colette can be used as a Healer or as a long range attacker. It would be annoying as hell but having Colette drop Angel Feathers a couple times is a good as having a Palladin Howitzer on your side. You just had to deal with hearing "Angel Feathers" in a high pitched girls voice. Like I said, it's annoying but at least you had a healer that could do something other than heal.

EDIT --- Just out of curiosity, why did you play X-2 before you played X?[/quote]
Well one time my little cousin came home with some PS2 games. One of them being X-2, I played it and like it a lot. Just never got the chance to play X

If you really liked X-2, you should love X. You'll also get some backstory on Yuna and Rikku that will help you understand X-2 even more.

I never got to Finish X-2 because my friend borrowed it and I think my data for the game got deleted so I'll start it over. I remember playing KH and talking to Tidus and Wakka in the beginning and thinking where the hell did these characters come from, they must be new.

I'm still grinding through Valkyrie Profile 2. It's got a great battle system, which Tri-Ace games usually do (Star Ocean 3, Radiata Stories). I can't say much for the story and the character development is waaaay inferior to the original, but it's got so much polish and got so much of the little things right that it's quite enjoyable. Undoubtedly because it came at the end of the system's lifespan. I'm just worried that when I get to my backlog of older, technologically inferior games, I'll get pissed off by the minor annoyances.

While I'm at it, I'll list the RPGs I never finished and why not:

Magna Carta - horrible battle system - gave up after less than a day.
Grandia 2 - story and voice acting drove me nuts after getting more than halfway through, but I enjoyed the combat.
Disgaea - I come back to it every year or so and insanely plan to fully level all my characters equipment, and then give up. Rinse, repeat.

Vagrant Story - The battle system screwed me over to where I got a few hours in and couldn't defeat an enemy with the skills/weapons I had. Gave up.
Chrono Cross - interrupted and came back to it after months and couldn't pick up the story again.
Xenogears - Gave up right before the end of the first disc; got tired of it.
FF9 - Had to take a break and gave up. Also, I checked the FAQ and found that I missed something, which kills me.

About Growlanser Heritage of War....don't bother....it seems so bland...drags like crazy, has a bad battle system, looks terrible, and is mainly only worth it for the packaging.

[quote name='nitrosmob']About Growlanser Heritage of War....don't bother....it seems so bland...drags like crazy, has a bad battle system, looks terrible, and is mainly only worth it for the packaging.[/quote]
What about generations?

Generations comes with 2 games which are nearly identical (and you can import a few chars from the first to the second at the end). There's really nothing innovative about them. Without all the voice acting, they could have been previous-gen games.

[quote name='LeafPanda']Got Final Fantasy X and Radiata Stories. Hope I picked the right choices.[/QUOTE]

great choice. two games that will last you a long time.

[quote name='62t']great choice. two games that will last you a long time.[/quote]
Those were the only ones that stood out, there was also Star Ocean Suikoden 3, Grandia 2, Final Fantasy 12, .hack infection and .hack GU.
I keep on hearing bad things about Radiata Stories, I think I will enjoy it though.

With Radiata Stories, it's important to save before a crucial story event so you don't have to start over from scratch if you want to play both sides. I can't remember if the game alerts you to this or not.

As for Growlanser Generations, it's okay; play better games first.

[quote name='LeafPanda']Are the Grandia games good?[/quote]

Grandia 1 - Excellent but rare & pricey
Grandia 2 - Awsome but the PS2 version has problems get the DC version if you can
Grandia 3 - Boring story & characters but the battle system is still intact
Grandia Xtreme - Stay away from anything with the word "Xtreme" in it, and this is no Xception.

Like FF & Wild Arms none of the stories connect. I recommend Grandia 2, it's cheap and fun.

[quote name='LeafPanda']3 and Xtreme horrible, 2 good?[/quote]

I wouldn't say 3 was horrible but the story never really picks up and the characters are just so dull and uninteresting. It's your typical story of boy meets mysterious elf girl and goes on a journey to to save her & the world from the some evil religion. If that's your thing then go for it. However I didn't play much of Xtreme, but from what I hear it wasn't very good.

[quote name='Rodimus']I wouldn't say 3 was horrible but the story never really picks up and the characters are just so dull and uninteresting. It's your typical story of boy meets mysterious elf girl and goes on a journey to to save her & the world from the some evil religion. If that's your thing then go for it. However I didn't play much of Xtreme, but from what I hear it wasn't very good.[/quote]
What other games would you recommend or not recommend?

bread's done
Back