RPG Recommendations/Discussion

FFX did have the best battle system for a turn based RPG. You really can't beat swapping characters out in the middle of battle to adjust your strategy.

Oh, and Tales of Eternia can be found on here. I bought a copy for under $40 from a CAG. And, if you don't mind disc only, a few copies have floated through Goozex. That's a cheap alternative providing you have patience. It kills me how many people say Goozex sucks because they don't get a super rare game RIGHT NOW.

[quote name='MSI Magus']Im PRAYING that that comes true. Seriously SO2 kicked ass and id love to play a remake for it and the first. If they release them as a collectors set together for $40ish ill probally buy it day one vs pirating it.

Edit - And Radiata stories sucks! Stop talking about it![/quote]
Well, remembering that you hate Real time RPGs I can see why you think that, but people are entitled to their opinions and you just can't control that.
Wow , i think I just sounded smart.=P

[quote name='LeafPanda']Well, remembering that you hate Real time RPGs I can see why you think that, but people are entitled to their opinions and you just can't control that.
Wow , i think I just sounded smart.=P[/QUOTE]

I never said that I hated real time RPGs, someone else assumed that because I didnt like a single real time RPG. I just stated a few posts up I cant wait for SO which is a real time game....I suggested ToA......this shouldnt be hard to figure out.

And yes everyone is entitled to their opinions. However you can objectively tell some things and that FFX is alot better then Radiata stories....its kinda a no brainer to anyone but a fanboy.

[quote name='MSI Magus']
And yes everyone is entitled to their opinions. However you can objectively tell some things and that FFX is alot better then Radiata stories....its kinda a no brainer to anyone but a fanboy.[/quote]
Exactly, deep in my mind I regret buying it, but I still enjoy it.

[quote name='willardhaven']Sorry, you are wrong.[/quote]

No, Radiata Stories' dialogue was cringe worthy. I couldn't get past the first two hours of the game.

Horrible, just horrible.

Final Fantasy X was a snore compared to RS. The battles of FFX (a major portion of the game) became really routine by the end of the first few dungeons. The writing in FF X was "cringe worthy" as well, but it wasn't billed as a comedy.

Radiata is a light-hearted game that isn't trying to ape Final Fantasy VII's overbearing drama. The world of RS is more vibrant and detailed on rails than FF X's fully 3D one.

The reviews (in the case of those two games) are wrong, unless they're based on production values.

Yay, religious warfare.

Back on topic, here are some curve balls I didn't see thrown previously...

Deus Ex: The Conspiracy - FPS, Western, Elder Scrolls-style action RPG it may be, but it's a classic, and cheap as hell for the PS2 at Gamestop. ($4 last I looked)

Justice League: Heroes - slightly thinner on the RPG back end than other games using the Snowblind engine or the X-Men Legends-based games, but a quite well written plot, with good dialogue and voice acting to boot. I don't really like DC comics stuff in general, but this is a large exception.

The Bard's Tale - The last Snowblind engine action RPG, but heavily plot/story/interaction oriented. Hilariously funny.

Summoner 2 - underappreciated action-RPG, no knowledge of the first Summoner game required (if memory serves, they are two sides of the same story)

Deus Ex was pretty cool on PC, I had forgotten about all of those early PC ports on PS2 (Half-Life, etc.).

I heard JL Heroes was pretty weak next to Marvel UA, which I wasn't a huge fan of.

I've been meaning to try The Bard's Tale, how does it stack up next to Demon Stone (the only similar game I've played)?

Summoner 2 I'll admit I refused to try based on watching clips of the original (ouch).

[quote name='willardhaven']

The reviews (in the case of those two games) are wrong, unless they're based on production values.[/quote]

So every person who reviewed the game and didn't like it is wrong?

Wow, that's amazing.

[quote name='Nephlabobo']So every person who reviewed the game and didn't like it is wrong?

Wow, that's amazing.[/QUOTE]

Ignore him. He has prooven he cant be objective nor rational. Not a good combination.

[quote name='MSI Magus']Ignore him. He has prooven he cant be objective nor rational. Not a good combination.[/quote]

It's easier to act high and mighty with someone when you can spell and/or form a sentence.

I'm having fun though, I hope you are too.

[quote name='willardhaven']Deus Ex was pretty cool on PC, I had forgotten about all of those early PC ports on PS2 (Half-Life, etc.).

I heard JL Heroes was pretty weak next to Marvel UA, which I wasn't a huge fan of.

I've been meaning to try The Bard's Tale, how does it stack up next to Demon Stone (the only similar game I've played)?

Summoner 2 I'll admit I refused to try based on watching clips of the original (ouch).[/quote]

Heroes is based on the Snowblind engine (Dark Alliance games, the Champions of Norrath games, the console Brotherhood of Steel) so it's a different flavor than the Ultimate Alliance lineage of games. Plays pretty much exactly like the other games made with that engine, just with super powers (though the super power use interface works nearly exactly the same as Ultimate Alliance). I actually just finished Ultimate Alliance last night, and Heroes is far better story-wise. Not that it's hard to be better than Ultimate Alliance's story, which is easily the worst I've dealt with in a long while.

The Bard's Tale is almost nothing like Demon Stone (I think it was based pretty much on the engine from the LotR movie beat'em ups). It's a Snowblind engine game, so think Dark Alliance with hack and slash de-emphasized, major pet summoning/management emphasis, and exploring dialogue options being much more important.

And the closest thing I can think of to what Summoner 2 is like is Rogue Galaxy as far as gameplay.

Hey Hey guys don't want a flame war going on here. They are 2 different games, 2 different studios, 2 different gameplays, different graphics and aimed at different people. You just can't compare the two. =P
But if you guys are having fun, Go on.
Didn't see that last bit there thought it was about anger.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='willardhaven']It's easier to act high and mighty with someone when you can spell and/or form a sentence.

I'm having fun though, I hope you are too.[/quote]

So am I, after reading that. :D

[quote name='willardhaven']No I'm just saying that FF X is not vastly superior to RS.[/quote]

I'm not saying one is superior to the other, I'm saying Radiata Stories was a downright fucking terrible game in terms of story, soundtrack and voice acting.

Case in point - http://youtube.com/watch?v=3NvRNoGkLoE&feature=related

This was the first game since Legend of Legaia that I just couldn't bring myself to finish.

Even the much maligned Unlimited Saga was far better than this tripe.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Nephlabobo']So am I, after reading that. :D[/quote]

I was describing Magus' tendency to misspell and completely confuse the focus of his sentences. I'd love for you to correct my grammar though, so fire away.

[quote name='Nephlabobo']
I'm not saying one is superior to the other, I'm saying Radiata Stories was a downright fucking terrible game in terms of story, soundtrack and voice acting.

Case in point - http://youtube.com/watch?v=3NvRNoGkLoE&feature=related

This was the first game since Legend of Legaia that I just couldn't bring myself to finish.

Even the much maligned Unlimited Saga was far better than this tripe.[/quote]

If you don't take it seriously, the story is a pretty nice change of pace from the usual melodramatic Japanese RPG. It's not the best, but FF X wasn't all that spectacular either.

The dialogue is at times awful, but some characters are well-acted (Jack not being one of them). I think Gerald and a ton of other minor characters were well acted.

The soundtrack is forgettable, but what is horrible about it other than its overly jazzy nature?

[quote name='willardhaven']I was describing Magus' tendency to misspell and completely confuse the focus of his sentences. I'd love for you to correct my grammar though, so fire away. [/quote]

I meant that your comment about Magus was funny/entertaining. Not that you were making a mistake.

If you don't take it seriously, the story is a pretty nice change of pace from the usual melodramatic Japanese RPG. It's not the best, but FF X wasn't all that spectacular either.

The dialogue is at times awful, but some characters are well-acted (Jack not being one of them). I think Gerald and a ton of other minor characters were well acted.

The soundtrack is forgettable, but what is horrible about it other than its overly jazzy nature?

I *hate* synth jazz for one. It justs sounds cheesy to me, so the soundtrack drove me up the wall. Combined with the voice acting and the generic plot, it was just too much for me.

For contrast, I thought that Threads of Fate on the PS1 does a much better job of trying to be a kind of more modest, light hearted take on the RPG. It seems like they're trying to do the same things, but TOF succeeded everywhere that Radiata Stories didn't.

(Except voice acting, as TOF didn't have any).

[quote name='Nephlabobo']I meant that your comment about Magus was funny/entertaining. Not that you were making a mistake.

I *hate* synth jazz for one. It justs sounds cheesy to me, so the soundtrack drove me up the wall. Combined with the voice acting and the generic plot, it was just too much for me.

For contrast, I thought that Threads of Fate on the PS1 does a much better job of trying to be a kind of more modest, light hearted take on the RPG. It seems like they're trying to do the same things, but TOF succeeded everywhere that Radiata Stories didn't.

(Except voice acting, as TOF didn't have any).[/quote]

Sorry I misread your post, I know I'm not immune to making mistakes while posting, Magus just seems to do it constantly.

I will have to play ToF all the way through since I've only played the demo.

I thought the recruiting, art direction, graphics engine and controls made Radiata Stories worthwhile. The huge cast of supporting characters and their daily routines were awesome to watch too.

Thanks for making valid points though, it's a lot more fun debating the game with people who are not ranting about objectivity.

Yeah, the graphics were fine. The one thing I did like about the game was the art style. It did seem to fit the tone of what they were going for, a more light hearted RPG.

And you're welcome. :D

I know it's not the popular opinion, but Odin Sphere was too tedious and unresponsive for me.

There is a perpetual lag to the controls and there are no levels to speak of.

Also Odin Sphere is a beat 'em up, not an RPG.

One thing it had going for it was the artwork, the designs are beautiful in motion.

Its a beat em up with RPG aspects. I think i will like this game because beat em ups are my thing like those shaman kings for the GBA/

[quote name='LeafPanda']Its a beat em up with RPG aspects. I think i will like this game because beat em ups are my thing like those shaman kings for the GBA/[/QUOTE]

You probably will. Williard is the only person iv heard dislike it.....but heh again his tastes are questionable.

Dont worry the game is an RPG, your character doesn't gain levels and get stronger....however the food you eat raises your life and enemies killed translates into your weapon leveling up and thus you getting stronger.

Little tip for Odin Sphere, don't concentrate too much at raising your HP via growing stuff. Later in the game you start to unlock recipes that you can use to REALLY boost your HP up. Especially after the first character(some of the later characters get access to the chefs early in their scenarios)

What did I say that wasn't true?

The controls do lag, there is a lot of slowdown during combat, and every level is a battle on a flat plane with no variation other than enemies.

Some people love it because it's definitely a challenging beat 'em up game with awesome art direction. I happen to dislike it because I favor exploration in the games I play.

To claim good or poor taste is silly, ours are just different. I generally enjoy the mainstream games as well, but Odin Sphere happened to have my fatal flaw: unresponsive controls.

I think a lot of people wound up disliking Odin Sphere because they were expecting more of an RPG and it's nothing close. It's pretty, and there are a couple cut scenes, but it's really just a brawler. I know a lot of people whined about lag -- and it was there in a couple chapters, but I didn't see it as game killing.

I liked the stage pathways, so you can kind of customize how hard it's going to be or how quick you're going to get done with the chapter. I also liked growing seeds, and gathering all the stuff for the recipes in the cafe, the food was an interesting choice in leveling up rather than fighting x amount of enemies. ..but I guess I could see that as annoying to some people, too.

I think it's a good pick up. I think I am still on the final, final chapter. I don't think I have seen all the story endings yet.

[quote name='squid']I think a lot of people wound up disliking Odin Sphere because they were expecting more of an RPG and it's nothing close. It's pretty, and there are a couple cut scenes, but it's really just a brawler. I know a lot of people whined about lag -- and it was there in a couple chapters, but I didn't see it as game killing.

I liked the stage pathways, so you can kind of customize how hard it's going to be or how quick you're going to get done with the chapter. I also liked growing seeds, and gathering all the stuff for the recipes in the cafe, the food was an interesting choice in leveling up rather than fighting x amount of enemies. ..but I guess I could see that as annoying to some people, too.

I think it's a good pick up. I think I am still on the final, final chapter. I don't think I have seen all the story endings yet.[/QUOTE]

Iv played everything from dungeons and dragons to Everquest, Final Fantasy to Monstania and Kingdom hearts to Kings Quest. I dont understand how people can say that Odin Sphere is just a beat em up and not an RPG. First off its RPG elements are heavy enough that it should be considered an RPG....but second off it is by no means a beat em up. Calling it a beat em up makes as much sense as calling Devil May Cry one.

Beat em ups are games like Gekido and Final Fight.

Devil May Cry involves puzzles... but yeah, genre labels are iffy.

Number based battle systems are really what separate JRPGs from action games and their ilk.

Do you consider Onimusha or Devil May Cry to be JRPGs? They are definitely more similar to Odin Sphere than Persona or Final Fantasy.

[quote name='willardhaven']Devil May Cry involves puzzles... but yeah, genre labels are iffy.

Number based battle systems are really what separate JRPGs from action games and their ilk.

Do you consider Onimusha or Devil May Cry to be JRPGs? They are definitely more similar to Odin Sphere than Persona or Final Fantasy.[/QUOTE]

See they are more similar to Odin Sphere then Persona. But Odin Sphere is more similar to Persona then to them IMO.

To me its math that defines an RPG. Odin sphere just like FF or Persona has some crazy math going on behind the scene, hell it even has Critical hits. Meanwhile DMC or Onimusha you will always hit for the same static damage based on the weapon you are using.

Would you consider Kingdom Hearts an RPG btw?

Kingdom hearts is a Japanese Action RPG I guess, but it's a thin line.

The reason I don't really consider Odin Sphere to be an RPG or JRPG is because it lacks real numbered stats, levels, equipment and exploration.

But since JRPGs aren't really RPGs it's a tough call. I think you could call it an RPG just as much as it could be called a Beat 'em Up. I mean Kingdom Hearts 2 at times plays like Dynasty Warriors.

The real question is; what is a role-playing games(rpg)? In past decade, it was easy to identify a rpg or any other genre when things are simple. It wasn't hard to distinguish a rpg, beat' em up or any other genre. Rpg have their experience points, exploration, customization and really deep story telling. While, beat 'em ups was well known for close quarter combat of punches or kicks, two player co-op with side-scrolling stages. But with the growing popularity of videos games along with the rapid change of technology, so have the genres. Many of modern games uses what most people called hybrid genres which involves borrowing different elements for different gaming genres such game like Mass Effect. One of biggest change in genre is the modern day beat 'em up (Devil May Cry, Dynasty Warriors, God of War or Heavenly Sword) borrowing ideas from different genre- platforming from action/ adventure to rpg elements for customization. In fact, it been use so much, it's getting to point it hard to distinguish a game's genre. The easiest way to distinguish is one's genre is by looking at it primary game play element.

That why
Puzzles Quest is still considered puzzle game regardless of rpg elements
Zelda is still considered action/adventure with it's platforming and action/adventure style.

I think Odin Sphere falls in a little bit of both so it's action rpg along with games like X-Men Legends or Marvel Ultimate Alliance.

I don't see why Odin Sphere can't be classified as an action RPG if Dark Alliance, X-Men Legends, Record of Lodoss War DC, or Dark Cloud can be. It has levels, just a different mechanic for gaining experience. Last time I played it numbers indicating damage done and received were flying all over the screen. It plays an awful lot like the 2d Tales games combat systems, and those aren't even generally considered action-RPGs.

Sure, it's a VERY different breed of action-RPG, but it's not even close to Dynasty Warriors, Final Fight, TMNT, God of War or other actual brawlers. Frankly, lots of what are called action RPGs would be flat out action games if there wasn't a bolted on "level" system that does little besides making each punch or sword swing hit for more.

Yeah I agree it's hard to distinguish genres nowadays. I mean Onimusha 4 has a ton of statistics and equipment yet it is not considered an RPG.

[quote name='fatbeer']The real question is; what is a role-playing games(rpg)? In past decade, it was easy to identify a rpg or any other genre when things are simple. It wasn't hard to distinguish a rpg, beat' em up or any other genre. Rpg have their experience points, exploration, customization and really deep story telling. While, beat 'em ups was well known for close quarter combat of punches or kicks, two player co-op with side-scrolling stages. But with the growing popularity of videos games along with the rapid change of technology, so have the genres. Many of modern games uses what most people called hybrid genres which involves borrowing different elements for different gaming genres such game like Mass Effect. One of biggest change in genre is the modern day beat 'em up (Devil May Cry, Dynasty Warriors, God of War or Heavenly Sword) borrowing ideas from different genre- platforming from action/ adventure to rpg elements for customization. In fact, it been use so much, it's getting to point it hard to distinguish a game's genre. The easiest way to distinguish is one's genre is by looking at it primary game play element.

That why
Puzzles Quest is still considered puzzle game regardless of rpg elements
Zelda is still considered action/adventure with it's platforming and action/adventure style.

I think Odin Sphere falls in a little bit of both so it's action rpg along with games like X-Men Legends or Marvel Ultimate Alliance.[/QUOTE]

Compltly agree with everything you said.

I like it so far. Starting a little slow and confusing with the stages, but when I get more spells and stuff I think i will enjoy it more. The art is breathtaking, its simply amazing.

It's very good looking, I think Grim Grimoire looks good and is slightly more fun. It's a real-time strategy game so decide for yourself if you want to try it.

Maybe, also does anyone have good what should I buy out of these NIS SRPGs(getting disgaea 2 for sure/getting 1st one for DS)
Makai Kingdom
Phantom Brave
La Pucelle tactics
Soul Nomad

Makai Kingdom is Phantom Brave with vehicle combat.

Phantom Brave is Disgaea with no grid system.

La Pucelle is a super slow Disgaea (for each turn you transport to a battle screen like Tactics Ogre).

Soul Nomad I haven't played but looks even more like Tactics Ogre.

They share core gameplay elements but if you are a fan pick them all up.

I have Makai, Phantom Brave and both Disgaeas.

They all have different stories as well.

The only RPG i ever like was Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic. Also, check out Deus Ex, which more of an FPS with RPG elements, but its openess and replayability more than compensates.

[quote name='willardhaven']They share core gameplay elements but if you are a fan pick them all up.

I have Makai, Phantom Brave and both Disgaeas.

They all have different stories as well.[/quote]
I heard KOTOR was good, but not super interested in star wars.
I like NIS, so after I get the three games I'm after I'll go after NIS

[quote name='LeafPanda']Maybe, also does anyone have good what should I buy out of these NIS SRPGs(getting disgaea 2 for sure/getting 1st one for DS)
Makai Kingdom
Phantom Brave
La Pucelle tactics
Soul Nomad[/QUOTE]

I havnt played Soul Nomad or Makai Kingdom yet but id avoid Phantom Brave like the plague. La Pucelle id consider but go into appreciating its a 7 and much weaker then games like Disgaea.

And I dont think tis fair to say their all like Disgaea. Yes they are grid based and quirky.....however thats about the end of it. I dont understand how anyone can even think something as horrible as Phantom Brave is similar to Disgaea.

They're not all grid based actually. Phantom Brave and Makai Kingdom do not use any sort of grid map.

Phantom Brave is definitely better than La Pucelle though.

Disgaea 1 and 2 are definitely their best.

I really can't say anything about Soul Nomad though, other than that it is more like Tactics Ogre from the videos I've seen. You command squads bu they act on their own once the skirmishes begin. Anyone who actually has this game could probably give you better info.

If you finish both Disgaea games, then move on to PB and MK, that's the best way to go.

[quote name='willardhaven']They're not all grid based actually. Phantom Brave and Makai Kingdom do not use any sort of grid map.

Phantom Brave is definitely better than La Pucelle though.

Disgaea 1 and 2 are definitely their best.

I really can't say anything about Soul Nomad though, other than that it is more like Tactics Ogre from the videos I've seen. You command squads bu they act on their own once the skirmishes begin. Anyone who actually has this game could probably give you better info.

If you finish both Disgaea games, then move on to PB and MK, that's the best way to go.[/QUOTE]

Mispoke. But do agree that Disgaea then the others are the way to go. Again id say avoid PB like the plague though.

[quote name='willardhaven']Yeah honestly you are never truly done with Disgaea.[/quote]
I heard
Also Darth Puma why is it so amazing.

[quote name='willardhaven']Yeah honestly you are never truly done with Disgaea.[/QUOTE]

Truer words have never been spoken. Every time think im done with that game I go back to get my Majinn to a new level of insane overpoweredness.

200+ hours on Disgaea and I still haven't bothered to finish the last chapter. I'm having too much fun in the item dungeons.

KOTOR is fun even if you don't like Star Wars. Great story. Great gameplay mechanics. If you really don't want to play Star Wars, go get Mass Effect. Much of the work put into KOTOR made Mass Effect the awesome game that it is.

bread's done
Back