RPG Thread VII is a Spoony Bard

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='2DMention']Sounds like 4 warriors of light will be a POS game. I'm gonna wait for the reviews first. I don't know what else to spend my $15 TRU giftcard on though.

Do you guys think TRU will get Fist of the North Star or Rock Band 3 Keyboard bundle?[/QUOTE]

Why do you say that? I read a rave review of the Japanese version somewhere. Square-Enix has been making great handheld games so I'm not worried. I pre-ordered at Amazon since it was 33 + a $10 gift card. Amazon is basically subsidizing games.

From the screens I've seen I'm not really hyped for 4 Warriors of Light, but I really hope I'm proven wrong. More good RPGs always a good thing.

Also, wtf happened to Blood of Bahamut? Did SE decide not to bring that stateside? I was looking forward to that :(

I'm still playing DQ9.. but grotto grinding is kind of meh, so I'm most likely going to change to something different soon.

Anyone try Nostalgia? How is it?

[quote name='willardhaven']Square-Enix has been making great handheld games so I'm not worried.[/QUOTE]
True, but Matrix hasn't.

Squenix fanboys rejoice, a sequel to your wet dreams has been announced. Dissidia 2 (or whatever it'll be called) is coming to the PSP. Lighting and Kain will be in it.

I still have the first one and only beat Cloud's story. I didn't like the fighting system at all.

[quote name='Rodimus']I didn't like the fighting system at all.[/QUOTE]

This. It was an interesting idea and I really liked the cutscenes and the way they tied the heroes and villains together (and wow did I love that openeing CG) but HATED the fighting system. Hopefully they'll overhall it in 2.

Ditto. Loved everything about it except the fighting system. Which, in a "fighting" game, is pretty unforgivable. I hope they change it up for the second one.

I'm finally getting Dissidia, since it was like $13 on Amazon. I was kind of scared away by the fact that it was a fighting game, which is why I didn't get it before, although I thought the demo was mildly amusing, and I love how Terra looks in it.

I'm giving up on glory of Heracles and starting
the Super Robot OG game on the DS tonight or tomorrow night. hopefully it has a save anywhere feature.

Wow, that Wired article on 4 Heroes is pretty damning indeed, it definitely has me reconsidering my pre-order.

Edit: Nevermind, my pre-order is paid off with promotional credit which has since expired, so I guess I'll be biting the bullet at launch. At the very least I can see for myself how badly they screwed it up.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Erad30']I'm nearly at the end of Star Ocean: The Last Hope, the final 2 bosses sound real goddamn intimidating. I may grind for awhile before I even attempt them. Get my guys up to like 70 or so. Right now they range anywhere from 47-57.[/QUOTE]

Beat it this morning. Lot easier than I thought, probably because I got massively lost near the end and fought nearly every enemy there multiple times and a couple bosses on that last stretch. Onto Tales of Vesperia (which I grabbed about a month ago, but haven't started) and Birth By Sleep.

[quote name='voltanis99']Just can't seem to get into FF XIII. Just got into the pulse section of the game.[/QUOTE]

Do people force themselves to play FFs as a tradition? Like, "ohh another FF, maybe it will be good this time?"

Honestly, if you're not feeling it:

A.) Don't buy it
B.) If you already did, trade it back in instead of torturing yourself

I'm not trying to sound hostile here, I just feel really bad that you've put 20 hours into a game you're not "feeling." That sounds like an awful time, and I'd recommend putting it down.

Maybe it's just me but I'm very good at gauging how much I'll enjoy a game from only a short play time, or even a trailer for that matter. I played Quantum Theory for about 3 minutes before vomiting all over my Dualshock 3, for example.

[quote name='voltanis99']Just can't seem to get into FF XIII. Just got into the pulse section of the game.[/QUOTE]

Rodimus should be here soon to talk about how awful it is and to recommend that you stop torturing yourself if you're not enjoying it :)

Personally I haven't played it, but it certainly isn't for everyone (even fans of the previous ones) by all accounts. I really liked FF12, but I'll probably skip XIII.

I haven't even played an RPG for PS3 yet, but my first one might just be Mass Effect 2. I've heard good things about that.

I thought I'd give it a shot, but it's really just not worth playing for me anymore. I'm not really sure which of my backlog to play next though

[quote name='panzerfaust']Rodimus is the king of playing 45 hour games he doesn't like.[/QUOTE]

Am not, just the king of FFXIII hate. There was incentive to play till the end thanks to all the misplaced hype of Chapter 10 or 11. I had 2 choices: Give up and forever get reminded about how awesome the end is or finish it and have the obligation to tell everyone how terrible it is from beginning till the very shitty groan-punching end. fuck FFXIII, I hate that fuckin' game so much. I hate it so much that I.....Ohh.... I'm sorry, excuse me, Mr. O'Reily wishes to expresses his opinion of FFXIII.
bill.jpg

I put down DQ:IX for a bit and I haven't played it in a week.

My Cunning Archer Rogue is still stuck around 25 hours in DA:O.

I installed Deadly Reflex in Oblivion...then walked into the main city castle thing.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand I haven't really played games in a week.

OMG WHAT DO I DO.

I played XII for nearly 100 hours, it was great IMHO. XIII was a solid game, but it didn't feel like a Final Fantasy game, I'll admit. Still enjoyed it enough to play through the game. I usually give an rpg a few hours to see if I really can get into it. Frankly I don't care if the last X amount of hours of a game are the best ever if you have to slog through X amount of bad hours to get there. Again, I liked FFXIII fine enough, but if I hadn't bought it launch day and all I heard was the last couple chapters are amazing, but the all the previous ones are mediocre at best, I wouldn't have even tried it.

Oh well if the ending is decent for it then I'll just push through FF XIII then. Can't really start another game at the moment because of an upcoming vacation.

Kingdom Hearts: Birth By Sleep is looking pretty good. Might pick it up when I eventually finish Persona 3:portable and Valkyria Chronicles 2. Anyone else have any recommendations for any upcoming/recently released must own for the PSP?

[quote name='voltanis99'] Anyone else have any recommendations for any upcoming/recently released must own for the PSP?[/QUOTE]

Ys Seven is really awesome.

[quote name='Rodimus']Anyone else hate the "library" in RPGs?. I always feel obliged to read every single book and it's boring as hell.[/QUOTE]
I do roll my eyes. I do like bookshelves in DQIX though, because woo recipes!

[quote name='Rodimus']Anyone else hate the "library" in RPGs?. I always feel obliged to read every single book and it's boring as hell.[/QUOTE]

I love it, haha. Games like Elder Scrolls or Baldur's Gate especially, where they are sometimes multi-page books (sometimes with pictures!) telling stories, local histories, folk tales, etc. Really shows the developers took the time to make the world feel more real.

For the past week I've been desperately looking for an RPG to play. So I tried Infinite Undiscovery for the first time ever and one word best describes it: bland , got about 4 hours in before I realized I was forcing myself to play. Even looking at the profiles in the manual I was like "Wow, this is a dull band of heroes."

Wild Arms 4 is okay but I just can't stand the characters. I'll probably pick it back up down the road because I did enjoy it, but defiantly not as good as WA5.

So after those two attempts I decided to play something a bit more oldschool. I began another game of FFVII and it's not as good as I remember it. I didn't realize how bad the translation was, either that or it's just poorly written. Maybe I just played it so much when I was younger that it's lost it's luster. I got to the part where you have to rescue Tifa by dressing up as girl and wasn't feeling the magic anymore.

I took a chance and downloaded Wild Arms 2 from the PSN, for $6 why not. I didn't care for it much as a kid but I'll give it another shot. Holy shit I love it. What took me so long? Only problems: The story and script feel a bit dated, and I'd be lying if I said the 3D battles aren't ugly. I mean this game came out in 2000 the same year we got visual beasts like FF9, Chrono Cross, and a slew of Dreamcast games. So looking back there's no wonder why it didn't hold my interest. Anyways looking past the graphics it's extremely enjoyable. Like all WA games dungeon puzzles are a blast, great music, simple gameplay. Even though I don't care much for the 3D, the 2D sprites are charming. I just wish I had more time to play.

[quote name='Rodimus']For the past week I've been desperately looking for an RPG to play. So I tried Infinite Undiscovery for the first time ever and one word best describes it: bland , got about 4 hours in before I realized I was forcing myself to play. Even looking at the profiles in the manual I was like "Wow, this is a dull band of heroes."
[/QUOTE]

hahaha, I've also been in a bit of an RPG slump. I too started with IU, played about 6 hours, and decided I just couldn't stand this crap any more. I then tried to youtube the story segments, and even those bored me so much I just jumped to the (really stupid) ending.

Then tried getting into Radiata Stories, and it failed to grip me too. I loved the story (when it was there) and the graphics and characters, but the battle system was garbage, and the "side quests" were just tedious fetch quests, so I stopped that too.

Playing Spiderman Shattered Dimensions now, but after... finally start my Demon's Souls NG+?

FFVII IMHO is one that really hasnt aged well and it has a lot of story issues that for some reason people ignored (Sepiroth isn't a badass, he's a wussy mama's boy, Cloud is a whiny emo, though not nearly as much as Squall/Leon in FFVIII). I much prefer IX that's still my personal fave FF.

Has anyone played Arc Rise Fantasia yet? Is it just me, or are the bosses too hard? Maybe I've been abusing the dodge-able encounters, but I had to grind already and I'm only 7 hours in.

Other than that, I like it a lot, but on a 7th generation console my JRPG rating system tends to be a lot more lenient out of necessity.

[quote name='Erad30']FFVII IMHO is one that really hasnt aged well and it has a lot of story issues that for some reason people ignored (Sepiroth isn't a badass, he's a wussy mama's boy, Cloud is a whiny emo, though not nearly as much as Squall/Leon in FFVIII). I much prefer IX that's still my personal fave FF.[/QUOTE]

You look at all the spin-off FFVII stuff and both Cloud & Sephiroth are portrayed a little differently. Another thing that's always bothered me was [SPOILER ALERT] Sephiroth's transformation to "villain." It's all so sudden with no build up. It's like "OMG I'm a genetic creation from the remnants of some ancient space witch, only one thing left to do, burn Nibleheim"

But I agree with you, IX is a great game. Going back to the basics, the original team, everything just felt Final Fantasy. Nowadays it's more Final Sci Fi than Fantasy.

[quote name='Rodimus']For the past week I've been desperately looking for an RPG to play. So I tried Infinite Undiscovery for the first time ever and one word best describes it: bland , got about 4 hours in before I realized I was forcing myself to play. Even looking at the profiles in the manual I was like "Wow, this is a dull band of heroes."

Wild Arms 4 is okay but I just can't stand the characters. I'll probably pick it back up down the road because I did enjoy it, but defiantly not as good as WA5.

So after those two attempts I decided to play something a bit more oldschool. I began another game of FFVII and it's not as good as I remember it. I didn't realize how bad the translation was, either that or it's just poorly written. Maybe I just played it so much when I was younger that it's lost it's luster. I got to the part where you have to rescue Tifa by dressing up as girl and wasn't feeling the magic anymore.

I took a chance and downloaded Wild Arms 2 from the PSN, for $6 why not. I didn't care for it much as a kid but I'll give it another shot. Holy shit I love it. What took me so long? Only problems: The story and script feel a bit dated, and I'd be lying if I said the 3D battles aren't ugly. I mean this game came out in 2000 the same year we got visual beasts like FF9, Chrono Cross, and a slew of Dreamcast games. So looking back there's no wonder why it didn't hold my interest. Anyways looking past the graphics it's extremely enjoyable. Like all WA games dungeon puzzles are a blast, great music, simple gameplay. Even though I don't care much for the 3D, the 2D sprites are charming. I just wish I had more time to play.[/QUOTE]

i think i made it about 3 hours into IU, have not touched it since january.

Wild Arms 2 is an amazing game, hope you enjoy it, also make sure you do finish WA4, Justin can be a bit whiny, but i felt the whole game was far superior to 5. Dean, and the girl from the same town (cant remember her name) actually annoyed the hell outta me the whole game.

While IX is my favorite too despite its terrible ending, VII is a great game. I understand that it's a popular game, which makes it easy to criticize, but the gameplay is smooth and the graphics are well done for its time.

Dragon Quest IX is great so far (much faster than the clunky VIII). My only complaint is the NPC sprites. I don't like having nice rendered "important" characters and cardboard cutout extras.

[quote name='ctrek3']Wild Arms 2 is an amazing game, hope you enjoy it, also make sure you do finish WA4, Justin can be a bit whiny, but i felt the whole game was far superior to 5. Dean, and the girl from the same town (cant remember her name) actually annoyed the hell outta me the whole game.[/QUOTE]

I believe you mean Jude not Justin ;). Anyways I feel that WA5 is just a more complete, well put together game. So far the puzzles have been much better. Even though Dean and Rebecca might've annoyed you (they didn't bother me) there's more variety among the cast. In fact the trio of Dean, Rebecca & Fiona remind of the trio of Skies of Arcadia. The cut scenes weren't these talking cardboard cutouts but instead actually animated. The world map is a real one, ya know, "walk around and find stuff" instead of this cheap point n' click thing. Lastly I liked the ending to WA5, it was one of the better endings I've seen in awhile.

[quote name='Erad30']Cloud is a whiny emo, though not nearly as much as Squall/Leon in FFVIII[/QUOTE]
That's the only thing people seem to remember about Cloud from the original game (though I don't know where you're getting the "whiny" from; he's arrogant if anything, especially early on). This is why we got All-Emo-All-The-Time Cloud in Advent Children.

The original FFVII Cloud I know is dorky, a bit fucked up in the head, and otherwise fairly normal.

[quote name='willardhaven']While IX is my favorite too despite its terrible ending, VII is a great game. I understand that it's a popular game, which makes it easy to criticize, but the gameplay is smooth and the graphics are well done for its time.

Dragon Quest IX is great so far (much faster than the clunky VIII). My only complaint is the NPC sprites. I don't like having nice rendered "important" characters and cardboard cutout extras.[/QUOTE]
I liked the ending of FFIX well enough, but the final boss and the bits leading up to it were awful.

As for DQIX, that weirded me out at first, but I got used to it. It's kind of quirky in a way, like a mix of old DQ and new DQ.

[quote name='Rodimus']I believe you mean Jude not Justin ;). Anyways I feel that WA5 is just a more complete, well put together game. So far the puzzles have been much better. Even though Dean and Rebecca might've annoyed you (they didn't bother me) there's more variety among the cast. In fact the trio of Dean, Rebecca & Fiona remind of the trio of Skies of Arcadia. The cut scenes weren't these talking cardboard cutouts but instead actually animated. The world map is a real one, ya know, "walk around and find stuff" instead of this cheap point n' click thing. Lastly I liked the ending to WA5, it was one of the better endings I've seen in awhile.[/QUOTE]

you're right, i musta been thinking about Grandia when i put in justin:D. true about the point and click, i think at the time i was just tired of the world map and having to walk it to get to my next destination, maybe thats why i liked it so much more. i have not played more than an hour or so of skies of arcadia, i need to finish that game

I actually got a name wrong too. I meant Avril not Fiona. I'm tired, I just wanna go home and play Wild Arms 2, maybe have a drink :beer:

[quote name='Zmonkay']hahaha, I've also been in a bit of an RPG slump. [/QUOTE]

I think just about everybody is. There's really nothing out or coming out the rest of the year, so many of us are digging into our filler games.

Anyone else hate the "library" in RPGs?. I always feel obliged to read every single book and it's boring as hell.

Legend of Heroes I-III is very guilty of this.

I had absolutely no interest in playing Ys 7 or LoH III today. Maybe I'll get back into them next week.

[quote name='Rodimus']Anyone else hate the "library" in RPGs?.[/QUOTE]

I don't know it kind of depends on the game, sometimes I do just like walking up to book shelves and reading about the lore. But in Dragon Age and Mass Effect 1/2 I kind of just ignore the Codex, not sure why; I guess I'd rather understand the world myself than have a bunch of text try to explain it all to me.

Maybe it is because I feel like I have more of a role in WRPGs so I feel less inclined to understand the back story, whereas JRPGs have static characters so I'm more interested to understand why those characters act the way they do since I'm merely watching them rather than having the character represent me.

[quote name='2DMention']I think just about everybody is. There's really nothing out or coming out the rest of the year, so many of us are digging into our filler games.[/QUOTE]
Well, there's a couple of upcoming RPGs I'm definitely getting this fall (Etrian Odyssey III and Rune Factory 3), but yeah, seems like most all of the heavy-hitters for this year have come out already.

I'm actually psyched for DKC Returns and other non-RPGs on the way. Mario Sports Mix (by Square-Enix) and the new Zelda both look better than any RPG coming out.

I'm looking forward into digging into my RPG backlog this winter. So far I have:

Lost Odyssey
Mass Effect
Fallout 3
Rogue Galaxy
Suikoden V
Stella Deus
Breath of Fire Dragon Quarter
DDS 2
Paper Mario Thousand Year Door
Star Ocean 2
Suikoden (only $3 right now!)

I'm think I'm pretty set for a while...