RPG Thread VII is a Spoony Bard

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hated Phantom Brave (though I loved the art, story and setting). I just couldn't come to grips with the leveling and character building system.

"The Wii version gives you an additional story mode, new game plus, an array of new playable special characters (Not necessarily new, mind you, but existant characters you couldn't play as before), and some new pseudo-plot events at the end of the normal game.

It then has less relevant bonuses like additional information for random dungeons and new weapons which are kind of neat (And only exist in Another Marona).

The new story mode, while shorter than the normal game, is indeed worth playing provided you've seen the normal storyline at least once. It's surprisingly difficult if you do it first, and you can new game plus out of it. The plot isn't as good there, in my opinion, but it does perk up towards the end."

Also only the first print of PS2 Phantom Brave comes with soundtrack

[quote name='willardhaven']I hated Phantom Brave (though I loved the art, story and setting). I just couldn't come to grips with the leveling and character building system.[/QUOTE]
Everything about Phantom Brave was fantastic for me (even the voice acting!) except the battle system. No grids, which meant characters sliding every which way and lots of fiddling with attacks and spells.

Phantom Brave and Makai Kingdom are among the very small number of RPGs I've sold or otherwise gotten rid of.

I re-bought phantom brave for the wii (I still have the PS2) and it seems really screwy as far as widescreen presentation; even though the Wii is set to 16:9 the game is obviously designed for 4:3 only.

That kind of pulled me out of the experience a little bit. Putting in 2 hours, forgetting to save, and dying pulled me out completely though.. hah.

Phantom brave is so much deeper than the other NIS games though.. i forgot how much there was to it.

Only NIS rpg I've really played is Disgaea, and while I really like the battle system, characters, and art style, the rediculous grind totally kills these games for me. There is little I hate in gaming more than grinding, and it seems these games are designed to be 200+ hrs of grinding. I know most of it is relegated to the postgame nonsense (really, how many levels can they get to, lol?) but even in the main campaign I stopped halfway through due to not feeling like grinding the characters anymore.

[quote name='voltanis99']Just can't seem to get into FF XIII. Just got into the pulse section of the game.[/QUOTE]I'm very different when it comes to FFXIII. I can see why some may not like it, but I just really enjoyed the game. Yeah it was super linear, lacked towns, and the soundtrack wasn't as good lacking Umetesu(sp). I still enjoyed it a lot because I found the characters extremely likeable (most likeable since a Kingdom Hearts/FFX game), story was still good (even if confusing), soundtrack was still good, battles were VERY fun, crystarium was an awesome skill setup, battles were innovative/fun, etc. Its awesome graphics and the true feel of Final Fantasy (like during the opening scene and during various scenes going back to Snow/Serah were so awesome. I did occasionally get frusted during some battles and some areas dragged on (because the dungeons were long). I still found the dungeon design good and not repetitive (which is my issue with most JRPGs which tend to just be a maze). Easily my favorite FF since X (only one I even liked in-between was Crisis Core).

[quote name='Erad30']FFVII IMHO is one that really hasnt aged well and it has a lot of story issues that for some reason people ignored (Sepiroth isn't a badass, he's a wussy mama's boy, Cloud is a whiny emo, though not nearly as much as Squall/Leon in FFVIII). I much prefer IX that's still my personal fave FF.[/QUOTE]I still really like FFVII (still my favorite game of all time). I still find the characters awesome, soundtrack is awesome, battles are fun, best use of limit breaks, materia system was great, towns/locations were great, and so much more.

I will admit it does have some aging issues, but that's understandable. When FFVII came out (I played it very close to release), its graphics were beyond amazing because I could not believe I was finally play an RPG in 3D (none before it were true 3D like FFVII). No game mixed FMV and real time anywhere near as well. Its controls may feel a bit stiff now, but at the time it came out there were no analog sticks on the PS controller. And lastly, while the translation wasn't that great when looking back at it now, most every RPG released before FFVII would make the translation of FFVII seem pretty good. Translation starting to greatly improve throughout the PS1 lifecycle. I really want FFVII remade more than any other game because its definitely a game that can be the greatest utilizing improvements made to RPGs released afterward (mostly smoother controls, more detailed graphics, and able to do more with the audio).

[quote name='KillerRamen']
100915_blog2_02.jpg

Disgaea 4 for Playstation 3! :whee:
http://www.siliconera.com/2010/09/16/disgaea-4-details-leaked-by-bic-camera/[/QUOTE]I'm beyond excited. I

TMK, I always wonder how you manage with your backlog. It seems like you buy a lot of games on a regular basis.

Just made it to the third stratum in Etrian Odyssey II. Two technical issues I've been having so far:

- This seems to be a bug. Sometimes, when I go back to an old map, I'll notice that a border line will be missing here and there. It's not as annoying as it would be if Event or Trap icons randomly disappeared *knocks on wood*, but still.
- Some parts of the Labyrinth lag really badly when I move through them. I have never seen such bad, or such noticable, lag on a DS game before.

Aside from those things, it's really good overall and, in general, I like the changes and improvements.

I don't think I could beat the boss of the second stratum (level 10?) on Etrian Odyssey 2. Loved the game, though. I wanted to be good at it.

[quote name='The Mana Knight']Easily my favorite FF since X (only one I even liked in-between was Crisis Core).[/QUOTE]
I really don't care that much for FFXIII but it was ok, but I'd agree with you up to the mention of Crisis Core (I found that game horribly boring). Final Fantasy X is the last FF game that I actually enjoyed.

[quote name='blueshinra']TMK, I always wonder how you manage with your backlog. It seems like you buy a lot of games on a regular basis.[/QUOTE]
Man I'm guilty of that too, haha. I keep telling myself I'm not gonna get another game until I manage to beat one of the ones that I own... but that never seems to happen. :cry: Hopefully I can beat Dragon Age Origins and Halo Reach soon and then I'll feel a little better. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='icebeast']I really don't care that much for FFXIII but it was ok, but I'd agree with you up to the mention of Crisis Core (I found that game horribly boring). Final Fantasy X is the last FF game that I actually enjoyed.[/quote]I really liked both personally. Being a big FFVII fan is what made me love Crisis Core, and I loved the battles and story. It was my favorite of the FFVII complication although I was into Advent Children a lot (I thought DoC wasn't as bad as what some said, not not exactly great either). After FFX, I did enjoy FFTA on GBA (although I don't really count it). FFX-2 was better than most, but I was quite disappointed when I played it. Crisis Core was my favorite since X, until FFXIII came along. I dunno, FFXIII just feels so much like X, although a bit more linear and no world map selection. I did wish FFXIII at least had a world map (point and click) allowing you go to back to places. Oh well, I agree to disagree. :D

[quote name='willardhaven']I'm excited to try Etrian Odyssey III as it will be my first title in the series.[/QUOTE]Despite how big of an RPG fan I am, I never played an Etrian Odyssey. I mostly avoided due to not being big into heavy dungeon based games. If I didn't have so many games coming out, I'd probably just go ahead and buy it since I really want to try it out.

[quote name='panzerfaust']I think if you remove nostalgia from the equation, FFXIII's soundtrack is one of the best out there. Up there with FFX and SOTC.[/QUOTE]If I were comparing the soundtrack to all other RPGs released not FF, I'd rank it towards the top.
[quote name='blueshinra']TMK, I always wonder how you manage with your backlog. It seems like you buy a lot of games on a regular basis.[/QUOTE]I admit I buy way too many. I just love the genre so much, and whenever I see a new one come out I want to buy it.

What I do to manage my backlog is that some RPGs I'll complete (the ones to my absolute favorite series, ones that hook me right away, or ones I see myself really liking after starting). Some of them I just play, but don't really try to complete (that's usually for a lesser RPG). Unfortunately, some RPGs just get lost in the shuffle. That happened to Persona 3, Shadow Hearts: Covenant initially (I eventually put much more time into it later, but didn't finish due to getting stuck somewhere), and others.

The great thing about EO 3 is that I get an art book which I know Ill enjoy. So if I hate the game and sell it I'll get a cool item to keep anyway.

[quote name='momouchi']My friend is looking for some SNES rpg recommendations, anybody have any?[/QUOTE]

Final Fantasy II, Final Fantasy III, Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars, Chrono Trigger, Secret of Mana, Illusion of Gaia, and Earthbound are all great games.

[quote name='panzerfaust']lol I wouldn't want an art book of a game that sucked =/[/QUOTE]
I have an Unlimited SaGa artbook, and the soundtrack, too! Didn't like what little I played of the game, but the art is awesome and the music isn't bad either.

Also, I hated Chrono Cross, but I went and bought the OST sometime after playing it because the music is that good. Not an RPG, but I also have the OST for Billy Hatcher and the Giant Egg, which is amazing; the game itself, not so much.

[quote name='blueshinra']Also, I hated Chrono Cross, but I went and bought the OST sometime after playing it because the music is that good. [/QUOTE]
i almost thought you said chrono trigger

but yeah.
chrono cross sucked
god tier soundtrack though

[quote name='kainzero']but yeah.
chrono cross sucked
god tier soundtrack though[/QUOTE]

You guys are making me sad :cry: I really liked Chrono Cross. Like I hated it the first time I played it because it wasn't like Chrono Trigger and I gave up on it, but I gave it another try and then I fell in love with it for some reason. I guess I went in with a more open mind.

I will agree that Chrono Cross has an amazing soundtrack though. Probably has one of my favorite main themes of all time with Scars of Time.

[quote name='momouchi']My friend is looking for some SNES rpg recommendations, anybody have any?[/QUOTE]

Tecmo Secret of the Stars! :D

[quote name='icebeast']You guys are making me sad :cry: I really liked Chrono Cross. Like I hated it the first time I played it because it wasn't like Chrono Trigger and I gave up on it, but I gave it another try and then I fell in love with it for some reason. I guess I went in with a more open mind.

I will agree that Chrono Cross has an amazing soundtrack though. Probably has one of my favorite main themes of all time with Scars of Time.[/QUOTE]

The nagging problem I've always had with CC is that it stuffs the cast with 30+ extremely weird, minimally developed party members and yet manages to have fewer than 10 double and triple techs. I like combination attacks in RPGs and they seemed to pass on a golden opportunity to have a boatload of them.

[quote name='Rodimus']I never played it but I always laugh at the box art. How is the game? Any good?[/QUOTE]

It's pretty awful for a late SNES-era game.

[quote name='Rodimus']I never played it but I always laugh at the box art. How is the game? Any good?[/QUOTE]

Objectively, no. It's terrible.

It's just one of those guilty pleasure games for me though, I'm sure we all have a few.

For SNES RPG suggestions, my favorites are:
Breath of Fire
Breath of Fire II
Chrono Trigger
Final Fantasy II (IV)
Final Fantasy III (VI)
Illusion of Gaia
Legend of Zelda: Lttp
Lufia
Lufia II
Secret of Mana
Super Mario RPG

There are others, but those are always the top ones that come from my head.

[quote name='icebeast']You guys are making me sad :cry: I really liked Chrono Cross. Like I hated it the first time I played it because it wasn't like Chrono Trigger and I gave up on it, but I gave it another try and then I fell in love with it for some reason. I guess I went in with a more open mind.

I will agree that Chrono Cross has an amazing soundtrack though. Probably has one of my favorite main themes of all time with Scars of Time.[/QUOTE]I liked Chrono Cross myself. Not as much as Trigger, but still a really good game. At first I hated it because I expected a game like CT. After giving the game a chance for being different, I fell in love with it. One of the best soundtracks ever IMO.

I didn't play Tecmo Secret of the Stars myself, but my best friend use to play it.

Just out of curiosity, is anyone picking up Atelier Rorona this month? I just ordered it from Gamestop.com since it comes with a nice artbook and special packaging, but I've never played any of the other Atelier games. I watched a few videos though, and it looks interesting.

I just posted how I have the game preordered. Since I'm quite upset with GameStop right now, I preordered at the NIS America store, w/ artbook and soundtrack. While I'll admit the shipping is going to suck (something like $13), having a soundtrack is huge to me. Atelier Rorona is one of my most wanted games all year.

Another vote for cc sucking, but having an amazing soundtrack. So good I even learned some of the songs on piano. I remember enjoying the game the first time I played it, but just attempted a replay about a month ago and just couldn't get into it.

[quote name='Cheska19']Just out of curiosity, is anyone picking up Atelier Rorona this month? I just ordered it from Gamestop.com since it comes with a nice artbook and special packaging, but I've never played any of the other Atelier games. I watched a few videos though, and it looks interesting.[/QUOTE]

I am, the game looks cute, and really colorful. And it sound like the plot is fairly light hearted. I'm really excited about it.

My favorite SNES rpgs are
breathe of fire
breathe of fire II
chrono trigger
final fantasy II
final fantasy III
lufia
lufia II
secret of evermore
super mario rpg

alot of people like secret of mana (meh for me) and earthbound (havent played)

Started Persona 3 Portable. First night in the hive and, well, I grinded a wee bit to get to the point I couldn't go farther. xD

[quote name='mebegod']
lufia
lufia II
secret of evermore[/QUOTE]

Glad to see some Lufia and Evermore love. Evermore was of course cheesy and quirky, but that's what made it so fun.

Terranigma is also good, but was only available in Japan/PAL regions unfortunately.

I would have say that my favorite Snes Rpgs are:

Final Fantasy IV (as in Cecil)
Final Fantasy II
Secret of Mana (Legend of the Holy Sword)
Legend of Zelda III
Chrono Trigger

[quote name='aosora13']I would have say that my favorite Snes Rpgs are:

Final Fantasy IV (as in Cecil)
Final Fantasy II
[/QUOTE]

:whistle2:s If we're talking SNES RPGs, this is the same game. Japanese II was on the Famicom.

As much as I love Chrono Trigger & FFVI ,Secret of Mana is my all time favorite SNES game. So many fond memories of playing Co-op with my brother. Music is great also. I'm currently trying to find a translated copy of Seiken Densetsu 3 (Secret of Mana 2). I've seen homebrew carts of these with the 3 player co-op hack installed. Unfortunately they cost an arm & a leg.

[quote name='bvharris']:whistle2:s If we're talking SNES RPGs, this is the same game. Japanese II was on the Famicom.[/QUOTE]

That always weirded me out. Why didn't we get II, III, and V until much later? The Final Fantasies that did come out here sold like hot cakes. No reason we had to wait until the PS era to get II and V.

[quote name='depascal22']That always weirded me out. Why didn't we get II, III, and V until much later? The Final Fantasies that did come out here sold like hot cakes. No reason we had to wait until the PS era to get II and V.[/QUOTE]

We never got II and III on NES because by that time Nintendo was ready to move to SNES. They did started the translation for FFV but it was canceled to the game "not accessible enough to the average gamer"

[quote name='62t']We never got II and III on NES because by that time Nintendo was ready to move to SNES. They did started the translation for FFV but it was canceled to the game "not accessible enough to the average gamer"[/QUOTE]

Translation: "Americans are mouth-breathing idiots."

Two decades later plenty of Japanese developers still think that.. And I suppose they're mostly right. :D

^ They tried several times to localize FFV but each time plans feel through. I guess they didn't feel like the game was marketable enough. At one point it was going to be called Final Fantasy Extreme, during that mid 90's craze when everything had the label of Xtreme!!!!

FFII was very close in coming out in the states, but the SNES was just around the corner so Square decided to scrap the project and focus on FFIV.

FFIII came out during the switch to 16-bit and FFIV would be out the following year so it never had a chance.

[quote name='bvharris']:whistle2:s If we're talking SNES RPGs, this is the same game. Japanese II was on the Famicom.[/QUOTE]

I was actually talking about the real Final Fantasy II not the remake of IV with Cecil. The actual Japanese numbering of the series. I actually liked the remake for PSP. I need to play 5 although I know that it was released on the PS1.

[quote name='aosora13']I was actually talking about the real Final Fantasy II not the remake of IV with Cecil. The actual Japanese numbering of the series.[/QUOTE]

That's not an SNES RPG though. ;)

[quote name='BlueLobstah']Glad to see some Lufia and Evermore love. Evermore was of course cheesy and quirky, but that's what made it so fun.
[/QUOTE]

If my memory serves, Secret of Evermore was made by the Hawaii branch of square and Americans were heavily involved in it's production - thats why the humor was more western and the dialog was actually pretty decent. I, personally, liked the alchemy system a whole lot - very unique. I wish they had made a sequel to that one.

The Japanese are some of the most ethnocentric people on the planet, and what they sent to the English speaking folks as Final Fantasy 2 (4 japan) shows it. We got the easy mode version of the game; stripped out commands, less difficult enemies.. they really thought English people were stupid.

[quote name='Rodimus']As much as I love Chrono Trigger & FFVI ,Secret of Mana is my all time favorite SNES game. So many fond memories of playing Co-op with my brother. Music is great also. I'm currently trying to find a translated copy of Seiken Densetsu 3 (Secret of Mana 2). I've seen homebrew carts of these with the 3 player co-op hack installed. Unfortunately they cost an arm & a leg.[/QUOTE]Secret of Mana is my favorite of the bunch, mostly because it gives me a special feeling everything I play it. Gameplay was fun, soundtrack was awesome, and just love the character designs. IMO, its the SNES game that holds up the best today. Still looks good graphically now IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back