RPG Thread VII is a Spoony Bard

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree, it defiantly holds up gameplay-wise. The story isn't as engrossing as FFVI or Chrono Trigger but the action is solid. Secret of Mana is one of a kind. I can't think any other game quite like it. (well, besides Seiken Densetsu 3)

[quote name='BattleChicken']The Japanese are some of the most ethnocentric people on the planet, and what they sent to the English speaking folks as Final Fantasy 2 (4 japan) shows it. We got the easy mode version of the game; stripped out commands, less difficult enemies.. they really thought English people were stupid.[/QUOTE]
FF4 Easytype came out in Japan before FF2 came out here...

And I don't think it was an ethnocentric thing. I don't know how old you are but RPGs back then were no where near as big as they are now. The script was handled by someone on staff who knew more English than the other staff. There was no localization team.

I wrote a blog about this awhile back, but many of our most memorable RPGs on the SNES had butchered scripts because of cart size limitation and a lack of care for the NA market.

Did it matter?
I dunno.
FF2 and SoM are some of our most loved games, and both scripts are atrocious.

Also, regarding FF2j and FF3j, I don't think Nintendo wanted to release them here because they looked too much like FF1. Keep in mind, this was an era with Nintendo's insane control over what products get on their system. That's why there's a beta version of FF2j floating around, and I remember in the days of the net when NeoDemiforce was raising money off the internet to buy the cart, hack it, and complete the translation so we can play it on NESticle.

During the NES/SNES era, RPG gamers were a rarity... you gotta remember that, and that really explains why FF5 took so long to come out here. Nintendo shoved Dragon Warrior 1 down our throats, but sales declined exponentially with each new DW release.

Before Sony's all-out marketing blitz with FF7, RPG gamers were rare. Thanks to FF7, it renewed Square's efforts to release non-FF titles here and create an RPG craze.

Arc Rise Fantasia can suck a fat one. On multiple occasions, you're going through a dungeon and without warning, much less a save point, a boss just shows up and kills you. Then you get the privilege of redoing the dungeon. I don't know if they wanted to make the game "hard" or what, but it's really asking to be shelved.

[quote name='default_shepard']Arc Rise Fantasia can suck a fat one.[/QUOTE]

That is exactly what I told my wife about the game as I was sending it back to Gamefly yesterday.

Finally got around to starting Eternal Sonata. So far it seems like it'll take me out of my RPG slump. Amazing graphics, beautiful music, kick ass battle system, and apparently unlike most people I like the characters so far (except Beat, hate little kids in RPGs) and the plot is at least good enough to keep me playing.

I enjoyed Eternal Sonata enough to play through it once it was a decent game. I just finally picked up Oblivion GOTY for 360. Had it on PC ages ago but never played any of the expansion stuff, seemed like a good deal for $30.

[quote name='Zmonkay']Finally got around to starting Eternal Sonata. So far it seems like it'll take me out of my RPG slump. Amazing graphics, beautiful music, kick ass battle system, and apparently unlike most people I like the characters so far (except Beat, hate little kids in RPGs) and the plot is at least good enough to keep me playing.[/QUOTE]
I know many don't like the game, but I really did. Played it on 360 (around half way). Then I sold it and bought it on PS3.

Eternal Sonata was a very enjoyable game (minus Polka). It definitely kept me interested, the cutscenes and graphics were beautiful, and the entire game was well done. Just be prepared for some cheap boss battles.

Etrian Odyssey III was delivered here today. The preorder artbook is really nice :D

Probably won't play the game itself for awhile, though. I'm about 1/3 - 1/2 of the way through EO2, and playing two Etrian Odysseys in a row would be kinda nuts.

I thought eternal sonata was a decent game. Boss battles weren't bad except for the last boss.

Ordered ToV. With shipping, you barely save any money.

I played it when it first came out, but the FAQ wasn't finished, so I gave up and sold it. I'd like to play it again eventually.

[quote name='Rodimus']I'm in for Alundra. One of those PSX games I always wanted to beat.[/QUOTE]I use to have both games. I will definitely re-buy them on PSN.

[quote name='Cheska19']Just be prepared for some cheap boss battles.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I've already gotten my ass handed to me a couple times in boss fights, lol.

[quote name='Rodimus']I'm in for Alundra. One of those PSX games I always wanted to beat.[/QUOTE]

Alundra is one of those games I really, really wanted to like, but just couldn't. I had to resort to FAQs more than once to figure out where to go or what to do next, cuz it just wasn't clear and sometimes I was doing the right thing, but not the right way or a couple pixels off. Definitely deserves a remake with some more modern amenities.

I guess there's still some JRPGs coming out this year.

Atlier Ronoa and Lufia for DS.

I might pick up Lufia if the reviews are good.

I'm busy with Persona 3 Portable still. Gotta stop playing it on the bus and devote some couch time to it in order to get through it though.

I don't know why I just can't get into P3P compared to P3:FES. Probably have something to do with playing Persona 4 2 times in a row not that long ago XD

Atelier Rorona sounds kind of interesting. Seems like if you like crafting in games, they've made a whole game around it. About the only game I liked crafting in was Star Ocean 1-2. It doesn't seem like it would be a very good thing to base an RPG around.

I might give it a try once I beat Ys 7 and Legend of Heroes III.

Although I'd still like to try Trinity Universe. Can anybody recommend that game?

[quote name='Zmonkay']

Alundra is one of those games I really, really wanted to like, but just couldn't. I had to resort to FAQs more than once to figure out where to go or what to do next, cuz it just wasn't clear and sometimes I was doing the right thing, but not the right way or a couple pixels off. Definitely deserves a remake with some more modern amenities.[/QUOTE]

I have to agree with this. Game is ok, but to much of it just seems random in how things where done or just don't tell you wtf is going on.

[quote name='2DMention']
Although I'd still like to try Trinity Universe. Can anybody recommend that game?[/QUOTE]
I find the game charming. Characters are good and the story is all right (nothing deep). The dungeons aren't that interesting and the battle system is a bit tedious IMO. IMO, I consider it good, but not great (like a 7 out of 10 RPG). Definitely better than Cross Edge and other crossover RPGs.

Thanks for the SNES recommendations, although I did tell him that Secret of the Stars game should be the first one he should play.

[quote name='The Mana Knight']I just completed Ventus on KH: BBS in 12 hours. Other two characters next. Definitely my favorite PSP game.[/QUOTE]

Argh, I want this so bad, but am forcing myself to finish mgs peace walker first. Don't want to play too many games simultaneously

Tales of Vesperia - I Love Symphonia/Abyss
Fable III - I never played I or II
Mass Effect 2 - Null now since it's releasing on PS3
The Last Remnant
Infinite Undiscovery
Blue Dragon

Is that enough reason to buy a Xbox360? I'm a fan of RPGs but I never owned a Xbox/360. I would never: use Xbox live, play halo, have a gamerscore at all if possible, or like that dumb controller. Am I really missing out? I have a ton of PS3/PS2/Wii RPGs in my back log to hold me for a long time, but was wondering if I should snag up a cheap 360 if I get the chance.

I can't think of any other RPG exclusives right now or even in the future. So is 4~5 games worth getting the final next gen console?

[quote name='GhostShark']Yeah, Star Ocean starts off pretty boring and bad, but it does pickup. That is, if you want to give it a chance.[/QUOTE]I actually enjoyed Star Ocean: The Last Hope a lot. Yeah some of the voiceacting is laughable, but I still enjoyed various story sequences, battles were fun, and bosses were challenging. I really like it, but I'm also a huge fan of Star Ocean: Till The End of Time which many hated (one of my favorites on PS2). I still prefer SO3 compared to the two. Only thing I didn't like was that some bosses took too long to complete and were annoying (beat the game in 44 hours, PS3 version....14 hours on 360 version when I had it).

[quote name='Kazaganthi']Tales of Vesperia - I Love Symphonia/Abyss
The Last Remnant
Infinite Undiscovery
Blue Dragon

Is that enough reason to buy a Xbox360? I'm a fan of RPGs but I never owned a Xbox/360. I would never: use Xbox live, play halo, have a gamerscore at all if possible, or like that dumb controller. Am I really missing out? I have a ton of PS3/PS2/Wii RPGs in my back log to hold me for a long time, but was wondering if I should snag up a cheap 360 if I get the chance.

I can't think of any other RPG exclusives right now or even in the future. So is 4~5 games worth getting the final next gen console?[/QUOTE]

You forgot Lost Odyssey. There's also Jade Empire and the 2 KOTOR games on the original xbox(Also available on the pc). I don't think the system's worth getting just for those games, but you might like some other 360 games.

You'd be missing out on a lot if you didn't at least make a silver xbox live gamertag and access the xbox live arcade. Plenty of good games available on there. The 2 Penny Arcade games, the 2 Deathspank games(Also on PSN) and an indie RPG called Breath of Death VII available for download, so they'd only add to your rpg count. Plus high quality games like Shadow Complex, Castle Crashers, and Scott Pilgrim vs the World all have rpg features in them.

The Last Remnant
Infinite Undiscovery
Blue Dragon

I can't think of any other RPG exclusives right now or even in the future. So is 4~5 games worth getting the final next gen console?[/QUOTE]

The prev. response had it right. You are missing out.

You also have Lost Odyssey, Mass Effect 1, and Magna Carta 2. Fable 1 and 2 are both work playing as well as upcoming 3, Jade Empire, KOTOR1 and 2. The x360 offers a lot.

You can also get a free silver XBL account for any add-ons etc, and honestly Vesperia alone is such an experience it is worth is.

[quote name='Hell Monkey']You also have Lost Odyssey, Mass Effect 1, and Magna Carta 2. Fable 1 and 2 are both work playing as well as upcoming 3, Jade Empire, KOTOR1 and 2. The x360 offers a lot.[/QUOTE]
Is Magna Carta 2 any good? Not that I need more RPGs for my backlog; just curious (plus I like the character designer's work).

I keep considering Magna Carta 2, but since I didn't like the JP demo and HATED the first one with a passion (even if different), it's tough for me to consider it.

Also, I received this today:
[IMG-C=5687]18278[/IMG-C]

whooo! I started Ys 7 today and it's awesome!!

except for the fact that there's too much story!!!

wtf it's like Adol's getting cock blocked with text boxes!!

Dug into my backlog and pulled out :ps3:Enchanted Arms. I'm about 5 hours into it so far. Graphics aren't bad; music and voice actors I could live without; battle system has a good flow but is rather simple. The story isn't anything new, but interesting enough to hold my attention so far. The characters seem sort of 2-dimensional and very Japanese.

Please tell me the annoying gay dude stays dead. Terrible voice actor.

[quote name='The Mana Knight']I keep considering Magna Carta 2, but since I didn't like the JP demo and HATED the first one with a passion (even if different), it's tough for me to consider it.

Also, I received this today:
[IMG-C=5687]18278[/IMG-C][/QUOTE]

Man, I would've pre-ordered AR if Amazon had a special edition. Get it together NISA.

[quote name='Krymner']Dug into my backlog and pulled out :ps3:Enchanted Arms. I'm about 5 hours into it so far. Graphics aren't bad; music and voice actors I could live without; battle system has a good flow but is rather simple. The story isn't anything new, but interesting enough to hold my attention so far. The characters seem sort of 2-dimensional and very Japanese.

Please tell me the annoying gay dude stays dead. Terrible voice actor.
[/QUOTE]

I remember playing Enchanted Arms on the 360. I loved it and it was quite underrated IMO. I believe you can change the voice acting in it. I'm not sure if that was exclusive to the 369, but I remember doing it.

[quote name='doodofdoods']Man, I would've pre-ordered AR if Amazon had a special edition. Get it together NISA.[/QUOTE]Actually, the special edition was exclusive to GameStop. Eh, I would not have been surprised if GameStop gave them incentive to do it since GS does that a lot. Since I didn't want to buy from GameStop and saw you could get a soundtrack online, I went ahead and preordered through NIS. Only thing that sucked was $13 shipping, but I felt a soundtrack and hard cover artbook was worth the price of not going to GS.

I was pleasently surprised by EA (granted, I went in with lowered expectations from reviews). Really liked the battle system and golem aspects of the game. Never did finish it though, cuz that last fucking boss just completely owned me, and I pretty much refuse to grind for a final boss. Mid bosses, sure, there's still a ton of content they're blocking, but final boss, meh, I'll youtube it.

Thanks for responses, I'll definitely look into Lost Odyssey and Jade Empire.

[quote name='doodofdoods']You forgot Lost Odyssey. There's also Jade Empire and the 2 KOTOR games on the original xbox(Also available on the pc). I don't think the system's worth getting just for those games, but you might like some other 360 games.

You'd be missing out on a lot if you didn't at least make a silver xbox live gamertag and access the xbox live arcade. Plenty of good games available on there. The 2 Penny Arcade games, the 2 Deathspank games(Also on PSN) and an indie RPG called Breath of Death VII available for download, so they'd only add to your rpg count. Plus high quality games like Shadow Complex, Castle Crashers, and Scott Pilgrim vs the World all have rpg features in them.[/QUOTE]

What does live offer that PSN doesn't? I really don't care about DL only games, the quality of them is really lacking imo. And by quality I mean 30min games that I'll never play again. I own Trine only, and loved it. I have the 2 deathspank demos on PSN waiting to try, will look into Breath of Death. Castle Crashers? On PSN & no thanks. Played the Scott Pilgrim demo on PSN, and I hated it, badly. Games like Double Dragon, Bad Dudes, and River City Ransom are much better, and years old.

The Last Remnant
Infinite Undiscovery
Blue Dragon

If you're looking to buy a 360, I really wouldn't say the RPG library would justify it.

I mean, are those really games you want? Or are you just listing whatever you can think of? Because Last Remnant is literally almost unplayable, and Infinite Undiscovery and Blue Dragon I hear are pretty bottom of the barrel. I have not played them, but from short demos and footage they don't seem worth your time, let alone buying a system for them.

Lost Odyssey I hear is a cool title, although with a lot of missed potential. I plan on getting it someday as well but it's easily something you can hold out on, especially if you have a growing back log.

I mean, I suppose with Fable (if you end up liking it) and Vesperia (Tales fans seem to love it), a 360 might be worth your money. I'd say that's a pretty iffy call though, but I'm not really sure what you're in the mood for right now.

Maybe find some other non-RPG exclusives you'd be interested in before diving in?

I noticed that if you have a 360, there's not much reason to get a PS3 -- and vice versa. Very similar libraries,and if you are a big shooter fan you genreally already play on a PC =p

I wouldn't bother with Xbox Live unless you enjoy online multiplayer. My 360 has never been tainted with internet connection, and that's the way console gaming should be.

And I totally agree regarding the quality of DL only games. But even if there is a good game, I gotta have that physical media. It don't mean piss if it ain't on disc!

Edit: And IMO Vesperia, Mass Effect 1+2, and Blue Dragon are reason enough to get a 360, it's cheap enough now.

The Last Remnant
Infinite Undiscovery
Blue Dragon

I can't think of any other RPG exclusives right now or even in the future. So is 4~5 games worth getting the final next gen console?[/QUOTE]I'll give you my opinion. Lost Odyssey is great and so is ToV. I didn't care for The Last Remnant despite the HDD install (and I like the SaGa team games too). As big of a Tri-Ace fan I am, Infinite Undiscovery is terrible. Blue Dragon was a game I thought I'd like, but I just didn't find it very fun. I heard it gets better in disc 2, but that's a long way to go. Still have yet to play Magna Carta.

IMO, the only two 360 JRPGs not on PS3 U.S. really worth getting are ToV (I own an import copy on PS3) and LO. Blue Dragon is cheap so its not bad of a risk, but the others just aren't worth it IMO (and I even bought them cheap). AVOID the ATLUS published RPGs on 360.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you're considering a 360 for the RPGs, I'd say it's not a bad choice.

Tales of Vesperia, Lost Odyssey, Blue Dragon, Eternal Sonata, the Mass Effects, the Fables, and the KOTORs are all good games. Out of that list, I'd say you must play Tales, LO, the Mass Effects, the and the first KOTOR to get the most you can out of the RPG lineup.

That being said, don't just buy it for RPGs. There are dozens of quality Arcade and retail titles that are great for an afternoon of fun.

I'm enjoying Star Ocean: First Departure for PSP. I didn't realize it was a complete remake using the Star Ocean 2 engine. Finally after almost a decade a Star Ocean I know I can enjoy.

[quote name='depascal22']If you're considering a 360 for the RPGs, I'd say it's not a bad choice.

Tales of Vesperia, Lost Odyssey, Blue Dragon, Eternal Sonata, the Mass Effects, the Fables, and the KOTORs are all good games. Out of that list, I'd say you must play Tales, LO, the Mass Effects, the and the first KOTOR to get the most you can out of the RPG lineup.

That being said, don't just buy it for RPGs. There are dozens of quality Arcade and retail titles that are great for an afternoon of fun.[/QUOTE]Eternal Sonata is on PS3 and has additional features. I think the one asking the question already has a PS3.

I had the game on 360 (got cheap anyway), sold it just before the PS3 release and got the PS3 version on release.

[quote name='voltanis99']About 2/3 done playing Parasite Eve for the first time[/QUOTE]
imo read a walkthrough for what to do after the last boss

because that is one of the dumbest finales ever

[quote name='kainzero']imo read a walkthrough for what to do after the last boss

because that is one of the dumbest finales ever[/QUOTE]

Haha, I remember watching one of my roommates in college try and do that part of Parasite Eve and ultimately resorting to a guide. The worst part was that save point that isn't real, that got him killed the first time forcing him to re-fight the boss, and then he died numerous more time in the maze haveing to re-fight the boss each time and then he finally just looked up what to do. If I ever decide to beat that game I will not make the mistake of even trying to figure that part out.

my only problem with Parasite Eve is the slow walking speed for Aya. Then Parasite Eve 2 tries too hard to be Resident Evil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back