RPG Thread VII is a Spoony Bard

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='depascal22']Paper Mario Thousand Year Door[/QUOTE]

I loved that game. Probably my favorite GC RPG, and I really loved Tales of Symphonia and Baten Kaitos so that is saying a lot coming from me. Kind of falls into that melancholy plot category, like there is a plot about stopping evil that wraps everything together but each part kind of feels really unique and the plot manages to usually make things not seem all that urgent.

[quote name='depascal22']
Breath of Fire Dragon Quarter[/QUOTE]

If you go into that one expecting something as awesome as BoF 3 or 4, you will be sorely disappointed. The game was an interesting experiment, but I, at least, couldn't stand it.

Is anyone playing through Kingdom Hearts: Birth By Sleep? I only got to the first save point before I stopped (was too tired to play any further), but I wanted to see what other people's thoughts on the game so far were.

[quote name='Cheska19']Is anyone playing through Kingdom Hearts: Birth By Sleep? I only got to the first save point before I stopped (was too tired to play any further), but I wanted to see what other people's thoughts on the game so far were.[/QUOTE]

Not yet, but I can't wait. Metal Gear Solid Peace Walker is tying up my PSP time now, but as soon as I'm done with that I'll be picking it up.

I'm waiting on Kingdom Hearts Birth By Sleep, 358/2 days kind of tired me out of the series; plus I know this game will be super popular which means I'll be able to pick it up for cheap later on down the road when I feel like maybe playing a KH game again.

[quote name='icebeast']I'm waiting on Kingdom Hearts Birth By Sleep, 358/2 days kind of tired me out of the series; plus I know this game will be super popular which means I'll be able to pick it up for cheap later on down the road when I feel like maybe playing a KH game again.[/QUOTE]

I'm exactly on the same boat. Besides I'm broke right now from picking up Valkyria Chronicles 1 and 2 earlier this week.

KH 358/2 Days wasn't that bad of a game. Still can't believe I picked it up on release day though

[quote name='Cheska19']Is anyone playing through Kingdom Hearts: Birth By Sleep? I only got to the first save point before I stopped (was too tired to play any further), but I wanted to see what other people's thoughts on the game so far were.[/QUOTE]
I'm having a lot of fun with it.

I've heard positive things about Birth by Sleep, and from the gameplay I've seen it looks fun. I'll end up with a copy once it drops in price. Still I wish Squenix would stop stalling the series and come out with a proper sequel.

Honestly 2 took the series in the wrong direction. The original Kingdom Hearts was better in terms of strategy blended with action. 2 was more of a button masher. I think the original Kingdom Hearts is the spiritual successor to Secret of Mana (since that series got terrible after the Japan-only third installment.

I would love to see KH 3 go back to that pure Action-RPG hybrid sans crappy platforming. Cool visuals and fancy moves do nothing for me if I feel like the game is doing all the work.

[quote name='willardhaven'](since that series got terrible after the Japan-only third installment.)[/QUOTE]

I liked Legend of Mana.
It's got a really refreshing art style, the stories are fun.

Main-story wise, I liked the Juni storyline. The system was fun too, how can you not like flashkicking people?!

I own LoM and will concede that the mini stories are fun, the graphics are awesome and the soundtrack is cool, but the combat and play control sucks. I'm comparing the play control to the 16-bit entries, which were tighter and honestly more fun.

[quote name='willardhaven']Honestly 2 took the series in the wrong direction. The original Kingdom Hearts was better in terms of strategy blended with action. 2 was more of a button masher. I think the original Kingdom Hearts is the spiritual successor to Secret of Mana (since that series got terrible after the Japan-only third installment.

I would love to see KH 3 go back to that pure Action-RPG hybrid sans crappy platforming. Cool visuals and fancy moves do nothing for me if I feel like the game is doing all the work.[/QUOTE]

Well, let's see what Nomura has in store with Versus -- gameplay footage should be right around the corner.

btw i beat dragon warrior 1 the other day.
yeah! take that dragonlord!

playing this game (emulated so i could speed it up, but yeah i have the original cartridges)... man, you guys don't know what grinding is like back then. there are even levels that tier your damage calculation! somehow i got erdrick's armor at a really early level though.

omg dragonlord so badass.

---

i also started dragon warrior 3 on the nes. (i don't like the new school versions with that weird board game and the personality system). i just got my boat and class changed my pilgrim to sage. i'm using a party of hero/fighter/fighter/sage. fighters are so broken, it's a wonder why i didn't use them before, plus they're not equipment heavy like soldiers so you have so much money left over.

there's still grinding but it's still nowhere near as bad as dragon warrior 1.

It's a great game so far IMHO, the narrative is confusing (though that might have to do with me going through Aqua's story first). The best part is that it's mostly new territory. Huge improvement over the just fairly decent 358/2 Days.

[quote name='Rodimus']I've heard positive things about Birth by Sleep, and from the gameplay I've seen it looks fun. I'll end up with a copy once it drops in price. Still I wish Squenix would stop stalling the series and come out with a proper sequel.[/QUOTE]

I'd say this qualifies as a proper sequel unless you demand it be the continuing adventures of Sora & Co. The story is just as deep and the combat is more refined and it reportedly has around 60 hours of gameplay.

My concern with BbS is that I really don't remember the stories of 1 and 2 very well (I remember 2 being fairly confusing anyway, what with Roxas and the Nobodies). Mayhaps I'll replay them (and see about picking up the PS2 Chain of Memories, which I've never played). This is why I hate RPG sequels, lol.

[quote name='Dr Mario Kart']Is there any reason to play the DC version of Skies of Arcadia over the Gamecube port?[/QUOTE]

Fairly sure if anything you are way better off playing the GC port from what I've heard (I never played the DC version), since the random encounter rate was way too high in the DC version and that was toned down and rebalanced in the GC version plus there is some extra content in the GC version.

[quote name='BattleChicken']Dang it Kain.. now i want to play through DQ 1-3 on the NES...[/QUOTE]
do it

you can even try to be baller and play the Japanese DQ on the Famicom.

oh we americans were spoiled with our battery saves
they had to write down super long passwords

[quote name='kainzero']
you can even try to be baller and play the Japanese DQ on the Famicom.
[/QUOTE]

I actually have managed to track down boxed versions of all the DQ games on Famicom/SFC (and by track down I mean buy on ebay). Probably my favorite things in my collection.

Like you, I play them through emulation though.

[quote name='Dr Mario Kart']Is there any reason to play the DC version of Skies of Arcadia over the Gamecube port?[/QUOTE]

The only feature the original DC version has over Legends is the VMU mini game. It's called Pinta's Quest and is a downloadable mini RPG. At the time it was cool, but I'd prefer the additional content added in Legends over this.

There's a couple other little things, but IMO the Legends is the superior version. For quick rundown of the differences:

- DC version is 2 discs, Legends is 1 disc
- Legends has a lower encounter rate, but you gain more EXP
- Textures in Legends are sharper, and most characters have more polys
- Music in Legends is lower quality due to packing it all on one disc.
- Hidden "Chams" in the DC version are alerted to the player by Cupil on the VMU screen and rumble. While in Legends you hear a "Pou" sound instead.
- Legends has a ton of extra content.

Started playing SRT OG: Endless Frontier on the DS (check out that title). Not quite what I expected, I'm not sure I like the simplified timing sequences of the combat. I have no idea how I am getting the cancel bonuses, and there's little to no links to the previous SRT OG games.
The fanservice is...nice, if emberassing when my wife looks over my shoulder.

I just started a new game as well: Etrian Odyssey II. After bringing over my password from the first game, I liked that I was able to change my guild's name since I wasn't too crazy about my original one.

Also love the new map icons and the additional color options for floor spaces. They have already started to make mapping so much easier.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='bvharris']I actually have managed to track down boxed versions of all the DQ games on Famicom/SFC (and by track down I mean buy on ebay). Probably my favorite things in my collection.

Like you, I play them through emulation though.[/QUOTE]
and no mention of how you played dq9 without using popular maps? ahahah. =)

speaking of which
the FREE story DLC on dq9 is awesome. probably the only reason why i'm still playing it.
oh that princess simona.
what a hateful child. =)

[quote name='2DMention']My interest on Ys 7 and Legend of Heroes III have come to a grinding halt. I'll get back to them eventually.[/QUOTE]
Hah, that sound like the Post-game grinding in DQ8 for me. Get it? The grinding came to a gr-... Eh.

In between bouts of Oblivion + FCOM, I'm writing out a story for a custom D&D 4e game for my friend's bachelor party. He's been wanting to get into 4e (he has the starter book set), but we've just never found a good time. It's been interesting so far, and I have the maps planned out decently and the encounters outlined how I want them, I just don't know how to build the characters because I don't have the rulebooks. Yet. I plan to borrow them from him.

That said...any tips on that end? They don't have to be specific for this campaign, but for DM'ing/general tips...er, in general. (Or maybe there's a thread for this and I didn't see it?)

Agh, I'm the master of using the same word in the same sentence to achieve redundancy. Hooray!

I basically haven't played much in the past week because of my licensure exam next week. Been itching to play VC2, and I also picked up KH:BBS discounted at Target yesterday

100915_blog2_02.jpg

Disgaea 4 for Playstation 3! :whee:
http://www.siliconera.com/2010/09/16/disgaea-4-details-leaked-by-bic-camera/

[quote name='kainzero']
the FREE story DLC on dq9 is awesome. probably the only reason why i'm still playing it.
oh that princess simona.
what a hateful child. =)[/QUOTE]

I can't even get it to download. My internet at home has to high security to get a connection with a DS and every McDonalds or place with free WiFi and my DS is always unable to connect. I'm getting pissed. I want my DQIX DLC!

After Disgaea 3, I thought the series was pretty stagnant. Even 2 didn't add that much compared to the first. It's a shame because Disgaea, Phantom Brave, and Makai Kingdom were downright innovative IMO. Maybe it's just nostalgia. I hope they get really creative with Disgaea 4, but on the other hand, I wouldn't blame them if they stick with a successful formula.

At least Zettai Hero Project looks very interesting.

Disgaea 3 made me kind of mad.. Part of what made Disgaea, Makai Kingdom, and Phantom Brave fun for me were the unlockable characters from other games which existed as a reward for continued play.

In Disgaea 3, they turned it all into a DLC fest.. Meh... If Disgaea 4 follows the Disgaea 3 model, I'm not interested.

I did like that Ed from fullmetal alchemist voiced the main character, though...

[quote name='default_shepard']After Disgaea 3, I thought the series was pretty stagnant. Even 2 didn't add that much compared to the first. It's a shame because Disgaea, Phantom Brave, and Makai Kingdom were downright innovative IMO. Maybe it's just nostalgia. I hope they get really creative with Disgaea 4, but on the other hand, I wouldn't blame them if they stick with a successful formula.

At least Zettai Hero Project looks very interesting.[/QUOTE]
I thought Disgaea 3 had enough interesting tweaks (the tower attacks, for example) to the system that it was made interesting. What I didn't really enjoy was the story, I thought 1 and 2's stories were much better.
That said, Phantom Brave trump all other N1 SRPGs in both categories.

[quote name='BattleChicken']Disgaea 3 made me kind of mad.. Part of what made Disgaea, Makai Kingdom, and Phantom Brave fun for me were the unlockable characters from other games which existed as a reward for continued play.

In Disgaea 3, they turned it all into a DLC fest.. Meh... If Disgaea 4 follows the Disgaea 3 model, I'm not interested.[/QUOTE]
I've never bothered to unlock a single post game character in any N1 game. It's too much work, I think. You have to go from around level 70 at the end of the game to around level 200-300 for the first unlockable character.

Even so, ChibiJosh.. they stripped out standard features from the previous NIS games and tried to sell them all to us in Disgaea 3 - that is the worst kind of DLC.

[quote name='Rodimus']The only feature the original DC version has over Legends is the VMU mini game. It's called Pinta's Quest and is a downloadable mini RPG. At the time it was cool, but I'd prefer the additional content added in Legends over this.

There's a couple other little things, but IMO the Legends is the superior version. For quick rundown of the differences:

- DC version is 2 discs, Legends is 1 disc
- Legends has a lower encounter rate, but you gain more EXP
- Textures in Legends are sharper, and most characters have more polys
- Music in Legends is lower quality due to packing it all on one disc.
- Hidden "Chams" in the DC version are alerted to the player by Cupil on the VMU screen and rumble. While in Legends you hear a "Pou" sound instead.
- Legends has a ton of extra content.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for making me want to play Skies of Arcadia: Legends :applause: I've missed that game so fucking much:bouncy:

[quote name='jab1235']hows the wild arm series, wondering if its worth picking up when it goes on sale[/QUOTE]

Each entry is a little different so people will have favorites. The series as a whole is solid, none of them are terrible games. I'm currently playing Wild Arms 2 and is probably my least favorite so far. WA5 is my favorite. Never played the PSP one. But what kind of "sale" are you talking about? All these games have been out for a while.

[quote name='panzerfaust']Damn I just watched the FFX ending and got all watery :cry:[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I gotta admit, this one gets me too. It's a good ending.

[quote name='Rodimus']Each entry is a little different so people will have favorites. The series as a whole is solid, none of them are terrible games. I'm currently playing Wild Arms 2 and is probably my least favorite so far. WA5 is my favorite. Never played the PSP one. But what kind of "sale" are you talking about? All these games have been out for a while.

Yeah, I gotta admit, this one gets me too. It's a good ending.[/QUOTE]
the psn 15th year anniversary. wild arm 1 and 2 are sapposed to go on sail at some point, looked cool to me.

[quote name='jab1235']the psn 15th year anniversary. wild arm 1 and 2 are sapposed to go on sail at some point, looked cool to me.[/QUOTE]

First I've heard of it. Kinda sucks for me since I bought WA2 a few weeks ago. The $5.99 price tag that's already on them is a great deal, so if they get discounted further then I say go for it.

The 3D battles in both WA1 & 2 haven't aged well. They're both fairly easy so no grinding. Dungeon puzzles is where the series always shines.

[quote name='Rodimus']First I've heard of it. Kinda sucks for me since I bought WA2 a few weeks ago. The $5.99 price tag that's already on them is a great deal, so if they get discounted further then I say go for it.

The 3D battles in both WA1 & 2 haven't aged well. They're both fairly easy so no grinding. Dungeon puzzles is where the series always shines.[/QUOTE]
thank you very much!

[quote name='Hell Monkey']So I take it know one here knows if there is any diff between the Wii and PS2 Phantom Brave?[/QUOTE]
Don't know if anyone here's played both (I've only played the PS2 version).

I think the Wii one doesn't come with the soundtrack CD, but there might've been some changes to the game itself. Not sure about that, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back