RPG Thread X will never be localized because you'd rather buy another generic FPS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Chrono Trigger> Suikoden> Breath of Fire >Final Fantasy > Mass Effect > Persona > Dragon Age > Pokemon > Dragon Quest > Infinite Undiscovery > Lost Odyssey > Elder Scrolls > Lufia> Star Ocean > Phantasy Star > Blue Dragon > Golden Sun >>>>>> Shadow Hearts

Expanded, at least until I got lazy.

lol I literally just discovered that I own Steambot Chronicles. I was packing up some stuff in my bookcase. I don't even remember purchasing it, hahaha.

[quote name='Zmonkay']lol I literally just discovered that I own Steambot Chronicles. I was packing up some stuff in my bookcase. I don't even remember purchasing it, hahaha.[/QUOTE]

Yet another game that's just been sitting on my shelf.

Steambot is a game I've looked at from time to time and thought about getting, but I never felt like paying $30 for it. It seems like one of those games that should be like $8 by now.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']Steambot is a game I've looked at from time to time and thought about getting, but I never felt like paying $30 for it. It seems like one of those games that should be like $8 by now.[/QUOTE]

I got it on Goozex for like 200 points. =)

I paid 30 bucks for it back in the day, I still don't regret paying that much for it. I haven't been able to come across another copy since then though.

[quote name='2DMention']I'll simplify it for ya.

JRPGs>WRPGs[/QUOTE]
Time to complicate things again! -

Mystery Dungeons/Roguelikes > SRPGs > Traditional JRPGs > Action JRPGs > Diablo/Diablo Clones > MMORPGs > WRPGs

[quote name='Ryuukishi']Lollipop Chainsaw > Turn-based JRPG > Final Fantasy Tactics > Action JRPG > WRPG >>>>> every SRPG that isn't Final Fantasy Tactics[/QUOTE]

I can't think of one action JRPG I liked.

Edit: Not counting Seiken =P

[quote name='blueshinra']Time to complicate things again! -

Mystery Dungeons/Roguelikes > SRPGs > Traditional JRPGs > Action JRPGs > Diablo/Diablo Clones > MMORPGs > WRPGs[/QUOTE]

Turn-Based RPGs >= Action RPGs/Diablo >> MMORPGs >>>> SRPGs

I'm not going to differentiate between JRPGs and WRPGs since they really aren't that different mechanically, they mostly differ in story telling.

I really don't seem to enjoy SRPGs very much, I mean I do enjoy them for a bit but never enough to beat any of them, I always get tired of them and play something else. The only SRPG I've ever finished is Valkyria Chronicles, and even that was a bit of the push because the end of that game was a bit annoying.

Lump me in the "Don't like SRPGs" crowd.

I gave Record of Agarest War the college try, but got stuck and couldn't keep playing, so I sold it.

They take too long and are very difficult and easy to get stuck in.

I still like Shining Force and Vandal Hearts, though. FFT was too tough for me when I got mobbed by mages, and I'd like to give Tactics Ogre another shot on the PSP.

[quote name='Japanese Dorito']I have never been the biggest fan of SRPGs, only ones I've enjoyed are Final Fantasy Tactics and Sakura Wars[/QUOTE]

Give Jeanne D'Arc a try. One of the most overlooked games on the PSP. It's not in FFT's class, but it's a very good game.

I'll admit, as a fan of SRPG/TRPG that it's almost always too slow. Most of the time is spent on boring and lengthy animations you can't skip. It's the main reason I don't play more of them. I actually love the system in Suikoden Tactics, but it's probably the slowest moving TRPG I've ever played. Add to that the story tied to Suikoden IV...

BTW, Warner Brothers licensed Lollipop Chainsaw for a 2012 release. Hope it comes out before the world ends.

[quote name='elessar123']I can't think of one action JRPG I liked.
[/QUOTE]
Tales of Vesperia? Crisis Core? Rogue Galaxy?

The whole SRPG genre has definitely suffered by having Final Fantasy Tactics as one of its earliest games. It's just such an ambitious and perfectly-tuned game that everything else seems to pale in comparison. Plus as a genre it's even more encased in amber than JRPGs as a whole-- witness Agarest War and other current gen games that literally have PSX-quality presentations.

Jeanne D'Arc seemed pretty decent, I'll have to go back and play more of that one.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']Tales of Vesperia? Crisis Core? Rogue Galaxy?[/QUOTE]

Didn't play Vesperia yet... I actually don't game on consoles much, and play handhelds while watching tv. Crisis Core was horrible.

[quote name='elessar123']Didn't play Vesperia yet... I actually don't game on consoles much, and play handhelds while watching tv. Crisis Core was horrible.[/QUOTE]

Do yourself a favor and play Vesperia. Fantastic game

I played Crisis Core when it first came out and enjoyed it, but I remember trying to go back and play it a while back, and found the game to be stupid

[quote name='Ryuukishi']The whole SRPG genre has definitely suffered by having Final Fantasy Tactics as one of its earliest games. It's just such an ambitious and perfectly-tuned game that everything else seems to pale in comparison.
[/QUOTE]

Sometimes games just achieve the pinnacle of their respective niche and can never be topped. There will never be a better SRPG than FFT, just like there will probably never be a better 2D platformer than Super Mario World.

I still find plenty to enjoy in lesser SRPGs though, since I appreciate their meticulous pace. Having played most of them over the years, Jeanne D'Arc is definitely in the top 5.

[quote name='elessar123']Crisis Core was horrible.[/QUOTE]

I know there are a bunch of people that enjoy that game. But I agree, I didn't really like it very much, the random elements to the battles, even to the point of psuedo-random (I'm assuming) leveling up was annoying. And after I discovered that you could hug walls to reduce combat I started doing that since battles were becoming an annoyance and since leveling up was random it didn't seem like it mattered if I did fights or not (so they seemed pointless), and after a while of that I determined if I wasn't having fun with combat I may as well play a game where I didn't mind when I got into combat.

My favorite SRPGs are Devil Survivor and Valkyria Chronicles. I guess I tend to like the less traditional SRPGs more than the regular ones (although I do like those as well).

[quote name='Ryuukishi']Yup, FFT is the Beatles of SRPGs. :)[/QUOTE]
Does that make Disgaea the Rolling Stones? :p

FFT is great, but Disgaea is far and away my favorite SRPG.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']Yup, FFT is the Beatles of SRPGs. :)

I'd be curious to know what the rest of your top 5 is.[/QUOTE]

I'll have to think about that. If we're expanding beyond traditional FFT-style SRPGs, then it would certainly include Valkyria Chronicles and Devil Survivor. If not, probably Vandal Hearts and Disgaea. Jeanne D'Arc would probably make either list though, that's how impressed I was with it.

Cool, I'll have to check out Devil Survivor, haven't unwrapped it yet but I'm on a big SMT kick right now anyway so maybe now's the time. I have Disgaea 1 and Jeanne D'Arc for PSP, was a little underwhelmed by what I played of Disgaea but I've been meaning to return to Jeanne, I was pretty impressed by what I did play of it.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']Yup, FFT is the Beatles of SRPGs. :)[/QUOTE]
If by that you mean one of the most over-rated pieces of shit ever and that the world would have been better if it never existed, then yeah, I'll agree. ;)

Although, speaking of SRPGs, I picked up the Valkyrie Profile DS SRPG a couple of weeks ago for $12. Has anyone played it? Thoughts?

Speaking of FFT, apparently War of the Lions is coming out for iPhone this week. My brother is never going to get anything done now, he already replays the PSP version 5-6 times a year. :lol:

[quote name='Ryuukishi']Speaking of FFT, apparently War of the Lions is coming out for iPhone this week. My brother is never going to get anything done now, he already replays the PSP version 5-6 times a year. :lol:[/QUOTE]

Looks like I'll be buying it this week ;)

[quote name='ChibiJosh']If by that you mean one of the most over-rated pieces of shit ever and that the world would have been better if it never existed, then yeah, I'll agree. ;)

Although, speaking of SRPGs, I picked up the Valkyrie Profile DS SRPG a couple of weeks ago for $12. Has anyone played it? Thoughts?[/QUOTE]

I've played it, though to be honest if you actually believe what you said about Final Fantasy Tactics, I'd be hesitant to recommend any SRPGs to you whatsoever. ;)

[quote name='Ryuukishi']Yeah, the slowdown is really unfortunate in War of the Lions, especially since the new translation and cutscenes are so awesome.[/QUOTE]

Probably why I didn't enjoy War of the Lions on the PSP, I just hope the controls are well on the iPod

[quote name='Halo05']Baldur's Gate on PC > everything else[/QUOTE]

End of discussion, for this man speaketh the truth!

Also, I friggin loved War of the Lions cutscenes. Why don't more games have that kind of style to them? Closest I can think is Valkyria Chronicles.

[quote name='ChibiJosh']If by that you mean one of the most over-rated pieces of shit ever and that the world would have been better if it never existed, then yeah, I'll agree. ;)

Although, speaking of SRPGs, I picked up the Valkyrie Profile DS SRPG a couple of weeks ago for $12. Has anyone played it? Thoughts?[/QUOTE]

I have that Valkyrie Profile one. It's up on my shelf. I got it from Goozex in February. Who knows when I'll get around to it.

[quote name='eldergamer']I have that Valkyrie Profile one. It's up on my shelf. I got it from Goozex in February. Who knows when I'll get around to it.[/QUOTE]

Yeah sitting on my shelf to, even after spent $10 on it at Gamestop.

I heard that game was really tough, and it was possible to get yourself into unwinnable scenarios based on what you had done like three maps ago. Didn't sound like my kind of game. :/

[quote name='Ryuukishi']I heard that game was really tough, and it was possible to get yourself into unwinnable scenarios based on what you had done like three maps ago. Didn't sound like my kind of game. :/[/QUOTE]

I read something about there being a gauge that is filled up based on the amount of damage you do (and maybe other things), and if you fill that gauge up, you get better spoils at the end of the map. Apparently as long as you keep filling those up, the game is easy (and the weapons you get for filling them up makes filling the next one up easier), but if you don't fill them up, the game gets borderline impossible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back