RPG Thread XV Will Hunt and Kill His Brothers and Absorb Their Essence

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='kainzero']depending on how difficult the japanese is, i may understand it.

it takes an hour, even with emulator speedup? this could be troublesome...[/QUOTE]

Maps are huge yo.

Of course, you can save at any time you like, so it's probably not that big of an issue.

[quote name='The Crotch']No, I meant how does the "love mechanic" differ from the support system of later games?[/QUOTE]

Depending on which characters fall in love and which characters die it'll change what characters you have later on along with their stats/class.

i tried playing in japanese.
i died on the 3rd turn and because of all the katakana names i have no idea what's going on.

looks like i'll just use the translation patch, lol

I was going to get on that train, but Xenoblaaaaaaaaade.

I'm probably not going to be able to finish this game before I go off to Alberta, though. Hope I remember what the fuck was doing when I get back.

[quote name='The Crotch']I was going to get on that train, but Xenoblaaaaaaaaade.

I'm probably not going to be able to finish this game before I go off to Alberta, though. Hope I remember what the fuck was doing when I get back.[/QUOTE]

Time to dust off that trusty 3DS or PSP.

[quote name='The Crotch']I was going to get on that train, but Xenoblaaaaaaaaade.[/QUOTE]

Agreed.

[quote name='j-cart']Time to dust off that trusty 3DS or PSP.[/QUOTE]

Cuz he's going to clean his room before he leaves?

So I switched out Shulk for Dunban for affinity purposes and it turns out that Dunban is fuckin awesome.

I kind of don't want to use anybody else ever again.

I'm not in love with Dunban, but I figure I'll go for a Shulk-Dunban-Sharla party if he turns out to be a better tank than Reyn.

Reyn's doin' pretty god damn solidly right now, though.

And fuck Riki and Melia.

He has more agility, and if you play to that strenght, he dodges a whole lot. He dishes out more damage then Reyn too. I mainly like he cuz of his auras and cuz he can break/topple an enemy on his own.

Melia is supposed to be the highest hitter in the game when controlled. I'm going to try her out next and see what that's about.

It all came from a thread I accidentally came across when searching for info on Xenoblade. Someone was making an argument of how Shulk/Reyn/Sharla was the only good combo of characters, and the counter argument was that not only wasn't it true, but it was actually one of the weakest combinations and gave examples where each of the characters abilities weren't required.

My main party was Shulk Dunban and Sharla and I think it worked fine. You will need to switch in Melia and Ricki in one or two fights (controlling Melia works better than the AI) as some later enemies and one rage inducing boss are almost completely immune to physical attacks, so you need ether fighters.

Damn I hated the end of this game. Insane, sudden difficulty spikes. Could be because I was trying to plow through though and didn't do most of the end game sidequests (the best way to level imho)

[quote name='j-cart']The extreme lack of Witcher 2 talk in here is depressing.[/QUOTE]
I'll talk about it, but I don't think you're going to like it.

I actually just finished it two days ago. Played it after hearing people rave about it for a year, since it came out on PC. I have to say I was very underwhelmed and disappointed. Let me first say that it is in no way a bad game. It's just easily one of the most overrated I've ever played. My main problem being that I didn't give two shits about any of the characters. The game could have ended with them all dying in a ditch somewhere and I wouldn't have blinked an eye. I don't know if that's because I haven't played the first game or not, but I was assured by everyone I could go into this fresh so that's not an excuse. This trickles down to every other aspect. Since I cared for no one, none of the choices mattered to me. What does it matter if I go with Roche or Iorveth? They're both boring, unlikeable people who's politics matter not to me.

Maybe it was all the hype, I don't know. Either way, I'll probably play through it one more time to see the other side of the major choice at the end of act 1 and be done with the game for good.

Some of these side missions in ME3 are getting to be pretty dry. I'm going to start skipping anything related to Cerebrus, they bore me.

And spoiler:

Shooting Kaiden felt great.

[quote name='Rei no Otaku'] I don't know if that's because I haven't played the first game or not, but I was assured by everyone I could go into this fresh so that's not an excuse. [/QUOTE]

I strictly stayed away from the sequel because people said you had to play the first to appreciate it. Weird.

Last edited by a moderator:
Combat felt clunky and looked wretched. Movement was clumsy as hell. Animation in general was awful. Juvenile "look at all these titties" feel going on (which ain't to say that you didn't get that in Mass Effect, but for fuck's sake, what's-her-name's tits were the only part of her that had actual animation). Amnesia cliché felt entirely pointless. And as ugly as it was (note: it was ugly), it ran like shit.

[quote name='j-cart']The extreme lack of Witcher 2 talk in here is depressing.[/QUOTE]

Just finished it last night. I'll have my handshake-contracted review of it up later this week. In short I loved it.

[quote name='Rei no Otaku']I'll talk about it, but I don't think you're going to like it.

I actually just finished it two days ago. Played it after hearing people rave about it for a year, since it came out on PC. I have to say I was very underwhelmed and disappointed. Let me first say that it is in no way a bad game. It's just easily one of the most overrated I've ever played. My main problem being that I didn't give two shits about any of the characters. The game could have ended with them all dying in a ditch somewhere and I wouldn't have blinked an eye. I don't know if that's because I haven't played the first game or not, but I was assured by everyone I could go into this fresh so that's not an excuse. This trickles down to every other aspect. Since I cared for no one, none of the choices mattered to me. What does it matter if I go with Roche or Iorveth? They're both boring, unlikeable people who's politics matter not to me.

Maybe it was all the hype, I don't know. Either way, I'll probably play through it one more time to see the other side of the major choice at the end of act 1 and be done with the game for good.[/QUOTE]

Playing the first one won't change a thing. It is just as overrated as the second. Both are okay, but like you I don't see why they get so much hype.

I felt the world was very well imagined in the first Witcher, and the dialogue seemed less straight forward to what I was used to. It was a wonky game in places, but meh. If the 2nd one polished things up, I'd assume it's that much better.

I haven't really interacted with the hype train, didn't know there was a very vocal one. It's a European developer, and they don't do evil DRM -- so maybe everyone just gives their games too much credit as a result.

Certainly not as nauseating as the "Buy Valkyria Chronicles" campaign, though.

Witcher 1 was just missing something. Witcher 2 somehow found what was missing and put it into thise great setting. Iorveth is just too awesome of a character to me. If anything I want a spin off where I can play as Iorveth. Rosche was pretty badass in the prologue, but to the Witcher, humans can just fuck off :) . I can understand not getting into a story, it happens (look at FF13, majority hated it, but there are those that love it).

Witcher 2's fantasy world is exactly what I have been yearning for. Currently at chapter 2 and it has been engaging. It certainly is not a game that people are use to, which I believe will throw a lot of people off.

i played the first chapter of witcher 1 because it came with my graphics card, but i didn't like it at all.

this weekend i started on FE: shadow dragon and FE4. man shadow dragon is so ugly. what happened to the neat sprite work?

i also hate it when someone dies and i have to reset =(

But that's the best part of Fire Emblem.

Also, is "wings coming out of their head" a common anime thing, or is it more-or-less Xenoblade specific? Like, I know Darkstalkers did it, but these are some big motherfucking wings.

'Cause that shit don't look comfotable.

[quote name='kainzero']i also hate it when someone dies and i have to reset =([/QUOTE]

Roll with it man.

[quote name='The Crotch']Also, is "wings coming out of their head" a common anime thing, or is it more-or-less Xenoblade specific? Like, I know Darkstalkers did it, but these are some big motherfucking wings.

'Cause that shit don't look comfotable.[/QUOTE]

Things coming out of other things is a common anime thing.

No but seriously, why is this even a thing?

I did a google search for "head wings", but most everything just links me to the song "A Head With Wings" by Morphine.

But one of the related searches is "head wings rule 34", so I guess it is indeed an anime thing.

I don't think back-wings would be much good on a regular human frame, either. Maybe you could, like, glide slighty. But you're still way too heavy for those wings and your muscles aren't meant for that shit.

But trying to head-fly would just, like... break your neck or something.

But they don't even fly with them.

Dudes walkin' around with big-ass head wings not flying and shit. All these escalators and aircraft everywhere. Whole bunch of not-flying going on.

What I primarily think of when talking about wings on the head:

rahxephon0.gif

[quote name='TheLongshot']What I primarily think of when talking about wings on the head:

rahxephon0.gif
[/QUOTE]
I think of Siren from FF8:

siren.jpg

[quote name='TheLongshot']Then there is Maester Seymour from FFX

Maester+seymour.jpg

I always wondered, what the fuck is wrong with his hair?[/QUOTE]

woah you know it looks just like the jecht insignia

images

[quote name='The Crotch']I DO NOT SEE THE EVOLUTIONARY ADVANTAGE TO HEAD-WINGS.penis[/QUOTE]
About as useful as an appendix, amirite?

[quote name='The Crotch']But they don't even fly with them.

Dudes walkin' around with big-ass head wings not flying and shit. All these escalators and aircraft everywhere. Whole bunch of not-flying going on.[/QUOTE]
you mean like chickens and flamingos?

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back