Save 26% off used games with free shipping at EBgames.com/GameStop.com

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass
Staff member
Feedback
14 (100%)
The former Cheapy Awards Best Online Retailer champion, EBgames.com, looks to return to its glory days with the upgrade of of the combined EBgames.com/GameStop.com property. One of the many new features that has been added is the ability to use multiple coupons with certain promotions. This means a CAG favorite, 26% off used games with free shipping has now returned.

Use coupon codes CAG16, SAVER, and your Edge card to receive the discounts. Please note that you must purchase at least $25 worth of items to receive free shipping.

When EB Games was acquired by GameStop, the websites no longer listed if used games included the case and manual. This is perhaps CAGs most lamented post-merger change. Although the latest site update did not rectify this issue, it appears GameStop is well aware of the problem. I've been in touch with GameStop's Vice President, E-commerce & Direct Marketing, John Brittell, who explained:
“After the site re-launch, the used game contents guarantee is our top priority. We currently don't have a systematic way to separate the stock available for the stores from the stock available for GameStop.com. We are in the process of installing a new fulfillment system that will allow us to segregate the stock, but this will not be available until early next year. In the interim, we are exploring other creative options that will allow us to guarantee the contents of at least the top selling used SKUs and hope to have this in place later this summer.

Just wanted to let you know that we share the community's concern and this is our top priority. Thanks again for passing on the feedback.”
So, it appears things are looking up for the once-favorite CAG retailer. Hopefully this site upgrade will be the start of good things to come.

If you get a game without a case and manual simply take it to your local GS and exchange it saying it doesn't work. I do that all the time and you save an additional 16% thanks to that.

Everything works (and has worked for months) fine this way on Gamestop.com; I'm pretty sure they have the same stock.

[quote name='n8rockerasu']Yeah, I have noticed this. 95% of what I've ordered from them the past 6 months has a big "R" sticker on the back, meaning it's been resurfaced. It really makes me nervous that one of the games will freeze up 10 hours in or something.[/quote]

If you order a 360 game and it seems questionable when you receive it, try installing it to the hard drive. As long as it installs the disc is readable. 2 of the 3 discs I got from the last time I ordered were questionable and after trying to install them I found one would only get to about 30% before stopping. The other installed just fine. Took the defective one to the local store and exchanged it.

[quote name='gobz']The website says:
Store:
Items may be returned by taking them to a GameStop store location in the United States. Items returned to a GameStop store location must be accompanied by the original packing list. Store return policies may vary and are subject to manager approval.

Has anyone had any problem with stores not accepting returns?[/quote]

Nope. Nothing other than groans. Usually if you're returning them because they're scratched or they lack a case and manual they'll just give you another copy so they can just do an exchange. From what I've been told making returns from the packing list takes a lot longer than from a receipt.

[quote name='RCS0926']Perhaps GS is getting a jump on some CAGs who were able to get CAG16 to work for them during the last B2G1 sale. Some CAGs already had the items they were thinking of getting for the B2G1 sale in their cart with CAG16 applied to the sale items. When the B2G1 sale started, they were able to enter the GSB2G1 code and still get the CAG16 and Edge discounts. Anyway, I hope this is the case as opposed to GS getting rid of CAG16 altogether...[/quote]

That would be me, and I think a couple other people pulled it off after. I actually have had the coupons in my cart for like 5 days now in case of a B2G1 during Gamedays, refreshed and still working for me. Odd.

[quote name='LegolasFett']If you get a game without a case and manual simply take it to your local GS and exchange it saying it doesn't work. I do that all the time and you save an additional 16% thanks to that.[/QUOTE]

Gotta watch out though...I had an employee try to charge me the difference when I was just exchanging the disc! I told him hell no and he said there was nothing he could do to help me. Went back the next day when he wasn't working and got it exchanged.

[quote name='BlizzardCyclone']Could this be an April Fools Joke?[/quote]

Yes. It fits the description perfectly of most April Fool's jokes, as in not funny.

(In an exception, I did think Cheapy's PS3 AF joke was funny though)

[quote name='Nikadimas']If you order a 360 game and it seems questionable when you receive it, try installing it to the hard drive. As long as it installs the disc is readable. 2 of the 3 discs I got from the last time I ordered were questionable and after trying to install them I found one would only get to about 30% before stopping. The other installed just fine. Took the defective one to the local store and exchanged it.
[/quote]

Great tip.

[quote name='hobbie8046']Gotta watch out though...I had an employee try to charge me the difference when I was just exchanging the disc! I told him hell no and he said there was nothing he could do to help me. Went back the next day when he wasn't working and got it exchanged.[/quote]

I suspect that this is illegal. You could probably solve it just by asking to speak to the manager.

[quote name='ninjabenja']Yes. It fits the description perfectly of most April Fool's jokes, as in not funny.

(In an exception, I did think Cheapy's PS3 AF joke was funny though)[/quote]

Why would he make an Aprils Fools joke the day before April Fools day? Its not like the 360 firmware or ps3 price increase story. this is actually believable since GS has been shafting us for years with their poor quality online used games, its bout time they actually listened

It makes perfect sense why they have almost no ps3 games in stock on the site, because blue ray disks are though to scratch so they don't receive many defective games

[quote name='Squarehard']Why would he make an Aprils Fools joke the day before April Fools day? Its not like the 360 firmware or ps3 price increase story. this is actually believable since GS has been shafting us for years with their poor quality online used games, its bout time they actually listened[/quote]

My bad, I should have added a /sarcasm or something at the end of my post.

[quote name='ninjabenja']My bad, I should have added a /sarcasm or something at the end of my post.[/quote]

Yeah, sort of hard to tell on the "internet" :bouncy::bouncy::bouncy::bouncy:

Definitely not an April Fools...I used these codes many times over the past year or so...not sure why they stopped working yesterday (they show up but have no effect).

For the record, I would say about 80% of the games I have gotten from Gamestop.com in the past year (which is ~100 games) came with real boxes and were in good condition.

FYI PPLAY15 doesn't work either which was 15% off from fatwallet I believe.

The 10% eternal coupon is not working as well.

The codes are up and working again. However, when I placed an order (this is the first time I've ordered from this site since the EBGames days) I never received an e-mail confirmation and there is nothing under my order history. I saved the confirmation page but it also said I was supposed to get an e-mail or something...

[quote name='Rozz']The codes are up and working again.[/quote]

And gamestop strikes again! CAG16 only applies to the cheapest game in your cart now. At least that's how it is coming up for me. If this is permanent then I won't be buying anymore used games from their website.

well if you order one game at a time it will give you the deduction its stupid but if this is the way it is just going to have to order one at a time

when i type in saver, it shows that is recognizes the coupon but i cant get it to work.....

update: it is working just not til your almost checked out.

No online Gamestop deal is worth the risk of getting a disc-only copy. How many months has it been since they said they would change that?

[quote name='Vegan']No online Gamestop deal is worth the risk of getting a disc-only copy.[/quote]

Not true at all. Sometimes, things pop up on the site that aren't available close to you. It's worth taking the 16% off (if it freaking works) and seeing what gets shipped out to you. If it's crud, you can return to it the nearest store. I did this when Nocturne showed up in-stock (before the reprint). I got a disc-only copy, so I just returned it. Ended up wasting a buck in a gas and few minutes of my time, but it was worth gambling, because with the 16% off, I could have potentially gotten the game for significantly cheaper than it was going on eBay, Amazon, etc.

just got resident evil 5 used for 360 for $41.57 shipped. if i dont get the case, ill talk with my friends at the local gamestop and get something worked out.

Last edited by a moderator:
This might be a dumb question, but was the CAG16 code always for just used games and not accessories? Cheapy in the OP does say 26% off used games, but then also says used items. I searched for both controller and accessories and found nothing. At any rate, the site says CAG15/16 are both for games and not acc, and I just wanted to know if it was always this way (as many people were reporting the codes not working at all recently, was hoping it was a glitch :p) I think I'll probably have to use the 10% off coupon in store. Sucks cause I finally got a 360 and we need another controller.

[quote name='Vegan']No online Gamestop deal is worth the risk of getting a disc-only copy. How many months has it been since they said they would change that?[/quote]
Thats only if you absolutely care about the cover and manual. I for one, can easily make my own cover and a missing manual is no big deal to me.

[quote name='killer9']well if you order one game at a time it will give you the deduction its stupid but if this is the way it is just going to have to order one at a time[/quote]

And what if you want to order 2 games that are both around $17.xx. Instead of getting the discount for both games and then free shipping you'll have to pay shipping twice. It's just dumb. The way they had it before was better.

[quote name='metalgearray']My in-store activated Edge Card (not the $2 deal) still isn't working.[/quote]

That's just odd. Call them up I guess. Mine has been working fine since June of last year when I got it.

[quote name='DarkZion']Thats only if you absolutely care about the cover and manual. I for one, can easily make my own cover and a missing manual is no big deal to me.[/quote]

I ordered Excite Truck and Sonic Heroes online, and ET came in a generic black case with no manual. Still, I don't really care since I don't plan on selling the game anyway. It's too much fun. :lol:

[quote name='DarkRider23']And gamestop strikes again! CAG16 only applies to the cheapest game in your cart now. At least that's how it is coming up for me. If this is permanent then I won't be buying anymore used games from their website.[/quote]

I can confirm this as well. It looks like GS is only allowing you to use CAG16 on one game at a time. That sucks.

[quote name='RCS0926']I can confirm this as well. It looks like GS is only allowing you to use CAG16 on one game at a time. That sucks.[/QUOTE]
Yeah its only letting me apply it to one game at a time.... Really sucks. especially since you can only use SAVER for over 25....

Does anyone know if this is permanent?

Isn't there another code pply15? or something like that, i wonder if that works for everything in the cart.

pplay15 doesnt work at all nor does CAG15. CAG16 works but only on lowest priced game. I'm dealing through painful email with gamestop and they keep saying coupon codes dont stack with edge. I then showed them CAG16 and Edge stacking but CAG16 only working on one game. I'm still waiting on a reply.

Well after about 15 emails back and forth they have stuck with the reply that "Nothing should stack with the Edge card" or "Make your order then after that we will apply discount if it seems fit". Hopefully they fix their site else I'll be looking elsewhere for used games online as I would be better off going to the store and getting one with a case and manual and a disc i can inspect.

does anyone know if you can use store credit on gamestop.com?

and usually you can get the case and manual from the store if you get a disc only copy right? although that might be YMMV

[quote name='pureheat101']does anyone know if you can use store credit on gamestop.com?

and usually you can get the case and manual from the store if you get a disc only copy right? although that might be YMMV[/quote]
yes you can use store credit on the website

I'm not sure if this is old news or not, but earlier this morning, the site allowed me to order a 20GB ps3 with cag16 attached to it.

[quote name='yuffiestrife']I'm not sure if this is old news or not, but earlier this morning, the site allowed me to order a 20GB ps3 with cag16 attached to it.[/quote]

Dell has a better price on a brand new 80GB... 399 - 20% = 319 shipped and if you use Dell DPA then brings it to like 308ish.

[quote name='DanTheMiataMan']Dell has a better price on a brand new 80GB... 399 - 20% = 319 shipped and if you use Dell DPA then brings it to like 308ish.[/quote]

True, but most people don't have dell store credit. And you would be crazy to want an 80 over a 20.

bread's done
Back