Save Up to 60% on Anime TV & Movies + Spotlight Deals @ Amazon.com (Expires 7/26/10)

WTK

CAGiversary!

The Spotlight Deals this time include 36 pages of stuff including previously mentioned FUNimation releases. It also includes AnimEigo, Bandai / Honneamise, Geneon (incl. FUNi distro), Manga Ent., Media Blasters, Sony Pictures Home Ent., and Viz Media titles.

Here is the LINK to just the Blu-ray titles.

And here are some titles to throw out that people might have missed...

Last edited by a moderator:
Last edited by a moderator:
Like I posted in the BB thread, I picked up:

School Rumble Complete
xxxholic Set
Tenchi Muyo Tyo Ohki! Set
Peach Girl set

This will clear up some series that are taking up a lot of shelf room with single volumes. :)

Lots of great prices, thanks op.

I'm still thinking about what to buy. I already have a lot of the sets I'm interested in. Maybe I should get a second School Rumble set for spreading the gospel...

Jesus christ why did amazon have to do this massive awesome sale a day after i get back into anime?

so far i put full metal alchemist S1 and S2, DBOX 1 and gunslinger girl 1 and 2 in my cart, anything else worth picking up? im thinking about putting basilisk and full metal panic second raid in my cart

glad i didn't drive 25 + miles to the nearest BB to get School Rumble S1&2 and Witchblade BR. again, a lot of great prices. but, I still perfer the normal large boxsets over slim designs.

I'm in for Case Closed season one for 13.99. I love that show and it's the last boxset I need. It's a shame we will probably never see more episodes dubbed, but meh.

Holy crap that's a good price on the School Rumble set!!! I have a $25 amazon gc coming in the next 4 days so I'll snag that once it comes.

i made my cart too big LOL around 300 at check out i need to drop some weight

should i get gunslinger girl S1 + 2 on blu-ray or full metal alchemist S1 and S2?

[quote name='styl3s']i made my cart too big LOL around 300 at check out i need to drop some weight

should i get gunslinger girl S1 + 2 on blu-ray or full metal alchemist S1 and S2?[/QUOTE]

FMA all the way. Gunslinger girl S1 is very solid but S2 was definitely weaker

[quote name='styl3s']i made my cart too big LOL around 300 at check out i need to drop some weight

should i get gunslinger girl S1 + 2 on blu-ray or full metal alchemist S1 and S2?[/QUOTE]
Fullmetal Alchemist, it's not even a contest.

I know a lot of people like Gunslinger Girl, but I didn't think it was so great. FMA is pretty much loved by everyone.

-Edit-
Does anyone know if FMP The Second Raid dvd remastered is worth getting if you already have the non-remastered set?

ok FMA it is

Now should i jump on samurai 7 and samurai champloo for 29.99 and 32.99 or get gunslinger slinger girl 1+2 and DBOX1 (im getting DBOX 2 and 3 from BB today, BB is sold out of samurai 7)

sorry for all the questions just getting back into anime and trying to build up a collection but don't wanna spend too much

[quote name='lilman']Fullmetal Alchemist, it's not even a contest.

I know a lot of people like Gunslinger Girl, but I didn't think it was so great. FMA is pretty much loved by everyone.

-Edit-
Does anyone know if FMP The Second Raid dvd remastered is worth getting if you already have the non-remastered set?[/QUOTE]No, it's not worth it to pick it up. In fact, it's actually missing the bonus material from the original set. See here.

Also, damn you Amazon for making me think about spending money when I shouldn't!

[quote name='styl3s']ok FMA it is

Now should i jump on samurai 7 and samurai champloo for 29.99 and 32.99 or get gunslinger slinger girl 1+2 and DBOX1 (im getting DBOX 2 and 3 from BB today, BB is sold out of samurai 7)

sorry for all the questions just getting back into anime and trying to build up a collection but don't wanna spend too much[/QUOTE]

Samurai 7 and samurai champloo spank both Gunslinger girls as well

[quote name='styl3s']Now should i jump on samurai 7 and samurai champloo for 29.99 and 32.99 or get gunslinger slinger girl 1+2 and DBOX1 (im getting DBOX 2 and 3 from BB today, BB is sold out of samurai 7)[/QUOTE]

Samurai 7 and Champloo, no question. Gunslinger Girl (especially season 2, which sucks) stands *no* chance against either of them.

little more expensive then i thought so i dropped DBOX1 and picked up Full Metal Alchemist S1+S2 and Samurai 7 BR and Samurai Champloo BR came out to around 120$, price to pay to build up a new anime collection

thanks for all the input guys these sets should keep me busy for awhile

[quote name='Rob26Smith']are the blu rays on some sets worth it or there isn't much improvement over the dvd releases?[/QUOTE]
Good question, but the price isn't all that much different on to go from DVD to Blu-ray. I noticed the price difference for Witchblade Blu-ray is only like .50 cents more in price.

Gonna pick up Fate Stay Night from Amazon, checking into some others I might pick up. Was looking at the Slayers 1-3 Box set for 29.99, anyone know if that's a good purchase? I've never watched an episode of it.

[quote name='Rob26Smith']are the blu rays on some sets worth it or there isn't much improvement over the dvd releases?[/QUOTE]
I can vouch for claymore and full metal alchemist brotherhood, i havent seen samurai 7 or samurai champloo but i heard both sets have excellent transfers

most may not be vast improvements but they still will look better then the dvd counter parts

[quote name='SeanAmI']I believe Claymore and Champloo are both upscales[/QUOTE]

they are but if you don't have the DVD's the blus are the ones to get. Samurai Champloo unfortunately was Funi's worst job at upscaling. It's about on par with the DVD in reality, however the lossless audio makes up for it. Claymore looks a pretty decent step up from the DVD's so it's a no brainer there.

[quote name='SeanAmI']I believe Claymore and Champloo are both upscales[/QUOTE]
Samurai Champloo is 1080p using AVC codec with an average 18mbps, its far better then upscale, claymore although not the best blu-ray on the market and 1080i it does have an average bitrate of 22mbps, it's one the weaker anime blu-rays but looks better then the dvd counter-part, even on a 1080i up scaler

the big misconception with blu-rays is people think because X blu-ray has a poor transfer like claymore it still looks better, looks more crisp and well worth the 26.xx BB is selling it for, ive yet to run into a blu-ray that looks worse or the same as the DVD, even dog soldiers (which is possibly one of the worst blu-ray transfers) still looks better then the dvd in an upscaler.

if you are looking for anime blu-rays that look mind blowingly better you are out of luck because most arent, the best anime blu-ray series i have seen is FMA:brotherhood, it's hard to make anime (cartoons) look insanely better like an actual movie or cg but still worth buying

[quote name='wormraper']they are but if you don't have the DVD's the blus are the ones to get. Samurai Champloo unfortunately was Funi's worst job at upscaling. It's about on par with the DVD in reality, however the lossless audio makes up for it. Claymore looks a pretty decent step up from the DVD's so it's a no brainer there.[/QUOTE]
Disagree it's far better then the DVD and it's one of funimations best transfers, Dragonball Z Kai is probably the worst transfer followed by claymore

here is an excerpt of the blu-ray review of champloo

"If you're at all concerned about the visual upgrade on this release, let me be the first to calm your fears and assure you this is the best Samurai Champloo will likely ever look. The limitations of the source material hold it back from earning top marks, but I can't imagine many fans will be disappointed with the quality of the transfer."

Even DBZ Kai blu-ray looks better then the DVD, the thing is if you already own the DVD versions of these blu-rays there really is no point in upgrading to blu-ray unless you want that extra "bang", if you can get the BR set of the dvd you already own for cheap go for it

Here's an interesting note for those interested in DBZ Kai:

DBZ Kai Part 1 DVD: $21.49
DBZ Kai Part 1 Blu: $24.99
Part 1 + Part 2 Pre-order DVD: $48.48 ($10 off)
Part 1 + Part 2 Pre-order Blu: $53.98 ($12 off)

[quote name='styl3s']Disagree it's far better then the DVD and it's one of funimations best transfers, Dragonball Z Kai is probably the worst transfer followed by claymore[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't say far better. At least in the case of Samurai Champloo, the upscaled Blu-Ray isn't much better than the DVD in the video department, as this comparison shows:

http://comparescreenshots.slicx.com/comparison/24906/picture:7

I think DBZ: Kai looks really good though.

[quote name='Squall835']I wouldn't say far better. At least in the case of Samurai Champloo, the upscaled Blu-Ray isn't much better than the DVD in the video department, as this comparison shows:

http://comparescreenshots.slicx.com/comparison/24906/picture:7

I think DBZ: Kai looks really good though.[/QUOTE]
blu-ray.com disagrees, the PQ is better then the DVD, the picture pops alot more, and DBZ kai is not that good

[quote name='mitnosi']Good question, but the price isn't all that much different on to go from DVD to Blu-ray. I noticed the price difference for Witchblade Blu-ray is only like .50 cents more in price.

Gonna pick up Fate Stay Night from Amazon, checking into some others I might pick up. Was looking at the Slayers 1-3 Box set for 29.99, anyone know if that's a good purchase? I've never watched an episode of it.[/QUOTE]

i'm not asking because of the price, i already own some of these on dvd and i wanted to know if it's worth going to blu ray. anybody know the transfer of basilisk to blu ray? that's one of my favorite animes.

[quote name='styl3s']blu-ray.com disagrees, the PQ is better then the DVD, the picture pops alot more, and DBZ kai is not that good[/QUOTE]

Have you read that review? The reviewer even states that he hasn't compared the Blu-Ray to the DVD. Yes, the Blu-Ray is an upgrade, but it't not the massive improvement over the DVD you're claiming it is. The Blu-Ray is definitely a smart choice for anyone who doesn't already own the DVDs. As for Kai, it looks pretty damn good for a show of its age.

Bought "The Law of Ueki: The Complete Series" for $34 shipped. Its 51 episodes in 12 or 13 discs, saw the first episodes and liked it enough, and at that price is quite good.

On the fence on a lot of those as Amazon hasn't matched fully some of Best Buy's prices (like Ouran and FMA:B on Blu). Dragon Ball Kai is totally worth it if you are a fan, its much faster and better for it, loved the first set.

I, and many others, consider the Samurai Champloo Blu-ray upscale to actually be *worse* than the original DVD release, mainly because a lot of detail in the backgrounds has been completely lost during Funimation's filtering process.

[quote name='shrike4242']For anyone that is looking at the Samurai 7 box set, BestBuy.com has it online for $19.99:

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=266386

Even shipped and with tax, it should still be cheaper by at least a few dollars. In-store pickup would take care of that if it's available at your local store.[/QUOTE]

It's not available for shipping, so in-store pickup is your only option.

[quote name='Kirin Lemon']I, and many others, consider the Samurai Champloo Blu-ray upscale to actually be *worse* than the original DVD release, mainly because a lot of detail in the backgrounds has been completely lost during Funimation's filtering process.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, the Geneon DVD release looks the best. If they're only comparing the Blu-Ray with the FUNimation DVD release, I can see why they'd say it's better.

[quote name='B:L']Yeah, the Geneon DVD release looks the best. If they're only comparing the Blu-Ray with the FUNimation DVD release, I can see why they'd say it's better.[/QUOTE]

Funimation's DVD release is the exact same seven discs as the Geneon release. Quality hasn't been lost, since they didn't re-author them onto four discs like they have with some of their other shows.

Damn it! So many good sales going on!!!!!!!!!! AAAHHHHHHHH! LOL :whistle2:D My wallet broke already... :whistle2:( Want to get DB Season 3 & Season 4, Fusion/wrath steelbook & Android 13/Bojack Steelbook from the amazon sale... got DBZ Box 2 & 3 from BB's sales.... Damn it!!!!! :whistle2:D Good thing they end towards the end of the month... :whistle2:D

[quote name='Greenboom98']Damn it! So many good sales going on!!!!!!!!!! AAAHHHHHHHH! LOL :whistle2:D My wallet broke already... :whistle2:( Want to get DB Season 3 & Season 4, Fusion/wrath steelbook & Android 13/Bojack Steelbook from the amazon sale... got DBZ Box 2 & 3 from BB's sales.... Damn it!!!!! :whistle2:D Good thing they end towards the end of the month... :whistle2:D[/QUOTE]

No kidding. I've already picked up Heroic Age and Samurai 7 from Best Buy, I'm really tempted to get Gunslinger Girl as well, but I may wait a bit on that.

No prob. They also have the first season of Naruto (also uncut) for the same. I've yet to see either, despite their popularity, but my anime backlog is overflowing already so I may have to pass

If I had the money and had not just bought a used Ps3 controller and Trinity Universe today, I would totally be all over that Kenichi Season 1 for $26

Man, when is Berserk going to be put on BD? I'm tempted on Blood since that's the lowest its ever been, but the original DVD was already a great transfer.

The sound has been noticeably better on every BD set I've gotten.

I might pick up Ghost in the Shell:SAC season 1 for $25. Does anyone know if they're planning a Bluray release? I'm actually considering picking up the Bluray of Witchblade even though I picked up the entire set on DVD from Rightstuf a while back.

[quote name='Masterkyo']I will not buy anything till thursday this week. Looking forward Kyo Kara Maoh Season 1 & 2 :)[/QUOTE]

Just finished Season 2 of Kyo Kara Maoh last night. It was REALLY good :)

I ordered a couple things from right stuff and I have no idea WTF USPS is doing with it.

Out for Delivery or Available at PO Box, July 06, 2010, 9:20 am, MONTGOMERY, AL 36116
Sorting Complete, July 06, 2010, 8:50 am, MONTGOMERY, AL 36116
Arrival at Post Office, July 06, 2010, 5:36 am, MONTGOMERY, AL 36116
Processed through Sort Facility, July 03, 2010, 3:17 am, ATLANTA, GA 30369
Processed through Sort Facility, July 01, 2010, 7:44 am, DES MOINES, IA 50395
Electronic Shipping Info Received, June 30, 2010
Shipment Accepted; June 30, 2010, 4:03 pm, GRIMES, IA 50111

Suppose to be sent to Georgia.

bread's done
Back