Sbarro prepares to file for bankruptcy!!!

Good riddance.

I've tried eating at various Sbarro's locations over the years, and I've found they all have one thing in common--their food is universally gross.

I haven't been in one since I was a kid so I have no idea how much they cost now. It is a good place when you went to the food court and want something other than chinese or McDonald/Burger King. Given the problems Malls across the country are having, I guess it is even hard for them.

[quote name='Spacepest']Good riddance.

I've tried eating at various Sbarro's locations over the years, and I've found they all have one thing in common--their food is universally gross.[/QUOTE]

Dominoes, Pizza hut, Papa Johns and LC are interchangable in that sentence. Sadly all the small local pizza places aren't that very good either. Bronx Pizza used to be good but it became a tourist trap and the quality took a dive.

There are a lot of local pizza places around here which are really good, and competitively priced. 2 slices of buffalo chicken pizza and a can of soda for 3 bucks.. such a great deal. I like Sbarro's but not for the price especially given the cheaper / better quality options around.

This thread takes me back to the Mortal Kombat 2 arcade days. A few friends and I used to head to a local mall a few times a month for some MK2 and Virtua Fighter and we would always eat at Sbarro. I remember loving the pizza back then but I haven't eaten there in probably 15 years.

[quote name='62t']I haven't been in one since I was a kid so I have no idea how much they cost now. It is a good place when you went to the food court and want something other than chinese or McDonald/Burger King. Given the problems Malls across the country are having, I guess it is even hard for them.[/QUOTE]

The mall here had a Wendys that closed because it didn't get enough customers... our Sbarros also closed a few years ago though. We're down to Taco Bell that is 1.5x regular price, bad chinese, a hotdog place and a mrs fields/pretzel time.

[quote name='dmaul1114']There's lots of good pizza joints. Just none of the national chains are great. They're just often more convenient (they deliver) and cheaper than the local joints.

But if you're in a city there are tons of great pizza places around if you can find them. They just tend to be pricier and either don't deliver or are too far away to deliver to your residence as they only have 1 location etc.[/QUOTE]

I will have to agree to disagree. Where I live (well the city of hazleton), there are a fuckton of Pizza joints. Now granted they can't do the $5 medium Dominos deal but for $7-10 you can get a large one topping that is fucking huge and is way better than that crap at Dominos. I don't know how it is elsewhere but usually you are paying extra for a way better pizza.

Funny thing is I never even knew this chain Sbarro's existed. I guess there are none around PA. Either way I guess I am kinda glad too seeing the rave reviews of it here :lol:.

Well I'm talking major cities--I live in Atlanta.

Does that place you mention deliver though? That's the key for me. I mainly only eat pizza when I'm at home and don't want to cook and don't feel like going out for carryout.

The local places have MUCH better pizza and are definitely worth the extra money. But here the majority don't deliver, and the few that do only deliver in like a 2 mile radius and I'm out of the area of most of them despite living in midtown with a ton of restaurants around (mostly trendy places though, so no Pizza joints close buy besides the chains).

I did just find out that one local place (well a regional chain at least--Mellow Mushroom) started delivering. So I may order from them sometimes as it is damn good pizza compared to the national chains.

That said, it's not a cheap one. Specialty pizzas are around $13 for a 10", $20 for a 14" and $24 for a 16" pizza. A cheese pizza is $7.50, $10.99 and $13.99 for those sizes. Adding toppings to that to make your own is $1.25, $1.75, $2.25 per toppping based on the size. So you're looking at $16.24 for a large 1 topping pizza.

The other local places I've found with good pizza are buy the slice places, mostly wood fired gourmet places, and they're around $5 a slice for the most part. But damn good pizza.

I don't mind paying for good pizza--especially since I mainly like woodfired pizzas, gourmet pizzas etc. rather than a standard NY style pepporoni pizza as I don't really like floppy crusts or marinara sauce much, and they're often too greasy. But I end up with Papa Johns a lot as it delivers and it cheaper than the other places I usually go, and I can go with their spinach alfredo pizzas to avoid the red sauce and grease.

[quote name='JStryke']This. I used to love Sabarro's as a kid, but because of their prices, going out of business isn't really all that surprising. For price, before I moved, there was a local Brother's Pizza (not sure how big of a chain they are), that had two large slices and a drink for iirc, $4.75.[/QUOTE]

Brother's isn't a chain at all.

[quote name='dmaul1114']Well I'm talking major cities--I live in Atlanta.

Does that place you mention deliver though? That's the key for me. I mainly only eat pizza when I'm at home and don't want to cook and don't feel like going out for carryout.

The local places have MUCH better pizza and are definitely worth the extra money. But here the majority don't deliver, and the few that do only deliver in like a 2 mile radius and I'm out of the area of most of them despite living in midtown with a ton of restaurants around (mostly trendy places though, so no Pizza joints close buy besides the chains).

I did just find out that one local place (well a regional chain at least--Mellow Mushroom) started delivering. So I may order from them sometimes as it is damn good pizza compared to the national chains.

That said, it's not a cheap one. Specialty pizzas are around $13 for a 10", $20 for a 14" and $24 for a 16" pizza. A cheese pizza is $7.50, $10.99 and $13.99 for those sizes. Adding toppings to that to make your own is $1.25, $1.75, $2.25 per toppping based on the size. So you're looking at $16.24 for a large 1 topping pizza.

The other local places I've found with good pizza are buy the slice places, mostly wood fired gourmet places, and they're around $5 a slice for the most part. But damn good pizza.

I don't mind paying for good pizza--especially since I mainly like woodfired pizzas, gourmet pizzas etc. rather than a standard NY style pepporoni pizza as I don't really like floppy crusts or marinara sauce much, and they're often too greasy. But I end up with Papa Johns a lot as it delivers and it cheaper than the other places I usually go, and I can go with their spinach alfredo pizzas to avoid the red sauce and grease.[/QUOTE]Mellow Mushroom rocks, I work right across the street from one.:D

Local pizza joint > Papa John's > Dominoes > Sbarro's

Though like many here, I do have memories of eating at the Sbarro's at our mall's food court as a kid. Bigass slice of pizza, but I wasn't paying for it haha.

[quote name='Clak']Mellow Mushroom rocks, I work right across the street from one.:D[/QUOTE]

Yeah, it's damn good. I love the Philosopher's Pie. For those that haven't been to one, that pizza has an olive oil/garlic base instead of red sauce, and it topped with grilled steak, mushrooms, artichoke hearts,, Kalamata olives, and provolone, mozzerella and feta cheeses. Just pricey at $24.50 for the 16".

They have all kinds of awesome gourmet pizzas like that, which is what I dig. I'll be eating them more now that the local locations started delivering--I think only 2 of the many locations in the Atlanta area deliver though.

I like their by the slice lunch special. I think it's like $5 for two big slices of pizza and a drink.

God, reading this thread reminded me of when I worked in a mall during college and our Sbarro used to run a $5 pizza deal at the end of the night to clear out leftover pizza (otherwise it was tossed). I lived off that deal for way too long, but a full pie with any combination of slices I wanted was a pretty slick deal for five bones.

I remember their spinach pizza being my favorite. I would get it quite often while working at a Suncoast in the mall. Ahhh.. the days of college. I was very disappointed the last time I was there, tasteless and expensive. Like most of you guys I'd rather go to my favorite local pizza place and get a fresh whole pie.

Just curious if anyone heard of Steve's Pizza in South Florida?

And as a side note I had Pizza Hut for the first time in a decade and really liked it. Not my favorite but it was tastier than other chains like Papa Johns & Dominos.

[quote name='The Mana Knight']I see Sbarro all the time, but I never ate there.[/QUOTE]

Might as well try it before it's gone....that way you can say you had it and didn't like it.

I'm going to miss their mall-pizza greatness.

Most of my childhood memories of Sbarro are centered around me going to Babbages first and blowing what little money I had on countless games.

[quote name='Fortune_P_Dawg']I'm going to miss their mall-pizza greatness.

Most of my childhood memories of Sbarro are centered around me going to Babbages first and blowing what little money I had on countless games.[/QUOTE]

Yeah i remember those days.

I wonder what they'll do with all the equip. and space they had in the shared Arbys location for it. I remember they treated it like a sep. restaurant under one roof with independent staff. Now it's like an afterthought where you order on the Arby's side. It's like Wingstreet/Pizza Slut/Taco Bell/KFC or A&W/Long Dong Silvers.

Not a huge fan of it, too greasy and overpriced. The pasta wouldn't be bad if it wasn't so overcooked.

Sad to see them go if they really are going under. Never ate any of the pizza there as I hate pizza in general, BUT they have some of the tastiest garlic rolls known to mankind:drool: One of my favorite mall combos when out shopping is a loaded baked potato topped with steak from The Great Steak Escape, 2 garlic rolls from Sbarro's and a large pineapple julius from the DQ/Julius spot....um um good!:applause:

[quote name='blindinglights']Maybe because they are so vastly superior to every other large pizza chain that it isn't even a competition?[/QUOTE]

Apparently, you don't have a Marco's around you......

[quote name='GreenSpark']Sad to see them go if they really are going under. Never ate any of the pizza there as I hate pizza in general, BUT they have some of the tastiest garlic rolls known to mankind:drool: One of my favorite mall combos when out shopping is a loaded baked potato topped with steak from The Great Steak Escape, 2 garlic rolls from Sbarro's and a large pineapple julius from the DQ/Julius spot....um um good!:applause:[/QUOTE]

If I had to guess, you must not be a slender fellow.......

[quote name='dmaul1114']Yeah, it's damn good. I love the Philosopher's Pie. For those that haven't been to one, that pizza has an olive oil/garlic base instead of red sauce, and it topped with grilled steak, mushrooms, artichoke hearts,, Kalamata olives, and provolone, mozzerella and feta cheeses. Just pricey at $24.50 for the 16".

They have all kinds of awesome gourmet pizzas like that, which is what I dig. I'll be eating them more now that the local locations started delivering--I think only 2 of the many locations in the Atlanta area deliver though.[/QUOTE]

Dear sweet pizza lords that sounds incredible. It does seem pricey but that sounds like one of those pizzas where you have two slices and are super full.

On topic, bummer about Sbarro. In high school I had a friend who worked at the one in our local mall and she used to give me free slices. I've eaten there occasionally over the years but I was never impressed with the quality of the pizza...especially when you have some awesome local shops that taste 10x better.

[quote name='dmaul1114']Yeah, it's damn good. I love the Philosopher's Pie. For those that haven't been to one, that pizza has an olive oil/garlic base instead of red sauce, and it topped with grilled steak, mushrooms, artichoke hearts,, Kalamata olives, and provolone, mozzerella and feta cheeses. Just pricey at $24.50 for the 16".

They have all kinds of awesome gourmet pizzas like that, which is what I dig. I'll be eating them more now that the local locations started delivering--I think only 2 of the many locations in the Atlanta area deliver though.[/QUOTE]
I love those kalamata olives. Most places just have the regular black olives, I always get the kalamata since nobody else has them around here.

[quote name='drktrpr1']Local pizza joint > Papa John's > Dominoes > Sbarro's

Though like many here, I do have memories of eating at the Sbarro's at our mall's food court as a kid. Bigass slice of pizza, but I wasn't paying for it haha.[/QUOTE]

That statement couldn't be any more truer.

To chime in on my Sbarro memory: I normally associated it with highway stops. My family and I would stop during long road trips and eat some overpriced food. Nonetheless, I am not surprised they are going bankrupt and fully expected this after I practically paid 4 bucks for a slice of pizza.

I agree with everyone else who said it is too expensive. I rarely eat at a food court in the mall but paying close to $4 for a slice of pizza isn't going to happen. Yeah Domino's isn't the greatest but when I can get 2 large 1 topping pizzas for around $12 on a regular basis (I usually find a coupon code on Slick Deals), I'd rather have that. Even the local independent places are expensive. $13 for a large cheese pizza, $15.50 for a large pizza with 1 topping at the closest one to me.

I don't mind $4-5 for a slice of pizza. But it has to be damn good, gourmet pizza. Not typical crappy pizza like Sbarro's. I don't mind paying for good food at all, as I said earlier I regularly go to a local pizza joint that's $5-6 per big slice. But it's kick as gourmet pizza with lots of topping options etc.

[quote name='dmaul1114']I don't mind $4-5 for a slice of pizza. But it has to be damn good, gourmet pizza. Not typical crappy pizza like Sbarro's. I don't mind paying for good food at all, as I said earlier I regularly go to a local pizza joint that's $5-6 per big slice. But it's kick as gourmet pizza with lots of topping options etc.[/QUOTE]

Sbarro's is mall pizza though. It's not like the $8.50 you spend on a teriyaki bowl in the mall is for some high quality shit either. That's just how the mall goes.

[quote name='RAMSTORIA']Sbarro's is mall pizza though. It's not like the $8.50 you spend on a teriyaki bowl in the mall is for some high quality shit either. That's just how the mall goes.[/QUOTE]

True. But they're not only in malls. I mainly ate at them on campus in undergrad and grad school and the other places were things like Wendy's and Taco Bell that had the same prices as their regular locations. Sbarro's charged the same as the mall locations.

I got it sometimes as the spinach mushroom pizza was ok and I'm not much on fast food burgers or crap like Taco Bell and it was slim pickins for on campus dining anyway. Haven't eaten there since as I seldom go to a mall and if I do usually just go to a nearby sit down restaurant after finishing shopping.

[quote name='GuilewasNK']I thought Sbarro was a CAG user that bought too many games. :oops:

Never heard of that place before.[/QUOTE]

:rofl:
Well your not missing much. No big worries if you never tried Sbarro's.

For mall food, it was okay if you wanted pizza, as there was typically no other choice. I can't think of a single food court with an excellent pizza place.

I probably would have eaten at Sbarro's more if it hadn't been for a stupid experience. This was when I was in college and at the local mall. I looked through the whole food court and settled on pizza. They had one slice of stuffed pepperoni and sausage left.

Sbarro's guy: I'm sorry, I can't give that to you
Me: Why not?
Sbarro guy: I'm holding it for someone
Me: You're holding pizza for someone...?
Sbarro guy: Yeah
Me: Well, how long until another one is ready
Sbarro guy: Oh, 15 to 20 minutes
Me: Hell with that. I'll go somewhere else.

And I never ate there again. The end.

This thread has been making me crave Sbarro's for a week now.. maybe I'll find myself at the mall in about an hour to grab some.

Good riddance, first Circuit City, then Blockbuster and Hollywood. What's next, Radioshack? I really hope so, it always made me wonder how all their stores are still profitable. When news articles were coming out saying "Blockbuster's business model is dated", I always figured Radioshack would be thrown in there as well.

[quote name='detectiveconan16']I never eat at chain pizza restaurants, since why bother? I live near the pizza capital of the country.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. I can't stomach any of that stuff. If it is cooked on a conveyor belt it's not real pizza. Yes I'm a NYC pizza snob.

[quote name='AsobiSeksu']Good riddance, first Circuit City, then Blockbuster and Hollywood. What's next, Radioshack? I really hope so, it always made me wonder how all their stores are still profitable. When news articles were coming out saying "Blockbuster's business model is dated", I always figured Radioshack would be thrown in there as well.[/QUOTE]

Trust me, Radioshack ain't going anywhere anytime soon as long as those nerds who build there own electronic shit need parts quick there will always be a radioshack.

[quote name='Javery']Agreed. I can't stomach any of that stuff. If it is cooked on a conveyor belt it's not real pizza. Yes I'm a NYC pizza snob.[/QUOTE]

cici's pizza is worse than sbarro's.

[quote name='ITDEFX']Trust me, Radioshack ain't going anywhere anytime soon as long as those nerds who build there own electronic shit need parts quick there will always be a radioshack.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I know they also sell a bunch of cell phone plans. Have you ever seen what they charge for parts? They're like $3-4 for a small chip, it's ridiculous. I know that must have a really high mark-up.

[quote name='Lyricsborn']Cici's isn't good but it's still better than sbarros.[/QUOTE]

They put something in Cici's pizza that makes me take a dump really bad within 20 minutes of eating that shit. :(

It wasn't bad, pretty much exactly how I remembered it tasting after, idk 5+ years of not having it. 2 Slices were $6.58.. not the best deal but really not out of line with fast food prices anymore. All in all it's really comparable to Little Caesars IMO but with slightly less instant heartburn.

Cici's is the shittiest "pizza" I've ever had.. the "even bad pizza is still pizza" mentality doesn't even apply to it.

bread's done
Back