Sega genesis mini preorders are live

I’m so conflicted about the controller thing. Yeah, 6 buttons are better, but the 3 button is so iconic and relevant to the Genesis experience to me, at least. I didn’t care about having more buttons until Street Fighter II: Special Champion Edition.

This is what I don’t get. I don’t know if it’s ‘kids these days’ or just fools who like to complain. When I think of the PS classic or the original genesis, they didn’t have analog sticks or six buttons. To me it’s like complaining a ‘67 classic corvette doesn’t have satellite nav and auto parking built in. Well no shit it’s a classic, the original didn’t have those things!

This is what I don’t get. I don’t know if it’s ‘kids these days’ or just fools who like to complain. When I think of the PS classic or the original genesis, they didn’t have analog sticks or six buttons. To me it’s like complaining a ‘67 classic corvette doesn’t have satellite nav and auto parking built in. Well no shit it’s a classic, the original didn’t have those things!
But a nav system on a 67 corvette is inherently aftermarket. Sony added analog sticks to the PSX mid-life and Sega added 3 more buttons to the Genesis controller mid-life for the console—both well before their respective next gen successors came out (unlike NES’s dogbone controller). Most consider the sticks and additional buttons to be improvements.

But a nav system on a 67 corvette is inherently aftermarket. Sony added analog sticks to the PSX mid-life and Sega added 3 more buttons to the Genesis controller mid-life for the console—both well before their respective next gen successors came out (unlike NES’s dogbone controller). Most consider the sticks and additional buttons to be improvements.
The same can be said for the revisions of the PlayStation consoles such as the slims. For me I would want the original, classic version to be true. Let subsequent iterations have the inprovements.

Perhaps an old vette wasn’t a good analogy. My point was everything tech improves with age. Cars get newer and better features, as do consoles. If I buy the classic version, I want the original.

Last edited by a moderator:
The same can be said for the revisions of the PlayStation consoles such as the slims. For me I would want the original, classic version to be true. Let subsequent iterations hahebthe inprovements.

Perhaps an old vette wasn’t a good analogy. My point was everything tech improves with age. Cars get newer and better features, as do consoles. If I buy the classic version, I want the original.
While I see what you are arguing for, I think the reason it's a sticking point for some (myself included) is that some of the included games make use of functionality that was added with the Analog Sticks and XYZ buttons respectively.

For example: The PS Classic included Metal Gear Solid. MGS had some pretty great support for the original Dual Shock controller. Including the game but not the controller is a pretty dumb move. Moving on to the Genesis mini, one of the games that's already being listed is Comix Zone. Comix Zone makes excellent use of the 3 extra buttons by using them as a way to gain instant access to your items.

In theory, I understand what your point is and even prefer it, however, in practice, your desire for the "classic" only works if the game libraries mirror the "classic" feel you are in favor of. If Sega wants to include only the 3 button controller, that's great. But if they do that, in an attempt to promote the classic Sega Genesis vibe, then they should also ignore late-era titles (like Comix Zone) that take full advantage of late-era peripherals that are not being included with the package.

TLDR; Classic Peripherals only make sense if the included games don't offer support for late-era peripherals with added functionality.

I'd wait for reviews first as the last retro console Sega released 1-2 yrs ago supposedly had emulation issues. Isn't the company who did the emulation for that machine was also hired for the Genesis Mini?
Supposedly they originally had AtGames doing it, and yes that should raise worries as they did the previous less than stellar attempts. But now they have M2 working on the emulation, and they are pros. Check out the 3DS and Switch Sega Ages games (both arcade and Genesis games), where they not only added great emulation, but also added new features, excellent 3D and in some cases extra levels. They really seem to work to understand how the games work, not just do a pass and make them functional.

Supposedly they originally had AtGames doing it, and yes that should raise worries as they did the previous less than stellar attempts. But now they have M2 working on the emulation, and they are pros. Check out the 3DS and Switch Sega Ages games (both arcade and Genesis games), where they not only added great emulation, but also added new features, excellent 3D and in some cases extra levels. They really seem to work to understand how the games work, not just do a pass and make them functional.
Yeah, if I had any interest in this what so ever, I would have ZERO issues buying one for no other reason than M2 being involved. They absolutely killed those 3DS games, and made "N" look beyond pathetic in what they offered on their own "3D" based system. SEGA in no way has the reserves that "N" has, and M2 went above and beyond in regards to their classic games and making them the best they could be for the device in front of them.

As for the controllers, they should probably offer an option for one with 3 or one with 6(or even one of each). Those 3 button controllers are just about the worst controllers ever made(at least for me), while those small 6 button ones are probably the best ever made. Of course if Street Fighter, or other games aren't on the US edition, than it's a moot argument and then becomes only a preference issue.

I think this will rival the NES/SNES minis, as it needs to, as that is the bar that's been set, and since SEGA & "N" where fierce rivals at this time in history, it wouldn't look to good to offer a lesser product now. This also has USB controller ports, so the theory now is that you can use any classic controllers you want, which is cool if true, so the 3 vs. 6 may not be a big deal.

I recently got an OSSC for my Genesis. Looks great. I’d considered the Mega SG but went for the OSSC instead since it can support other systems as well.

Have you seen any comparisons between the OSSC and the Mega SG?
I have yet to open my Mega SG as I have to rearrange my whole entertainment system and all the consoles and their hookups, which is a pain in the ass. (I am also so busy with family life with my 5 year old). I will get to redoing the whole thing and hooking up the Mega SG eventually.

I have read the OSSC is easier to use and has a better picture and less lag than the Framemeister with most sources. So I may go down that road and get myself one of those too. So I can't compare anything yet. Sorry.

but japan got 6buttons in their version of this mini. go figure. oh well.

n/a, doesnt matter. some genesis classics require 6 buttons. all subjective.

I am wondering if usb controllers will work on this thing. If so, nice 6 button Genesis controllers are readily available. Then you also know 8bitdo will make their beautiful 6 button wireless Genesis controller compatible. I have one that semi works for my SNES classic that I may or may not already be playing Genesis games on.

Not jumping on the pre-order wagon for this one. I want one, but I don't imagine they will be hard to get ahold of once they are out. 

I went ahead and preordered on Amazon just in case. No reason not to since they don't even do a pending charge(beyond a $1 sometimes I've noticed). With M2 doing this, I'm pretty confident it will be good.

Not bothered by the lack of 6-button controllers really, as they are only needed for fighting games. 

Sega has M2 doing emulation so there is no reason why this should turn out like PS Classic or the ATgames Genesis consoles.
Yes, this is what inspires confidence in me. When this was under ATGames purview, I couldn't have cared less, and was ready for a hard pass. ATGames is known for making low-quality, low-effort knock-offs. I have no interest in their work.

But when Sega announced that they had pushed back the release, fired ATGames, and brought M2 on board, that changed everything. Now I'm much more optimistic about the Sega Genesis Mini. M2 are THE house to go to for classic retro collections and high-quality emulation. Not only that, but they have worked on Sega's classic collections before, so they are already well acquainted with a lot of this work. Their efforts in the past usually involve very complete releases with tons of great extras, and rock-solid accurate emulation. With M2 behind the wheel I can rest easy that the software on this Genesis Mini is going to be great, with no corners cut.

The initial game line-up is encouraging, if not overly ambitious. Gunstar and Bloodlines are welcome 3rd party entries, a good start on that front. And having Comix Zone and Toe Jam and Earl on board shows that Sega isn't afraid of dipping into some of their lesser-known but still high-quality first-party titles. I could have done without Altered Beast, but I understand why it's there.

I went ahead and preordered on Amazon just in case. No reason not to since they don't even do a pending charge(beyond a $1 sometimes I've noticed). With M2 doing this, I'm pretty confident it will be good.

Not bothered by the lack of 6-button controllers really, as they are only needed for fighting games.
One can always cancel a preorder so no reason not to. I see the box art has T rating so sad to see no Mortal Kombat II. I suppose they could do Eternal Champions, but that would benefit from the 6 button controller.

For those concerned about only having 3 buttons, I would direct your attention to the fact that this thing appears to have USB ports on the front. Not only is it likely that existing USB controllers will work on it, but I would be willing to bet that the 6-button Japanese variant controllers get a release here in the U.S. (sold separately, of course) You might end up having to pay extra for your 3 extra buttons, but they will be available.

Of course, 8bitdo fans such as myself have nothing to worry about. I already have the 8bitdo USB adapter, so I'll be able to plug that in day 1 and be able to pair up any and all wireless bluetooth controllers that I own.

I'm interested to see the rest of the line-up for this thing. The first ten games are predictable, but with a few slight surprises. Castlevania: Bloodlines in particular is a deep cut that will please a lot of fans, as it is actually pretty rare to see it come out in compilations. Having the M2 treatment on that game is a good get. Gunstar Heroes is painfully obvious, but also extremely welcome. It is the one title that classic Genesis fans ALWAYS clamor for, so having it in the initial ten is going to help inspire confidence.

The rest of the titles are predominantly in-house Sega efforts, but a reasonable cross-section of the Genesis' library. It will be interesting to see if we get any sports games on the system, as those tend to have licensing issues. If the licensing ends up being too much, Mutant League Football would be a good choice. I'm also wondering if Sega will be able retrain themselves from adding ALL of the Sonic titles. They have 30 more slots to fill, but the Genesis was a fairly well-supported system. There is plenty of material to choose from.

At 80 dollars I did the same.

I still wish it had the 6 button controller though, I like the feel of it better.

I definitely think it should be packing the 6-button controllers, and "it's USB" doesn't matter. We're talking about getting it right out of the box.

I will say that it's convenient Retro-Bit's new controllers are just out and apparently (surprisingly) very good. They have 10-foot cables, and given that none of these classic consoles have cables worth a damn, they're going to be natural replacements.

Yeah but I don't want to pay extra for the 6 button pads, it also shows that these other 30 games in the US aren't going to be any of the ones that use them. So I'm guessing Japan might get the SF II port, and no Mortal Kombat II here even though that was going to be a giant longshot. 

Pretty much all fighters, with some late in life exceptions, like shifting in Virtua Racing I think. I'm with the camp they just feel a 100x better than the regular Sega 3 button, in fact one of the better feeling game pads ever before analog sticks came out, imho. Kind of why I think the Saturn and even the Street Fighter IV fight pads were pretty much modeled off them. Looks like a list here, nothing mind blowing. 

https://segaretro.org/Six_Button_Control_Pad_(Mega_Drive)

Also says cant cancel order if you place one.
Odd that they are doing that, but understandable, as they don't want to end up with way more stock than anticipated due to cancelled pre-orders. The Yen vs the dollar could change quite a bit between now and September as well, although Amazon JP usually tries to adjust for that for NA customers. The good thing is that Japanese versions of these mini consoles have not been hard to get after release. I will get one, but wait until around release.

I preordered looks like it will be top notch quality Sega needs to put plenty of good games that are not readily available on their many collection discs. Castlevania bloodlines is a start contra hard corps, rocket knight adventure, musha to name a few would differentiate it from their collection discs make it must own.

I preordered looks like it will be top notch quality Sega needs to put plenty of good games that are not readily available on their many collection discs. Castlevania bloodlines is a start contra hard corps, rocket knight adventure, musha to name a few would differentiate it from their collection discs make it must own.
This is absolutely true. Castlevania is definitely one that made me take notice, you never see that in their compilations (in fact they don't do a lot of 3rd party published games in them). They need to get a good variety, I'd love to see Air Buster and/or Gaiares as they were stellar shooters. Contra would also be a plus, and maybe some other quality somewhat obscure choices. They need to of course have the basics, Sonic 1&2 (don't expect Sonic 3 due to licensing issues with Michael Jackson, or really any licensed games like Moonwalker or Batman) and some others that they need to get mass market appeal. Forty slots gives you lots of room to add some not so usual suspects, I'd hope ten or so would be this sort of title - then it would be a no brainer considering M2 is doing it.

And what would be really cool is if M2 were to add some of their usual flair to a few of the bigger ones, like they did for the 3ds games (extra levels/modes/etc.). But that is highly unlikely for a "classic" mini console.

I'm hoping for ghouls n ghosts as the genesis one was my favorite, shadowrun, and other oddball classics. Oh and NO SPORTS GAMES

if only we could hook up a little mini Sega CD to it
As cheap as flash memory is these days they could actually include Sega CD games if they wanted. An uncompressed ISO would be only about 650 MB, and even if they went cheap and used 32GB like Nintendo did you could easily make a dozen or so of the 40 Sega CD games and still have tons of space leftover. That is if you can find a dozen or so Sega CD games that are worth including that aren't just cartridge games with CD audio.

Pretty much all fighters, with some late in life exceptions, like shifting in Virtua Racing I think. I'm with the camp they just feel a 100x better than the regular Sega 3 button, in fact one of the better feeling game pads ever before analog sticks came out, imho. Kind of why I think the Saturn and even the Street Fighter IV fight pads were pretty much modeled off them. Looks like a list here, nothing mind blowing.

https://segaretro.org/Six_Button_Control_Pad_(Mega_Drive)
Wow, I miss when quality first party controllers were $20.

In fairness, there's a HELL of a lot more stuff packed in to your basic controller now. The new retro Sega controllers are, in fact, $15 - $25.

Nintendo has been the only company to do these kinds of devices justice. I'll wait until the reviews come in.

Is this another AtGames repackaging?
the neo geo mini isn't bad. It's overpriced for what it is, but it isn't bad. I wish I had waited, I'm guessing it will be 50 bucks eventually.

Is it confirmed the controller ports are standard USB or we guessing?
The official images clearly show standard USB ports. That's been confirmed, it's not a guess. These photos also show that the "headphone-jack" on the unit is just a plastic decoration, and is not an actual port. So no plugging a pair of headphones into this thing. What hasn't been confirmed is whether or not it will be compatible with standard USB controllers. The PS1 classic by and large was. And it seems likely that Sega will probably use a similar processor/board combo to what Nintendo and Sony used for their classic consoles. So the chances of regular USB-compatible controllers working on this thing is actually quite high.

For those who hanker for a wireless solution, I would direct you to the 8bitdo wireless USB receiver, and pretty much any of 8bitdo's controller line. 8bitdo made their wireless adapter retroactively compatible with the PS Classic via a firmware update. They will likely do something similar when the Sega mini releases. The 8bitdo USB adapter + the new M30 bluetooth pad will be one of the best ways to play the Genesis mini. (and get you those 6 buttons many seem to crave)

no Mortal Kombat II here even though that was going to be a giant longshot.
AtGames was able to get Mortal Kombat licenses for earlier versions of the Flashback, why wouldn’t Sega be able to? The original MK was such a huge deal on the Genesis at the time and really differentiated the system from the SNES. Sure it’s not the best version of the game, but it was the home port to have at the time.

no Mortal Kombat II here even though that was going to be a giant longshot.
AtGames was able to get Mortal Kombat licenses for earlier versions of the Flashback, why wouldn’t Sega be able to?

The original MK was such a huge deal on the Genesis at the time and really differentiated the system from the SNES. Sure it’s not the best version of the game, but it was the home port to have at the time.

Yeah, I wouldn't call MK a long-shot. The only real thing holding it back is if Sega is going for an overall lower ESRB rating on this thing. Which may or may not happen. Actually getting the license to re-release the original MK games isn't that hard. WB games has never been very shy about re-releasing or licensing older MK games. Pony up the money and they'll play ball. With a fresh MK title coming out this year, they would probably even jump at the chance for some cross-promotion.

The real question is whether we would get MK 1, 2, or 3? 2 is more fondly regarded by fans, 3 is the one usually desired by technical fighting fans, and 1 is the more historically significant. Given the limited roster of the system, and the sheer volume of titles to choose from, I seriously doubt they would include all three. One game would be much more likely. 2 would probably be the easy pick, but I always preferred the SNES version of 2. 1 would be the obvious choice if they didn't go for 2, but 1 is the title that has aged the worst, and would likely be the least fun to play again. It's a conundrum.

Of course, there's also the fact that we have M2 working on this thing. And they are known for releasing multiple versions of games in their collections. If they went for MK1, the might also include the option of playing the arcade version as well, ditto for MK2, or MK3. That would make any of those games inclusion on the system vastly more appealing.

Last edited by a moderator:
bread's done
Back