Sega genesis mini preorders are live

Castlevania Bloodlines has never been released in digital form on any platform I believe same for contra hard corps and rocket knight adventure. Musha has on wii virtual console but it is now shut down this is what sega has to aim for to make it a must own even for people who are rolling their eyes yawning because of the atgames flashback consoles or sega many collection discs on home consoles.

This is absolutely true. Castlevania is definitely one that made me take notice, you never see that in their compilations (in fact they don't do a lot of 3rd party published games in them). They need to get a good variety, I'd love to see Air Buster and/or Gaiares as they were stellar shooters. Contra would also be a plus, and maybe some other quality somewhat obscure choices. They need to of course have the basics, Sonic 1&2 (don't expect Sonic 3 due to licensing issues with Michael Jackson, or really any licensed games like Moonwalker or Batman) and some others that they need to get mass market appeal. Forty slots gives you lots of room to add some not so usual suspects, I'd hope ten or so would be this sort of title - then it would be a no brainer considering M2 is doing it.

And what would be really cool is if M2 were to add some of their usual flair to a few of the bigger ones, like they did for the 3ds games (extra levels/modes/etc.). But that is highly unlikely for a "classic" mini console.

Genesis GNG is my favorite version too thunderforce III and lightening force are two other genesis classics that have never been released in digital form on any platform.

I'm hoping for ghouls n ghosts as the genesis one was my favorite, shadowrun, and other oddball classics. Oh and NO SPORTS GAMES

Sega has updated with the Wave 2 list of retro titles (10 games) :

Wave 2 list

- Earthworm Jim

- Castle of Illusion starring Mickey Mouse

- Shinobi III : Return of the Ninja

- Contra : Hard Corps

- Sonic the Hedgehog 2

- World of Illusion starring Mickey Mouse & Donald Duck

- Landstalker

- Streets of Rage 2

- Super Fantasy Zone

- Thunder Force III

Original WAVE 1 list 

- Ecco the Dolphin

- Castlevania: Bloodlines

- Space Harrier 2

- Shining Force

- Dr. Robotnick's Mean Bean Machine

- Toe Jam & Earl

- Comix Zone

- Sonic the Hedgehog

- Altered Beast

- Gunstar Heroes

Two more waves will be announced prior to its official Sept 19, 2019 release date. Cheers!

Last edited by a moderator:
Halfway in, this is a pretty killer lineup.  MUSHA was announced for the Japanese version - I hope it's coming in the US version as well.

Sega has updated with the Wave 2 list of retro titles (10 games) :

Wave 2 list

- Earthworm Jim

- Contra : Hard Corps

- Streets of Rage 2

Original WAVE 1 list

- Castlevania: Bloodlines

- Toe Jam & Earl

SoR2 was a given, but I'm ecstatic about the others above. Contra is the only one I don't already own, but this is a much cheaper way to get it than a cart.

This is shaping up to be a very solid release.

Throw in beyond oasis, phantasy star iv, Sonic 3, and earthworm Jim 2 and this is a buy for me.

Vectorman 1 and 2 would be awesome too.

I Hope less Sega first party games or just less games that can't be easily found on every Genesis collection that comes out.

Definitely getting more enticing. Need some more RPGs. Beyond Oasis would be a nice touch.
I would like Crusader of Centy. I want that game bad, but I only buy complete in box games and its $400 and higher complete. (there is a fool on ebay wanting $1200 for his copy.... yeah, good luck with that one)

It's likely beyond Sega's control, but if they can make a deal with EA and get the Mutant League games, Road Rash, Haunting Starring Polterguy, and General Chaos, it would be amazing.  The last time I've seen EA release any of them was that compilation for the PSP 13 years ago, though it didn't have General Chaos.  Even more unlikely but equally awesome would be Aladdin - third best selling Genesis game of all time behind the first two Sonics.

Are music rights (and the composer of said music) the only hangup on Sonic 3?  I'm wondering if it's a no-win situation for Sega.  Purists would be furious even if they had new music done for it, but even if the rights themselves aren't an issue, nobody is going to release anything related to Michael Jackson at this point. 

Wave 2 has officially obliterated any skepticism I may have had.  Love every addition so far.

Since Castle of Illusion and World of Illusion are in, I'm hopeful they'll add Aladdin...but it was developed by Virgin and DIsney Soft., so there could be licensing issues.

Definitely liking the announcements so far.  And with M2 developing it I am pretty close to keeping my preorder as it sounds like a quality machine. Would love a couple more shooters though.

I’ll take one or all of the following...
- Road Rash (1,2, or 3)
- Urban Strike
- The Duel: Test Drive 2
- Cyborg Justice
- Jurassic Park (regular or Rampage Edition)
- WWE Royal Rumble or Wrestlemania: The Arcade Game
- NHL 93 or 94
- FIFA International Soccer
- Aladdin, The Lion King, or Toy Story
- RBI Baseball 93
- NBA Jam
- Cool Spot

I agree, this is shaping up to be a pretty solid lineup so far, and so long as they don't screw up the bells & whistles, this should be a good seller for SEGA. While I had no plans to buy either way, as I have all these games across so many devices, I don't need another I'll probably never use(3DS being my latest way to play). This would be much more inviting to me if they included the small 6 button controllers here, as I can't stand those 3 button boomerangs.

A few Sega CD titles would be amazing, a little Snatcher or Lunar perhaps? But I guess they can do some CD and 32X on a follow up device if this one does well enough. I'm sure at least one Phantasy Star will be included, if not more, as that's one of Sega's best Ip's of all time. So hopefully they have ample stock, so that those who want one won't have to fight or overpay when the time comes.

If they add Sega CD games, you guys are forgetting Vay, Popful Mail, Albert Odyssey, Dragon Force, Heart of the Alien, and Demolition Man.

The good news is preorders are still live most everywhere, so hopefully it won't be the fight to get one as with the NES and SNES.  But given the excellent first and second set of games this thing is going to get more and more interest.  I can only imagine what the games they are holding onto for the end are, because they already have some high spots.  The big difference is having third party games, Contra and Thunder Force 3 are HUGE additions.  And having the two good Mickey games means they aren't shy about using licensed games.  That bodes well for getting Sonic 3 (which is tied up for licensing problems for the music and why it wasn't in the most recent collection).

They seem to be getting a really nice variety of quality games, I do hope they add Musha to it in a later wave since it is on the Japan one, a vertical scrolling shooter is needed.  Also, Herzog Zwei wouldn't hurt my feelings as long as they are doing games that haven't been in many collections.

If they add Sega CD games, you guys are forgetting Vay, Popful Mail, Albert Odyssey, Dragon Force, Heart of the Alien, and Demolition Man.
Albert Odyssey and Dragon Force were Saturn. DF was probably my favorite Saturn title, and i must have sunk 200 hours into it.

There's a good chance i'll buy this thing. Game list is shaping up to be pretty nice, and i'm really hoping if it sells well it might finance a Saturn mini. I still have mine (hooked up, even), but i would just about kill for a legitimate way to play Panzer Saga, Shining Force 3, Burning Rangers, Rayearth, etc. And while i'm dreaming, maybe they could localize the sequels to Shining Force 3 and finally give us the whole saga.

Albert Odyssey and Dragon Force were Saturn. DF was probably my favorite Saturn title, and i must have sunk 200 hours into it.

There's a good chance i'll buy this thing. Game list is shaping up to be pretty nice, and i'm really hoping if it sells well it might finance a Saturn mini. I still have mine (hooked up, even), but i would just about kill for a legitimate way to play Panzer Saga, Shining Force 3, Burning Rangers, Rayearth, etc. And while i'm dreaming, maybe they could localize the sequels to Shining Force 3 and finally give us the whole saga.
Saturn Bomberman hasn’t left my Saturn in 17 years :)

Yep, wave 2 is another strong list of winners. I actually like it a bit more than wave 1, and I was already pretty pleased with the first ten games. (I just don't have much nostalgia for Altered Beast, and Mean Bean Machine doesn't really do anything for me)

Thunder Force III gives you a nice, solid scrolling SHMUP entry. Shinobi III is an obvious choice, at least one game from that series was expected. Sonic 2 is frequently regarded as the best in the original series, no surprise seeing it included. Earthworm Jim is slightly less essential, but still a welcome addition. Landstalker is considerably more obscure, but very well-regarded and a very pleasant inclusion. Streets of Rage 2 is right alongside Shinobi, an obvious but welcome addition from a popular series.

And then there's Contra. This one was one of the "dream" games that everyone was unsure would make the cut. I have this game on the original cartridge, and have actually played through it as well. It is extremely kick-ass. Its presence on this mini system automatically bumps up the desirability of the collection considerably. Hard Corps was a late-generation entry that flew under the radar. A lot of Genesis fans have never actually played it.

For the next 20, I would expect to see at least one entry from the Phantasy Star series. It's Sega-owned and developed anyway, so not much of a stretch. It will probably be either 2 or 4, 2 if they're going for story, 4 if they want to showcase the graphics. 3 is usually considered a weaker entry in the series, so it probably won't show up. This collection definitely seems to be focusing on best-of entries for multi-title series. (Shinobi, Streets of Rage, Thunder Force, etc...) Disney and Konami have clearly showed up for the third parties, we will see who else decides to sign on.

Is the game list really that important?
Well, you can do the same thing you are proposing with a Raspberry Pi, and numerous other mini-computers. I picked up an ASUS Tinkerboard earlier in the year, which is like a Pi on steroids. (more RAM, better GPU, etc...) If hacking or modification are your aim, you don't even have to wait. You can do a lot of that with existing mini devices, take your pick.

Because Sega is actually putting real work into the emulation and software for this thing, the game list is actually significant. M2 does some of the best emulation and collection work in the business. There will be a sizable number of fans who WON'T hack this device, just because they want to keep the original software. They even have a classic Sega composer working on the menu music.

The effort that Sony put into the PS1 Classic was minimal at best, and piss-poor at worst. There's a reason why no one seems to have any problem hacking that thing. No one cares about the original software, and why should they? Sony certainly didn't. But I don't see the same thing happening quite as much with the Genesis Mini. Oh, there will be hacking, no doubt. It happens to all these mini devices. But I don't think many fans will be in a hurry to overwrite the original software. The game selection is going to be a big part of why. M2's work will be the rest of why.

The SNES mini was modded without altering the original firmware in any fundamental way. This is the reason I'm buying one, just to have the software interface. The games will come later as I add them in myself to make my own curated list.

I'm just happy they're putting some serious effort into this one. We came dangerously close to getting another AtGames piece of trash.

And here I thought I was the only person to dump hundreds of hours into DF. It's actually the reason I even bought a backup cart, since the internal memory only allowed for one save at a time (and only during the "intermission" points).

I have all of those Saturn games and the system still to play them on - I went a bit overboard with SF3, though. Bought the imports, did the patching tool to drop in the English script, and lightscribed the disc art on so they look nice.

The SNES mini was modded without altering the original firmware in any fundamental way. This is the reason I'm buying one, just to have the software interface. The games will come later as I add them in myself to make my own curated list.
And this is likely the approach that the modding scene will take with the Genesis Mini. We don't know how long this will take to open up, however. The more custom work that M2 puts into it, the less likely that it will be a one-size-fits-all solution. M2 is notorious for going above and beyond, not only providing lots of extras and special features, but often incorporating multiple versions of games in their collections. A greater degree of customization would make it less likely that you would be able to quickly shoe-horn additional games onto the system, as there might not be a single standard emulator running everything.

That's part of the reason why a solid built-in selection is important. While a lot of hard-core fans will likely dig into the modding at some point, there are plenty of more casual consumers that never will. And if you want to sell a lot of these things, pleasing the casual consumers is something you have to consider. The built-in game selection will be crucial for that.

Well, you can do the same thing you are proposing with a Raspberry Pi, and numerous other mini-computers. I picked up an ASUS Tinkerboard earlier in the year, which is like a Pi on steroids. (more RAM, better GPU, etc...) If hacking or modification are your aim, you don't even have to wait. You can do a lot of that with existing mini devices, take your pick.

Because Sega is actually putting real work into the emulation and software for this thing, the game list is actually significant. M2 does some of the best emulation and collection work in the business. There will be a sizable number of fans who WON'T hack this device, just because they want to keep the original software. They even have a classic Sega composer working on the menu music.

The effort that Sony put into the PS1 Classic was minimal at best, and piss-poor at worst. There's a reason why no one seems to have any problem hacking that thing. No one cares about the original software, and why should they? Sony certainly didn't. But I don't see the same thing happening quite as much with the Genesis Mini. Oh, there will be hacking, no doubt. It happens to all these mini devices. But I don't think many fans will be in a hurry to overwrite the original software. The game selection is going to be a big part of why. M2's work will be the rest of why.
Well said. :applause:

Really impressed with the lineup so far, Good variety with some excellent titles. Excited to see what else they end up revealing.

I want some more RPGs also. I'm hoping they dont do phantasy star, I love that series but it's easy to find in their many genesis collections.
Most of the collections don't have the M2-added quality of life improvements from the PS2 Sega Ages collection though, and this might.

Dang, my memory's going. :razz:

I really want a Saturn Mini, would be a nightmare to get the license for a lot of those gems on it I'd imagine.
Sadly, emulation would be a bigger hurdle I'm sure, as the Saturn was a fuck ing mess on the hardware side of things. That being said, I would love to see one offered some day, but yeah, I think it's very unlikely for many, many reasons. I think a Dreamcast mini would probably happen before a Saturn one, sadly.

Wow, they're acknowledging World of Illusion. Cool.
Part of me still hopes they're remaking it like they did Castle since they bothered getting the license back (Castle remake was delisted and then later relisted).

I doubt SEGA CD games are coming, but if they were, they should add Snatcher.

Wow, they're acknowledging World of Illusion. Cool.
Part of me still hopes they're remaking it like they did Castle since they bothered getting the license back (Castle remake was delisted and then later relisted).

I doubt SEGA CD games are coming, but if they were, they should add Snatcher.
Yeah, if by some miracle they include any Sega CD titles, Snatcher for sure gets the #1 vote from me. I'm currently playing it for my 6-7 time, and on the N3DS no less and it runs great. Probably one of my most played titles over 35+ years of gaming, and I still go pack to it every few years. Sadly it seems to have been one moment in time, as I doubt we ever get to see that world revisited, and that's a shame, as it's one of the best I've ever experienced.

I was disappointed about the lack of 6 button controllers at first. But growing up with the 3 button controllers and not seeing them anymore has made me rethink that. Besides, I have two usb 6 button sega controllers and the 8bitdo bluetooth 6 button controller so I should be good. Preordered at gamestop.

Will it be 40 games that were actually released on the original hardware, or is that number going to include unlicensed games like on previous Genesis consoles?

bread's done
Back