Sega genesis mini preorders are live

Will it be 40 games that were actually released on the original hardware, or is that number going to include unlicensed games like on previous Genesis consoles?
While I admit this is an educated guess, I can’t imagine they’d include anything but licensed games that originally appeared on the system rather than nonsense filler.

They’re following Nintendo’s lead on this one and certainly appear to be hoping everyone treats the AtGames releases as a separate mistake.

Will it be 40 games that were actually released on the original hardware, or is that number going to include unlicensed games like on previous Genesis consoles?
It shouldn't have any of the generic unlicensed games that come on a lot of different plug and play systems. I'm talking about the typical Chinese generic games that round out some devices so they can tout having some large number of games.

Given the release list isn't complete yet, it's hard to know if we'll get any kind SNES Classic "Star Fox 2" type of surprise. Hardcore, for instance would be possible. It would be really interesting if there was a genesis port of Sonic Mania on there as a big surprise... but I wouldn't hold my breath for them planning that far ahead. 40 games is already pretty limited for the Genesis Mini... the next batch of games will have stuff like Streets of Rage 3 and other common games. So really they need to be somewhat picky as is for the system to have a good variety of experiences. I still think they need some sports on there as well as that was a huge part of the Genesis appeal back in the day.

I do not have the nostalgia for the Genesis compared to the SNES but this is shaping up quite nicely.  I have the Genesis Collection for the Switch so I'm not sure if I'll jump on this too since there will be a lot of overlap. However things like Contra and Mickey make this very attractive. 

I do not have the nostalgia for the Genesis compared to the SNES but this is shaping up quite nicely. I have the Genesis Collection for the Switch so I'm not sure if I'll jump on this too since there will be a lot of overlap. However things like Contra and Mickey make this very attractive.
Yeah, I had both back in the day, and while the SNES is probably by #1 system of all time, I do have a love for the Genesis/Mega Drive and lots of what it had to offer. During that period, was when I first discovered importing, and the huge world that opened up to a gamer and the Genesis had some of the best import tiles around. While it lacked along side the SNES in most categories(hardware), it also excelled above with a few, and that allowed for it's own rather unique and cool library of games.

It's not impossible to see Sega CD titles show up on this collection. It isn't terribly likely, unfortunately, but also not impossible. It's especially not likely that we would see stand-alone Sega CD titles. M2 is very fond of including multiple versions of the same game within their collections. And there are a LOT of Genesis titles that also got slightly upgraded ports for the Sega CD. Just on the current announced games you have Ecco the Dolphin and Earthworm Jim, both titles with well-regarded Sega CD ports. Having the Sega CD versions included as part of the collection wouldn't be too much of a stretch.

Unfortunately, since this collection is Genesis-focused, I wouldn't expect to see Sega-CD exclusive titles appearing in their own right. So Snatcher is unfortunately probably not in the cards. Not impossible, certainly, I just also don't think it's likely.

If this release sells well, it would not be unusual for Sega to release another collection next year. And an obvious choice for such a collection would be the Sega CD. While the Saturn would be a good choice too, the emulation for Saturn would be far more demanding. The Sega CD has been emulated extensively, and would hardly even be a challenge. It would be cool to see them model such a system after the 1st-generation Sega CD, and scale it just right so that the Sega Genesis mini fits perfectly on top of it. The Sega CD's library could easily accommodate 20-30 titles, especially if Sega was able to get a few more third-parties on board.

It has been announced that the next 10 games (#21 - #30) for the Japanese 'Mega Drive Mini' version will broadcast on May 16th, 2019 at 7:15am Eastern Time.  I would expect similar info to drop for the Genesis Mini counterpart soon after, but be mindful that the game titles will likely be different.  Getting hyped! 

Wave 3 List (TBA)

Worldwide launch is September 19th, 2019

Last edited by a moderator:
Next 10:

1. Mega Man: The Wily Wars
  2. Street Fighter II': Special Champion Edition
  3. Ghouls 'n Ghosts
  4. Alex Kidd in the Enchanted Castle
  5. Beyond Oasis
  6. Golden Axe
  7. Phantasy Star IV: The End of the Millennium
  8. Sonic the Hedgehog Spinball
  9. Vectorman
  10. Wonder Boy in Monster World
Sega revealed the 6-button controller (from Retro-Bit) will be available in late August for $20.

As predicted, but still pretty lame to include Street Fighter and sell a six button as extra. At least a couple rpgs were added to be list.

I wonder if that will be the only Phantasy Star that will be included.  I personally have a soft spot for Phantasy Star II.

Either way, the lineup is definitely looking good.

As predicted, but still pretty lame to include Street Fighter and sell a six button as extra. At least a couple rpgs were added to be list.
In defense of authenticity, which all these machines seem to be shooting for, this was the exact situation when SF was released on the Genesis, so no surprise really.

I wonder if that will be the only Phantasy Star that will be included. I personally have a soft spot for Phantasy Star II.
It most likely will be the only Phantasy Star title. Most fans hold Phantasy Star II up as being one of the best. And it's understandable, it has perhaps the best story out of the entire series. The only real drawback to it is that it kind of takes a step back in terms of graphics, featuring no separate locations for its battle scenes, and hardly any animation at all for its enemies. While it doesn't look bad, it also doesn't live up to the visual presentation of the rest of the series.

It's not really surprising that they went with IV. If they weren't going to include II, IV is the clear choice. While its story is not quite as good as II, it's by no means bad. And the graphics and audio in IV are fantastic.

If you are hungry for the full Phantasy Star, you are best picking up a copy of Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection. (for the PS3 or XBox 360) While it doesn't have M2-level quality, it does have plenty of solid options. And perhaps most importantly, it has all four of the Phantasy Star games. I'm not sure if the XBox 360 version is backwards compatible on the XBox One. I will have to check.

Overall, though, I continue to be pleased by these lists. It has generally become a game of picking out the weakest title in a list of strong contenders, instead of the other way around. That's a good problem to have. Alex Kidd is probably the weakest link in this particular list. It's there more for the sake of nostalgia. Everything else is pretty freaking solid, including an appearance by third-party Capcom.

In defense of authenticity, which all these machines seem to be shooting for, this was the exact situation when SF was released on the Genesis, so no surprise really.
So, in terms of authenticity, the Mega Drive Mini got it wrong? Realistically, it’s a cash grab directed at specific regions.

Realistically, it’s a cash grab directed at specific regions.
All classic mini-systems are cash-grabs, designed to prey on nostalgia more than anything else. The defining factor for how well they are received lies in how well they are executed. Nintendo did a good job with its two outings, and was praised for their efforts, despite having fairly small libraries. Sony botched their release hard, and now the stock for it is being cleared out of just about every store that offers them.

I can assure you, the number of buttons on the controller isn't going to be a deal-breaker. The Genesis was originally a 3-button system. The vast majority of games for it take this limitation into account, and can be played with only 3 buttons. There are a very small number of titles that can be improved through the addition of more buttons on the controller. (Street Fighter II being a prime example) But these are very much outliers, with most classic titles being built around the 3 button controller.

While a few fans will refuse to snag a Genesis mini over the choice of controller, these too will be a small minority. The deciding factor for the Genesis mini is going to be the quality of the software. If M2 delivers, and the games and presentation are where they need to be, the Genesis mini will be a critical and commercial success. With the first 30 games announced, I can tell you right now that the selection of titles is what it needs to be. This is a really good selection of games for the Genesis. We just need to see how the final interface shapes up, and how good the extra features are.

So, in terms of authenticity, the Mega Drive Mini got it wrong? Realistically, it’s a cash grab directed at specific regions.
I don't know if they got it right or wrong, as this thread is discussing the US version mostly, and like all the other NA offered mini/classics, this item comes with it's original controller. If memory serves correctly, the small 6 button pad became the standard one offered with the Mega Drive 2 in Japan, while our Core unit stuck with the boomerang. The US didn't get the 6 button controller included until the Genesis 3 which was bought by almost no one, as it appeared at the end of it's life.

So while I think the 6 button MD controller is one of the best controllers ever offered, it's was never really a standard item here, as it was in Japan. So at the end of the day, more people in Japan are probably more familiar with the 6 button option(why it's included), while the opposite is true in the states(why it's not).

All classic mini-systems are cash-grabs, designed to prey on nostalgia more than anything else. The defining factor for how well they are received lies in how well they are executed. Nintendo did a good job with its two outings, and was praised for their efforts, despite having fairly small libraries. Sony botched their release hard, and now the stock for it is being cleared out of just about every store that offers them.

I can assure you, the number of buttons on the controller isn't going to be a deal-breaker. The Genesis was originally a 3-button system. The vast majority of games for it take this limitation into account, and can be played with only 3 buttons. There are a very small number of titles that can be improved through the addition of more buttons on the controller. (Street Fighter II being a prime example) But these are very much outliers, with most classic titles being built around the 3 button controller.

While a few fans will refuse to snag a Genesis mini over the choice of controller, these too will be a small minority. The deciding factor for the Genesis mini is going to be the quality of the software. If M2 delivers, and the games and presentation are where they need to be, the Genesis mini will be a critical and commercial success. With the first 30 games announced, I can tell you right now that the selection of titles is what it needs to be. This is a really good selection of games for the Genesis. We just need to see how the final interface shapes up, and how good the extra features are.
You are missing my point. The controllers have nothing to do with authenticity, otherwise they would be the same controllers across all regions.
I personally am happy with the titles so far, especially since Beyond Oasis and Phantasy Star have been added. I’m hoping more rpgs will be in the final List.

If you are hungry for the full Phantasy Star, you are best picking up a copy of Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection. (for the PS3 or XBox 360) While it doesn't have M2-level quality, it does have plenty of solid options. And perhaps most importantly, it has all four of the Phantasy Star games. I'm not sure if the XBox 360 version is backwards compatible on the XBox One. I will have to check.
The Ultimate Genesis Collection isn't backwards compatible. Makes me real sad, because it had great games, nice extras, and overall felt like a better investment than the current gen equivalent. Some individual games (Like Phantasy Star II) are bc, though.

Here is the complete list so far for the Genesis Mini.  The final 10 games for the import version will be revealed via a Japanese Livestream on June 4th, so expect a similar announcement soon afterwards. Cheers!

1. Sonic the Hedgehog
2. Ecco the Dolphin
3. Castlevania: Bloodlines
4. Space Harrier 2
5. Shining Force
6. Dr. Robotnik’s Mean Bean Machine
7. ToeJam & Earl
8. Comix Zone
9. Altered Beast
10. Gunstar Heroes
11. Earthworm Jim
12. Sonic the Hedgehog 2
13. Castle of Illusion Starring Mickey Mouse
14. World of Illusion Starring Mickey Mouse and Donald Duck
15. Contra: Hard Corps
16. Thunder Force III
17. Super Fantasy Zone
18. Shinobi III: Return of the Ninja Master
19. Streets of Rage 2
20. Landstalker
21. Mega Man: The Wily Wars
22. Street Fighter II: Special Champion Edition
23. Ghouls ‘n Ghosts
24. Alex Kidd in the Enchanted Castle
25. Beyond Oasis
26. Golden Axe
27. Phantasy Star IV: The End of the Millennium
28. Sonic Spinball
29. Vectorman
30. Wonder Boy in Monster World 

For reference and comparison sake, here is the Japanese Mega Drive Mini game list :
1. Contra Hard Corps
2. Dyna Brothers 2: Sega Channel Special
3. Game no Kanzume Otokuyo
4. The Hybrid Front
5. Landstalker
6. MUSHA
7. Streets of Rage 2
8. Super Fantasy Zone
9. Thunder Force III
10. World of Illusion Starring Mickey Mouse & Donald Duck
11. Castlevania: Bloodlines
12. Comix Zone
13. Gunstar Heroes
14. Madou Monogatari I
15. Powerball
16. Puyo Puyo Tsu
17. Rent-a-Hero
18. Shining Force
19. Sonic the Hedgehog II
20. Space Harrier II
21. Ghouls 'n Ghosts
22. Street Fighter II : Special Champion Edition
23. Mega Man : The Wily Wars
24. Golden Axe
25. The Revenge of Shinobi
26. Phantasy Star IV 
27. Beyond Oasis
28. Puzzle & Action : Tant-R
29. Party Quiz Mega Q
30. Yu Yu Hakusho : Makyo Touitsusen 

Wireless controllers will be the way to go anyway. I am sure 8bitdo will be making those beautiful 6 button controllers compatible. I own one and it will be the way to play this. Especially when it is modded and I can play me some Shadowrun, NHL 94(with updated rosters) and Buck Rogers.

Wireless controllers will be the way to go anyway. I am sure 8bitdo will be making those beautiful 6 button controllers compatible. I own one and it will be the way to play this. Especially when it is modded and I can play me some Shadowrun, NHL 94(with updated rosters) and Buck Rogers.
Agreed. Wouldn’t it be great if Shadowrun were part of the last 10 announced? That would be epic.

Retro-bit confirmed on Twitter that the current USB Genesis controllers they have recently released will also work on the Mini, so good for those that bought them already. I'm pumped for this thing regardless.

https://twitter.com/RetroBitGaming/status/1129066094906433536

I picked up a pair of the 8bitdo 2.4Ghz M30 controllers to use with my Analogue Mega SG, and they are beautiful. I will likely pick up the bluetooth version of the M30 before the Genesis mini launches. The design and feel of the M30 is even better than Sega's original 6-button pads. It splits the difference between the original Genesis 6-button pads and the Sega Saturn 6-button pads.

Yeah, I actually owned that cart back in the day, and maybe one day I'll actually play the game. LOL
The European or Japan version? Because it never came out on cart in the US, that's what makes this such a pleasant surprise. You either had to deal with PAL slowdown or Japan text/names/titles unless you had Sega TV.

The European or Japan version? Because it never came out on cart in the US, that's what makes this such a pleasant surprise. You either had to deal with PAL slowdown or Japan text/names/titles unless you had Sega TV.
That's a good question actually, as it was long ago, and since I never played it, it could have been either or. LOL

I rarely imported games from EU, but when there was an "English" option over Japan, I would normally opt for that version(if prices allowed). I would say the Japan version was more likely, as my importing over the years was always more heavily in favor of Japanese titles. I could probably count on two hands the EU titles I've imported over the years, with one hand being more likely. While my Japanese imports...........Let's just say in the 16-32 bit generations, I probably imported more games than I bought domestically, and importing was nowhere near as cheap as it is now.

Can't believe Mega Man: The Wily Wars is on there! I never had the Sega Channel so pumped to play this. Maybe Pulseman and Alien Soldier next?

I’m sure licensing is an issue, but in he US the Genesis dominated the sports game market. Though not my favorite genre it seems like a miss to not get a few of the EA titles - though maybe they’re not willing to license. Speaking of EA, Road Rash, Haunting Staring Polterguy, and/or Mutant League Football would be great additions.

I’m sure licensing is an issue, but in he US the Genesis dominated the sports game market. Though not my favorite genre it seems like a miss to not get a few of the EA titles - though maybe they’re not willing to license. Speaking of EA, Road Rash, Haunting Staring Polterguy, and/or Mutant League Football would be great additions.
Yeah, your 100% correct, as I completely forgot how many sports titles this system had, and there was tons no doubt. It's safe to say if we don't see any, I'm sure licensing will be the issue, as almost every game had an official license and or famous player involved.

Then I guess, some may not want the old games with old rosters, as it's the generic games that work best in a retro lineup like this. Stuff like Tecmo Bowl, Bases Loaded, or the SNK sports titles, since they have generic teams, so playing then or now doesn't change much in regards to any real stats or players.

I never watch a hockey game in my life, but NHL 94 was one of the best Genesis sports games. Mutant League Football & Hockey were really good too. 

Can't believe Mega Man: The Wily Wars is on there! I never had the Sega Channel so pumped to play this. Maybe Pulseman and Alien Soldier next?
That Sega Genesis Classics collection on PS4/XB1/Switch has the English version of Alien Soldier from the Sega Channel, so it is not out of the question.

Nice idea on the sports titles. I'd take in order

NBA Jam

Madden 93

NHL 94

Mutant League Football

Of course, no way one could coordinate all the 90s era names who are no longer part of the respective players associations - except for the mutant league PA. LOL

Pat Riley Basketball had fictional teams. I'd imagine it wouldn't be too difficult to get his consent ;-).

Nice idea on the sports titles. I'd take in order

NBA Jam

Madden 93

NHL 94

Mutant League Football

Of course, no way one could coordinate all the 90s era names who are no longer part of the respective players associations - except for the mutant league PA. LOL
I'm not sure if you could get Madden, which would be iconic... but what about Joe Montana Sports Talk Football. That was one of the first sports games also, and you'd probably only have to deal with Joe on the licensing. (I think it's like the Pat Riley Basketball someone mentioned.)

I'm not sure if you could get Madden, which would be iconic... but what about Joe Montana Sports Talk Football. That was one of the first sports games also, and you'd probably only have to deal with Joe on the licensing. (I think it's like the Pat Riley Basketball someone mentioned.)
Nah, Joe Montana Football came out well over a year after the Genesis came out, and it changed form and was re-done halfway through (went from side angle perspective game to vertical scroller). The first sports games were Tommy Lasorda Baseball and then Arnold Palmer Golf shortly after, then Buster Douglas Boxing and Pat Riley Basketball a bit later. And Sports Talk Joe Montana was even later than that, that was the second released Joe Montana game.

Definitely needs NBA Live 96 or 98 on there. I remember EA was able to rerelease NBA Live 95 once when the modern Live was release with a special edition.

bread's done
Back