Sega has Cut Yakuza 3 content, Listings of entire Cuts now available.

[quote name='GuardianE']Eh, I'll buy it used so that Sega gets none of my money when it's cheaper down the line. I was thinking of picking it up today, which is why I checked the PS3 forum and read this crap.

I'm slowly going through the rest of the thread and noticed people citing VGChartz and representatives from VGChartz. Hasn't it been confirmed that VGChartz completely makes up their data and are notoriously unreliable?[/QUOTE]
yes, however some guy from VGChartz said he went up into the offices and it sounded pretty legit (posted somewhere in here), he did then say he could be like up to 30% off. So take what you will of it.

[quote name='GuardianE'] Hasn't it been confirmed that VGChartz completely makes up their data and are notoriously unreliable?[/QUOTE]

That has been confirmed for awhile now. Although they are making progress now by being a little more "accurate," their reputation has already been tarnished.

[quote name='phantasyx']yes, however some guy from VGChartz said he went up into the offices and it sounded pretty legit (posted somewhere in here), he did then say he could be like up to 30% off. So take what you will of it.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I was reading that guy's quote... and quite frankly it doesn't make sense.

How does cutting Mahjong reduce costs? It doesn't. They made completely arbitrary cuts in a sad attempt to Westernize a game that is pretty much impossible to Westernize.

It's just silly.

[quote name='phantasyx']Today only

Gamestop.com

20ps3 coupon
Yakuza 3 new - 20% off

comes to $48 + free shipping + tax?[/QUOTE]

To the first 2,000 people, anyway.

[quote name='phantasyx']try actually playing the game first before you talk Shi+[/QUOTE]

Who's talking shit? Weren't you the one calling people Republicans in this thread?

Maybe you can explain it to me now that you've played the game. How does cutting Mahjong reduce costs? It probably cost them more money/labor to cut that minigame than it would have for them to translate the directions associated with that minigame. It's bullshit and you know it.

[quote name='GuardianE']Who's talking shit? Weren't you the one calling people Republicans in this thread?

Maybe you can explain it to me now that you've played the game. How does cutting Mahjong reduce costs? It probably cost them more money/labor to cut that minigame than it would have for them to translate the directions associated with that minigame. It's bullshit and you know it.[/QUOTE]
It sucks YES everyone agrees, however it makes sense enough that if you know that you must make cuts and you make a organized decision to cut whats least known to westerners and (for sega) the largest part of that content happened to be Hostesses. Shogi and Mahjong just got tacted in with that because 1% of ps3 purchasers they are 'trying' to sell this game to are like "hey I really feel like getting down on some Japanese Mahjong or Shogi today".

This game is HUGE, after playing it yeah it sucks but there still is so much to be enjoyed that it ends up not sucking (as badly). Thats why you need to write a letter to sega or wait till the price drops then buy it new to at least support the Franchise if your even interested in playing anything yakuza related, if not please flake away.

[quote name='phantasyx']It sucks YES everyone agrees, however it makes sense enough that if you know that you must make cuts and you make a organized decision to cut whats least known to westerners and (for sega) the largest part of that content happened to be Hostesses. Shogi and Mahjong just got tacted in with that because 1% of ps3 purchasers they are 'trying' to sell this game to are like "hey I really feel like getting down on some Japanese Mahjong or Shogi today".

This game is HUGE, after playing it yeah it sucks but there still is so much to be enjoyed that it ends up not sucking (as badly). Thats why you need to write a letter to sega or wait till the price drops then buy it new to at least support the Franchise if your even interested in playing anything yakuza related, if not please flake away.[/QUOTE]

You are aware, as the topic creator, that thread is meant to be about the cuts that have been made to the game and how they are perceived in the gaming community, right? It's not an "Official thead of Yakuza 3" or whatever... I'm not off topic, so why should I flake away?

My point is, the cuts don't. make. sense. They're bullshit. I'm not calling them bullshit because I'm angry. I'm calling them bullshit because they don't jive with their own PR statements. They could have cut something that actually required localization. THAT would make sense. As it stands, it looks like censorship to me. If it's not, then please, by all means educate me since you're platinuming the game.

You don't have to get defensive. I'm not attacking you OR your beloved game. I'm attacking Sega, and I feel entirely justified in doing so.

[quote name='GuardianE']You are aware, as the topic creator, that thread is meant to be about the cuts that have been made to the game and how they are perceived in the gaming community, right? It's not an "Official thead of Yakuza 3" or whatever... I'm not off topic, so why should I flake away?

My point is, the cuts don't. make. sense. They're bullshit. I'm not calling them bullshit because I'm angry. I'm calling them bullshit because they don't jive with their own PR statements. They could have cut something that actually required localization. THAT would make sense. As it stands, it looks like censorship to me. If it's not, then please, by all means educate me since you're platinuming the game.

You don't have to get defensive. I'm not attacking you OR your beloved game. I'm attacking Sega, and I feel entirely justified in doing so.[/QUOTE]
Then we are in agreement. However, I just ask you this. What would you cut if you had a limited budget and needed to take a huge chunk out (10-20 Hours) of the game if it would mean bringing it to the US?
(This question goes to everyone as well)

*Edit* and I do argee with the whole PR fiasco but they (Sega Reps) didn't actually Translate or develop the game, they are Jack asses miss leading masses and I'm just going to skip right over them.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='phantasyx']Then we are in agreement. However, I just ask you this. What would you cut if you had a limited budget and needed to take a huge chunk out (10 Hours) of the game if it would mean bringing it to the US?
(This question goes to everyone as well)[/QUOTE]

To be honest I'm biased. Interactions with NPCs and side missions are my favorite parts of games like these. I generally care little about the main storyline (thought that could change were I to play it). Because of this, these cuts seem huge.

Cut the history gameshow because that requries some translation work. Cut some random encounters on the streets. Cut some of the brawling with lessor enemies.

Leave sidegames like chess/mahjong IN and don't translate. Who cares? People won't bother with them if they don't know how to play. There's no point in taking them out. I'm surprised that Sega took NIS's approach to localization by actively removing things. It takes work to remove something.

[quote name='GuardianE']And before anyone decides to tell me that I'm taking it too seriously (LOLZ get a life! JUST A GAME!), get over yourself. Seriously. Who the fuck are you to tell people what to do with their time or what should be important to them? Gaming a hobby that I take seriously, including things involving the industry.[/QUOTE]

We're rational people retard. That's who we are.

By dwelling on something like this - you show yourself to be a loser. If you don't like hearing, tough shit.

[quote name='WrexManor']We're rational people retard. That's who we are.

By dwelling on something like this - you show yourself to be a loser. If you don't like hearing, tough shit.[/QUOTE]

Don't you have political rallies to attend? You're on a forum discussing a video game. That's hardly a rational use of time.

Like I said. Get over yourself. You're not special, even if your mother tells you so. Your typical internet tough guy bravado is completely transparent.

[quote name='GuardianE']Don't you have political rallies to attend? You're on a forum discussing a video game. That's hardly a rational use of time.

Like I said. Get over yourself. You're not special, even if your mother tells you so. Your typical internet tough guy bravado is completely transparent.[/QUOTE]
LOL don't even start with him. He does get mad when you call him out on editing his posts though. He does it like 5 times too.

[quote name='GuardianE']Don't you have political rallies to attend? You're on a forum discussing a video game. That's hardly a rational use of time.

Like I said. Get over yourself. You're not special, even if your mother tells you so. Your typical internet tough guy bravado is completely transparent.[/QUOTE]

Hardly a rational use of time? Then why are you here, dipshit? Or are you just admitting to being a troll?

And for that matter my mother is a hundred times the person you'll ever be. Even your mom tells you that.

[quote name='WrexManor']Hardly a rational use of time? Then why are you here, dipshit? Or are you just admitting to being a troll?

And for that matter my mother is a hundred times the person you'll ever be. Even your mom tells you that.[/QUOTE]

Of course I'm not rational. People's motivations are rarely rational. You claiming to be rational (or more rational than most) is incredibly irrational.

I'd block you, but then I wouldn't be able to take advantage if you ever posted a deal. That'd be entirely irrational.

EDIT: Oh, and I'm sure your mother is a classy lady. Probably wasn't as disciplinary as she should have been, but classy nonetheless.

[quote name='Paco']This game has caused almost a years worth of LOLZ in how many people it has trolled.[/QUOTE]
I've laughed so many times at people here, espesially people that actually take me seriously. This one needs to be archived.

This thread reminds me of that scene in Alien where the find the chamber with all the eggs...its like at any moment something is going to leap off of the page and latch on to a commenter, impregnating them with the seed of trolldom.

On another note:
Technically speaking, this is not censorship. As I mentioned earlier in the thread, censorship is a serious issue and requires the use (or underlying threat of) force. Calling this situation censorship is belittling real issues of censorship (see: China or even Australia).

Further, all humans are rational. Actions may appear irrational, but that has more to do with the subjectivity of value than the logical facilities of the person. Being emotional is not antonymous to being rational, which seems to be how the word was being used.

Huge update!

So remember when I said I was going to get the cut content at least on youtube?
Well I talked to the guy who was doing Kenzan videos and here is his message

KHHsubs
KHHsubs Re:Is it possible to request something to be subbed from you? Re:Is it possible to request something to be subbed from you? I'd love to do them, but I have no means of recording the footage =( I'm looking into getting some recording equipment in the near future for my Kenzan stuff though. So, there are 2 options:
1- Wait until I can record the footage to sub (may not be for a few months)
2- Find someone who has the Japanese version (and can record) who is willing to record all the cut sub-missions and send them to me to sub
So what does that mean? I Found a SUBBER! WOOT! So what I need now is RAW video files from the cut content. I know that some of you have a copy of Yakuza 3 in Japanese and if you can relay the cut content and mission video to me I can get them subbed by this guy.

[quote name='phantasyx']All from the Sega Forums[/QUOTE]

Clearly that poster is a troll. Sakura Taisen 5 is coming out here next week, and it's not from Sega.

[quote name='phantasyx']Then we are in agreement. However, I just ask you this. What would you cut if you had a limited budget and needed to take a huge chunk out (10-20 Hours) of the game if it would mean bringing it to the US?
(This question goes to everyone as well)

*Edit* and I do argee with the whole PR fiasco but they (Sega Reps) didn't actually Translate or develop the game, they are Jack asses miss leading masses and I'm just going to skip right over them.[/QUOTE]

Wow, talk about déjà vu... Where, oh where, have I heard this before? Oh, I know:

[quote name='jh6269']Ok, so this issue is getting pretty nuts, but I'm just curious, what would you have cut if you were trying to get this game to the US on the least amount of time and money?[/QUOTE]

[quote name='jh6269']Look, that's not my question, I'm asking if you did not have a choice, and you had to cut something to get the game out the door, what part would you have cut?[/QUOTE]

Please people, when you buy the game, you're supporting the _franchise_ not Sega per se.

[quote name='GuardianE']Of course I'm not rational. People's motivations are rarely rational. You claiming to be rational (or more rational than most) is incredibly irrational.

I'd block you, but then I wouldn't be able to take advantage if you ever posted a deal. That'd be entirely irrational.

EDIT: Oh, and I'm sure your mother is a classy lady. Probably wasn't as disciplinary as she should have been, but classy nonetheless.[/QUOTE]

This is just a really elaborate way of defending the fact that you're a moron.

[quote name='phantasyx']I've laughed so many times at people here, espesially people that actually take me seriously. This one needs to be archived.[/QUOTE]

Indeed. Watching you go from a rabid fanboy screaming for blood to, "eh, it sucks, but it's better than nothing" is priceless.

[quote name='Squall835']Indeed. Watching you go from a rabid fanboy screaming for blood to, "eh, it sucks, but it's better than nothing" is priceless.[/QUOTE]

Well, being able to admit you're wrong takes a lot of guts... that's one good thing I can say about the situation. At least (s)he finally saw the light.

Only problem now is that there were probably a lot of people that were convinced not to buy the game... that's sad.

[quote name='jh6269']Well, being able to admit you're wrong takes a lot of guts... that's one good thing I can say about the situation. At least (s)he finally saw the light.

Only problem now is that there were probably a lot of people that were convinced not to buy the game... that's sad.[/QUOTE]

The damage that dochebag did outweighs any light he may have seen. \

It's like a drunk driver running over a child only to realize later that drinking and driving is bad. Overdramatic analogy? Definitely. But it fits.

Hey I changed my first post to reflect my current opinion (mainly to stop all the stragglers coming in late like "argg WTF?"). And its not like I had most of the info as I do now, Sega still sucks 100% but I'm mostly out of energy on the subject.

For the damage I've done if any (I never told anyone not to buy the game), I'll get these videos of the missing content up for everyone. I just need someone to record through the missions and stuff, because the Subber said he was down.

[quote name='WrexManor']This is just a really elaborate way of defending the fact that you're a moron.[/QUOTE]

Okay, buttercup.

[quote name='jh6269']Well, being able to admit you're wrong takes a lot of guts... that's one good thing I can say about the situation. At least (s)he finally saw the light.

Only problem now is that there were probably a lot of people that were convinced not to buy the game... that's sad.[/QUOTE]

It's not really PhantasyX's fault if people don't pick up this game. He informed potential buyers of something that is now missing from the product as a result of localization. That's news that every consumer has the right to know so that they make an informed purchase. He may have been a bit dramatic about it, but the effect was ultimately positive (and he kept regular updates in the OP, apparently, and encouraged people to contact Sega).

It's up to each individual consumer to make the decision whether or not to buy the product. In many cases, I imagine, people began researching the topic after reading about it here. I don't get game news from CAG, but it allowed me to look into things on my own and view other peoples' opinions. Even though there are likely some people who will now not purchase the game, without this thread there would have been even more people who would have purchased the game without knowing that content was cut. It's incredibly underhanded. Why should consumers remain ignorant so that Yakuza 3 can get sales?

And as much as many of you want sales for this game, that's really not for the best.

The key thing I've liked about this game more than the previous two is that the cut scenes and facial emotions are outstanding. That and running around town just seems that much more fun now that the camera isn't always changing direction and disorienting the hell out of you.

[quote name='GuardianE']Okay, buttercup.

It's not really PhantasyX's fault if people don't pick up this game. He informed potential buyers of something that is now missing from the product as a result of localization. That's news that every consumer has the right to know so that they make an informed purchase. He may have been a bit dramatic about it, but the effect was ultimately positive (and he kept regular updates in the OP, apparently, and encouraged people to contact Sega).

It's up to each individual consumer to make the decision whether or not to buy the product. In many cases, I imagine, people began researching the topic after reading about it here. I don't get game news from CAG, but it allowed me to look into things on my own and view other peoples' opinions. Even though there are likely some people who will now not purchase the game, without this thread there would have been even more people who would have purchased the game without knowing that content was cut. It's incredibly underhanded. Why should consumers remain ignorant so that Yakuza 3 can get sales?

And as much as many of you want sales for this game, that's really not for the best.[/QUOTE]

I think the more important point is that all sides have made their case, and you and fantasyx (more the latter) have beaten their point into oblivion.

Don't like something? Okay, you're allowed to think that. But state your case and move on with your life. Some of us are still enjoying this game, and enjoying the nearly 100 hours of content it has to offer. You don't want to buy it? You don't want to own it? Fine. You've made your case, now get over yourself, pack up your soapbox, and move on with your life.

It's one thing to spend months and months discussing something you really enjoy. It's another to post a dozen times a day about a game you don't own and don't want to own, over and over and over and over again. Find a real fuckin' cause worth investing that kind of time in - missing mahjong in Yakuza ain't it.

[quote name='mykevermin']I think the more important point is that all sides have made their case, and you and fantasyx (more the latter) have beaten their point into oblivion.

Don't like something? Okay, you're allowed to think that. But state your case and move on with your life. Some of us are still enjoying this game, and enjoying the nearly 100 hours of content it has to offer. You don't want to buy it? You don't want to own it? Fine. You've made your case, now get over yourself, pack up your soapbox, and move on with your life.

It's one thing to spend months and months discussing something you really enjoy. It's another to post a dozen times a day about a game you don't own and don't want to own, over and over and over and over again. Find a real fuckin' cause worth investing that kind of time in - missing mahjong in Yakuza ain't it.[/QUOTE]

You're right, of course. I was posting a lot because this is new to me. It was fresh. A lot of you have had to discuss this for a month, are tired of the debate, and simply want to enjoy the game, which I can appreciate.

EDIT: By the way, what's the best way to contact Sega about this for whenever I end up buying this game?

To record PS3 footage I need some kind of video capture device. There are a lot of ways to go about doing it, but the best way I've found for my setup is: Getting a HDMI splitter and HDMI capture card for my PC, then send a HDMI cable from the output on my receiver to the splitter, then one of the HDMI cables from the splitter to my TV while the other one goes into the capture card. I can then record footage directly with a program like Camtasia (Which I already have).

How long it takes me to subtitle 10 minutes depends on:
1- How much text/speaking is in that 10 minutes
2- How tired I am =P

Yeah, I can only upload 10 minute long videos so I'll need to split the cut content footage into 10 minute parts.

I'm not sure exactly when I'll have it... Earliest possible is Late April though.

So that means that if your looking to record the video he can begin to sub the parts otherwise we will have to wait till mid to late may if we want any Missing content video. Anyone with a Japanese copy please do the right thing. Also money moves the world round a little faster, so I could take donations or dole out some donations to the subber and or potential video capturer. But thats depending on if I can get donations no promises.

@GuardianE and PhantasyX,

I agree with your side, Sega did make a bad choice. I'm not happy about the cuts, but the game is a great game nevertheless. I want to play the next game, and I want to buy the DLC if they ever get around to it. If I put both the cut content, and getting Yakuza 4 localized, on a scale, getting Yakuza 4 carries more weight in my mind.

Well anyway, I'm sure everyone's tired of the whole debate, I hope everyone ends up having a change of heart and supporting the game (but at the same time, it's OK to be mad at Sega). Just remember that Sega isn't a big successful company anymore, so I can totally see how it probably saved them to edit parts out (poor management decisions, etc.). But the fact is that they own this IP, and if you care about it, you need to support it--that's just reality.

Sorry PhantasyX, I didn't go back and read your OP, but thanks for changing the OP.

Here is the address for Sega, seems like it's the only way to really contact them (they don't have the balls to publish an e-mail address).
Send us comments to: Sega of America, 350 Rhode Island Street, Suite 400, San Francisco, CA 94103.

Please add this to the OP if you haven't already. I sent my mail last Friday just saying that I enjoyed the game and I'm a new fan. Just to let them know that they're picking up new customers. And also asked to have the DLC and Yakuza 4 in the USA. At the very least, if not published in the USA to have english subtitles in the Japanese version of Yakuza 4 so I could import it (I think it was released already, so I guess that's not likely).

yup added the address,

I mean simply not buying the game new or not complaining serves as a hinder to the franchise and fans. If we all did nothing Sega probably either wouldn't give yakuza 4 a chance at all or would bring it part of it thinking its ok cut corners. Its important to share knowledge to other consumers and the companies so they can make a smart desicion with there time and money. The Bayonetta install patch didn't come from Sega's heart, it came from the fans making a difference.

[quote name='phantasyx']yup added the address,

I mean simply not buying the game new or not complaining serves as a hinder to the franchise and fans. If we all did nothing Sega probably either wouldn't give yakuza 4 a chance at all or would bring it part of it thinking its ok cut corners. Its important to share knowledge to other consumers and the companies so they can make a smart desicion with there time and money. The Bayonetta install patch didn't come from Sega's heart, it came from the fans making a difference.[/QUOTE]

The Bayonetta patch didn't even come from Sega. Sony did that lifting.

Yeah, Bayonetta was patched because there were tons of people that bought the PS3 game... Bayonetta, I would think, is a more popular title than Yakuza 3.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that you have to pick your battles.

[quote name='jh6269']Yeah, Bayonetta was patched because there were tons of people that bought the PS3 game... Bayonetta, I would think, is a more popular title than Yakuza 3.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that you have to pick your battles.[/QUOTE]

But Bayonetta was heavily advertised too. I remember seeing tv spots. Heavy coverage at last year's E3. Almost weekly posts on Joystiq/Kotaku. Some were totally pointless, like the dancing vid... I think I found out 4 weeks before Yakuza 3's release that it was coming out. And it was a thread on here. I'm not trying to diss Bayonetta, I want to play the game sometime. But Sega could've advertised Yakuza 3 better. Hopefully when the 4th one comes out, ad campaign will be better.

/rant

[quote name='defmonkey05']But Bayonetta was heavily advertised too. I remember seeing tv spots. Heavy coverage at last year's E3. Almost weekly posts on Joystiq/Kotaku. Some were totally pointless, like the dancing vid... I think I found out 4 weeks before Yakuza 3's release that it was coming out. And it was a thread on here. I'm not trying to diss Bayonetta, I want to play the game sometime. But Sega could've advertised Yakuza 3 better. Hopefully when the 4th one comes out, ad campaign will be better.

/rant[/QUOTE]

Yeah, that's exactly what I'm talking about. There was a lot of fanfare over Bayonetta since that last E3 (possibly before). Also it was developed with the 360 as the lead platform. Sega dropped the ball on Bayonetta pretty bad. And also, they had a bigger force prodding them to try to fix Bayonetta. In our case, we have a tiny user base--the only way to gain leverage in this situation is to buy the game and get new people to buy it too. Then, that gives Sega more of an incentive to do more.

Anyway, at this point, I don't really care about the hostess clubs and stuff. By the time they would even get that stuff into the PSN store, I'd be finished with the game. I just want to get Yakuza 4 here and hope that it has no cuts.

[quote name='jh6269']Yeah, that's exactly what I'm talking about. There was a lot of fanfare over Bayonetta since that last E3 (possibly before). Also it was developed with the 360 as the lead platform. Sega dropped the ball on Bayonetta pretty bad. And also, they had a bigger force prodding them to try to fix Bayonetta. In our case, we have a tiny user base--the only way to gain leverage in this situation is to buy the game and get new people to buy it too. Then, that gives Sega more of an incentive to do more.

Anyway, at this point, I don't really care about the hostess clubs and stuff. By the time they would even get that stuff into the PSN store, I'd be finished with the game. I just want to get Yakuza 4 here and hope that it has no cuts.[/QUOTE]

Not that Sega or Platinum Games actually fixed Bayonetta on PS3. It was Sony stepping in and doing it for them, cause Sega apparently doesn't give a shit about supporting their games after release.

[quote name='PrinnyOtaku']Not that Sega or Platinum Games actually fixed Bayonetta on PS3. It was Sony stepping in and doing it for them, cause Sega apparently doesn't give a shit about supporting their games after release.[/QUOTE]

I don't think they have the ability to give a shit about their games after release... their stock price is around $3. They're not doing too well it seems.

They realized a net loss for FY 2009..

http://www.segasammy.co.jp/english/ir/message/index.html

Well no shit Yakuza and Yakuza 2 bombed, Sega. You barely acknowledged their existences. For starters, you released Yakuza with little advertisement. You didn't release Yakuza 2 until a year or so after its Japanese release, after people begged fore it.

When you did release it, you released very few copies and mostly only at GameStop, who only carried one or two copies per store. Because of that, it was pretty difficult to actually find a copy. Not only that, but this one received virtually no advertising.

Meanwhile, every bombshell of a Sonic game gets advertisements of sorts and is made well known to exist. Yeah, I understand Sonic sells and despite the quality, people still stupidly buy them, but come on.

As for the cut content...it's funny they cut out the hostess clubs when it's in the very first fucking game.

Just wrapped up Yakuza 2.

Wow. What a fantastic wrap-up to the story. The last five minutes of the game are awe-inspiring and brilliant. The musical choice leading to the final showdown = EPIC.

The game had a lot of flaws but it ended on as a high a note as any game. WOW.

Also Ryuji Goda is a great videogame character. I liked him even more than Kazama.

*swoons*

Also -

djs22632.jpg

I'm pretty sure Sega paid the bill to have sony do it. Sony doesn't just go in and fix games. Hell if they did we'd have a lot of better titles.

Still no luck on someone getting video for JP ver. of Yakuza 3, at this point we may have to wait. I'm guessing most of you who've finished the game would rather watch the content at least anyway.

bread's done
Back