Shmup News & Discussion

Honestly, I'm going to wait until Sony has a sale on PSN games. $9.99 is cheap to be sure, but I wouldn't be surprised to see this go $4.99 at some point.

I've heard the levels in Soldner X are way too long... like to the point where you'll get bored blowing shit up. Now that's just not right!

[quote name='Chacrana']I've heard the levels in Soldner X are way too long... like to the point where you'll get bored blowing shit up. Now that's just not right![/quote]

Never! Blowing shit up never gets old. :cool:

I wonder what the "Plus" in Strikers Plus is supposed to be?

All I remember about Strikers 1945 Plus (and I think this might've been the case in Strikers 1945 II) is that the names of all the ships you can use are obviously just Microsoft's Word Art. It's so ghetto, since it looks like a fucking Powerpoint slide.

Apparently, 1945 Strikers Plus is just a variant of Strikers II, but for Neo Geo. Seems a little much to give the game it's own release.

I don't remember ever seeing Plus in any of the MVS machines I visited back in the day, but it could've just been a non-memorable game. :p

I hadn't heard of it until it started working in NeoRage X. It was about as no-name as NG games get, I guess.

Though pretty much any Psikyo shmup is non-memorable, IMO, since they're all the same thing.

Kinda old news, but Radilgy 2 (aka Radilgy Noah) will support 2 players. I guess that will make it a little better, but it still looks like a freeware Flash game. >_<

radirgynoa.jpg

First announced in the Wii VC Thread, but MUSHA (Genesis) is out for Wii. Pretty much a must buy for me. I never did pick up the Genesis cart, and $200 off eBay is ridiculous. Although I dunno if the prices will stay $200 now that everyone has a VC alternative...

Almost bought MUSHA, but remembered I still had to check CC for cheap point cards. 30%, so I got one and will DL it tonight probably.

I bought MUSHA on monday when it came out and have been playing it quite a bit, the last level is tough!

I have some unused credit sitting at a local PnT that I want to use on Ultimate Shooting Collection, that is, if the game doesn't keep getting pushed back :cry:

Gun, would you say Ketsui Death Label for the DS is worth it at the hefty $60 import price?

Edit: never mind, it's OOP/OOS on play-asia and the only copies on ebay are going for $140, used.

PA might get used copies in, but I dunno if that game will ever get a budget reprint in Japan. I personally enjoy it a lot and thought it was well worth the $54 I spent to get it--it's pretty much just a gauntlet of boss battles, but it's just so cool having portable bullet hell. I can't really think of any other handheld game out there like it. It controls well, although bullets can be difficult to make out sometimes, and with the scalable difficulty, unlocking stuff isn't too hard. It was a no brainer for me, and I'm especially grateful now that it seems to be OOP/OOS at the bigger places. I'd be curious to know how scarce this title is now that you mention it.

[quote name='Photomotoz']
And now that I am on the topic of PC SHMUPS, has anyone played Raptor: Call of the Shadows? It is an old DOS era game, it was one of my favorites and the first SHMUP I ever played. The cool element in it was the fact that you upgraded after each mission by buying equipment. I am sure you can find it anywhere now, as it is considered abandonware.[/quote]

I use to love me some Raptor. That game was great!
I love how the DC seems to always get a few new release every year, but from a business perspective, I cant really understant why developers dont just create games for the PC or digital distribution. Although a lot of late DC games have been getting a lot of interest, then eventually get the digital port on XBLA.

[quote name='gunm']First announced in the Wii VC Thread, but MUSHA (Genesis) is out for Wii. Pretty much a must buy for me. I never did pick up the Genesis cart, and $200 off eBay is ridiculous. Although I dunno if the prices will stay $200 now that everyone has a VC alternative...[/quote]

Holy Shizzle! I had no idea MUSHA had gone up some much in value. I'll have to dump off my cart and get it on the VC.

Well, to be a little more clear, that's just the one overseas seller I see trying to push his import copy. I also saw a cart-only for $70, so YMMV...

Dondonpachi Daijouou Black Label Extra Tasty Crispy (or as I like to call it, the 360 version) finally has an official release date of 2/17/09. I dunno if it's worth a double dip if you already have the PS2 version, but maybe if you are die hard shmup fan. I would think the move to HD would provide some kind of upgrade of some sort, but I really don't know at this point.

Won a copy of Gunbird 2 for the dreamcast last night off ebay for a really decent price. Really excited to get it and play around with it since it's been years since the last time I played on a Gunbird 2 machine.

Just noticed in the deals forum that Raiden Fighters Aces is coming for a U.S. release. It looks like I'll be picking up an Xbox 360 in March! :)

so I got Ultimate Shooting Collection for Wii yesterday.

omg... they seriously fukked it up so bad... so, so, bad lol.

so I'ma use Karous as my basis...

first of all, the game is american and thus translated. Unfortunately, when you are playing it the screen does not fit on my TV!! The bottom and top of the screen are cut off, so I cannot see my life bar, my score, or half the text that appears at the dialogue box at the bottom!! And the game offers no option to fix or adjust this.

and that's not all, what text I can indeed see actually cant really be seen at all... it's so small and squished together that you would need a huge ass TV to decipher any of it. I guess I wont be able to enjoy these games' story lol.

I feel real bad for the company now, becoz sum1 actually put the time and effort to translating all the game's text, then programming it into the game with a brutal space limitation for such a lost cause.

so... in comparison I dropped the japanese karous disc I had into my dreamcast. I cant read japanese worth shyt, but my background in chinese allows me to understand and identify the strokes. I'm glad to say, I can definitely make out the text characters in the japanese version as long as theyre not too complex. Then again, the characters arent squished together there so I dont think this is a fair comparison. Plus the dialog box was made with these characters in mind, so again the programming of this game's domestication was real rushed.

finally, for kicks I put the game into tate mode to see if it solves the screen visibility.

it does, I can see everything, but the text is still squished and this still hard to read.

and then this is where the game really fukks up... in Tate mode, the game not only turns your screen sideways, but your controls too!!!

so when you press UP in tate mode, your character moves left, and when you press LEFT your character moves down!! The tate mode in this game was made to literally play the game while viewing it on its side as opposed to placing your TV on its side!!!

o_O

dumbest shyt ever... seriously. lol.

as far as the games themselves, they are what they are. Theyre fun, but yes they're not cave or capcom shmups. Still, theyre hard to enjoy when you cant even see your lifebar!!

Yeah, I hope they don't mess up the Raiden Fighters Aces collection... I mean, is there even text to translate in that game?

Honestly, just as long as nobody decides to get creative and apply their own personal touch to the game, we'll be fine. Zoo games sounds like a pretty lazy company... I mean, who names a company that? Err... so we should be fine.

Oh, and shameless plug, but I'm selling my PS2 copy of Dodonpachi Daioujou on Ebay: http://cgi.ebay.com/Dodonpachi-Daio...14&_trkparms=72:1205|66:2|65:12|39:1|240:1318

[quote name='anotherpoorgamer']Just noticed in the deals forum that Raiden Fighters Aces is coming for a U.S. release. It looks like I'll be picking up an Xbox 360 in March! :)[/quote]

Wow! This looks amazing. Raiden Jet has got to be on my top 10 of shmups.

How much is it going to be? I'll pass on it for anything more than 800. Two old shooters, even prettier (which is debatable), isn't worth more than 800 for me.

1200 so I hear.

I'm not necessarily passing on it, but it's definitely on my buy list for the future.

February is brutalation nation in your station for reals... $400 for street fighter 4?!?!?! X_X

also if u havent seen this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B71Cqw1ZEFQ

freakin amazing!! It's the Fantasy Zone 2 remake!

it's called... Fantasy Zone II DX

lol

it's on the Sega Ages PS2 game, but if u click the youtube link there is a link for the PC demo!!

You know, even though R-Type D is 1200 points, it looks pretty damn nice. I'm so tempted. I'll def. hang on to the demo and will pick it up if MS ever does another XLBA sale.

Anybody collect shmup related items? I.e. toys, posters, art books? I'd like to find a nice hi-res Cave shmup pic for my HRAP EX.

I spent like $20 or $40 on sum Vic Viper model from play-asia one time...

I put the cockpit together, then I was like omg this is a PAIN IN THE ASS

so the model still chills in its box unassembled lol... I should sell it.

Death Smiles 2 looks cool and all, but I can't help but think that I'm more interested in the first game, since that's the only one I could possibly be playing in the near future.

There hasn't been a new Cave shmup outside of arcades in soooo long. Personally, I'm most excited for Ketsui by far.

bread's done
Back