Shmup News & Discussion

maaan, so not many ppl joined my contest, I guess nobody likes free stuff.

I have less ppl entered than I have prizes so winners will get multiples.

since I posted at work, I'm home now and can give a better description of the prizes:

pa.131326.4.jpg

I'm keeping the Opa Opa & R-Type ones! The six I have left are

2 x Geo Sword
2 x GAIA
1 x R-Gray1
1 x MUSHA Aleste

yes, contrary to the image I do not have a Spriggan toy... I thought Spriggan was an anime...

anyway, rules are on the previous page. plz enter by friday, which means get your score + friend request up by the time I check that evening!

[quote name='fart_bubble']here, on their site

http://www.ufointeractivegames.com/platform.asp?p=xbox360

MSRP: $39.99[/QUOTE]

I guess that makes sense considering the Wii titles are $30, and they have to pay whatever that licensing fee to XBL/MS is.

It's still a lot cheaper than the Import, though I suspect a bunch of people will still piss and moan and ignore the title given how much Valcon was able to charge for RFA.

Luckily, games that UFO releases tend to drop quickly but it won't be a good showing for shmups here in the US.

Would be nice if they would just release them on the arcade but I don't know how well that would work out.

[quote name='JEKKI']maaan, so not many ppl joined my contest, I guess nobody likes free stuff.[/QUOTE]

Oh god, I would have loved that R-Gray. Oh well.

I've been having lots of fun with the Raiden Fighters collection, though. It's totally worth the $20 I paid at Amazon. The music isn't my thing but it doesn't impact blasting little train cars into burning piles of debris.

I'm in total support of Raiden IV when it's released. If the sales are decent then it's likely more games might get ported to the 360. It's still unfortunate that it looks like Thunder Force VI won't get a US PS2 release... I just have issues importing it when I know it's very short and for the same price I can buy half of the Parodius series on consoles.

[quote name='fart_bubble']Luckily, games that UFO releases tend to drop quickly but it won't be a good showing for shmups here in the US.

Would be nice if they would just release them on the arcade but I don't know how well that would work out.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, people here in the West just aren't willing to pay more than $20 for these "old school" type games, and I can understand why. So Raiden IV not a day one for me unfortunately.

I don't get MS's attitude towards shmups, either. These kinds of games seem made for XBLA. I don't get why publishers don't want to use PSN either.

[quote name='gunm']Yeah, people here in the West just aren't willing to pay more than $20 for these "old school" type games, and I can understand why. So Raiden IV not a day one for me unfortunately.
[/QUOTE]

I'm one of them if its just one game. I don't know if its just with being older that I've learned the value of a dollar or what but its hard for me to spend more than that nowadays. Though I do have to admit that I really wish I had the money to pre-order a copy of the DS version Ketsui last year. Guess it might be time that I sell my copy of Electroplankton

[quote name='gunm']Nothing notable on the horizon.[/QUOTE]

that sucks, been having a hankering for a shmup on the go. I guess I could sell my copy of Electroplankton and buy Ketsui but I really don't want to get rid of it as I still play with it

haha, Star Prince is a great ripoff of Star Soldier

I love the whole backstory about it, about how there's like this super pro gamer who can mash buttons faster than anyone so they released a turbo fire controller so u can play like a pro

[quote name='JEKKI']haha, Star Prince is a great ripoff of Star Soldier

I love the whole backstory about it, about how there's like this super pro gamer who can mash buttons faster than anyone so they released a turbo fire controller so u can play like a pro[/QUOTE]

I just wish it was a bit harder and longer.

That whole game kicks quite a bit of ass (even with the first two Haggle Man games really sucking). The magazines are awesome.

My copy of Mamorukun just arrived. Eventually, I'll get that Japanese 360... >_<

In honor of the fourth, I will play a nice old-school shmup this weekend!

[quote name='gunm']My copy of Mamorukun just arrived. Eventually, I'll get that Japanese 360... >_<

In honor of the fourth, I will play a nice old-school shmup this weekend![/QUOTE]

I see your breaking out of your mid-school shmupfort zone. Good to see!

[quote name='JEKKI']I was jus at anime expo and I saw these dood's booth that localize indie JPN games...

http://www.rockinandroid.com/

rite now all they got are shmups... I gotta check them out soon coz they look pretty cool[/QUOTE]

I think gunm has posted about them before. I always tend to look at their site when I have no money. Would love to buy a few of their games. Of course, I would also need a joystick if I ever did get into shmups on the PC

[quote name='fart_bubble']I think gunm has posted about them before. I always tend to look at their site when I have no money. Would love to buy a few of their games. Of course, I would also need a joystick if I ever did get into shmups on the PC[/QUOTE]

I've been using a Saturn controller w/adapter for all my PC shmups (especially imperishable night). It's cheap and there aren't that many other controllers that can compare to it.

Thanks to dallow in the GGT for mentioning that Gaia Seed is available on Jpn PSN!

Now I gotta go find a Jpn PSN card. :p

Unfortunately I don't have my Wii anymore, otherwise I might get it.

Though I'd rather have the physical copy, especially complete. Makes me :drool:

[quote name='JEKKI']Im the only person who doesnt really dig MUSHA... lol.[/QUOTE]

Its been about 15 years but I really dug it. Used to play the shit out of it after Jr. High got out

Sorry, I don't have a pic of the theme, but I do have the cover/package for the US localization (courtesy zerogunner @shmups.com via joystiq):

raiden-4-limited.jpg

[quote name='joystiq']As if we didn't have enough trouble overcoming the elation brought on by the impending North American release of Raiden IV, Joystiq has now received news that the game will also be available in a limited edition. The limited edition will come in two flavors, one exclusive to GameStop. The vanilla, non-GameStop edition will include a bonus soundtrack CD, while the GameStop edition will include the soundtrack and a "secret file," which we're told will include "concept art, boss and enemy data, game strategies, etc."

Also, the press release notes that the game is releasing in September, rather than the previously announced August release window. We suppose one more month is a small price to pay for a spiffy limited edition.[/quote]

Raiden IV might be my first reservation at Gamestop, but I'll wait a little longer. Like others have said, might drop in price and still awhile till it is released.

Ah man, there doing the whole "limited" edition thing with Raiden now. I thought my genre was safe from the nickle and diming publisher BS. It does seem tempting though. They have definitely targeted my soft spot.

[quote name='retroNutZ']Ah man, there doing the whole "limited" edition thing with Raiden now. I thought my genre was safe from the nickle and diming publisher BS. It does seem tempting though. They have definitely targeted my soft spot.[/QUOTE]

not really nickel and dimeing as it doesn't cost anything extra for it

Yeah in the case of RIV, that publisher/distributor tends to price all their ports in that $30-40 range. It is actually good that they are including those extras in the package as I don't think they've really done that kind of thing before for their other releases.

decent doujin shmup hit the community games section on the 360. Its called Crescendo Symphony, its pretty simple but its kinda fun.

Hope to see more shmups hit the service since Japan can now upload games

man I was thinking of picking up that Crescendo Symphony, but dang it looks terrible.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9JUeRDLiVc

Ima go play Keio Flying Squadron instead...

other than that,

if u got a iphone/ipod touch u GOTTA get that Space Invaders Infinity Gene!!!

Im seriously dumbfounded an iphone game could be this good, let alone be a fantastic shmup.

also, Strikers 1945 Plus available via download on PSP.

u should get it since the doods who brought it over were the same doods who brought DJ Max Fever.

gotta support!!

I reserved Raiden IV at Gamestop last week.

Strikers 1945 Plus is tempting to download on my PSP, but I'm holding out until Raiden Project is released on the PSN.

I'm a little looking forward to Raystorm on the XBLA. I already have it on the PSone and on Taito Legends 2 for the PS2. I want RayForce and RayCrisis, then I'm sold on XBLA games!

[quote name='JEKKI']man I was thinking of picking up that Crescendo Symphony, but dang it looks terrible.
[/QUOTE]

I got my money's worth out of it.

[quote name='gunm']http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q38PYpyetrU

Might pick this doujin shmup up. Looks like a lot of timed dashing though...[/QUOTE]

doesn't look bad, something to remember during D2D's next sale. Though I'm still waiting for Rockin' Android to release Flying Red Barrel and the Gundemonium Collection

Strikers 1945 Plus could not be more bare bones. Unless I'm totally missing something, there isn't even a difficulty setting. Granted, it starts out pretty challenging but anyone that manages to finish it on the default settings doesn't really have anything else to strive for. For $12 I'm not too furious but damn if I had been trying to import the UMD at like 45, I'd throw my PSP into a wall.

hopefully this time MS will let them put out a game on XBLA

http://www.gamerbytes.com/2009/08/cave_asks_what_game_would_you.php

Tuesday, August 18, 2009
XBLA: CAVE Asks - What Game Would You Like To See On XBLA?

Early last year we learned that two of CAVE's popular shooters, Dodonpachi Daioujou Black Label X and Ketsui X , were denied their chance to be on the Xbox Live Arcade, and instead went to retail in Japan.

But they're not giving up just yet! On the official CAVE blog the developers are asking you this - "What CAVE game would you like to see come to the Xbox Live Arcade?"

The developers want their fans to e-mail them at [email protected] with the header "XBLA" and which game you want to see. CAVE will then give a presentation for the most popular choice to Microsoft for it possibly getting onto Xbox Live Arcade.

This isn't an official poll like the Sega one appears to be, but they are willing to go and present their most popular title to Microsoft for a second time.

So CAVE fans - get to it!

[Thanks to Chris Nutt for help with the translation]

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm kind of resigned to just importing disc versions and getting an import 360 already. Speaking of Japan 360, Mushihimesama Futari 1.5 is slated for pre-orders soon. As is Espgaluda II Black.

[quote name='gunm']I'm kind of resigned to just importing disc versions and getting an import 360 already. Speaking of Japan 360, Mushihimesama Futari 1.5 is slated for pre-orders soon. As is Espgaluda II Black.[/QUOTE]

wish I could afford to go that route.

also wish there were more shmups coming out for the DS. Would love something like R-Type to come out for the DS

Man, I would love to see Mars Matrix as an XBLA game.
Gonna get an iPhone this weekend so I am definitely gonna download Space Invaders. Any other shmups on the iPhone worth buying?

I never thought the iphone controls were very conducive for shmupping. Space Invaders is probably the best one. There's also Sky Thunder, Sentry Alpha, Light Wars, Glandarius Wing Strike, Tyrian, and probably slew of others. I have no idea how these are 'cause again, I'm not real keen on touch controls for the kind of arcade shooting games we talk about in this thread.

If you do decide to get any besides Space Invaders, please let us know how it goes.

they have rRootage for iphone too.

but apparently it has no sound and doesnt work on 3GS

space invaders is cool until all the oil comes off your fingertip and there's like maad friction between your finger and the screen causing your ship to stop moving.

lol

bread's done
Back