Shmup News & Discussion

[quote name='gunm']I have it, but I have no where near leaderboard quality scores. :p

I love shmups, but I'm not very good at them, lol.[/QUOTE]

so we are in the same boat then

for the curious, after buying both of the extra characters for Raiden IV, the fairy is the best character of the two if you only want to buy one (though that is how it usually goes in the Raiden games)

[quote name='JEKKI']yeay I have a japanese dsi. I dont think u can access japanese dsi store on a domestic unit.[/QUOTE]

And this is why I will not waste my money buying an American DSi. Why would I want to download a bunch of shitty apps. made by stupid former PC developer Gaijin(Tim Schafer, Monolith, Betheda and Bioware are excluded from this list of course) on the American one? Never mind potentially bad translations for the Japanese ones. There's gotta be some way this can eventually be gotten around though.
I have to say this is one of the big reasons why I oppose things going online in general though(games, movies, etc.). The region locking just goes back into effect.
Oh and congrats to the person who bought an import 360. You made a wise decision on a variety of fronts. You can get cheaper ASIAN versions of good Western games with English included. Just look at the savings you'll find on them at Play-Asia. Also you get access to Japanese games that may never be released here or just shittier versions in the U.S. Note 99 Nights whom some do not like the dubs and I quite frankly hate dubs in general. You can apply this to all EnixSquare games. Oh and it's not just the shmup's that are exclusive. I'm sure you might find other games you're interested in.
On a side note am I the only one thinking about buying a few Doujin shmup's and other things for PC? I know a site that sells a bunch of em' and they run like $25 and below. Heck one of them looks a bit like a ripoff of SOTN, just with you playing a girl instead with what looks like possibly some fighting elements.

[quote name='Halo05']Is that the same as the (I think) identically named PSP game?[/QUOTE]

didn't know it got a PSP release but yeah, same game

still trying to make up my mind on if I pick it up or not.

Platypus got its release in the Indie Game section, been a long time since I've played this and I've got to say that it holds up quite well. Good deal for $5 and its nice that Anthony Flack is making money (which I think he is funneling into his upcoming Cletus Clay).

[QUOtTE=gunm;6534183]Anyone getting Mushihime for 360? Supposedly Region-Free:

[/QUOTE]

Yeah I got the LE preordered hopefully it comes through and doesn't get cancelled

getting a Wii and trying to figure out what VC games I want to buy sucks ass. Lords Of Thunder and MUSHA are a must but after that, its head scratching time

[quote name='JEKKI']
There's also Gate of Thunder and Star Parodier for Turbo Grafx on VC.

there's also a new Star Soldier game on wii ware, but I have not tried that one...

and Gradius Rebirth on wii ware is a must as well.[/QUOTE]

could never get into Gate Of Thunder. Yeah, its the prequel to Lords Of Thunder but something about it never clicked with me the few times I played it when it came out.

Forgot about Star Parodier, used to love renting that game.

Dunno about Star Soldier R, something about only having 2 and 5 minute runs turn me off.

Keep forgetting Gradius Rebirth had come out

Thought I might get some eyes in this shmup thread. Does anyone here own R-Type Delta for PlayStation? I am looking for a scan of the interior case art (the backside of the back cover).

[quote name='yoshi9784']Thought I might get some eyes in this shmup thread. Does anyone here own R-Type Delta for PlayStation? I am looking for a scan of the interior case art (the backside of the back cover).[/QUOTE]

RTD.jpg

done and done

Also, My copy of mushihime-sama LE shipped from NCSX today :D

[quote name='XxSmityxX'][QUOtTE=gunm;6534183]Anyone getting Mushihime for 360? Supposedly Region-Free:

[/QUOTE]

Yeah I got the LE preordered hopefully it comes through and doesn't get cancelled[/QUOTE]

I am, too. Just not sure where to order.

Raiden Fighters Aces is the main one. There's also Raiden IV, but it's not really "cheap". The rest are imports or XBLA titles.

Love the genre but the games need to be on PS3 or Wii. Or PS2, as I have a number of them already for that console.

[quote name='sighrex']Are there any good cheap shmups for the 360? I've got money to blow.[/QUOTE]

Well, I'm making one:
http://dualityzf.com/

Don't mind the 7 month old trailer.

I also own Raiden Fighter Aces ($20) and Raiden IV ($40), as well as lots of XBLA shooters. I would say Raiden IV is the best one.

[quote name='kitlink']
RTD.jpg

done and done

Also, My copy of mushihime-sama LE shipped from NCSX today :D[/QUOTE]

Kitlink! You are amazing. Thanks.

most of the time I spent has been on Xbox Original.

I should try Maniac mode later... I'll prolly suck ass at it but with enough practice that should change.

[quote name='gunm']Raiden Fighters Aces is the main one. There's also Raiden IV, but it's not really "cheap". The rest are imports or XBLA titles.[/QUOTE]
Thanks, the two raiden games were the only ones I can find. Hopefully more good stuff comes out in the future.

[quote name='JEKKI']most of the time I spent has been on Xbox Original.

I should try Maniac mode later... I'll prolly suck ass at it but with enough practice that should change.[/QUOTE]
Yeah just learn where the enemys come out and where there bullet pattern goes and you will be getting up there!

I usually just play maniac due to the scoring system in that mode I prefer. Its the whole save the gems cash them in by holding shot on bigger enemys, bosses and what not.

[quote name='62t']Japanese Xbox 360 was well worth the money. Just wish I can afford the games[/QUOTE]

Funny, I have a couple of Jgames, but no J360. :(

Just thought this may be the best place to say since most shmups seem to stay in Japan. If anyone is interested in getting a 360 from here, I am offering to try and get them to you (CML). They are better pricing than eBay although still not really cheap honestly due to shipping. Anyway, if anyone is interested, I will try to help out.

I, for one, love the amount of shmups that come out here. I recently got rid of my Death Smiles LE and my Mamoru-kun LE due to my tight financial situation. If I can start exporting 360s, maybe I can get enough money over time to get them back! LOL

I blogged about mushifutari on the 1UP

http://www.1up.com/do/blogEntry?bId=9011885

if u gotta acount there, plz give me a 'thumbs up' so I can get on the front page!!

anyway Im at 48 mil rite now, and I've recognized the key parts where I keep dying.

the whole time I tend to play without bombs, now Ima bust them out at those parts!

50 mil!!! let's do it!!

anyone ever played Choujikuu Yousai Macross: Scrambled Valkyrie for SNES. Are there any other shumps that have transforming robots as the figther?

Yes, there are. My favorite is probably Hyper Duel on Saturn. In fact, there is a Macross game based on the "Do You Remember Love" movie on Saturn where you can transform between the different modes. I'm sure there are few more, but those are the ones I can remember off the top of my head that are any good.

Thanks guys, hopefully, I can find them and get a chance to play them. My favorite Shump is Arrow Flash, although I think that I'm probably the only person that likes it, but the action, the ship/robot and the Music, kept me playing this game over and over.... so much so, I would make up my own story to go with the game and play though it like that. Or sometimes I'd play through it, just to her the music. I hope that the PS3 gets some more shooters since the system is region free you won't have to worry about trying to get a Jsystem.

Last edited by a moderator:
lol. yeay like u can have expectations on a shmup... especially one that goes for full price, you're not selling outside your core audience.

*begins saving up for espgaluda II*

I still don't understand why Japanese companies aren't releasing shmups on the PS3. Sure, Mushihime isn't region locked but everything else is. Did Sony reinstate their old "No 2d unless its a compilation!" rule or what?

bread's done
Back