Shmup News & Discussion

[quote name='Mr. Anderson']I just got a Saturn today (yess!!). What are some of ya'lls favorite Saturn shmups?

(I'm getting an Action Replay cart)[/QUOTE]

God there are so many good ones.

My favorites are...

Radiant Silvergun (hard to say if it's worth the asking price but I still think it stands as one of the best games on the Saturn)
Strikers 1945 (I'd include 2 too but I don't own the Saturn version)
Sokyugurentai Otokuyo (the original version "Sokyugurentai" will appear corrupted when played via an AR cart)

EDIT - Almost forgot, two cheap, good US shooters are Galactic Attack and Darius Gaiden.

Nice, that game is pretty rare!

I wonder if the rights are with Cave or Capcom? It'd be cool have it on a home system, but I'm guessing the lack of popularity and the licensing will keep it off the table.

Looks good. I'm glad they didn't completely redo the graphics ala that new TMNT game. They cleaned up Raystorm nicely.

I'll hope for 400 points but 800 will still be a must-buy.

I was at Arcade UFO a couple days ago (quarter games all day for the one year anniversary!), and I spied a cool looking shmup in the corner.

It was Dodonpachi! It's a little pricey on the Saturn, but you can't beat 25 cents a play! My girl and I got through a couple bosses, and it was quite fun. Maybe one day I'll snatch it on eBay.

And I have a question for you shmup fantatics: where do you get your imports that you can't find on eBay?

[quote name='gunm']Raystorm HD is looking good. I hope they bring it over here.[/QUOTE]

everything I've read and throw in the fact that the German USK board has rated it (it was the first thing to tip off about it) makes me think that this will get a release over here. Can't think of much that has gotten a EU rating and haven't made it out here in the US

[quote name='Mr. Anderson']
And I have a question for you shmup fantatics: where do you get your imports that you can't find on eBay?[/QUOTE]

Play-asia sometimes gets Saturn games in stock. Their prices are high but every used game I've gotten from them has been pristine.

Wolfgames.com is a little import place that deals in mostly older Saturn and PC Engine stuff. Prices are reasonable considering he's in the US so shipping is cheap.

NCSX.com used to be my goto place for import-anything but they focus on new things so their Saturn selection is slim and shrinking.

Alternatively, just join the military and try to get stationed in Japan.;)

One of the biggest problems with the SHMUP genre is screen orientation. This is also a function of the decline of the arcade. In an arcade, you can have a vertically oriented monitor in a cabinet. For a home console, this is not really possible. It would require that the user be able to easily rotate their entire screen 90 degrees. For most people, rotating their television like that is not an option. Because of this, vertically-oriented shmups have been slightly hamstrung. For horizontal shmups, there is no problem. But vertically oritented shmups have allways seemed to be slightly more popular than their horizontal brethren.

[quote name='Mr. Anderson']And I have a question for you shmup fantatics: where do you get your imports that you can't find on eBay?[/QUOTE]

I got most of my Saturn shmups on eBay, actually one seller in particular who was piecemeal selling off his collection--the guy had some rare items in really nice condition. Was able to get most of the ones I wanted at a fairly good price.

Besides eBay, I've used Play-Asia and Palet Web Japan. I also tried this store in HK once for a DC game, and that went ok, but I forgot the name of the place already.

that Raystorm HD remake was exactly what I was looking for. I also got around to testing out some of the iPhone shmups and would have to agree with everyone else. It's just not ideal for precise shmupery, Although the new Space Invaders game is just too good to pass up for less then great controls.

whoo! look what I got!!

10qymfm.jpg

I donno what it's called... but my japanese dsi has 1000 free points so I bought this!!

made by Arika.

I already beat the normal mode, which kinda makes it impossible to die since u have a health bar that regenerates.

hard mode has different mechanics and death in one hit. anyways it's actually pretty fun!!

-edit-

it's called Aa Mujou Setsuna

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ds/dsiware/k59j/index.html

Yes, unfortunately, although the DS cartridges are still region-free, the DSi Shop is not. Only Japan DSis can connect to Japan DSi shop. I haven't heard of a work around yet, so if you really want Japanese DSiware, you'll need to import your DSi.

lol! gamestop exclusive pdf!!

nv1vuv.jpg

lol x 2! Amazon doesnt get their copy til halloween!! gotta wait like well over a month...

lol x 3, for a $40 game, I hear there are extra ships as paid DLC!

[quote name='JEKKI']lol! gamestop exclusive pdf!!
[/QUOTE]

thats what the description said it would be so anyone shocked didn't read closely enough. I'm going to take it that the code is the same on every copy?

[quote name='JEKKI']lol x 2! Amazon doesnt get their copy til halloween!! gotta wait like well over a month...[/QUOTE]

that is shitty

[quote name='JEKKI']lol x 3, for a $40 game, I hear there are extra ships as paid DLC!
[/QUOTE]

yeah, there are two of them so far at 80 points a piece. Should have been free or included them on the disc

Thanks for the code! Amazon was also pushed back to October, I don't think that's a "GameStop Exclusive", either. :p

Yeah, the price is laaaamme. Unfortunately, that particular publisher prices all their games like $10 more than they should be. I really wish the guys that brought over RFA had done it, but oh well...at least it's coming over here, and still cheaper than importing right now.

http://www.gamerbytes.com/2009/09/dsiware_becoming_the_place_for.php
DSiWare: DSiWare Becoming The Place For Shmups?
zonewonder.png

Japanese studio Genterprise are on a mission, a mission to release small DSiWare titles released at the low, low price of 200 Nintendo Points. Today they have revealed G.G Wonder Story and G.G Zone, two new shmups coming to the DSi.

Wonder Story is a vertical shooter which, somehow, is based off of Alice in Wonderland, while Zone is a side scrolling shooter where you can shoot in 8 directions.

Earlier this month Japan also received Aa Mujou Setsuna, another vertical shooter made by an Arika / Nintendo collaboration. While Japanese developers have spoken previously about the difficulties getting their titles, and specifically shooters, onto the Xbox Live Arcade, it appears DSiWare is having no such trouble.

While none of their games have been revealed for the Western audience, it's certainly better than all this silly express stuff we've been seeing. Hopefully we'll be getting it soon.

Source: Genterprise via Andriasang

fuuuuuuk... japanese dsi points are expensive.

*buys them anyways* lol

btw I bought Strikers 1945 Plus for PSP.

got damn this game is hella hard!! I donno if it's coz of how the game is ported or the size of the screen or what, your hitbox is huge, it's hard to dodge shyt, and u move slow so it's hard to shoot things before they shoot you. Plus it's hard to use a dpad for me.

I havent played a shmup since salamander/gradius which had me constantly hitting continue every 30 seconds lol, but that was on the PSP too.

[quote name='Mr. Anderson']
And I have a question for you shmup fantatics: where do you get your imports that you can't find on eBay?[/QUOTE]

Come and join us at shmups.com forums! You could probably find DDP for Saturn for probably 30 bucks, we don't overcharge each other. Best deal on shmups hands down.

Darius Gaiden get!

I read this is a great shooter, and one of the best on the Saturn. Hopefully it lives up.

I got it for 13 bucks shipped from Japan. Not too shabby!

Thanks EXStrike! Pretty excited about this news...hopefully they re-release or port over Death Smiles eventually.

It's like $109 to preorder at NCSX but it comes with a disclaimer that it could go up.

I'll be happy enough with the regular version.

I really hate Kotaku but...

http://kotaku.com/5370354/cave-wants-to-bring-its-manic-shooters-global
Cave Wants To Bring Its Manic Shooters Global
By Michael McWhertor, 12:30 PM on Tue Sep 29 2009, 433 views (Edit, to draft, Slurp)

Cave general manager Makato Asada has plans to bring the company's frantic shoot-em-ups to a larger audience, one that spans beyond Japanese arcades and a few import enthusiasts. Maybe even to your PC.

While Cave's releases, titles like DoDonPachi, Mushihime-sama and Death Smiles, are readily available in Japan, getting your hands on them in the West isn't always easy. You'd typically need a Japanese PlayStation 2 or Xbox 360 to play them. But that's going to change, first with the region-free release of Mushihime-sama Futari for the Xbox 360 this November.

Asada told Kotaku in an interview that Cave is looking at global releases of its games, full-fledged Xbox Live Arcade titles of certain titles and Valve's Steam service as a means of distribution. None of that is set in stone, mind you, but Asada sounded upbeat about Cave's new opportunities.

"We don't know anything at this point with regards to Xbox Live Arcade," Asada clarified, "but we can say that the person in charge of these ports at Cave and the person in charge of XBLA authorizations for the United States met today on the TGS floor. It depends on where those discussions go in regard to Guwonge on XBLA."

Guwange, for those who don't know, is a 1999 shooter with a traditional Japanese theme. It was the Cave game that readers of the company's blog chose as the title they'd like to see come to Xbox Live Arcade.

But before Guwange or any other XBLA ports arrive—Asada hinted at the possibility of an Xbox Live Arcade remake of chubby shooter Muchi Muchi Pork with a revamped gameplay system—Cave has some more disc-based titles planned.

"Right now, we're working on a few titles for localization," Asada said. Again, take caution. "This is currently all in talks. With regards to Death Smiles, we can say that it's currently in progress and hopefully soon we'll be able to give overseas users news about its release."

Asada also hinted at something unannounced, something not based on its previous releases. And something designed with a more global audience in mind.

"Right now at Cave we're working on a new title, and we want it to be worldwide," Asada said. "It's going to have to sell to a worldwide audience, so there might be a possibility that we would tailor it [to Western tastes] in that sense."

Does that mean no insect queens or gothic lolita girls? Well, not exactly.

"If we lost that, we would sort of lose what makes us Cave, so we'll have to keep that," Asada said.

What else does Cave have in its future? Despite Asada's personal preference for playing first-person shooters like Quake, Counter-strike, Halo, and Call of Duty 4 online, the company has no plans to enter that market.

But it's not opposed to venturing into totally new genres.

"Capcom Vs. Cave would be a pretty interesting fighting game," Asada said.

I'm guessing they're going to need to sell a few more copies of Death Smiles before that happens. But, hey, Capcom asked.

Yeah, I'm not crazy about loltaku either, but Mushi going region-free seems like a fair start to me. I'm keeping my PA pre-order for the regular edition for sure now, and may consider asking PA to upgrade me to the LE if and when they open up pre-orders for that. Man, what a cock-tease on Guwange. I've been wanting to play that on my big screen for a while now.

I remembered one shump was denied for Live release and MS made them release it on disc. But since the cap for Live game is 2GB now maybe things will be different.

IIRC, MS denied Ketsui and Dodonpachi for Live because they "wanted to cut down on the number of faithful arcade ports" on the service. Whatever the fuck that means. I never understood that whole argument since it's called Xbox Live Arcade, not Xbox Live Brand New IP Games.

Flying Red Barrel was released a couple of days ago. Its okay, not great but not bad either. Cool art style that doesn't translate well to screenshots. Worth the $10 though if you don't already own the Suguri games (if not, skip this and buy those instead)

because Best Buy isn't getting Pinball Hall Of Fame, I ended up spending my $20 in Rewards cards on Raiden IV.

Anyone pick this up? Wouldn't mind getting some people to compare to on the leaderboards.

Also, fuck the Japanese and their 100 million points

I have it, but I have no where near leaderboard quality scores. :p

I love shmups, but I'm not very good at them, lol.

bread's done
Back