Shmup News & Discussion

I'm waiting for Ketsui 360 also.

I'm glad I didn't import DDP DJO 360--I hear it's pretty buggy.

Oddly enough, Shooting Love 360 has been getting better buzz than I expected. I don't have Trizeal or Exzeal, so I may bite if PA ever has another 20% off sale or Strikebang promo.

According to the Gamestop Pricedrop thread, Ultimate Shooting Collection is now $20. I don't have a Wii, but that seems like a decent price.

Only about 2 weeks until Raiden Fighters Aces comes out for the Xbox 360! :)

Amazon pushed back the ship date of my Raiden Fighters Aces pre-order to 4/13/09.

Looks like GS is also pushing back their date to 4/7/09.

[quote name='gunm']Amazon pushed back the ship date of my Raiden Fighters Aces pre-order to 4/13/09.

Looks like GS is also pushing back their date to 4/7/09.[/quote]

I really hope this doesn't get cancelled like the Gamecube version of Radio Allergy! :(

I don't think it will be. Radio Allergy/Radilgy/Rajiruji/whatever was trying to come out on the near-dead since late 2005 Gamecube. The company bringing Raiden Fighters Aces out over here is trying to publish it on a very strong console.

Note - This is also me trying to stay positive. I'll be heartbroken if it gets cancelled.

hmm so Ketsui is getting a 360 port. Would be nice if the game shipped region free (though I doubt it) or if it got a US release be it an actual disc release or an Arcade release (doubt that as well)

dang Gradius Rebirth came out this week on wii ware I think...

I want it, but every shmup I buy on Wii I never finish -_-

Star Parodier, Lords of Thunder, Gates of Thunder... theyre all chillin

[quote name='JEKKI']oh whaaaaat?!?! did u guys kno it's SHMUP month?!?!?!

http://www.shmupmonth.com/

I gotta get home soon and send a message to the doods so I can enter the contest!!![/quote]

Damn! My chances of winning just got smaller. Yeah, I already did the R-Type challenge. Drunken Gamer Radio is having a feature on shmups for the entire month, including guides (SCIENCE!), reviews, and the Shmopera 2009! March just starting suckingless.

[quote name='gunm']Ruh roh, amazon pushed my Raiden Fighters Aces pre-order back again, this time to first week of May.[/QUOTE]

at least it got an actual official press release that yes, it will be coming out in May

[quote name='gunm']I've been remiss on updating this thread, so here's some links to the Japanese Mamoru-kun semi-ground based shooter:

http://www.grev.co.jp/mamonoro/index.html

Famitsu screens:

http://www.famitsu.com/game/coming/1222568_1407.html

Release date is June 25th, and pre-orders are open for regular and LE editions:

http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-br-49-en-70-3aya.html (LE)

http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-br-77-1-49-en-15-Mamoru_kun-70-3ahs.html (Regular)
[/quote]

This game looks pretty bad ass. I almost wish I didn't get to see all the great Japan only shmups that will probably never see their way to the US. Am I right for assuming this wont come to the US?

Also, Raiden Fighter Aces is now on pre-order for under $20!

It's hard to say. While most of these will likely stay Japan only, there may be an exception here or there...for example, I didn't think Senko no Ronde would get a US port, but it did.

I dunno for sure, but the order is in "Preparing Order" status. I hope that's good!

And here's that Square Enix overhead multiplayer shmup I forgot to post about yesterday:

http://gamevideos.1up.com/video/id/24447

Looks kinda Asteroids-ish.

Edit: Success! Just got an email conf. from PA that they shipped me a Death Smiles LE! I wonder if this one is going the way of Border Down LE in terms of long term demand/supply?

Last edited by a moderator:
Sweetness, my DS LE from PA arrived! It's not a very big package at all--like two regular 360 cases stuck together in thickness. Crazy the drama that ensued out of this thing. I sure hope the distributors don't do this kind of shit again. :/

I've been randomly playing games off Taito Legends Volume 2 on PS2 using my HRAP. I had forgotten how good Darius Gaiden is. Definitely not bullet-hell but there is something very charming about it. I used to be able to nearly 1cc the Saturn version so either I'm older/slower or the arcade defaults are harder than the Saturn defaults.

Oh my god. Raiden Fighters Aces is amazing. The last time I played a game that felt so 'right' was when I first wandered out into the Capital Wasteland in Fallout 3. I realize that doesn't seem so long ago but... man, this is really something special.

It has so many things that I like. Great value @ 20 bucks, tons of different ships to play as, driving music, multi-part bosses, bosses that cover more or less a whole stage while you knock turrets and stuff off... I had to stop because my thumb hurts but my god, I am so happy this got a US release. It deserves all the sales it can muster and more.

yeah, I'll second the feelings of Raiden Fighters Aces. Played the shit out of the demo and I've been playing the shit out of the game.

There is one thing that does bug me though, the uploading the scores to the global scoreboard is a bit buggy. A few times where I've beaten my high score but as its loading to the scoreboard, it says I've been dropped from Live which makes no sense as I'm still signed in (one time I was talking to a friend as it said that). Other than that, its a really good port. Luckily they didn't do much when they translated it from the Japan release.

Hope it does well enough so that we see more shmups on the 360 get released over here

Man, who'd a thunk that people would be going apeshit over RFA?? I hope there's enough sales that we get more of these ported over. I'm thinking Raiden IV is a prime candidate.

Anyway, my copy should arrive tomorrow, so I'll be playin' it over the weekend.

Im finally getting my Death Smiles LE which was hand carried here from Japan tomorrow. Can't wait. I played it in the arcade in Japan and almost 1-credited the game (lost it all on the FINAL boss). Cant tell you how annoying it was to pop 100Y to finish the game *grumble*

Yeah obviously being a shmup fan its a very PRIME reason to own a J360. I Just discovered this thread today as ive been posting alot in the RFA thread in the Video Game Deals Section. So dam nice to add another shmup to the J360 collection :D. I got the domestic copy of RFA already even though I had my JP copy. Extremely pleased how they ported it as well as the cheap price. I'll be getting a 2nd copy as a gift for a buddy who loves that game.

Good to hear the positive feedback regarding RFA, I should be getting my copy next week! Im kinda over the lack of co-op, not a big deal.

dood fuck Knoxximus.... I was up all nite trying to beat his high score in Raiden 1 which is a mere 2,2000,000 but I could barely hit 2,000,000

but the biggest fucker is fart bubble!!! wtf u guys suck!!!

[quote name='JEKKI']dood fuck Knoxximus.... I was up all nite trying to beat his high score in Raiden 1 which is a mere 2,2000,000 but I could barely hit 2,000,000

but the biggest fucker is fart bubble!!! wtf u guys suck!!![/QUOTE]

yeah, my third place score (as of this morning) was a fluke. Its just under 2 million more than what I've come to on a regular basis. Its all about building up those 10000 medals to 100000 medals and shit really racks up. I need to get better on the second game, I'm still loafing around the bottom half of the top 10.

Also, keep in mind that I've sunk a good 15 hours or so in already. Only ship I play as is the slave version of the Judge Spear.

Just give it a week or so and I'll be way down the lists. I love playing shmups but I suck horribly playing them.

edit: Also, does anyone know how to unlock the Almost Master achievement (10 million in bonus points)? I know that over all I've blown it away a long time ago and I know that I got in my Raiden Jet high score but yet it still hasn't unlocked for me.

Last edited by a moderator:
So I finally got around to playing RFA, and the game is great but god fucking damn I can't stand the 360 D-Pad. How do you guys play such a high skill level game with such a shitty D-Pad. Are you guys using sticks and fighting pads?

I'm not sure if I am ready to throw down the cash for those controllers. All jokes aside, has anyone tried this:

20090104020700qS6m.jpg

http://en.gamers.com/news/view_3770.html

Seems like it would fit well for shmup playing and I can find the kit used for $15!

I've been playing with the analog stick on the regular 360 controller all this time. I dunno why, as I have an EX2. >_<

I wonder if my score would improve if I used it, lol.

[quote name='gunm']I've been playing with the analog stick on the regular 360 controller all this time. [/QUOTE]

Ditto. It seems to work fine. The times I die aren't the controller's fault.

yeah, I've been playing with the 360 controller (Still need to get around to fixing my Soul Caliber stick). In the 20 or so hours that I've put in, haven't come across any deaths caused by the controller, just my own stupidity.

o yah, I never showed u guys what I got

2113pm9.jpg

35lbu6w.jpg

I bought 8 of these jus to increase my chances of getting he two that I wanted lol.

now I got 6 of them left that I dont really have need for.

so... let's have a little giveaway/contest!!!!!

basically the rules are, to be eligible you must already have a post in this thread (no lurkers!!!)

then add me to your xbox 360 friends list and place a score on the Raiden 1 leaderboards for normal mode.

the top player will get their choice of the remaining prizes, and it will go down from there until the 6th person gets something.

remember to PM me on CAG if you're interested in doing this to make sure I have a CAG handle and XBOX handle to associate with each other.

Raiden IV will be a disc only release from UFO Interactive sometime in August (they say).

UFO has yet to release a 360 title, but based on their Wii ports, it is probably going to be in the $30 neighborhood.

So $40 for Raiden IV. I love the genre but I don't know if I could stomach that much for the game. This one I think I'll be waiting for a price drop till it hits the $20-25 region

bread's done
Back