Sid Meier's Civilization Revolution - Gen. Discussion & Info

In Civ 2, time passed at different rates according to what year you were in. Early on (like 4000 BC), time would pass in chunks of 100 years. As you got closer to the modern era, the flow of time would slow down.

Got the game, played through once on Chieftain with Rome, achieving a cultural victory. I fucking love it. if you all want to play online, the tag is X Matt Young X.

I don't see a quick price drop happening like a lot of you predicted. 2k just had a press release stating that the first run has been completely sold out, and that they're rushing to start up a second run to meet demand. :)

Have absolutely no regrets paying full retail for this game, it's just as addicting as other installments. This week has been hell on my sleep schedule.

Damn, got Flatout instead, civ game is on low availability I guess I can't rent it. Having such great reception I think I'll use part of my paycheck this week and grab it off amazon.

[quote name='davyd']

Have absolutely no regrets paying full retail for this game, it's just as addicting as other installments. This week has been hell on my sleep schedule.[/quote]

seriously. I was playing until 1:30am the other night banging out a domination victory on Deity. the next day at work I nearly fell asleep twice. had to force my eyes open.

[quote name='kromekoran']seriously. I was playing until 1:30am the other night banging out a domination victory on Deity. the next day at work I nearly fell asleep twice. had to force my eyes open.[/quote]

Yeah I was playing a multiplayer match last night and it lasted till about 1am when I finally got a technology victory.

I was really tired at work and almost fell asleep but after I went to lunch I started feeling better, haha.

if you want to level the playing field on Deity try the Beta Cantari scenario. you and the AI start with all the techs, so there's nothing you have to research and you can just focus on gold. the barbarians will pump out attackers and get your modern infantry units all kinds of bonuses before the AI attacks. your capital will be damn near impenetrable. the AI will still be assholes, but they won't be assholes with armies of artillery against your riflemen with no bonuses.

you can get three Deity cheezmints this way, except for the Tech victory, if you care about such things.

The last achievement I have left is the encounter all Great People one. I'm missing three. Spent the past two days getting all of the deity achievements the old fashioned way. Played a few games as Rome pumping out 500+ culture per term but I still wasn't able to find those last three great people. Guess I'll just pick them up over the course of normal playing.

I finally picked this up a few days ago, but haven;t got to play the full version yet. Curious if the rest of you had trouble finding it? All but one of the 4 or 5 GameStop's closest to me were out of it, and the one I did get it at said they'd been selling out of it every time they got it in - I got the last copy, that someone had had on hold but hadn't picked up.

[quote name='PleasantOne']I finally picked this up a few days ago, but haven;t got to play the full version yet. Curious if the rest of you had trouble finding it? All but one of the 4 or 5 GameStop's closest to me were out of it, and the one I did get it at said they'd been selling out of it every time they got it in - I got the last copy, that someone had had on hold but hadn't picked up.[/quote]

Yeah I am low on cash and really wanted this game. I did however have 50 bucks or so in credit, so I had to go to Gamestop to get it. Found out online that one store had it that was within 15 miles. After a week of checking and calling. Turns out it, I went to the wrong gamestop and the one online was a new store on the same street than the one I went to. Clerk was awesome called over there without me even asking, but the other store just sold their last copy. Dude said he was sorry, and while in the parking lot he chased after me and tells me the box he was opening while talking to me had a few copies at the bottom!

See not all Gamestops are bad, and I told that guy how much I appreciate a nice Gamestop employee/store.

[quote name='gareman']Yeah I am low on cash and really wanted this game. I did however have 50 bucks or so in credit, so I had to go to Gamestop to get it. Found out online that one store had it that was within 15 miles. After a week of checking and calling. Turns out it, I went to the wrong gamestop and the one online was a new store on the same street than the one I went to. Clerk was awesome called over there without me even asking, but the other store just sold their last copy. Dude said he was sorry, and while in the parking lot he chased after me and tells me the box he was opening while talking to me had a few copies at the bottom!

See not all Gamestops are bad, and I told that guy how much I appreciate a nice Gamestop employee/store.[/quote]

You should repay the favor and take the survey gamestop has for customers. The link/code should be at the bottom of your receipt. Good reviews are one of the ways employees get promoted/pay raise. I always give out good reviews if someone goes out of my way to help me out.

[quote name='PleasantOne']I finally picked this up a few days ago, but haven;t got to play the full version yet. Curious if the rest of you had trouble finding it? All but one of the 4 or 5 GameStop's closest to me were out of it, and the one I did get it at said they'd been selling out of it every time they got it in - I got the last copy, that someone had had on hold but hadn't picked up.[/quote]Nobody around me had it the day it came out, but my BlockBuster got it the Friday that it released.

I love this game and I've gotten three of my friends into it, so we have played a few matches together. If you guys ever want to get a CAG game going, post the time and date.

my local gs only got 2 copies in stock and they both sold out :(..looks like its gonna be tough since i dont see any used copies still..im gonna trade in viking and orange box to pick this up.. civ has never let me down and i only hear good things :)

Hmm, still waiting for this online, bought it from buy.com for 60 bucks. I really enjoyed the demo and I can see myself playing this a lot and a lot down the road as well.

I am a afraid of this game.

I have been playing every other day for the past 6 days. Every time I pick it up I tell myself I am just going to play for a bit.......5 hours later I am forcing myself to stop. The next day I flip on 360 look at the clock and just imagine a quarter of the day disappearing, and quickly find another game to play or just shut it off right away. Rinse and repeat. This game will eat your life and will love every second of it.

I want to at least beat warrior two more times, before I even think of online. And once I do that I am pretty sure my friends and significant other will hate me. At least my cats and rats won't........since I assume they will dead from not being fed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok I've been playing this game for a while now. I can do warlord easily but not king, wow I suck huh. I just realized the other day, by reading the manual lol, that you can switch cities focus to wealth. Yea it really helps when you have money to rush production lol. How can you tell an AI enemy to give you something or go to war like the way they do to you all the time?

[quote name='Spybreak8']Ok I've been playing this game for a while now. I can do warlord easily but not king, wow I suck huh. I just realized the other day, by reading the manual lol, that you can switch cities focus to wealth. Yea it really helps when you have money to rush production lol. How can you tell an AI enemy to give you something or go to war like the way they do to you all the time?[/quote]

Hit the diplomacy button (I believe it is the right bumper?) that will pull up a menu of all other discovered countries, and you select which one you want to talk to, and that pulls up a dialogue box where you can trade, sell, go to war (unless you are a democracy), and other things.

[quote name='gareman']Hit the diplomacy button (I believe it is the right bumper?) that will pull up a menu of all other discovered countries, and you select which one you want to talk to, and that pulls up a dialogue box where you can trade, sell, go to war (unless you are a democracy), and other things.[/quote]

Yea I know that part, I want to do what they do to me all the time:
Ask for technology or declare war
Ask for great people or declare war
Ask for a tribute or declare war

[quote name='Spybreak8']Yea I know that part, I want to do what they do to me all the time:
Ask for technology or declare war
Ask for great people or declare war
Ask for a tribute or declare war[/QUOTE]
It randomly pops up. Sometimes I'll go to diplomacy and I'll get an option to demand something from a nation. It usually only happens when you have an overwhelming advantage. Even then it's still random.

[quote name='Rei no Otaku']It randomly pops up. Sometimes I'll go to diplomacy and I'll get an option to demand something from a nation. It usually only happens when you have an overwhelming advantage. Even then it's still random.[/quote]

That because it depends on your relationship with them, and whether you have democracy as your government. In the dialogue box it will say 'Ah years of peace" or whatever. then there will be two options (I forget what they are) one closes it the other moves on to the list of things to ask of them.

I would just play the game and double check, but then I always play for at least 2 and half hours.

[quote name='gareman']That because it depends on your relationship with them, and whether you have democracy as your government. In the dialogue box it will say 'Ah years of peace" or whatever. then there will be two options (I forget what they are) one closes it the other moves on to the list of things to ask of them.

I would just play the game and double check, but then I always play for at least 2 and half hours.[/quote]

Yea I know what you mean. I might pick this up for my DS, be perfect for my summer job where I do some waiting everyday waiting for people to show up.

For those of you who have tried multiplayer, how does it work? I've been playing vs AI and a game usually takes upwards of 5hrs to complete. Does the MP have time restrictions? Couldn't find any online matches to try it out.

Sigh.

This game is.. meh. It seems so broken, or is it just me? After playing it for a few hours and getting 43/50 ach it just seems so.. mundane.

The computer isnt even hard on diety level.. they are stupid. Even getting the tech victory on diety was easy, just took a few tries.

Plus it seems like the computer always attacks me, not everyone else even though they dont have the alliances.

Was hoping for a campaign..but alas.. nothing.

I disagree with Ice. Nothing is broken. As far as deity difficulty, I cannot comment since I haven't gone that high. But this has become one of my favorite 360 games. Basically, if you enjoy the demo, you'll enjoy the game.

[quote name='Matt Young']I disagree with Ice. Nothing is broken. As far as deity difficulty, I cannot comment since I haven't gone that high. But this has become one of my favorite 360 games. Basically, if you enjoy the demo, you'll enjoy the game.[/quote]

Then dont say its not broken til you play Diety @_@

Try it.. seriously. Its not even hard. It just seems like the computer can seriously just mass the greek fighter planes all day.

I mean its fun, but its not worth $60 or $50.

I was expecting a lot harder game, the lack of scenarios is really disappointing, theres like 10 :(

I can say the game's not broken if I don't play deity. i don't have to play a certain difficulty to know if the game's broken or if I enjoyed it.

As for scenarios, there's a new one released each week!

[quote name='Ice2Dragon']
The computer isnt even hard on diety level.. they are stupid. Even getting the tech victory on diety was easy, just took a few tries.[/QUOTE]

Deity level in CivRev is much easier than the comparable levels from the PC Civ games. I find it to be winnable, but still challenging. The harder difficulties on the PC Civ games always seemed to me to be too difficult and unfair, since it handicaps the player rather than providing better AI. I'd suggest multiplayer for CivRev if you want more challenge.

Plus it seems like the computer always attacks me, not everyone else even though they dont have the alliances.

I agree this is one of the annoying things about the game, but I don't find it to be game breaking.

The game is not broken and if you're comparing it to the PC version, they're both different games. I just beat the game on King on the Apocalypse scenario using the Arabs, hadn't won with them yet and trying to get the achievement, and that was pretty tough. Damn Napoleon is a hard AI to beat. I think you might be an exception pal, you don't find the game hard enough, go online then. Instead of focusing on how much the game doesn't give you a challenge go online and give someone they're money's worth. This game is an A in my book, a story campaign would have been neat but not necessary as well as a bit more depth with combat, trade and alliances maybe.

Civilization Revolution is an amazing game. I played a lot of it on the pc and it translates to the consoles pretty well. I finished it yesterday and got my 1000 gamerscore.

Last edited by a moderator:
I could very well be wrong, but I find that cpu attacks me often because they find holes in my defense in ways only the cpu can possible do. I would have my border cities heavily fortified with lax security in the middle cities and eventually the cpu would "sneak" some units in through a ship, the best ones possible too. They pull it off real well too, unless I literally fill every space near water with a unit, they'll get in somehow and do some type of damage.

Oh god, and the fighter planes....most annoying thing in the game. They just keep sending them over and over and over again, there are few options to attack them too. They always build them when I have a bomber and I don't build them often because of that (words can't describe how I feel when a lone fighter wing flys across the map to hone in on the one city that just produced a Bomber).

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE THIS GAME!!!!

However its too easy on Deity. I don't want to ruin it for anyone but I could tell you ONE tip that would guarantee victory every game. I still play it, but just to pass the time.

I wish there was a way to up the difficulty two more levels.

Woot! 1000 gamerscore.... I did blitzkreig to get that last achiement of winning by 1000 BC.... I had all but one city (dang greeks).... I attacked and attacked but could not win by 1000 BC, then I reread the achievement and it was 1000 AD not BC. I'm and idiot.... but that was cake.

This game is a lot of fun. Yes, it isn't as hard as Civilization on the PC, but I think everyone kind of realized that was going to be the case. They were trying to appeal to a a more "casual" strategy fan with this title, rather than the long, long, long, long and very hard games you can find on the PC games.

Anyway, if you are having a difficult time winning on deity, here's a good strategy. Start a game as the Zulu, because their warriors can move two spaces a turn. As soon as the game starts, go out and find the other civilizations. Also, make sure your city is just doing production and use any gold you acquire to rush more warriors.

Hopefully, the map will break to your favor, and you can find three civilizations within a few moves. If so, you should be able to take one or two quite easily, and the third will probably fall with a warrior army, especially if they have gotten some upgrades, and you are attacking the city from a hill.

You might have to start a few games and save/load some to get your strategy down pat, but once you get rid of three civilizations, you can sit back, build up, and be set for whatever kind of victory you want to do. I got all four types of victory on one save with this.

I've become freaking obsessed with this game. My girlfriend is addicted to it as well. I've beat it on Diety a few times but never tried the 'rush as Zulu' method.

I do wish there was a lot more variation in the maps. It would have been cool if the "moon map" was actually a moon, or was something different.

Nonetheless, I've definitely gotten my 60 bucks worth.

[quote name='Shawnimal']Woot! 1000 gamerscore.... I did blitzkreig to get that last achiement of winning by 1000 BC.... I had all but one city (dang greeks).... I attacked and attacked but could not win by 1000 BC, then I reread the achievement and it was 1000 AD not BC. I'm and idiot.... but that was cake.[/quote]

LOL Hahaha A for effort man.

I'm thinking I'll not be getting 1000/1000 on this. I can't seem to win on Diety and I'm getting to the point where I'm about to give up. I'll try following the guides and see if I can get a win, but a few more losses and I'm done.

[quote name='jigsawhc']I'm thinking I'll not be getting 1000/1000 on this. I can't seem to win on Diety and I'm getting to the point where I'm about to give up. I'll try following the guides and see if I can get a win, but a few more losses and I'm done.[/QUOTE]

Don't give up. Once you get the hang of it, it isn't too terribly difficult. I got the Tech and Domination wins on deity last night and this morning. Here are some suggestions to get your deity wins.

- Use the scenarios (blitzkrieg and beta centauri worked well for me). In beta centauri a modern infantry army is pretty much invincible when protecting your cities.
- I stay defensive early and focus on tech and production. First thing I do is get make army of archers or modern infantry and defend each city. In most cases, the AI will only attack with single units and by the time they attack with armies your defenders have experience.
As game progresses, make sure you have the most modern defensive unit in your cities.
- I try to be the first to get the masonry tech. Gives you a free wall around your capitol.
- Use spies. Spies are great for stealing gold from the economic leader. I preserved my tech win by doing this. I had a city that was one move away from the Americans. I used the bombers in my city to keep the path clear and then sent my spy to steal the gold. They couldn't capture my spy because they could wait in my city and didn't have to sit exposed for any turns. You can steal gold from any city, so send your spies into one of their weak cities.

Good luck.

Finally got around to playing the demo to this and at first I didn't like it but the more I played the more I enjoyed it. I'm a little worried tha t there's a little too much stuff to learn and do but I'm sure that comes with play time.

Question is, anynone see any good deals on this recently?

[quote name='FoxHoundADAM']
Question is, anynone see any good deals on this recently?[/quote]

Haven't seen it on sale for a new copy but you can most likely nab it $40-ish used from GS with the 20% coupon plus Edge.

new content available for CivRev

from Major Nelson:

Content: CivRev Scenario Pack: Victory Pack
Price: 100 Microsoft Points
Price: Free
Dash Text: [ESRB: E10+ (Everyone 10+) ALCOHOL REFERENCE,MILD SUGGESTIVE THEMES,TOBACCO REFERENCE,VIOLENCE] Conquer the world like never before with The Victory Pack. This new scenario pack contains three variations on Civilization Revolution’s classic victory conditions. Players can display their civilization’s grandeur before all the world in “Enlightenment,” join in a high-speed space race in “Hyper Drive,” or make their fortunes in “Gold Rush.” There are no refunds for this item. For more information, see www.xbox.com/live/accounts.

Content:
CivRev SP Map Pack: Brave New Worlds
Price: Free
Availability: All regions except Japan
Dash Text: [ESRB: E10+ (Everyone 10+) ALCOHOL REFERENCE,MILD SUGGESTIVE THEMES,TOBACCO REFERENCE,VIOLENCE] Expand your horizons with Brave New Worlds, a new single player map pack for Sid Meier’s Civilization Revolution! Explore the labyrinthine mountains of “Mazeworld,” fight for the dominant position in “Chokepoint” or meet your foes on the uniquely-shaped “Donutworld” – Brave New Worlds contains four new maps for Civilization Revolution, each with its own unique geography, providing uncharted new challenges for players.

I don't know what's up with the Victory Pack price, but I'm about to hit the sack right now, so if someone downloads it can you report back? I don't really play the scenarios so if it's 100points I'll skip it.

also, since they're finally messing with the map settings, I hope they'll eventually let you change the size of the world like in CivIV.

I just checked the xbox forums and the victory pack is 100 MPs while the Map Pack is free. Yea I'm hittin the hay as well but will download both tomorrow, haven't played in a while.

bread's done
Back