Sid Meier's Civilization Revolution - Gen. Discussion & Info

Played Gold Rush, all the other AI had more gold than me and Gandhi won by building the world bank. Very boring considering all the AI didn't want to fight and used the democracy buff to get their economy flowing. Its also a bit of luck since if you're next to gold or jewels you're making quadruple the money, (where do you think Gandhi was>

The computer pissed me off to no end in that Mazemap world. I'm talking centuries of literally just sending troops out to grab my citites. I guess I had a good spot to develop my science because it was the 21st century and the Americans were STILL sending Legion units after me.

[quote name='Strider Turbulence']The computer pissed me off to no end in that Mazemap world. I'm talking centuries of literally just sending troops out to grab my citites. [/quote]

yeah, I think the AI was more aggressive towards me on Mazemap. I had the Germans and the Zulu in a constant state of war against me. thankfully I had the tech lead for all of the game, so they couldn't really hurt me, just give me a few scares like when the Germans sent like 12 legion armies against my 3 pikemen armies.

What's the best way to get a tech victory on Deity? I've tried twice with the Americans and was beaten each time by the Chinese. I had two cities on science and one mass producing military units. The problem on Deity is that all civilizations gear up against you and it's difficult focusing on tech when you really need to up the production with cities constanly under attack.

I think I did mine with the Japanese. they have a crazy growth bonus which allows you to tech up while your city grows fast. basically just keep trying until you get a good starting point.

also might try an early rush with the Zulu, take out your nearest enemy capitol before anyone can get good defensive units.

Either use the Romans and the "Mega City" strategy or just build your cities on small islands where it's much easier to defend (plus you can get huge Science/Gold bonuses since your near nothing but water).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NkxL9qhrFl8

One thing to always remember when your playing on Emepror or Deity is that you must always make sure every other Civilization is occupied with war. Whether that means just parking "dummy" units near their territory or bribing nations to attack someone, just make sure they are fighting or building an army and not researching tech or building great wonders.

You also must always keep your cities well fortified and defended. Get a Galleon or Cruiser fleet as soon as you can and destroy any ships that try to park near your cities. The CPU WILL constantly drop off new troops from those ships if you let them linger around too long.

The AI can exploit your flaws in a way only a computer AI can. They will know what units you are building and how well defended your cities are. I've seen those cheating bastards declare war on me and then have armies somehow sneak into the middle of my empire (you can't move anything except caravans and spies through a nation your not at war with) and take over a barely defended city. Mixed up what you build and don't underestimate the power of spies. If you are a democracy, the AI will often vie for peace to stall to buy time to rebuild their armies. Camp a defensive unit near a city and send spy units to it's location. If your successul, you can rob a wealthy city of it's gold and great people or destroy ienough buildings so that your culture can overwhelm it.

[quote name='FloodsAreUponUS']getting this from gamefly sometime. How easy are the achievements?[/quote]

The only semi-difficult ones for me were getting the victories on deity, but there are enough strategies out there to help. Obtaining all of the great people is a bit of a pain, just because you don't really get many during the ancient period, so you have to go back and play a bunch of times as the French and spam culture.

Hey guys. Some more DLC was just released for this, including another free map pack and a 100 point scenario pack. Also a new patch with various fixes and game changes is coming soon.

More stuff incoming! First up, on Oct. 30th they are releasing the three wonder & artifact packs that were originally store specific bonuses. Price is 300 points each. More information: official forums.

Next, the 1.30 patch has been sent to Sony and Microsoft for certification and should be coming in about 2 weeks. The official forums have the full change list. Some of the highlights include improved AI where they'll declare war less on you and more on each other (probably my biggest gripe with the game), and the ability to stop production in cities in the late game and divert the hammers into trade.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Cantaloup']More stuff incoming! First up, on Oct. 30th they are releasing the three wonder & artifact packs that were originally store specific bonuses. Price is 300 points each. More information: official forums.

Next, the 1.30 patch has been sent to Sony and Microsoft for certification and should be coming in about 2 weeks. The official forums have the full change list. Some of the highlights include improved AI where they'll declare war less on you and more on each other (probably my biggest gripe with the game), and the ability to stop production in cities in the late game and divert the hammers into trade.[/quote]

Wow, those are some good changes. The constant declarations of war against you are quite annoying.

Much needed improvements and awesome DLC, sweet will have to stop playing Fable 2 and play this game sometime. A bit busy with classes though.

I'm just scooping up the DLC as it comes. I play this game all the time and got an uneven amount of points (740), might as well blow it on stuff I'll actually use.

edit: Actually I'm starting to have doubts 3 packs for 300 points each just seems like too much. If any one has any of the DLC, how much does it influence the gameplay?

The computer cheats so much on Diety that it's laughable. In the game I'm playing now, the Mongolians were sending wave after wave of CRUISER FLEETS filled with Legion and horsemen and they're demanding the secret of Navigation to stop the attacks.

oh, and they also had a few tanks in their cruisers. Three turns after the tanks landed I discovered Feudalism and got a bonus for discovering it first. ho ho ho ho!

I'm so screwed in this game, the Indians are building a Great Wonder every 4 or 5 turns and the Americans are quietly spawning troops in the two squares that have fog in them. It 's times like this I wish there were a scenario where I could build and launch multiple nukes in retaliation.

[quote name='Strider Turbulence']If any one has any of the DLC, how much does it influence the gameplay?[/QUOTE]

I have 2 of the packs (Mythic & Eternal). They definitely add some variety and some new options. However, depending on your playing style and the game situation, some of the wonders and artifacts are not very useful. I'd suggest taking a look at what each pack includes (below) and see what interests you. Personally I think 300 points per pack is a bit much; 200 points would be OK with me.

The Mythic Wonder & Artifact Pack includes:

Wonders:
Lighthouse of Alexandria - your Galleys will be able to sail into open water
Leaning Tower of Pisa - you receive a larger cut of the profits when enemy Caravans arrive in your cities
Scotland Yard - your great people cannot be kidnapped by enemy spies
SETI - your spaceship will travel faster

Artifacts:
Court of Camelot - all your Horsemen units will immediately be upgraded to Knights
Tower of Babel - you will instantly be put in contact with all the nations of the world

The Eternal Wonder & Artifact Pack includes:

Wonders:
Trajan's Column - your Legion units all receive +1 attack
University of Sankore - desert regions provide +1 trade
Eiffel Tower - all buildings provide +1 science
Cristo Redentor - Cathedral buildings will prevent your cities from flipping

Artifacts:
Pharoah's Needle - you instantly receive knowledge of an advanced technology
Tesla's "Peace" Ray - all wars immediately end

The Iconic Wonder & Artifact Pack includes:

Wonders:
Coliseum - your units will upgrade faster
Taj Mahal - all buildings produce +1 culture
Statue of Liberty - all cities in your civilization immediately receive two free population
Sydney Opera House - settled Great Artists double the culture production of their resident city

Artifacts:
Terracotta Army - all your soldiers receive the Scout upgrade
Sphinx - you can immediately choose to switch to any government type

Wow those are some cool additions especially the Lighthouse of Alexandria since most of my games I'm just sailing in circles because I can't go into the deep end lol. Interesting

I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong, but I can't seem to get the "Curse of the Drinking Class - Develop a city to produce 200 resources per turn" achievement.

How do I get it and what's the best way to do so?

^^^

I played the scenario "Chokepoint World" or something to that effect. Built a city in the center of the map, so that I was adjacent to as many mountains as possible. Once you get to 150 resources, switch to communism.

Bah, mulitplayer only and it looks like the next batch is the last one. I love this game to death but I'm really disapointed that the DLC did not add more Civs, or anything that would add alot to the gameplay.

Hey, does anyone play this still? I picked it up at Target and have been having a blast. I'm admittedly a Civ noob but I'd love to play this online with someone.

Yes, its a great game to come back to from time to time. Still haven't beaten the game with all the civilizations. I can barely do King, let alone the higher difficulty levels. I do better when the AI attack each other but when they all hang up against you its a hell of a time.

As a fair warning, Deity cheats like hell.

The best strategy in this game is to either take your settlers and build on small islands (easier to defend plus huge gold/science bonus) or press the CPU. I can't stress that one enough, when the AI is at peace, they are building an army and buildings faster than you ever could. Make sure they are always at war, even if you have to pay other nations to fight them.

Hmmm I always found that paying other nations wasn't profitable because its like a huge amount of money for such a little time span but now I understand why you'd want to fork over loads of currency. I find the best strategy is to go for bombers, they're pretty much unstoppable and make a few fighter wings for support.

I just started this game last night after it had been sitting in my backlog for a long time. I don't mean to bump an old thread, but I'm really enjoying it. If anybody wants to play online and show me some tips, feel free to add me to the FL.

[quote name='captmurphy']I am STILL trying to find this game for under $20... anyone bored of theirs yet? :)[/quote]

Try Target. They have it on clearance for $14.98 (YMMV).

I have played the DS version and I liked it but I still hadn't cracked open the 360 version. I started playing it last week and I am really into it. It feels like Civ lite.

I would be in for a CAG game.

I too would be up for a CAG game/night.

This game is not as deep as Civ IV/BTS but it sure is fun, even though the lack of the Persian Empire in this game is troubling...

[quote name='Spybreak8']Hmmm I always found that paying other nations wasn't profitable because its like a huge amount of money for such a little time span but now I understand why you'd want to fork over loads of currency. I find the best strategy is to go for bombers, they're pretty much unstoppable and make a few fighter wings for support.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I hate spending money on the AI too but it's neccassry. If they are building an army and attacking, then they aren't building wonders or researching tech at high levels. Also, some civs like Japan flourish too well when left alone for long periods of time (if I don't do something about Japan, they often are about to win tech victories around 1800).
I'm scared of bombers. I'm dead serious when I say that unless I'm way ahead, the AI always has some fighter jet waiting to take down a bomber, even when it first appears in the city so I shy away from them.

One exploit I love using is building catapults w/defenders and parking them about two spaces away from the border of an enemy city. If the computer sends a settlers unit the catapults will crush the defense and you can take it. Often times I just make peace with the AI fast, it's even better if they just want peace for no tech or gold because then I could just declare war again if they send another settlers unit out in a few turns. What's funny is that the AI will often still send more settlers out as long as there is no other city in the area. Your helping your civilization grow while slowing down the progress of another.

Heads up for anyone interested that doesn't have this already - I'm donating a sealed copy to the Child's Play raffle. Donate and win!

I just got the King Tech Win with the Romans. Yea the Japanese were just settling down and going for the same since I was playing the new mode Hyper drive. Funny thing was that I paid the Japanese faction to fight the Russian one yet his troops, and my money, got stuck because I had a city in between the two. That was a waste but yea as soon as I got tanks and bombers the Japanese were taken out and I secured the tech win! I need two more great people though and working on a few more modern wonders to fill my set.

I forgot about how awesome this game was- hadn't played in a year- till Pure Apathy started playing it. I sat and played through a whole campaign as the Americans. Great fun.

Been playing CIv IV again lately, had to reminds myself to uninstall it or small portions of my life would dissapear.

Need to get CR and try it out.

bread's done
Back