Sid Meier's Civilization Revolution - Gen. Discussion & Info

I loved this game but got tired of trying to beat the highest difficulty settings.

Also, does anyone else have any tips for winning with one city? I deserted all my cities (except for the heavily fortified capital) and let the AI take everything before I launched my ship to Alpha Centauri but I never got credit for winning.

[quote name='Matt Young']You can't create any more cities; just your capital. Don't take any, either.[/QUOTE]

How do you win then? Cultural?

[quote name='depascal22']I loved this game but got tired of trying to beat the highest difficulty settings.

Also, does anyone else have any tips for winning with one city? I deserted all my cities (except for the heavily fortified capital) and let the AI take everything before I launched my ship to Alpha Centauri but I never got credit for winning.[/QUOTE]

Yeah that's where I'm at as well, damn AI.

I used one of the free scenarios for that achievement with one city only. It starts you out on a small island, with a larger island to the right (About one or two squares away from your island). I forget, since I don't have the game anymore.

I think I was either English or Spanish, probably Spanish, for all of the early discovery bonuses.

Also, if you don't discover enemies, they usually won't find you and attack you. Sometimes you can play a whole game without upsetting 1-2 enemies.

Also a tip. Maybe you like playing the Mongols? Well, guess what? If you want to do this achievement, and you tend to know where alot of barbarian huts are, those huts that turn into cities DO NOT count against the achievement. In some ways, this may be easier. (they just won't always be in prime locations)

Civilization Revolution fun fact: Sid Meier personally programmed all of the core of Civilization Revolution. He did all the game design, tweaking and AI by himself, and he wrote all of the underlying platform-agnostic code single-handed. He then handed it off to the rest of Firaxis who basically just built the pretty frontend and network components on top of his otherwise feature-complete game design.

Just letting it be known that Meier, unlike some of the great old developers, is definitely not just a creative figurehead nowadays (not that there's anything wrong with that in the case of, say, Miyamoto or Molyneux, for instance). He can, and does, still do the real work.

I finally got all of the deity achievements the other day playing as the Mongols. I played under the "It's the money that matters" scenario and speed rushed to get lots of horsemen armies. Took over as many Barbarian cities as I could to have more units to build (as well as gaining more gold) and rushed wave after wave at cities. I had to defend for a bit after taking over the first Civilization that I met since I was under attack from 2 other civilizations and the 3rd (the French) were getting close to a cultural victory. I had to run through the other 2 which luckily I was just going for military tech and got tanks before anyone and took out one of the French cities and then finished the other 2 civilizations. then it was just a matter of time where I saved and went for each of the other achievements individually after reloading, took a bit of work but it paid off to get all of them with just one run through.

Yeah you can tell that Meier really did work on this title. He found the perfect balance of strategy and time. I played Civ on the PC and just got bogged down with games lasting so long, same with Sins of a Solar Empire, and I really liked it on the 360 for that reason (especially the specific scenario which speeds up the game).

Game gets really, really, really annoying when you have 50 cities asking you what to build later on in the game, though. I HATE Conquest victories. You have 50 cities with so much production trying to ask you what to build every turn since they build anything instantly. :( Bad enough managing 20 different tank and bomber squadrons all over the map.

And the wait time if you're on a tight map with alot of narrow passageways, but you're holding them against the computer. You see them stockpile 30 units per square, and get to watch them move each one, every turn.

Those were the only real gripes I had. I hope Civ Rev 2 comes out, though.

Just picked this up and loving it. It is making me stay up way to late for just another round. Is there anyway to get rid of the battle animations? I didn't see anything in options to do that. I figure if I could disable the battle animations I could get to bed much earlier.

bread's done
Back