Siren: Blood Curse - Gen Discussion & Info

http://www.bioniccommando.com/us/pages/NG_Game_Overview
The first true sequel to the classic 1988 Nintendo Entertainment System original, Bionic Commando sees the return of the bionically-enhanced Nathan "Rad" Spencer, voiced by Mike Patton, the former lead singer of Faith No More. Time has not been kind to Spencer: 10 years after his heroic defeat of the Imperials in the original game, he has been betrayed by the government he swore to serve, imprisoned for crimes he didn't commit, and sentenced to death.

[quote name='mberkes'] They're naming it Siren, but that has no impact on the game itself. It's new story, new format, new content, new graphics [/quote]

Then why call it Siren?

[quote name='mberkes']I don't see how they'd be cashing in on remaking an old game anyways, it's not as if the sales numbers were stellar in the first place![/quote]

Then why remake it?

[quote name='Nephlabobo']Then why call it Siren?

Then why remake it?[/quote]
Because it's a neat name. Don't get hung up on names.
There's tons of things that share names.

Because it's a game that deserved more exposure and hopefully they'll do well in the US this time with it.
It has a decent following in Japan already.

You've been around long enough to know that isn't the case...........

There is no confusion, except maybe on your part, about the downloadable title and the upcoming next gen retail title.

[quote name='dallow'] Because it's a game that deserved more exposure and hopefully they'll do well in the US this time with it.
It has a decent following in Japan already.[/quote]

Things that sell well in Japan do not necessarily sell well in North America and vice versa (Xbox 360!)

If it's so neat, give us Siren 2, since we've *already had* Siren 1.

[quote name='Nephlabobo']Then they really are idiots for putting out two games with the same name.

Which do you think people are going to wait for?

The new $70 game or the $10 remake?

They've shot themselves in the foot.[/quote]
I think gamers will easily be able to tell the difference between a downloadable game and a full retail game. Especially when one's coming out soon and the other's coming the fall.

If you want a form of Bionic Commando that you're familiar with or never played the original, you'll go for Rearmed. If you want a next-gen Bionic Commando, you'll go for the retail game.

I don't see how they've shot themselves in the foot.

[quote name='Nephlabobo']Then why call it Siren?

Then why remake it?[/quote]
You picked on the most useless comments in my post, and you keep going. Get over the fact that they named it Siren (call it a gaff), get over the fact that they're 'remaking' (I say remaking but it's hardly even that) a game that sold poorly here (cause maybe developers really believe in their games and concepts and not just base it off of sales?), and either pick it up and enjoy it or shut up. There's no problem here, all I see is someone whining about nothing.
They remade Okami for the Wii recently, you should head to an Okami thread and complain there. It's neat for the wiimote and control scheme now, but to my knowledge they didn't change much. Okami, as well, didn't garner much business despite critical success yet they remade it. There's more reason to remake a title than to try to make twice the money they originally did, or to piss you off.

Frankly, he's just whining over nothing.

Completely new games are being made, plenty of them.

Partial remakes/sequels are also being made.

Either way, it's new stuff to play.

[quote name='mberkes']They remade Okami for the Wii recently, you should head to an Okami thread and complain there. It's neat for the wiimote and control scheme now, but to my knowledge they didn't change much.[/quote]

The difference being that Okami didn't come out for GC, then Wii. It's strictly coming out for Wii. Wii owners should be grateful they have something decent to play.

The PS2 is still selling. You can still buy one for cheap.
You can still find Siren used and cheap in game stores.

I want *new* content for my PS3, not a game I *already* have and can play with BC on my PS3.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']I think gamers will easily be able to tell the difference between a downloadable game and a full retail game. Especially when one's coming out soon and the other's coming the fall.

If you want a form of Bionic Commando that you're familiar with or never played the original, you'll go for Rearmed. If you want a next-gen Bionic Commando, you'll go for the retail game.

I don't see how they've shot themselves in the foot.[/quote]

After playing one version of the game "soon", would I feel the need to rush out and get the other one? Probably not. And I don't think most other people would either.

Anyways, Bionic Commando is just a symptom of a larger problem.

[quote name='Nephlabobo']The difference being that Okami didn't come out for GC, then Wii. It's strictly coming out for Wii. Wii owners should be grateful they have something decent to play.

I want *new* content for my PS3, not a game I *already* have and can play with BC on my PS3.[/quote]
I HATE it when there's self-proclaimed intellects that don't listen to reason and think they're King Shit no matter what anyone says. My 'intelligent argument' wasn't an argument Smart Guy, it was telling you to stop whining because you're coming off like an asshole. If you're so opposed, ignore this game and go buy NEW content. There's plenty of it...including this game if you would just look past the name.

[quote name='Nephlabobo']After playing one version of the game "soon", would I feel the need to rush out and get the other one? Probably not. And I don't think most other people would either.

Anyways, Bionic Commando is just a symptom of a larger problem.[/quote]
This has to be a put on!

How is playing the 2D remake of the NES classic going to take away from the 3D seemingly open world 3D version .

The gameplay experience will be nothing alike!

That's like saying GT1/2 being re-released for free was going to take away from GTA Vice City or SA, whichever it was at that time.
They're completely different games.

[quote name='Nephlabobo']The difference being that Okami didn't come out for GC, then Wii. It's strictly coming out for Wii. Wii owners should be grateful they have something decent to play.

I want *new* content for my PS3, not a game I *already* have and can play with BC on my PS3.[/quote]

You =/ The same as every one else. Your experience is unique to you and only you. Just as such, everyone else's experience is unique to them.

I don't have Siren for PS2, nor have I played it. I don't have a PS3 with PS2 BC, nor would I want it. I didn't play Siren or even hear of it when it was on PS2.

As such, this game is a NEW experience and NEW piece of content to me.

I will try it and play it and if I like it, buy it.

Me, and other people sharing the same experience as me, completely devoid your argument. Super Mario Bros. was a fantastic game on the NES, so was Mario 2 and Super Mario 3. Did that make it a crappy thing for Nintendo to release all 3 on SNES with improved graphics? No. It was a great seller.

Sometimes remakes are a good thing. Hopefully this one ends up as such.

[quote name='NamelessMC']
I don't have Siren for PS2, nor have I played it. I don't have a PS3 with PS2 BC, nor would I want it. I didn't play Siren or even hear of it when it was on PS2[/quote]

Not my fault. Go down to the store and get it. Stop supporting pointless remakes.

[quote name='Nephlabobo']After playing one version of the game "soon", would I feel the need to rush out and get the other one? Probably not. And I don't think most other people would either.

Anyways, Bionic Commando is just a symptom of a larger problem.[/quote]
There's no way that a downloadable title can deter a significant amount of people from getting a retail game. Besides the large difference in the scope of the gameplay and graphics, the majority of the gamers that will play Rearmed are Bionic Commando fans, who won't just say Rearmed is enough for them. There's just no way that it will take away sales, but more likely add to them for people that may not have been looking forward to the new BC before enjoying Rearmed.

I'm guessing you're not a BC fan, so you just may not get it and assume only non-BC fans will get Rearmed.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']
I'm guessing you're not a BC fan, so you just may not get it and assume only non-BC fans will get Rearmed.[/quote]

It's got nothing to do with me being a BC fan or not.
It's whether we need a BC remake or not, which we don't.

[quote name='NamelessMC']You =/ The same as every one else. Your experience is unique to you and only you. Just as such, everyone else's experience is unique to them.

I don't have Siren for PS2, nor have I played it. I don't have a PS3 with PS2 BC, nor would I want it. I didn't play Siren or even hear of it when it was on PS2.

As such, this game is a NEW experience and NEW piece of content to me.

I will try it and play it and if I like it, buy it.

Me, and other people sharing the same experience as me, completely devoid your argument. Super Mario Bros. was a fantastic game on the NES, so was Mario 2 and Super Mario 3. Did that make it a crappy thing for Nintendo to release all 3 on SNES with improved graphics? No. It was a great seller.

Sometimes remakes are a good thing. Hopefully this one ends up as such.[/QUOTE]Exactly, because I never picked up the original Siren, and I rather not look at an ugly looking upscaled one on my PS3. I'm definitely excited to give this a shot, since I never played a Siren and just love HD graphics. :D

[quote name='Nephlabobo']It's got nothing to do with me being a BC fan or not.
It's whether we need a BC remake or not, which we don't.[/quote]
You're proving my point that you don't get it. You're not the target for the remake, so your opinion doesn't factor into the decision.

[quote name='The Mana Knight']Exactly, because I never picked up the original Siren, and I rather not look at an ugly looking upscaled one on my PS3. I'm definitely excited to give this a shot, since I never played a Siren and just love HD graphics. :D[/quote]

The idea that you would rather have a PS2 remake, when the PS2 is still selling buckets, instead of a new, original game, makes me think you should be locked up in an asylum.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']You're proving my point that you don't get it. You're not the target for the remake, so your opinion doesn't factor into the decision.[/quote]

There's nothing to "get".

Should there be a remake? No.

Should there be new, original content? Yes.

It's that simple.

*You* don't get it.

There is a new game and there is a remake, too. They're making your new, original content, but adding a remake to celebrate what came before it. They've satisfied your main requisite, so why do you care that they add complimentary content to that?

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']There is a new game and there is a remake, too. They're making your new, original content, but adding a remake to celebrate what came before it. They've satisfied your main requisite, so why do you care that they add complimentary content to that?[/quote]

Well you can argue whether turning an old 2D game into a 3D game is new and original or not.

If it is, then the point of a remake is moot. It's redundant and unecessary.

[quote name='Nephlabobo']Well you can argue whether turning an old 2D game into a 3D game is new and original or not.

If it is, then the point of a remake is moot. It's redundant and unecessary.[/quote]
Have you not seen the game in action? It plays quite differently than the original, what with the big, open environments and the huge influence of physics into the use of the bionic arm. It's as much of a difference in the jump from 2D to 3D as most series experience. It doesn't make the remake pointless, as that updates the 2D gameplay to today's standard as fanservice for the fans of the original. It's not redundant or unnecessary at all.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']It doesn't make the remake pointless, as that updates the 2D gameplay to today's standard as fanservice for the fans of the original. It's not redundant or unnecessary at all.[/quote]

Fanservice is the very definition of unnecessary.

Fan service (ファンサービス, fan sābisu?), sometimes written as a single word, fanservice, is a vaguely defined term chiefly used for Japanese visual media—particularly in animefandom—to refer to elements in a story that are unnecessary to a storyline, but designed to amuse or sexually excite the audience.

If paying for an old game is what gets you off, so be it, but count me out.

Damn now I gota pawn off my PS2 version for some sucker to buy, cause I know I'll get a PS3 4-5 years down the road.

Hopefully this is a lot better then the first one, because the game was pretty bad.

[quote name='Nephlabobo']Fanservice is the very definition of unnecessary.

Fan service (ファンサービス, fan sābisu?), sometimes written as a single word, fanservice, is a vaguely defined term chiefly used for Japanese visual media—particularly in animefandom—to refer to elements in a story that are unnecessary to a storyline, but designed to amuse or sexually excite the audience.

If paying for an old game is what gets you off, so be it, but count me out.[/QUOTE]

# of people that care that you aren't buying it: 0

Just think of it as "Alarm" or "Oh shit it's that sound again" and get over it. It's got an entirely new cast, new progression system, but based on the original locale and some of the original concepts. Just because it takes place in the same environment doesn't mean that it's a eye for eye remake or will detract from the original experience.

If you're complaining this much about "remakes", I'm curious what you say to games like DMC4, where they have two different characters travelling through the some of the same areas? omg that's like they rolled a remake into itself! How dare they!

[quote name='Oktoberfest']# of people that care that you aren't buying it: 0[/quote]

Number of intelligent people who will buy this: 0

[quote name='Nephlabobo']There's nothing to "get".

Should there be a remake? No.

Should there be new, original content? Yes.

It's that simple.

*You* don't get it.[/quote]

You're nothing but a crying baby.

And I don't go on the internet to talk to crying babies, so I put crying babies on my ignore list.

Have at it.

Fact: You won't change the minds of any of the INTELLIGENT people that are interested and want to play this game.

Fact 2: A remake being successful will motivate developers to make a REAL sequel and not go bankrupt.

Fact 3: A remake is a PS3 title, not a PS2 title, hence pirates and PC emulation gamers won't have an easy time playing it for free.

Fact 4: Your face.

I'm done arguing with you and now I don't have to see your responses either.

[quote name='Nephlabobo']Against it specifically? Nothing.

Against it in general? It's a remake. A pointless rehash. The continued cannibalisation of gaming that getting worse year by year as companies spend more and more on prettying up old games instead of making new ones.

And do we honestly need *two* remakes of the same fucking game in one year?![/quote]

Man, you just suck for saying that. A big company takes a massive financial risk to give love to an all but forgotten (though much loved) franchise in GLORIOUS freakin' 2D and you crap all over it because of the reuse of a little name.

That's just lame.

I've been really excited to see all the NEW content they are bringing to this remake, 2 player co-op, new bosses, new story, new gfx, new music, and on and on. And all for a measly $10, hell if I coulda got 2D goodness like this back in the day I woulda thought I had died and gone to heaven. The middle of May can't get here fast enough as far as I'm concerned. I can't wait to play it.

And as far as people being sheep, no sorry those are only the EA faithful who buy their rehash crap year after year.

I see most of your points, but some like the new Warhawk (remake, that isn't a remake in any stretch of the imagination, which you would truly know if you'd be familiar with the original in any aspect) the name was used because of name recognition, nothing more or less. I'm sure if Sony had a choice between reusing the Warhawk name or Super Desctruction Flying Machine, which do you think they'd choose? Something thousands of people are familiar with or a brand new unknown IP they have to sell.

Honestly why your own your rant about remakes and recycled names, I'll wait patiently for your rant on sequels and more specifically sequels that use the same name as the game before it in some way, shape, or form.

Take notes, you might learn something. ;)

The demo from the Japan store is fuck tight! I stumbled around, since the help text isn't in English but I finished the 1st three "missions". Didn't go all the way through though.

The voices are in English which helped some.

Only thing is I wish the "instant kills" had more of a God of War feel to them. Right now you basically sneak up on the enemy and hit R1 and the game takes care of the rest. Would have been cool if they slipped in a button matching minigame to see if you fail or not.

I love how you reload the pistol, you kind of flick your wrist to the side. Kind of like how you would swing the cylinder out.

Also you use motion controls to crawl away on the floor when you've been knocked down which adds to the intensity.

After you complete the first 'mission'

Hit R3 to keep the game in first person mode.
It's way creepier!

Apparently you can ride the minecart but I couldn't figure it out.
This far exceeded my expectations.

Man this game is dark, it uses the lack of light really well, and has a cool film grain effect going on.

[quote name='dallow']After you complete the first 'mission'

Hit R3 to keep the game in first person mode.
It's way creepier!

Apparently you can ride the minecart but I couldn't figure it out.
This far exceeded my expectations.

Man this game is dark, it uses the lack of light really well, and has a cool film grain effect going on.[/quote]

I did that- I couldn't handle it haha...

And yeah I was trying to up the gamma but after you settle in, the visual style work really well even in the darkness.

Here's a 720p video showing of the second portion of the demo. Thanks to KurowaSan.

http://files.filefront.com/SirenDemo02720pmp4/;10075030;/fileinfo.html

hum8tf.jpg

I like those simple flick gestures you use for certain actions. Not so annoying as trying to get precise angles with the motion control, and still adds a tactile feel to doing that action. Still, I hope there's buttons.

I do notice in that video that you're beating up a lot of Shibito? I guess that's mainly because of the character. Seems like playing with the girl means lots of hiding.

The graphics, I'm not too sure of. Character models look good, but the environment needs a couple more detail passes. Looked not that much better than a PS2 game's environments, except rendered in higher resolution.

there's a demo out for this already? Shoot I'm afraid to try it lol. I'll get my friend to download it and try it at his place later in the week maybe lol.

So this thing has coop play too? I always thought playing a horror survival with a buddy would be fun...

Well I downloaded the demo awhile back, and I have tried playing it. But man, I suck at this game. I can't even get past the second Shibito, she always sees me, and then I can't find anything to kill her with.

Which was the second shibito? The one after the miner that you have to sneak around?

Just make sure you pickup one of the weapons lying around before you go attack her. In this game, if you don't have a weapon you can't fight the shibito at all.

So I've never played Siren and I'm not sure what it is all about. Anyon care to share? I hope it's not like Silent hill becaue I hate silent hill, but I'm hoping it's more of a Resident Evil/Fatal Frame

I played the demo and beat it. I will admit the controls could use some improvement (along with the camera), but it was overall a great experience. I really liked it and now I really want it.

[quote name='uncle5555']

I've been really excited to see all the NEW content they are bringing to this remake, [/quote]

Oxymoron - there's no such thing as anything new in a remake.

[quote name='NamelessMC']You're nothing but a crying baby.

And I don't go on the internet to talk to crying babies, so I put crying babies on my ignore list.

Fact 4: Your face.

I'm done arguing with you and now I don't have to see your responses either.[/quote]

Fact - you're a pussy who insults people and runs away.

[quote name='Nephlabobo']Oxymoron - there's no such thing as anything new in a remake.

Fact - you're a pussy who insults people and runs away.[/quote]
:wall:

bread's done
Back