Siren: Blood Curse - Gen Discussion & Info

[quote name='deadgopher']It doesn't make much sense to me why people on CAG, of all places, are willing to pay 10-20 dollars more to get the exact same game on a piece of plastic after waiting 1-2 weeks for it to arrive from Hong Kong instead of downloading it overnight for a mere $40. And don't pull the "but I like having discs" crap, because all of you have bought other PSN or XBLA titles, and you don't have discs for those, either.

If you guys really want to spend another $20, send it to me. I might lose my job before the end of the year and I could use the money.[/QUOTE]

so we can sell it, bring it to friends house, give it as a gift, etc

[quote name='deadgopher']It doesn't make much sense to me why people on CAG, of all places, are willing to pay 10-20 dollars more to get the exact same game on a piece of plastic after waiting 1-2 weeks for it to arrive from Hong Kong instead of downloading it overnight for a mere $40. And don't pull the "but I like having discs" crap, because all of you have bought other PSN or XBLA titles, and you don't have discs for those, either.

If you guys really want to spend another $20, send it to me. I might lose my job before the end of the year and I could use the money.[/quote]
????????

9 GIGABYTES of space and bandwidth dude.
(plus creepy soundtrack)
resale value

If you guys really want to spend another $20, send it to me. I might lose my job before the end of the year and I could use the money.[/quote]

9 GB will take me weeks to download. I'd rather just import and have a physical copy of the game if I ever buy it. Buying a $40 on PSN is a lot different than a game you buy for only 5 bucks.

[quote name='rodeojones903']Its really dumb that the US is not getting a disc release.[/QUOTE]A lot of it has to do with how the first Siren performed in the U.S. (VERY BAD) and that's why SCEA passed up on the 2nd one. The only reason they brought Siren: Blood Curse stateside was because they didn't have to deal with shipping it to retailers and deal with unsold copies in retailers. The series did much better in Europe which explains why they get a disc version.
[quote name='Blackout542']9 GB will take me weeks to download. I'd rather just import and have a physical copy of the game if I ever buy it. Buying a $40 on PSN is a lot different than a game you buy for only 5 bucks.[/QUOTE]You do not have to download 9GB at once. You can download each episode individually and remove them (if you don't want to use up HDD space, there's an option in-game to do it). Downloads also happen in-game. So in reality, the most you'll ever have on your HDD at once is like 1.5GB, if you choose to not have everything on your HDD at once. You only need once episode to play (or maybe two, I forget).

It actually didn't take me all that long to download 9GB, but I have a large HDD.

Last edited by a moderator:
9GB of space used, sure, but delete the game when you're done with it. It'll always be available to download again.

It took me probably 6 or so hours to download the whole thing on my 5Mbit connection, and honestly, that's a pretty shit connection compared to other parts of the country.

i was using a 10 dollar off 50 coupon from play-asia i had from a previous order. if i get another one with my new order i can post it since there isnt anything i will be getting soon. it will probably take a week or two though. :)

I guess it's just me, but I don't want chapter 1 and 4 just on my HD, I want the whole thing. To me it's like having only 2 discs of a 4 disc PS1 game. It just doesn't feel complete to me. I know it's not exactly the same thing because you can still play Siren, but I guess I'm just weird like that.

[quote name='Maklershed']$48.30? Did you use a coupon? If so, what's the code? I can't resist at that price.[/quote]
I had a coupon from a previous order. I might get a new coupon with the new order that I won't need so I will be passing it on, but it will take about a week or two to get my package.

For those still on the fence:

I just threw my PS2 copy of Siren on Goozex. Blood Curse isn't the best game I've ever played, but it's definitely a shitload better than the original, which would have been bearable if they'd given the US version Japanese voiceovers. I just can't get past the english accent, japanese face, "Oh my god. Ahhhhh." I mean, damn, the gameplay was interesting, but I just can't get past that serious misstep.

So yeah, uh, if you're in the same boat as I, definitely grab Blood Curse.

[quote name='rodeojones903']Its really dumb that the US is not getting a disc release.[/quote]

So is this a known fact? I'm ok paying 10 bucks for some downloaded game but I refuse to pay 40 bucks for a virtual download. I like my packaging.

[quote name='GeorgeCostanza']So is this a known fact? I'm ok paying 10 bucks for some downloaded game but I refuse to pay 40 bucks for a virtual download. I like my packaging.[/QUOTE]The U.S. isn't getting a disc. People who work at SCEA referred people to Play-Asia if they want the disc version (since the Asia version is in English). SCEA themselves just doesn't want to take another risk bringing this game to retail (SCEA is very picky about releasing SCEI/SCEJ games since numerous of them bombed here, like the original Siren causing them to pass up the 2nd). By being a download, it's not using up any retail space, don't have to deal with retailer loyalties/shipping, and having to take a cut moving unsold copies out of retailers (and if SCEA released a disc version, they'd have to price it at $40 since retailers are quite sensitive in the U.S. (Japan it isn't really an issue) to lower pricing (which explains why PSP games and videos are priced how they are in the store)).

The game is well worth it. It's just that Sony's goal for downloads is very different from MS and Nintendo. They are aiming towards small games for downloads. Sony is aiming towards large downloads which are close to being full retail games (like Fatal Inertia, Wipeout HD (I almost guarantee it will be at least $30), Tekken 5: DR Online, Warhawk, GT5P, etc.). The difference is Siren is no where near as short as the cheap downloads, which is why it justifies its pricetag (It's even longer than some games which are $60 in retail). And if people want the game cheaper, they CAN share it.

http://kotaku.com/5032720/siren-blood-curse-coming-to-blu+ray

A 60 GB PlayStation 3 seems like a massive beast, until you download the entire Siren: Blood Curse saga, which devours a good 66% of your hard drive, and what about those poor 20 GB PS3 owners? For those of you not wanting to turn your console into a dedicated Siren machine, Sony has plans to release all 12 episodes on a single Blu-ray disc this fall, with extra bells and whistles to make the full release attractive even to those who've already played through the survival horror title. Nothing on pricing as of yet, but I could certainly see it following PSN pricing for the full game at $39.99.

[quote name='flybrione']Got my copy in the mail forom Play-Asia on Saturday came with the CD soundtrack.[/quote]

Did you preorder it or order it recently? Just wondering because if I could get the CD, I would order the game now. The website says nothing about the CD :cry:

[quote name='Needles-Kane']Did you preorder it or order it recently? Just wondering because if I could get the CD, I would order the game now. The website says nothing about the CD :cry:[/quote]

yeah I would like to know this to because I might purchase it from play-asia if it comes with the soundtrack

a bit of a bump. so i bought the original and was stuck at the very first area.
got blood curse and had the same troubles. finally got past it and REALLY enjoy the game. its pretty intense and reccomended. it was very difficult to see what was going on in the original, this corrected a lot of that.

[quote name='Maklershed']Play-asia is a pretty solid (as in respectable/secure) site right? It's pretty hard to resist at that price.[/QUOTE]

Yep.

Hey if anyone wants to sell their copy at some point I'll buy it. I was shafted by play-asia on my copy and will probably not get it now.

I enjoyed it. Be prepared for:
1) Clunky controls
2) Slightly muddy graphics (though I enjoy them!)
3) A bizarre, bizarre storyline that seems to contradict itself until you understand it in the end.
4) A bizarre, bizarre final boss and ending that you feel like should be played on a DDR pad or something..due to its color scheme.
5) Trial and error gameplay. I thought the game was damn freaky. Enjoyed it more than Silent Hill: HC.

But there are tons of weapons. Knives, wine bottles, rifles, pistols, a film-crew camera, etc. but the enemies always get back up...

Doesn't sound too bad, the demo was decent so I saw some of what you're saying. Anyone else have an opinion on picking it up at this time on PSN.

I just got this from a very generous CAG today. I'll post some impressions in a day or so. I've been anticipating this since release...

bread's done
Back