SKATE. - Go Skate Now >_< - Vote for CAG Videos to Help for Achevements

bump for the glory of the mighty demo gods.

on a side note: for people who can't see the fun in this game obviously never went out to skate or at least try and learn. this is the only EA game I've seen in years that has my interest way up.

BAH! It's times like this I wish I didn't have a job. I'll be downloading this when I get home...though I am VERY worried about the control scheme.

I played it this morning before work, I used to skate when I was a teenager and I love this game, I havent liked Tony Hawk for a long time, if you think skating through the grass and grinding powerlines is awesome then you wont like it. But for those that like more realistic games, you will love it, controls work great but take getting used to, I did a kickflip backside 50-50 after a few tries, felt great.

After retiring from skating about 5 years ago I always wanted something that really gave me the feel of skating without me breaking my leg again. Hopefully this will answer my sickness.

Im not a skater but have always been fascinated by it. The first images I saw of this game look amazing, so I can't wait to give it a shot.

[quote name='Maynard']After retiring from skating about 5 years ago I always wanted something that really gave me the feel of skating without me breaking my leg again. Hopefully this will answer my sickness.[/quote]

This game is fucking amazing I love it. Feels like I am on my Hook-Ups board all over again :)

The demo sucks ass and dick. It might be for people who actually skate, and that's fine, but it's not for anyone else. The controls are awkward and the camera is wonky. It's definitely no Tony Hawk game.

Say what you want about the THPS games, but they did get one thing right, and that's the control scheme. Every skateboard game should use it.

[quote name='Trakan']The demo sucks ass and dick. It might be for people who actually skate, and that's fine, but it's not for anyone else. The controls are awkward and the camera is wonky. It's definitely no Tony Hawk game.

Say what you want about the THPS games, but they did get one thing right, and that's the control scheme. Every skateboard game should use it.[/QUOTE]
I just played it and I agree 100%. I'm to old to master some crazy ass control scheme.

[quote name='Maynard']This game is fucking amazing I love it. Feels like I am on my Hook-Ups board all over again :)[/QUOTE]

Agreed, I think anyone that used to Skate is going to love this.

[quote name='Trakan']The demo sucks ass and dick. It might be for people who actually skate, and that's fine, but it's not for anyone else. The controls are awkward and the camera is wonky. It's definitely no Tony Hawk game.

Say what you want about the THPS games, but they did get one thing right, and that's the control scheme. Every skateboard game should use it.[/quote]

Well I am SORRY you didn't skate before but this is how it feels and man did they nail it perfectly.

[quote name='spoo']I just played it and I agree 100%. I'm to old to master some crazy ass control scheme.[/QUOTE]

I'm with you and Trakan.

Add in horrible ragdolls, the fact you have to keep pressing a button to move and the lack of moves (I could only figure out the kickflip, a grab and a boardslide), this game just isn't fun to play.

Correction the rag dolls are nice, at least they're not over the top.

I love the fact that it makes you plan your tricks! This game is definately not for the Arcade 1,000,000 combo point Tony Hawk nuts, which I will admit is fun but in a different way. This game is for the definite hard core skaters that are out at the parks

It shouldn't have to go that comparison route.

If you prefer arcade style unrealistic but crazy skating stick with Tony Hawk

If you prefer extremely realistic skating where you have to plan your tricks and it has a learning curve try Skate.

The reason I love Skate is because I used to skate IRL. I know the satisfaction of planning a trick and trying it over and over and over until you finally nail the perfect combo you were planning. It is extremely satisfying and that is exactly what they achieved with the game.

On the surface the Tony Hawk nuts aren't going to love it, but if you work at it and really give it a chance and realize what they're going for you might love it.

THPS is stale. SKATE is fresh. Get on a board and learn a trick or two or shut up.

And no, this dosn't fall in the same realm as sports titles like Madden and MLB... you can still be a 500lb grease potato and still play those.

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']THPS is stale. SKATE is fresh. Get on a board and learn a trick or two or shut up.[/QUOTE]

Wow.

You shouldn't have to have done the activity in real life to enjoy the game.

I've never played guitar but I had a giant smile on my face trying to play Guitar Heroes (War Pigs) in Best Buy. I've never driven a race car on a track but I can still play Forza. I've never been a wrestler but I am love with No Mercy. Never boxed anybody but I still enjoyed Fight Night. Never rode BMX but played way too much Dave Mirra 2. Never played pro football but loved 2K5. Am horrible at golf but loved Links.

That's the issue with this game, it has no crossover appeal. Yeah, it maybe a god sent for ex-skaters or people in the skate crowd but everybody else is going to be left out in the cold.

Even before Tony Hawk turned into "million point combo", it was able to draw people in by giving people a easy control scheme and a sense of reward. Which is nothing Skate has given me. The controls frustrated me, the moves I could pull off left me feeling nothing (woohoo a kickflip...but not as cool as the slow-mo thing from P8) and even the crashes were underwhelming/clunky.

i've been waiting for this game to come out, but when the demo comes it it is right after my 360 breaks again. From what it sounds like it is good if u have skated in the past.

[quote name='Sporadic']Wow.

You shouldn't have to have done the activity in real life to enjoy the game.

I've never played guitar but I had a giant smile on my face trying to play Guitar Heroes (War Pigs) in Best Buy. I've never driven a race car on a track but I can still play Forza. I've never been a wrestler but I am love with No Mercy. Never boxed anybody but I still enjoyed Fight Night. Never rode BMX but played way too much Dave Mirra 2. Never played pro football but loved 2K5. Am horrible at golf but loved Links.

That's the issue with this game, it has no crossover appeal. Yeah, it maybe a god sent for ex-skaters or people in the skate crowd but everybody else is going to be left out in the cold.

Even before Tony Hawk turned into "million point combo", it was able to draw people in by giving people a easy control scheme and a sense of reward. Which is nothing Skate has given me. The controls frustrated me, the moves I could pull off left me feeling nothing (woohoo a kickflip...but not as cool as the slow-mo thing from P8) and even the crashes were underwhelming/clunky.[/QUOTE]

:lol: the silly thing here is that I had a meaningful post and with alot of stuff to back it up, but I accident had the whole thing erased. I was not in the mood to rewrite it all, so I just went to the blunt side of things... >_< I guess being too blunt dosn't help :lol:

on terms of the cross over appeal, same goes to Madden, Tiger Woods, NHL, MLB, NCAA and all those other games. I don't really enjoy these sports (playing them is great but watching bores me and I'm not alone) and the games never get me... they are the most boring things I've ever played... I guess if I apply that feeling you guys have towards this game, I can understand.

On that note, those who do like this game: I played bioshock a bit in the past few days and it was amazing, but the feeling this game gave me surpassed that. wow... I've never felt so fulfilled in a game I suck at. I love the video editor as well... you can upload videos and show them off in the demo... I'll post my link when it's done uploading.

I use to skate quite a bit (and wish I still did), but unfortunately old-mandome caught up with me and I'm not the young buck I once was (nor the lighter buck at that). I'm interested to play the demo based on Rolento's passionate posts. I'll be checking this game out tonight (or whenever I stop play Bioshock).

I loved the demo.

LOVED it.

So much better than that borring shit Tony Hawk. Tony Hawk takes all the fun out of skateboarding. Same game every fucking time, tired-ass gameplay and nothing exciting or interesting.

I think they need to tweek the camera slightly, though.

[quote name='PyroGamer']I loved the demo.

LOVED it.

So much better than that borring shit Tony Hawk. Tony Hawk takes all the fun out of skateboarding. Same game every fucking time, tired-ass gameplay and nothing exciting or interesting.

I think they need to tweek the camera slightly, though.[/QUOTE]

either tweak the camera or have more camera options while playing... you get use to it though.

man, everything feels so right in this game... manuals kick ass... it's so satisfying to pull a string of tricks together... usually ending with a manual to flip makes my heart jump... so nice.

I hope to see the video upload section go up soon so that everyone here can show their stuff... I already have a video uploaded but the site needs to go live... it's super shitty, but I had fun making it...

http://www.ea.com/skate/skatereel.jsp

also, I went to pick up a dance pad for an art show I'm in and pre-ordered this game.

I was already looking forward to this game but you guys (most of you at least) are making it sound really good. I'm with the fans of realism. I used to do lines in THPS games that someone could do in real life.

I didn't know you could upload videos of yourself either. I hope you can get really creative. I think it would be cool if there were skate crews online that regularly made videos. :drool:

I love Tony Hawk. It's just that they've gotten lazy and made the game super hard just becuase they've ran out of ideas.

Downloading the demo, lets see how it turns out. I have a feeling I will hate it becuase the analog controlls look ridiculous. But I"ll get it a try.

EA's first SIM GAME EVER!

Amazing I know, it has its moments, reminds me of actually skating in comparison to THPS but I feel this will get a little tiring as others said, this game involves planning.

Worth the rent, not the buy IMO

Honestly, though, I don't know how awesome it will be to execute a sweet line and upload it.

Obviously I'm not going to be spending my time watching virtual skaters when I could just get on YouTube and see more amazing stuff that's actually real.

I'm definitely buying this game when it comes out, reminds me of Thrasher on PS1. Still pop that in every now and then, and I enjoy that a lot more than the Tony Hawk series, though I do enjoy playing the Tony Hawk games as well. Looking forward to the full version next month!

[quote name='PyroGamer']Honestly, though, I don't know how awesome it will be to execute a sweet line and upload it.

Obviously I'm not going to be spending my time watching virtual skaters when I could just get on YouTube and see more amazing stuff that's actually real.[/QUOTE]

It's more of a good way to show off something you did... it's very useful for those moments when you need to prove something to someone.

EDIT: on that note, the video upload section is up... I need to sign up with EA to see my stuff.

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']It's more of a good way to show off something you did... it's very useful for those moments when you need to prove something to someone.

EDIT: on that note, the video upload section is up... I need to sign up with EA to see my stuff.[/QUOTE]
Wait, the demo has video upload? I need to go back and play it again. Didn't make it all the way through (had to run off).

This game isnt bad...It is much better than Tony Hawk: Which hasnt changed since oh i dont know 2. Tony Hawk has become stupid. Pushing x to kick flip isnt fun. Nor is b to grab or a to jump 15 ft up. O wait Stringing together 25 tricks and traveling 1 mile is fun...not

SKATE is funner than I thought. The analog is great. I'm not quite good at it yet, but it's the type of game where it seems like once you get the hang of it you'll get the full enjoyment out of it. I like the idea of not having any stats to hold you back. Camera can be a bit annoying sometimes when you want to turn around and do a specific jump but overall it looks like this game has some major potential.

Wow, really disappointed by this demo. It's so "sim" that it feels harder than actual skateboarding to me. I got dizzy playing this from the camera, which hasn't happned to me since my first FPS when I was like 12 years old, and I wasn't feeling the control at all. I'll wait for the next Tony Hawk, hopefully that will be good.

[quote name='Chris in Cali']Wow, really disappointed by this demo. It's so "sim" that it feels harder than actual skateboarding to me. I got dizzy playing this from the camera, which hasn't happned to me since my first FPS when I was like 12 years old, and I wasn't feeling the control at all. I'll wait for the next Tony Hawk, hopefully that will be good.[/quote] Yep sounds the same as me. The view is so hard to get use to for me. I feel like I can't just skate. Pressing x or a, to move is really a pain I wish it was just analog up to skate. I am really dissapointed being I was looking forward to this game. I guess I just am so much more use to how Tony Hawk is.

[quote name='PyroGamer']Where's the "impossible"?[/quote] I'm not sure how you would do this. Obviously the stick would be going up and down because your back foot just does a circular motion in line with the board, it doesn't go left or right. Maybe do the ollie motion again in the air? Or start in the middle, go down to start the trick, back to middle, and back down?

I'll never play tony hawk again.

What is the title of the raggae group/album/song?
BUm bom, dunnah nah dom bom just keeps going through my head. I need to Download this song.

[quote name='CYRiX']Too bad they'll shut off the servers for this game in a year :D[/quote]

no kidding, that's the only bad thing about EA. They always shut down the fucking servers.

Downloaded this earlier, going to play it now.

Any of you guys remember Thrasher's Skate and Destroy for PSX? That game was fucking hard as shit to pull off some tricks, but it was SO rewarding in the end.

[quote name='Scorch']no kidding, that's the only bad thing about EA. They always shut down the fucking servers.[/quote]

I think "only bad thing" is a little generous. NBA 07 is its own mountain of EA mistakes.

bread's done
Back