Skylanders - Toys brought to life, Cross-platform Connectivity *Giants Out Now*

[quote name='ajh2298']Went to the only Gamestop in the area that still had the guide for the original game listed as being in-stock and ended up finding a Eye-Brawl, Thumpback, and a Scorpion Battle Pack on the shelf. So between those and the guide and a Series 2 Lightning Rod I picked up I ended up dropping like $85.00 in store credit I had. But its nice to know now that I have these guys and wont have to go hunting for them. But I was kind of shocked seeing them on the shelf and with my son in the store with me I knew I was going to be buying them.
I am on the East Coast in Pittsburgh and when I got there around 4:30 pm they only had one of each of the giant "Giants" left on the shelf, but probably had 4-5 Scorpion Battle Packs left.

They also have a deal where if you spend $30.00 on Skylander items you get a free "mini figure" we were able to get two of them. We have the other two from the Frito-Lay promo from the summer but we did seem to lose the little "Gill-Runt" guy somewhere in the house.

http://www.gamestop.com/collection/skylanders-giants?cid=eml_10000774[/QUOTE]

The guy at my store was nice enough to let me return some unopened figures I'd bought over the past week and rebuy them to take advantage of that sidekick deal. Got 3 out of the 4, the only one I didn't get is Gill-Runt.

Didn't see either of the new Giant guys, but I'll definitely pick those up when I do, if I do. I did get that Hot Dog 3-pack, though.

[quote name='Salamando3000']...Which part of pittsburgh? Hit up some Gamestops in the eastern suburbs yesterday, found nothing.[/QUOTE]

It was the Bethel Park store on Route 88 I found it funny they were there because that also seemed like a store it would get a lot of traffic.

I live close to Robinson, I wonder if the two out that way would have them? It's like a 45 minute drive up there but I have other business up there anyway so the trip will be worth it anyway.

[quote name='Navex']I live close to Robinson, I wonder if the two out that way would have them? It's like a 45 minute drive up there but I have other business up there anyway so the trip will be worth it anyway.[/QUOTE]

At least in Robinson you can hit up four store within a mile of each other.

anyone know of a good place to swap out figures doubt they are worth anything but after splitting up the spryo starter kits im stuck with 4 extra figures (2 of each) not the dark spryo but the other 2)

anyone know of a good swapping place to dump them besides ebay

Did the original figures get a 2nd run? I thought they were discontinued but found a whole bunch at Target today. Picked up the Darklight Crypt which was the last one I was missing from the original game.

[quote name='my2k2zx2']Did the original figures get a 2nd run? I thought they were discontinued but found a whole bunch at Target today. Picked up the Darklight Crypt which was the last one I was missing from the original game.[/QUOTE]

They must have. I definitely saw quite a few at different stores (ToysRus, Gamestop, and Target)

[quote name='my2k2zx2']Did the original figures get a 2nd run? I thought they were discontinued but found a whole bunch at Target today. Picked up the Darklight Crypt which was the last one I was missing from the original game.[/QUOTE]

It had to have been a reprint at some point. Because Darklight Crypt is crazy rare, they don't just sit on the shelf for that long.

[quote name='defpally']It had to have been a reprint at some point. Because Darklight Crypt is crazy rare, they don't just sit on the shelf for that long.[/QUOTE]

Crazy rare? They've got it at Target every time I go. Either nobody has purchased it for a year or they've been getting continual stock.

[quote name='thelonepig']Crazy rare? They've got it at Target every time I go. Either nobody has purchased it for a year or they've been getting continual stock.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, that one tends to be the one people are looking for, it used to command a high price on Ebay, but has come down lately - probably due to more coming out. Ghost Roaster didn't get a repose, and he is one of the more popular figures that people late to the game want to get. I haven't seen on in a while, but I do see the other three from time to time.

Another hard to find one is Boomer, oddly enough. Those used to clog the shelves, and Frito-Lay sent out tons of them in their free figure promotion in the spring. But for some reason, you can't find him anymore - and since he also didn't get a repose, people want him. Zap also had pretty high demand and low supply, but the Series 2 version is out now in the new Battle Pack, so demand went down.

They cleared up the rarity of Camo/Warnado with a re-release of their 3 pack (complete with the new $25 price point). And Wham Shell was re-printed too, TRU had a bin full of them on Black Friday, and had more after that. Voodood also had a reprint of his 3 pack, and Sunburn's Adventure Pack as well.

Just saw a "Darklight Crypt" on the shelves at a local game store for $19.99 wish I had the extra money would have picked it up. They also had the "Empires of Ice" set but that was $29.99 for some reason. Would love to pick up a Boomer or a Voodood I pretty much have the others or their series two versions.

TRU will have the wave 3 Giants on the 25th. Don't know what is planned, (most likely an email that will be available that morning as always), boxes were delivered with a 1/25 hold date on them. Knowing how some stores work, they could already be out at some locations.

Eye Brawl and Thumpback are two per case along with Crusher and Hot Head.

[quote name='prim4444']TRU will have the wave 3 Giants on the 25th. Don't know what is planned, (most likely an email that will be available that morning as always), boxes were delivered with a 1/25 hold date on them. Knowing how some stores work, they could already be out at some locations.

Eye Brawl and Thumpback are two per case along with Crusher and Hot Head.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the heads up. Knowing that there's no 'real' street date on these, will probably mean I may be able to find them before then (or so I hope).

[quote name='nbballard']I really want the sidekicks, but my local gamestops are so low on stock i think anyone would be hard pressed to get a full set.[/QUOTE]

I want to get the full set, but after getting two and seeing how 'useless' they really are, I'm not certain I care enough. My son, of course, thinks differently.

[quote name='prim4444']TRU will have the wave 3 Giants on the 25th. Don't know what is planned, (most likely an email that will be available that morning as always), boxes were delivered with a 1/25 hold date on them. Knowing how some stores work, they could already be out at some locations.

Eye Brawl and Thumpback are two per case along with Crusher and Hot Head.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the heads up, any idea if Legendary Lightcore Chill is coming then or sometime soon? She was part of the review package sent to press recently that included Eye Brawl and Thumpback.

[quote name='defpally']Thanks for the heads up, any idea if Legendary Lightcore Chill is coming then or sometime soon? She was part of the review package sent to press recently that included Eye Brawl and Thumpback.[/QUOTE]

I've heard this being called Wave 4, anything else besides the gaints?

[quote name='nbballard']I really want the sidekicks, but my local gamestops are so low on stock i think anyone would be hard pressed to get a full set.[/QUOTE]

You might give it another shot I visited 2 stores today and they both had them in-stock.

^I didn't mean the sidekicks. They had plenty of those. They didn't have $120 worth of unique figures. Only the first battle pack and a handful of singles.

you can buy them, ask your gamestop to scan it. It reads and is ringable. Nowhere does it say in the new email that they cannot be sold.

[quote name='bensdady']you can buy them, ask your gamestop to scan it. It reads and is ringable. Nowhere does it say in the new email that they cannot be sold.[/QUOTE]

For $999.99

[quote name='bensdady']you can buy them, ask your gamestop to scan it. It reads and is ringable. Nowhere does it say in the new email that they cannot be sold.[/QUOTE]

Do you know how much they ring for because they are marked $999.99. If they were even as much as $9.99 I would buy another Gil-Runt to replace the one missing inside the house somewhere so we could have the complete set of four again.

[quote name='ajh2298']Do you know how much they ring for because they are marked $999.99. If they were even as much as $9.99 I would buy another Gil-Runt to replace the one missing inside the house somewhere so we could have the complete set of four again.[/QUOTE]

The new price was added because workers were deliberately selling them 'on the side' for $10.00 at their own discretion. It clearly seemed to me that they put the new price in there, so that workers would get in trouble if they were not rung up as part of a separate legitimate transaction.
They do ring up as $0.00, when being part of the transaction (at least that's what we see on cash register side). I'm not sure what the workers see on their display, though.

[quote name='animemaniac14']so tru is confirmed for getting thumpback and eye brawl today?[/QUOTE]

Yep, 100% - unless yours had a shipping problem or employees that ignore big white stickers on the box and corporate notifications that told them to not sell them until today.

Sure it's been posted somewhere, but I picked up the Giants Portal Owner's pack at TRU for 29.99 last night! Couldnt believe it. Will be holding til July for my son's birthday.

[quote name='defpally']Yep, 100% - unless yours had a shipping problem or employees that ignore big white stickers on the box and corporate notifications that told them to not sell them until today.[/QUOTE]

Of course if you were not there at opening this morning, you will find nothing later in the day. Went to 3 different ToysRus within 30 minutes of opening, and in two occasions had the person in front of me buy the last figure. That probably means that each of these ToysRus got as few as 5-6 figures. That's just stupid. Why sent a mass email to your customers, if your inventory is mostly vaporware?

I not only blame ToysRus, but Activision for the crap this morning. Oh, and the last store got zero, because of some truck/inventory delay.

[quote name='dragonjud']Of course if you were not there at opening this morning, you will find nothing later in the day. Went to 3 different ToysRus within 30 minutes of opening, and in two occasions had the person in front of me buy the last figure. That probably means that each of these ToysRus got as few as 5-6 figures. That's just stupid. Why sent a mass email to your customers, if your inventory is mostly vaporware?

I not only blame ToysRus, but Activision for the crap this morning. Oh, and the last store got zero, because of some truck/inventory delay.[/QUOTE]

Marketing, my friend, marketing. Gets people into TRU. I don't blame Activision, because they have thousands of stores to ship them to, and they are out there. It isn't that hard to find, with a little patience. They have been in other stores for up to two weeks, and some stores have gotten multiple shipments. I got mine Thursday a week ago at Gamestop, I just was posting info here to try and help others. If TRU blew it up big, then had small amounts of stock, that's their deal - not Activision.

A couple things to consider though, first of all, some stores stockers could have put some out early by mistake - it has happened several times int he past. The stockers don't always pay attention, and 5-6 may have been all they had left after they figured it out. Secondly, TRU sent this email out to everyone on their list, if you live in a busy area, with lots of Skylanders fans, I recommend getting to the store and waiting in line early next time. I've been known to get there an hour or so early if it is something that I know will sell out quick.

Best of luck to you, I'm sure you will find them soon, they have been sent out in mass quantities - and restock time is much better this year than last.

[quote name='defpally']Marketing, my friend, marketing. Gets people into TRU. I don't blame Activision, because they have thousands of stores to ship them to, and they are out there. It isn't that hard to find, with a little patience. They have been in other stores for up to two weeks, and some stores have gotten multiple shipments. I got mine Thursday a week ago at Gamestop, I just was posting info here to try and help others. If TRU blew it up big, then had small amounts of stock, that's their deal - not Activision.

A couple things to consider though, first of all, some stores stockers could have put some out early by mistake - it has happened several times int he past. The stockers don't always pay attention, and 5-6 may have been all they had left after they figured it out. Secondly, TRU sent this email out to everyone on their list, if you live in a busy area, with lots of Skylanders fans, I recommend getting to the store and waiting in line early next time. I've been known to get there an hour or so early if it is something that I know will sell out quick.

Best of luck to you, I'm sure you will find them soon, they have been sent out in mass quantities - and restock time is much better this year than last.[/QUOTE]

ToysRus is probably mostly to blame for the problems this morning. You send out thousands of emails, and in many cases have an inventory of 3 or perhaps zero figures. I won't bother complaining, as I'm sure they will receive many angry calls and complains from others today.

As for me, I've been doing this long enough that I know it's a numbers game with inventory that is low on non-existent. A trip to Gamestop on my way to buy milk last night landed me 'Eyebrawl', and would've had Thumpback had the GS employee not been holding it for a loyal customer of his.

I drove around a bit, and found the last thumpback at random at a GS on the way back from one of the ToysRus. I just wasn't happy about being jerked around by ToysRus, as it meant I had wasted more gas than necessary.

Oh, and one last thing- The Chinese person who painted this Thumpback must've been on a night shift under poor lighting and perhaps really, really tired. It's not horrible, but a few paint splashes and undefined line divisions make it rather ugly.

Gheez I've been out of the circulation for a long time. The last I got were the characters on release day + the second wave a couple days later. What am I missing? Oh god I hope it's not a lot. Eeek.

[quote name='superoreo']Gheez I've been out of the circulation for a long time. The last I got were the characters on release day + the second wave a couple days later. What am I missing? Oh god I hope it's not a lot. Eeek.[/QUOTE]
It's not. Two new giants, eye brawl & thumpback. Then there is the hotdog pack which has: hotdog, series 2 zap and a catapult. Then the lightcore shroomboom single. I think that's it.

Those are the ones that came out today, in December they released s2 Stealth Elf, Prism Break, Eruptor, and Lightning Rod, I think I'm missing one. I was it was Cynder but if you bought a Starter Pack you already have one.

[quote name='skiizim']Those are the ones that came out today, in December they released s2 Stealth Elf, Prism Break, Eruptor, and Lightning Rod, I think I'm missing one. I was it was Cynder but if you bought a Starter Pack you already have one.[/QUOTE]

They actually came out a couple weeks back but thanks I knew I had been missing a few.

[quote name='Brother Daz']They actually came out a couple weeks back but thanks I knew I had been missing a few.[/QUOTE]

They're all available on GS.com, Lightcore Shroom Boom was up but seems to be OOS.

[quote name='dragonjud']Oh, and one last thing- The Chinese person who painted this Thumpback must've been on a night shift under poor lighting and perhaps really, really tired. It's not horrible, but a few paint splashes and undefined line divisions make it rather ugly.[/QUOTE]

Well, Thumpback isn't all that pretty to begin with ... :)

[quote name='superoreo']Gheez I've been out of the circulation for a long time. The last I got were the characters on release day + the second wave a couple days later. What am I missing? Oh god I hope it's not a lot. Eeek.[/QUOTE]

Series 2: Prism Break, Eruptor, Stealth Elf & Lightning Rod
Legendary: Stealth Elf
Giant: Eye Brawl & Thumpback
Lightcore: Shroomboom
Battle Pack: Scorpion Striker (w/ Hot Dog and S2 Zap)

The Legendary is TRU only, the Battle Pack Gamestop only till mid-February. There is also a glow in the dark variant of Sonic Boom at Walmart. The rest can be found anywhere, but the giants are a bit rare since they just showed up two weeks ago and at TRU today. That's all that is out since the release + wave 2 from the first week.

[quote name='dutch72']Has anyone seen a Whamshell in the wild ? Its the only one I'm missing.[/QUOTE]

Yes, many times. TRU gets him in from time to time, at least twice since Black Friday, when they had a whole bin of him. If you cannot find the single pack somewhere for a reasonable price, there is always the Castle Display Case at TRU that includes one (you can also usually find it in store):

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=16405566

A bit pricy, but better than funding a scalper in my opinion.

[quote name='nbballard']Got 2 whisper elf figures today. Anyone else accidentally double up on these?[/QUOTE]

I only got 1 figure out of my second set of 4. Bastards kept the $8 and shipped me a single fig.

[quote name='nbballard']Got 2 whisper elf figures today. Anyone else accidentally double up on these?[/QUOTE]

How much would you want for them in case you're interested in selling? PM if you'd like. Thank you

Question, I noticed that the Skylander Giant figures glow with light once it's placed on the Portal, what happens if the batteries used up? It doesn't look like you can change the batteries...

[quote name='Serpentor']Question, I noticed that the Skylander Giant figures glow with light once it's placed on the Portal, what happens if the batteries used up? It doesn't look like you can change the batteries...[/QUOTE]

There are no batteries in the figures. It gets power through the Portal of Power, similar to how induction chargers work (generates a magnetic feld). This power was originally used to power the writing of the internal flash chip, but in the Giants and Lightcores it is also used to power small LEDs.

[quote name='superoreo']How much would you want for them in case you're interested in selling? PM if you'd like. Thank you[/QUOTE]I went to a different gamestop and exchanged it. Got a whole set now. Series 1 complete!

[quote name='defpally']There are no batteries in the figures. It gets power through the Portal of Power, similar to how induction chargers work (generates a magnetic feld). This power was originally used to power the writing of the internal flash chip, but in the Giants and Lightcores it is also used to power small LEDs.[/QUOTE]

Wow, thanks for the info, learned something new! IMO, the giant figures are better deal since they have power up lights.

Because, you know, Pokemon has trouble making money :D

(What with the Pokemon "industry" having more yearly revenue than many countries. For instance $260M just on 7.5M games sold last year not including any other merchandising and with a cheap cheat of $35 per game)

SI

bread's done
Back