Skylanders - Toys brought to life, Cross-platform Connectivity *Giants Out Now*

my gamestop was checking in boxes and only had the hotdog pack. He said he didn't get any giants.

Anyway- I'm pretty sure i know the answer to this, but is there any bonus for playing the game on the lesser platforms (3DS, iOS, web)?

I know the 3DS games level the characters, but i wasn't sure if the web or iOS stats did anything, like a stat boost, or an xp multiplier.

[quote name='Darkside Hazuki']Picked up EyeBrawl/Thumpback at Best Buy today. Still no sign of Hot Dog at any Gamestop, but the in-store graphic says the exclusivity ends today.[/QUOTE]

Wow, I've seen tons of them on the shelves. Goes to show how stock levels vary in areas. I went to one that had, no kidding, at least a dozen on them on the pegs. The new giants are a bit more rare, but only because I haven't put in much effort since I found them a while back. I know pretty much every area store has had them recently.

The good news is stock is coming out, and in good numbers. All it takes is a little persistence, unlike last year when it was complete luck. Stores like TRU went dry for weeks for everything. There are a few Eye Brawls and Thumpback up on local Craigslist, but don't seem to be moving, because the prices have been dropping from the same people posting them.

I don't know how true it is but I hear on other sites based around Skylanders Toys r Us is doing some event in Times Square at their store there where you can get a free Ninjini (months before she's out on shelves). Feb. 5, doors open at 10AM, event starts at 4PM. There will be games, giveaways, stuff like that, in celebration of the NY Toy Fair I guess. No idea, again, how true this is, just read it. I would assume it's a first come, first serve basis and one per person or whatever.

I'd go there if I could if only to see the wild kids vs. soccer moms vs. toy scalpers all feuding for a Ninjini. ;) This is just asking for chaos lol.

Bought my first one to play with my friend's kid today on his 360. I'm at work and playing that Skylander's Universe web game, does this have any effect on the character on 360 or a whole separate entity?

[quote name='sleepydumbdude']Bought my first one to play with my friend's kid today on his 360. I'm at work and playing that Skylander's Universe web game, does this have any effect on the character on 360 or a whole separate entity?[/QUOTE]

No effect. The PC game does not affect the stats at all.

[quote name='Navex']I don't know how true it is but I hear on other sites based around Skylanders Toys r Us is doing some event in Times Square at their store there where you can get a free Ninjini (months before she's out on shelves). Feb. 5, doors open at 10AM, event starts at 4PM. There will be games, giveaways, stuff like that, in celebration of the NY Toy Fair I guess. No idea, again, how true this is, just read it. I would assume it's a first come, first serve basis and one per person or whatever.

I'd go there if I could if only to see the wild kids vs. soccer moms vs. toy scalpers all feuding for a Ninjini. ;) This is just asking for chaos lol.[/QUOTE]

ToysRus added an entry to their facebook page about this event. However, as to whether it's the last Giant character, there's no real hint given. It could also just be one of the few unreleased character variations left.

[quote name='Navex']I don't know how true it is but I hear on other sites based around Skylanders Toys r Us is doing some event in Times Square at their store there where you can get a free Ninjini (months before she's out on shelves). Feb. 5, doors open at 10AM, event starts at 4PM. There will be games, giveaways, stuff like that, in celebration of the NY Toy Fair I guess. No idea, again, how true this is, just read it. I would assume it's a first come, first serve basis and one per person or whatever.

I'd go there if I could if only to see the wild kids vs. soccer moms vs. toy scalpers all feuding for a Ninjini. ;) This is just asking for chaos lol.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, it's a train wreck waiting to happen. It's on a school day, and the line up will no doubt start early, so grats TRU on encouraging kids to skip school. Also the "months before" part is causing a bit of an uproar. They are playing right into the scalpers hands, no doubt there will be a bunch up on EBay before the end of the day for hundreds of dollars. Ninjini is the last unique figure not out yet, they are basically telling people how long they are planning on dragging this out - and giving scalpers advance notice and free reign to cash in. It goes against everything they said they were trying to avoid this year. They should call the event "Scalper Appreciation Day".

Any of you got Eye-Brawl? If you do, what path do you think is better for him? I don't use the eye ball blaster move that much but it seems more interesting than the melee path that just upgrades his armor and attack power, plus gives you a new combo(I don't bother with the fancy combos, button smashing kinda works in this game just as well).

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't blame the scalpers as much as the idiots on the other end encouraging it too, I understand if it's rare or collectible but I stopped going out of my way for these things now.

[quote name='Navex']Yup yup.

Any of you got Eye-Brawl? If you do, what path do you think is better for him? I don't use the eye ball blaster move that much but it seems more interesting than the melee path that just upgrades his armor and attack power, plus gives you a new combo(I don't bother with the fancy combos, button smashing kinda works in this game just as well).[/QUOTE]

I think both of his paths are rather boring. I chose the Eyeball expansion, and it's just basically like having trigger happy, except the eye ball is quicker.
You should try both, and see which one you like better. I think a fully upgraded thumpback is a much better character, even with the speed reduction.

A quick way of earning funds is to just do the arena challenge before the very last one in the game. It nets you a quick 1100 for a minute or two of work...rinse and repeat. Boring, but better than most of the alternatives.

[quote name='skiizim']Don't blame the scalpers as much as the idiots on the other end encouraging it too, I understand if it's rare or collectible but I stopped going out of my way for these things now.[/QUOTE]

That's "blame the victim" mentality. She had it coming to her, look what she was wearing!

Just because you can find a sucker, does not make it ok to do that. Scalpers create artificial rarity by cleaning off the shelves of desired figures, creating a market in which they have the supply cornered. The desire to buy from scalpers wouldn't be there if those figures were on the shelves, but instead you have people consuming more than they need, and then profiting off those that weren't lucky enough to get to the store when the shipment arrives.

Scalpers do nothing but harm the market. They offer no benefit other than driving up the prices and the rarity of the figures. Just because some parents would rather spend a few extra dollars on EBay rather than take off work going from store to store trying to get lucky does not justify the actions of the vultures.

[quote name='defpally']Just because you can find a sucker, does not make it ok to do that. Scalpers create artificial rarity by cleaning off the shelves of desired figures, creating a market in which they have the supply cornered. The desire to buy from scalpers wouldn't be there if those figures were on the shelves, but instead you have people consuming more than they need, and then profiting off those that weren't lucky enough to get to the store when the shipment arrives.

Scalpers do nothing but harm the market. They offer no benefit other than driving up the prices and the rarity of the figures. Just because some parents would rather spend a few extra dollars on EBay rather than take off work going from store to store trying to get lucky does not justify the actions of the vultures.[/QUOTE]

In this case, Activision is making the figures rare and the scalpers have a very little part. People around the world can't and aren't able to be at that event so they might value the time someone else spends in line so these "vultures" are really their heroes.

No one in the world "needs" a $8 piece of plastic. Its the collector mentality that encourages them to pay more.

[quote name='Arakias']In this case, Activision is making the figures rare and the scalpers have a very little part. People around the world can't and aren't able to be at that event so they might value the time someone else spends in line so these "vultures" are really their heroes.

No one in the world "needs" a $8 piece of plastic. Its the collector mentality that encourages them to pay more.[/QUOTE]

Or a desire to make your kids happy. Sure, people will say "just learn to tell your kids no". Well, kids hear "no" a lot of times, sometimes you want to say "yes". Some parents are like that.

And stop it with the "vultures are the heroes" crap. They aren't providing a "service", by staking out an event meant for kids, a giveaway meant for kids, then marking it up 4000% for "their time". They are taking spots away from children that will play the game, then charging others through the nose for it.

That is the exact same as the oil speculators that say they are providing a "service" when they buy up oil contract, drive the price up, then sell them 30 days later, never intending on taking delivery of the product. As if that oil (or in our case Skylanders figures) wouldn't sell anyways. Remember that next time you gas up for $4 a gallon, those "heroes" are doing you a big favor, aren't they?

There is a difference between capitalism (normal supply and demand) and vulture capitalism (greed is good). And "vulture" is an appropriate name for them.

[quote name='defpally']Or a desire to make your kids happy. Sure, people will say "just learn to tell your kids no". Well, kids hear "no" a lot of times, sometimes you want to say "yes". Some parents are like that.

And stop it with the "vultures are the heroes" crap. They aren't providing a "service", by staking out an event meant for kids, a giveaway meant for kids, then marking it up 4000% for "their time". They are taking spots away from children that will play the game, then charging others through the nose for it.

That is the exact same as the oil speculators that say they are providing a "service" when they buy up oil contract, drive the price up, then sell them 30 days later, never intending on taking delivery of the product. As if that oil (or in our case Skylanders figures) wouldn't sell anyways. Remember that next time you gas up for $4 a gallon, those "heroes" are doing you a big favor, aren't they?

There is a difference between capitalism (normal supply and demand) and vulture capitalism (greed is good). And "vulture" is an appropriate name for them.[/QUOTE]

Hmm, how about you just stop defending Activision with the last set of their actions?
Sending a very limited amount of figures creates room for scalpers. They're at fault as well.

I had not been able to sell a single skylander this time around, until these last two Giants were released. Yes, they had been doing a great job before, but it's obvious that they are more concerned with overproducing these last set of figures, and couldn't care less of creating a market for scalpers.

The event at ToysRus is just more marketing crap. And yes, we'll see $200 Ninjinis on Ebay on the same day of the event.

[quote name='defpally']That's "blame the victim" mentality. She had it coming to her, look what she was wearing!

Just because you can find a sucker, does not make it ok to do that. Scalpers create artificial rarity by cleaning off the shelves of desired figures, creating a market in which they have the supply cornered. The desire to buy from scalpers wouldn't be there if those figures were on the shelves, but instead you have people consuming more than they need, and then profiting off those that weren't lucky enough to get to the store when the shipment arrives.

Scalpers do nothing but harm the market. They offer no benefit other than driving up the prices and the rarity of the figures. Just because some parents would rather spend a few extra dollars on EBay rather than take off work going from store to store trying to get lucky does not justify the actions of the vultures.[/QUOTE]

I'm not saying it's right I get frustrated too but people decide what they are willing and how much are going to pay to support this behavior. I have no idea who's on the other ending buying, I understand that there are some people out in the sticks and eBay is the next best thing so I really can't blame them. Personally, if I miss it I could really care less, it's my fault or I just move on.

[quote name='defpally']That's "blame the victim" mentality. She had it coming to her, look what she was wearing![/QUOTE]

...did you really just make an allusion between rape and selling plastic toys?

[quote name='UncleBob']...did you really just make an allusion between rape and selling plastic toys?[/QUOTE]

No I said it is "blame the victim" mentality. And one of the most common examples of someone "blaming the victim" is that sort of comment. It isn't downplaying rape or even saying it is an equivalent thing. That's a pretty big jump to say I was doing that, it is just an example comment. Between here and darkspyro forums you seem to be really put out that people are upset they are catering to scalpers with this event. What's with all the tears? It's just an Internet discussion, did you come up with this event or something?

I did not say you said they were equivalent - I said you made an allusion between the two. Which is what you did.

Face it, any special event that Activision or Toys for Bob does with figures will, in your eyes, "cater to scalpers". Thus, by your logic, ATVI or TFB should just never do any fun events for anyone.

Damn them for recognizing their employees with a special edition figure. Look at how many of those ended up on eBay! Damn scalpers.

[quote name='UncleBob']I did not say you said they were equivalent - I said you made an allusion between the two. Which is what you did.

Face it, any special event that Activision or Toys for Bob does with figures will, in your eyes, "cater to scalpers". Thus, by your logic, ATVI or TFB should just never do any fun events for anyone.

Damn them for recognizing their employees with a special edition figure. Look at how many of those ended up on eBay! Damn scalpers.[/QUOTE]

Ok, if you admit I did not make them equivalent, then what's the problem? I didn't even say "rape", you did that.

And I was completely fine with them doing something special for their employees, with a special variant. I said as much many times on darkspyro. If the employees choose to sell it, that's their bonus for working there. In fact I've never had a problem with ANY of the chase variants or the auctioning of them. There is a big difference between a collector that is looking for a white flocked Eruptor and a guy that cleans every Thumpback and Eye Brawl off the shelf to sell on EBay. Kids could care less about those chase variants, collectors aren't making toys harder to get for them.

And yes, Activision, TFB and TRU can hold "events" that are fine in my eyes. Just not liking one kind of event where they are basically saying "Come get the last unique figure, that you won't be able to get anywhere else for months" does not mean that I would not like ANY event. That's a huge assumption on your part. They have had Toy Show variants all along to no big outcry, this time they chose to use a main line figure.

"Entitlement" would be me expecting them to give me a special event too, and I never anywhere said anything resembling that, nor have the majority of people here or there. I'm just saying that it is stupid to serve up a main figure in such a convenient package for scalpers, then tell them how long they will have to capitalize on it. I also indicated I wasn't happy they were going to drag out the releases for so long, but that isn't entitlement either, it's just not liking how long it is going to take them to get the figures out. In your rush to judge anyone and everyone that has anything negative to say about this, you seem to be compiling them all into one single group.

[quote name='defpally']Ok, if you admit I did not make them equivalent, then what's the problem? I didn't even say "rape", you did that.[/QUOTE]

:roll:

[quote name='UncleBob']Glad you agree.[/QUOTE]

I do not, just rolling my eyes at your response. That's all you could say, huh?

Your big concern was that I mentioned those two things in the same paragraph. Not that I compared them, or made equivalence. Just an "allusion", as you said. Gosh, for all your cries about others overreacting or being thin skinned ... pot, kettle ...

Not at how your previous post is provably wrong, especially if you look back at my previous posts. Particularly in reference to the employee Prism Break. Go ahead, look it up.

No I guess in your mind, people cannot be bothered by something they don't think is a good idea and talk about it on the Internet. We all have single track minds that can only focus on one problem at a time - and that problem better be damn important, eh?

I rolled my eyes at the idea that because you didn't say the word "rape", then your comment shouldn't count

But do tell, where have I called others thin skinned?

You're more than welcome to talk about something that you don't like. Just don't be surprised when people think you're being ridiculous and overreacting.

[quote name='UncleBob']I rolled my eyes at the idea that because you didn't say the word "rape", then your comment shouldn't count

But do tell, where have I called others thin skinned?

You're more than welcome to talk about something that you don't like. Just don't be surprised when people think you're being ridiculous and overreacting.[/QUOTE]

You said "entitlement", "What's with all the tears", "you're upset because you're not patient", "#FirstWorldProblems" when referring to others talking about this. You made an "allusion" towards others being "thin skinned":

http://forum.darkspyro.net/spyro/viewposts.php?topic=72952&page=1

I'm not surprised you think I'm being "ridiculous" and "overreacting", even though your comment above made it perfectly clear you didn't have any idea what I have an issue with or not. In fact you have made it perfectly clear you think people are being ridiculous. Abundantly clear for someone that says they care about this event so little.

But, in the end as I saw someone say recently:

Skylanders: Serious Business.
(and it is... it is like a multi-million dollar franchise at this point...)

uncle Bob and def pally, let it die now. I don't one attempt from either of you to get the last word in. it's the internet, you had a discussion, points were made. now Stop.

or you win a one week silence.

WELP!!!

We are soo screwed. Skylanders Swap Force just announced for fall 2013 release. Two part swappable. 16 characters. Vicarious Visions (mostly mobile version devs) HD and Toys for Bob is "out". http://www.polygon.com/2013/2/5/3952758/skylanders-swap-force-preview-vicarious-visions-two-part-figures

With this and Disney infinity, I am so broke.

Vicarious Visions made the 3DS version of Spyro's Adventure and the Wii U port of Giants. Sad to see Toys For Bob go, but I'm not too worried.

n-Space is still on board for the 3DS version of Swap Force, so that's good. They made some awesome improvements for the 3DS version of Giants.

I'm happy to see them inovating the product, but I think i'm going to use this as my exit. I can't keep buying 30 of these things a year.

Taking a quick look, the new figures are uglier than what's out now. Oh well.

Looks like a few scalpers made it to ToysRus today, as a few Ninjinis are up on Ebay. A big fuck you to Activision for ending things this way. The last two Giants were and still are very limited in production, and this Ninjini PR stunt was garbage for fans of the game.

[quote name='nbballard']I'm happy to see them inovating the product, but I think i'm going to use this as my exit. I can't keep buying 30 of these things a year.[/QUOTE]

I think im on the same page. Announcing 16 new figures was a plus, but saying they're going to release version 3's of 16 characters we've already bought twice (or more than twice depending on lightcore/legendary variants) puts a bad taste in my mouth.

My prediction for Toyfair 2014. Skylanders that come in blind boxes so you don't know what figure you're buying.

The thing is, though - they can't just completely stop making the old characters. There's demand for them.

Take Boomer, for example. There were times, when looking for figures, he'd be the only one on the peg - and there'd be about a billion on him. Now, he's going for $30+ for OPEN figures.

People who missed out on the earlier games need the ability to get the older characters without resorting to eBay.

While I'm sure Activision knows there are some of us crazies who will buy three packages of "turd on a stick" if they put the Skylanders logo on it, I think it's pretty reasonable to say that Activision doesn't expect everyone to buy every single repose of every single figure. Having a Series 1 Sonic Boom, Series 2 Sonic Boom and a "Special" Sonic Boom doesn't really give you anything extra in the game, beyond a higher number in your "Collections" menu.

I really enjoy the hunt of collecting the figures, but I am beginning to be mildly ashamed of the giant bag of S1 figures that I have no use for anymore after S2 came out, and I know that it's going to get bigger if I continue to buy them year after year.

The real question is how are the "16 reposes" going to be handled? Based on a quick count- that could be every S1 figure that didn't get a repose, and every regular figure introduced in Giants. I doubt they will do that though- because that would mean that series favorites that were reposed last time won't be represented in the new game at all.

If they keep introducing characters, and only doing a 3rd of the characters as reposes, some of the figures are going to fall to the wayside due to level caps. I'm wondering if activision feels those characters didn't sell well enough to continue with the series, or if they are going to try to juggle them all somehow.

I realized that they released Giants quickly after SA, but I thought that being attributed to the fact that SA could have been a huge failure. After seeing how the audience took to the product, they went to make one with a higher budget and whatever. It hadn't really occured to me that it was going to be annualized (i guess i wasn't thinking logically).

With everything, Activision has to run an IP into the ground, Call of Duty is there only real profitable game that hasn't lost steam yet right? I'll give the third series a big though, it's getting expensive with Giants and I have that pokemon mentality of "gotta have them all," excluding the rare variants.

I think I'll jump ship after this one and start on Disney Infinity, I think my kids will like that one more, I guess we will see.

[quote name='sterlingice']Actually, I believe "Turd on a Stick" is one of the characters in the next series[/QUOTE]

They already gave us a flaming turd in a bag with Hot Dog's special ability. And according to the announcement video, pungent farting will be featured on at least one of the Swap Force. Gotta love toilet humor.

Did anyone else find Kaos hilarious in that video? Me and my sons were rolling at the "my diaper is full of EVILLLL!!!" at the end.

I'm personally more excited about Swap Force than Skylanders, and so are my boys - we watched the videos for both of them together. They love Disney, but the game is just a bit of an unknown at this point. They were like "that's cool" for Infinity, but wanted to watch the Swap Force one three times. Sandboxy games can be fun, they love Minecraft for example, but it is hard to tell exactly what you are trying to accomplish other than play around with "fish out of water" characters in other worlds. It seems like a novelty. And the announced pricing is a bit high (not that Skylanders are cheap). I do see how many find Infinity very intriguing, so we may be in the minority on this.

Given the gaming budget I set, I think one collectible game series will be enough in my household. Skylanders has the advantage because we are already invested in that game - and the ones we have will work in Swap Force. It isn't a lock though, I'll have to see how they both turn out. Competition is good, it will challenge them both to be better!

[quote name='nbballard']I really enjoy the hunt of collecting the figures, but I am beginning to be mildly ashamed of the giant bag of S1 figures that I have no use for anymore after S2 came out, and I know that it's going to get bigger if I continue to buy them year after year.

The real question is how are the "16 reposes" going to be handled? Based on a quick count- that could be every S1 figure that didn't get a repose, and every regular figure introduced in Giants. I doubt they will do that though- because that would mean that series favorites that were reposed last time won't be represented in the new game at all.

If they keep introducing characters, and only doing a 3rd of the characters as reposes, some of the figures are going to fall to the wayside due to level caps. I'm wondering if activision feels those characters didn't sell well enough to continue with the series, or if they are going to try to juggle them all somehow.

I realized that they released Giants quickly after SA, but I thought that being attributed to the fact that SA could have been a huge failure. After seeing how the audience took to the product, they went to make one with a higher budget and whatever. It hadn't really occured to me that it was going to be annualized (i guess i wasn't thinking logically).[/QUOTE]

We know Stealth Elf is getting a Swap Force repose, so having a Giants repose won't prevent it from popping up again.

And here's a link that shows off the new Tech and Undead skylanders http://www.blogcdn.com/www.engadget.com/media/2013/02/dsc06096.jpg

Woo boy you guys seeing the Ninjini prices since that giveaway yesterday? As predicted, they're selling high. I just hope more kids got them that day than scalpers.

[quote name='Brother Daz']Wow, one sold for $300!?! That's insane[/QUOTE]

I bet you that was Uncle Bob, he just couldn't wait.

I was at TRU and they had $5 off the triple packs and battle packs. Not the best price but at least it makes it the old MSRP.

[quote name='nbballard']I'm happy to see them inovating the product, but I think i'm going to use this as my exit. I can't keep buying 30 of these things a year.[/QUOTE]

I think I'm out too. My kids have barely played Giants. They still want the new characters, though, and I will still be getitng the last 3 Giants (have yet to find Eye Brawl or Thumpback). But I've really scaled back my searching. Last year for Wham-Shell, etc, I was calling all around trying to find it. This time they'll either show up in stores as commons or I'll just pass. In fact, I may wait until there is some sort of sale to get them. This buying them at retail+ (ie, TRU) stuff is just killing my CAG sensibillities.

The new game can go jump in a lake - I'm not even going to look at that trailer. WAY too much WAY too soon. I'm not even going to tell my kids about it. The older one probably doesn't care any more anyway, and the younger ones will eventually find out when they start running ads for it and I'll deal with it then.

Found a 3DS Starter pack at Wal-Mart on clearance for $38, Wal-Mart clearance is extreme ymmv, prices and the item actually being on clearance will vary. Not pertaining to this thread but I also found a Wii Fit Plus bundle for $55.

EDIT: This was for the Wal-Mart exclusive pack with the glow in the dark Cynder.

[quote name='GamerChris']The triple packs are currently 30% off this week at TRU. That'll make 3 weeks in a row they've been on sale.[/QUOTE]

lol...with their ToysRus 'tax' that just means they're msrp around here.

bread's done
Back