SNES Classic Discussion Thread

According to Wario64, an Amazon rep told him that the GameTrust orders were legit, so I'm still confident in those. I do wish Amazon itself would come out and make an official statement though.

I know one thing, I'm gonna raise holy hell if it gets canceled. I doubt it'll do much but maybe I'll get a nice credit out of it.

According to Wario64, an Amazon rep told him that the GameTrust orders were legit, so I'm still confident in those. I do wish Amazon itself would come out and make an official statement though.

I know one thing, I'm gonna raise holy hell if it gets canceled. I doubt it'll do much but maybe I'll get a nice credit out of it.
Amazon has sold joycons under the gametrust name before. The Snes Classic from Amazon last night was listed in the console category, too. It wasn't listed in books or some other random category.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MT8RT5I/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/Nintendo-Digital-Downloads-GameTrust-Joy-Con-Neon/dp/B01MT8USZN/

[attachment=27704:gametrust.jpeg]

Edit: The red gametrust joycon is being ship and sold by amazon.com currently. (10:00pm et)

Last edited by a moderator:
i was able to get all 50 i ordered OMG> (dumbasses who want to show off)     i was able to get one from gamestop (instore) and best buy this early morning.   the best buy one scares me cause its an instore pick up and the best buy here is shady as hell.

Amazon has sold joycons under the gametrust name before. The Snes Classic from Amazon last night was listed in the console category, too. It wasn't listed in books or some other random category.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MT8RT5I/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/Nintendo-Digital-Downloads-GameTrust-Joy-Con-Neon/dp/B01MT8USZN/

attachicon.gif
gametrust.jpeg
What if the gametrust was the real order page and the other one was a dupe?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FlRUmkqMIe8

I wish I knew how to insert GIFS....

Not a chance.

In this type of situation, the resellers are essentially acting as a middleman (and gaining profit by this designation). They do not increase the total supply of the product, but rather factor into its channels of distribution among consumers.

If you proposition were to be true, then the perceived value of the product would not offset the implied markup that turns into a reseller's profit. In other words, nobody would be willing to pay above MSRP and resellers would be left with the choice of keeping their investment or returning it to a standard retail channel (where it would be sold at MSRP).

Pure and simple, if the after-market value of a product greatly exceeds the MSRP, then people (in a general sense of the population) are prioritizing the reseller's cut in profit below their own desire to own/purchase the product. In other words, the demand is so greatly exceeding the supply that the difference is being manifest in profits for the reseller.

In a hypothetical world without resellers, if the demand were to directly equal the supply (as you propose), then a bolus of sales would occur initially, with a slower trickle effect over the next several weeks/months, reducing the supply to zero (with 100% sated consumer desire). EVEN with the obvious reseller markup (contributing to the perceived value), the product is selling like hotcakes.

I've been a video game collector for a long time and have been generally pretty successful in obtaining the items that I desire to purchase. Today's SNES Classic debacle stands out among the worst experiences I have encountered. I managed to secure an order through Walmart's website during the ~15-30 second window it was live. I have NEVER seen that kind of demand.

From an academic perspective, I'm very interested to see how this all pans out over the coming months. If today is any indication, I expect it will be memorable (or significant, if you prefer).
Could't agree more. Resellers are just a link in the chain with a product like this. I wouldnt even dare venture a guess how many SNES classic nintendo manufactures but based on the fact that last years can still fetch double MSRP on ebay; and the auctions that ebay hasnt pulled yet since its still before their policy to list have hit $225 with ease on the SNES Mini and this is 5-6 weeks before it even releases. I would imagine like last year we will see an avg price of 250-300 in the reseller market come Late oct/nov when parents start xmas shopping. Just happy I didnt miss out like I did last year I still refuse to pay 150+ for a Mini NES. It is what it is though I know if I ever want one thats the secondary market price since the secondary market is the only avenue to still buy one of them. Same will be true of this console and the Mini 64 rumored for next season will probably follow suit.

Could't agree more. Resellers are just a link in the chain with a product like this. I wouldnt even dare venture a guess how many SNES classic nintendo manufactures but based on the fact that last years can still fetch double MSRP on ebay; and the auctions that ebay hasnt pulled yet since its still before their policy to list have hit $225 with ease on the SNES Mini and this is 5-6 weeks before it even releases. I would imagine like last year we will see an avg price of 250-300 in the reseller market come Late oct/nov when parents start xmas shopping. Just happy I didnt miss out like I did last year I still refuse to pay 150+ for a Mini NES. It is what it is though I know if I ever want one thats the secondary market price since the secondary market is the only avenue to still buy one of them. Same will be true of this console and the Mini 64 rumored for next season will probably follow suit.
Oh, 250-300 is likely on the low side for this product. The NES Classic was fetching $250 at it's peak, and as an inferior product (in virtually every way). I think prices jumped to near $300 when the discontinuation was announced/evident, and that was after the holiday panic.

It won't be consistent, but if availability continues the current trend, this can (and will most likely) go north of $400 in the coming months. It is, afterall, a fully functional system with 2 controllers and 21 games (most of which are pretty darn good and critically-acclaimed). Toss in an unreleased Star Fox 2 and you've got collector's in the mix.

Heck, the Breath of the Wild Master Edition retailed for $100 (?), had similar scarcity, and was going for $450+ at peak. And that largely attracted collectors, since the key differences between the lower editions was a statue. With the SNES Classic, there is no substitute - you either have one, or you don't.

Personally, I wasn't too thrilled when the NES Classic was announced. My wife even asked if it would be something I'd like for Christmas; good thing I said no, since I'm not sure she would have found one. The SNES Classic on the other hand was much more desireable from the start. Heck, my kids even have my old SNES currently hooked up and LOVE playing it (despite one of the controllers starting to go on the fritz and a much smaller selection of games).

Can't wait for the next batch of pre-orders to go live at around 3:24 AM or some other random time in the AM. Can't believe Bestbuy would even allow that. Someone should forward that image to Bestbuy's Twitter, very easy for them to cancel his orders since he left the order numbers visible. LOL

I got the google cache version...it looks super shady. most of the advert text is different than BB, Walmart, etc. It's sold by "Nintendo Digital Downloads/Game Trust" but fulfilled by Amazon - I can sell stuff and have it fulfilled by them too. And now it's down? IDK, I think yall got screwed.
Order details say, "Sold by: Amazon.com LLC".

Maybe Amazon removed the listing because they didn't want it bombarded with one-star "reviews" from crybabies who think Amazon and Nintendo and the world is obligated to send them their toy.

That dude is hopefully doing some ferrari racer photoshopping. I personally know a CAG who was banned from bestbuy.com for ordering too many Zelda 3ds XL's a long while back. He's tried a million different ways to get online orders through - different mac address, different ip address, different shipping address, different billing address, different credit cards, different gift cards, different names, etc. He hasn't had any luck. I think if you did 3 or less on BB.com I wouldn't worry. For anyone who ordered more than a few, I would worry a little.

Freaking CAG's who keep bumping the SNES alert thread for no reason other than to whine/chime in with some stupid comment...

giphy-downsized-large.gif

Freaking CAG's who keep bumping the alert thread for no reason other than to whine/chime in with some stupid comment...

giphy-downsized-large.gif
It's frustrating. They can't all be accidents. It feels like trolling. Although it was funny when I asked my mom to read the email alert for me full of expletives a couple hours ago while I was on the highway driving her home from the airport. :rofl:

Not a chance.

In this type of situation, the resellers are essentially acting as a middleman (and gaining profit by this designation). They do not increase the total supply of the product, but rather factor into its channels of distribution among consumers.

If you proposition were to be true, then the perceived value of the product would not offset the implied markup that turns into a reseller's profit. In other words, nobody would be willing to pay above MSRP and resellers would be left with the choice of keeping their investment or returning it to a standard retail channel (where it would be sold at MSRP).

Pure and simple, if the after-market value of a product greatly exceeds the MSRP, then people (in a general sense of the population) are prioritizing the reseller's cut in profit below their own desire to own/purchase the product. In other words, the demand is so greatly exceeding the supply that the difference is being manifest in profits for the reseller.

In a hypothetical world without resellers, if the demand were to directly equal the supply (as you propose), then a bolus of sales would occur initially, with a slower trickle effect over the next several weeks/months, reducing the supply to zero (with 100% sated consumer desire). EVEN with the obvious reseller markup (contributing to the perceived value), the product is selling like hotcakes.

I've been a video game collector for a long time and have been generally pretty successful in obtaining the items that I desire to purchase. Today's SNES Classic debacle stands out among the worst experiences I have encountered. I managed to secure an order through Walmart's website during the ~15-30 second window it was live. I have NEVER seen that kind of demand.

From an academic perspective, I'm very interested to see how this all pans out over the coming months. If today is any indication, I expect it will be memorable (or significant, if you prefer).
One thing you do not factor in - the increased demand due to rarity. How many people decided they have to get it because they cannot sit around and think about it and talk themselves out of needing it. How many people go "wow this is the hot product so I NEED it"? You don't get a chance to mull it over with it in your cart.

It's like with Amiibos, when they were selling like hotcakes, people didn't even think twice about jumping on one, even if it wasn't something they necessarily wanted. But once some got common, the demand went WAY down. It wasn't just more being made, like for Marth. People just saw that many on the shelf and decided they didn't need him.

I only managed to grab a "Red Controller" bundle at Gamestop that comes with the hardcover book and the Star Fox lithograph. It is a rip off if you ask me. But if someone wants to trade a NES Classic at retail value and pay the difference, I will be more than glad to hand it over. It came about 163 total.  My wife is not happy with the purchase.

I can provide receipt, etc. NES Classic has a 65 MSRP so I am thinking that +80 bucks to cover for the rest.

Can't wait for the next batch of pre-orders to go live at around 3:24 AM or some other random time in the AM. Can't believe Bestbuy would even allow that. Someone should forward that image to Bestbuy's Twitter, very easy for them to cancel his orders since he left the order numbers visible. LOL
Quite a few actually have no response from Best Buy though

These preorders couldn't have gone better for Nintendo (and resellers) if they paid these retailers.  Oh wait, they do. Everything was perfectly orchestrated, everyone thinks it's super rare, and we still have no clue how many were available today.  Gamestop is making sure we know it SOLD OUT, and shut down their website to avoid bots and crashes.  But with 30 second windows at huge chains like walmart, I really doubt they sold their entire alotment.  Their website didn't even hiccup like past nes classic and switch stock events where too many people were trying to check out.

For amazon, it couldn't have gone better either.  They had it up for a long time, albeit when many were asleep, server never even coughed, they may have even thwarted bot users with that stealth listing.  Rather than deal with x customers with 1 unit each, they have many fewer customers with multiple orders, less possible complaints later on.  Their bottom line, they pre-sold a lot with minimal server issues and complaints.

I think there will be more of these than NES classics, but NIntendo will do what they do best and create "rareness" demand for as long as they can.  Then cruelly remove it to make sure it stays that way, but they announced it this time in advance.  

And you can't say resellers are just diverting supply and aren't increasing the demand/price/rarity.  The hoarding and effect on supply/perception is exactly the cycle that raises prices.  How can it not?  Even now, I can assure you many people who didn't even want an NES classic have one or a few tucked away just due to the rareness and reselling value and not just the people who would actually buy one if they thought supply was unlimited.

One thing you do not factor in - the increased demand due to rarity. How many people decided they have to get it because they cannot sit around and think about it and talk themselves out of needing it. How many people go "wow this is the hot product so I NEED it"? You don't get a chance to mull it over with it in your cart.

It's like with Amiibos, when they were selling like hotcakes, people didn't even think twice about jumping on one, even if it wasn't something they necessarily wanted. But once some got common, the demand went WAY down. It wasn't just more being made, like for Marth. People just saw that many on the shelf and decided they didn't need him.
Yes...and no. Artificial scarcity is certainly a possible sales tactic (that Nintendo has a history of using). I have no doubt that some percent of purchases were made impulsively. However, most of the audience that was affected today are the gamers and those in-tune to gaming trends and news. It's the average consumer that is more likely to jump on the hype train when/if they are made aware of it.

The comparison to Amiibos is slightly different. Amiibos enhanced the games and were a toy on their own. This is a standalone product that's already a pretty good value. Yes, a raspberry pi + ROMs is probably cheaper (cough, illegal), but this provides a high-quality emulation for a good library of games.

At $80, this thing would fly off the shelves on its own, without any scalping or artificial scarcity....just on the value of what's being offered.

After frustratingly trying to get an online preorder everywhere imaginable this morning I ended up driving down to the GS closest to my office and lucked out and got the last in store preorder available. This store was only allotted seven units for preorder. Knowing Nintendo and what a cluster this is and has been so far I am not 100% confident that this will be hassle free so I still plan on trying to get preorders other places if they go back up, just in case.

Now I'm thinking (or hoping) amazon pulling the page is not an admission of error, but just an attempt to thwart bots who may camp out the listing for future stock. Disposable, untraceable, untrackable product listings. 

These preorders couldn't have gone better for Nintendo (and resellers) if they paid these retailers. Oh wait, they do. Everything was perfectly orchestrated, everyone thinks it's super rare, and we still have no clue how many were available today. Gamestop is making sure we know it SOLD OUT, and shut down their website to avoid bots and crashes. But with 30 second windows at huge chains like walmart, I really doubt they sold their entire alotment. Their website didn't even hiccup like past nes classic and switch stock events where too many people were trying to check out.

For amazon, it couldn't have gone better either. They had it up for a long time, albeit when many were asleep, server never even coughed, they may have even thwarted bot users with that stealth listing. Rather than deal with x customers with 1 unit each, they have many fewer customers with multiple orders, less possible complaints later on. Their bottom line, they pre-sold a lot with minimal server issues and complaints.

I think there will be more of these than NES classics, but NIntendo will do what they do best and create "rareness" demand for as long as they can. Then cruelly remove it to make sure it stays that way, but they announced it this time in advance.

And you can't say resellers are just diverting supply and aren't increasing the demand/price/rarity. The hoarding and effect on supply/perception is exactly the cycle that raises prices. How can it not? Even now, I can assure you many people who didn't even want an NES classic have one or a few tucked away just due to the rareness and reselling value and not just the people who would actually buy one if they thought supply was unlimited.
All of your points are valid.

The hoarding effect (as you describe it) really only serves to expand the possible number of potential customers. Whether a buyer chooses to open and play the system or save it sealed in a box makes no difference to Nintendo - a sale is a sale. It is their $80 to do with as they please and really no different than an entertainment (immediate gratification) vs. investment argument. Our entire economy is based on this balance and does not provide restraints on how this balance is to be achieved; it's up to each of us to determine that on our own. To top it off, any hoarding (investment) carries a risk that the value will not appreciate over time. I think it's a safe bet that this product WILL maintain value above MSRP.

Supply still has not reached the demand (real or perceived), so prices are going to increase.

i might around 12 people call me about preordering thru the store (target) yet have called it NES S. Just makes me think they don't really care for the product to play with, just to try to sell it. i have ALOT of resellers come around my store.  

i might around 12 people call me about preordering thru the store (target) yet have called it NES S. Just makes me think they don't really care for the product to play with, just to try to sell it. i have ALOT of resellers come around my store.
It sounds like the resellers have their wires crossed with the Xbox One S maybe? You're right that doesn't sound like someone fanatical enough to call a store about it a week before launch.

I was able to place a pre-order last night and Best Buy and Amazon, I hope everyone who couldn't get one gets one. They promised they will produce more, so I think you guys who didn't will end up getting one.

But what a big middle finger to all of the consumers by Gamestop. They tweet out "Hey guys don't worry, we'll be listing them on the site soon, hang in there!" Then the site goes live, crashes in .8 seconds, stays down for another 3 hours, then comes back with a big bold "WE'RE SOLD OUT GUYS!" banner.

What an F U to people who wanted to buy consoles from them.

The Amazon listing was a boner. The real Amazon listing will go up on release day between 1:30pm-2:00pm EST, just like when they put amiibos up.

There is no way Amazon would allow ordering as many as people have. The CSRs people have talked to know nothing about item listings and cannot be trusted. They are nowhere near the actual Amazon supply chain - quite literally since it's probably outsourced halfway around the world. Just because it said stocked by Amazon doesn't mean anything.The Game Trust line should have had everyone's bullshit sensors going off like crazy (and even moreso now that the listing has been deleted).

And so this doesn't seem like a sour grapes post, I do have a preorder from Target.
Lol you cant be trusted

Has anyone switched CC on their Amazon UK orders?

I'm concerned my current CC won't have the funds available when it ships, but am concerned the order will cancel if I switch to a different cardm

Lol you cant be trusted
Sorry, I don't believe your Amazon preorder is real.

Re: gnugget5

I didn't say a reselling-less demand was realistic - just that if you removed that additional demand theoretically, it would even out. You even admit to this later in your post. Without the double demand per unit, the supply would fall closely to demand. To Nintendo's credit, that's smart business - leaving nothing on the shelf and no customers wanting. And just like Nintendo, that ignores the reality of the situation.

And yada yada game collector long time too, it's only been this bad once before and that was Smash Wave 4 amiibos. Robin and Lucina on Amazon comes to mind. I was sitting at my computer refreshing their pages and never even saw them come in stock before they sold out. At least with a predetermined time, I saw Walmart come in stock before it sold out 45 seconds later.

This is turning out to be like Limited Run Games 2 weeks ago for night trap. Except for stressing out at only two times, it's all day...fun times

:bomb: :wall:
Night Trap was not nearly as stressful, I easily got a copy during the 10 AM run and had more trouble with WonderBoy. The nice thing about LRG is that you know exactly what time you can order the product. The SNES was a guessing game yesterday and in many cases sheer luck of being awake and happening to check at the right time. I only got one pre-ordered because I have a friend who manages a Gamestop store that helped me out while I was at work like most people and his store was allotted a whopping 7 systems.

Sorry, I don't believe your Amazon preorder is real.

Re: gnugget5

I didn't say a reselling-less demand was realistic - just that if you removed that additional demand theoretically, it would even out. You even admit to this later in your post. Without the double demand per unit, the supply would fall closely to demand. To Nintendo's credit, that's smart business - leaving nothing on the shelf and no customers wanting. And just like Nintendo, that ignores the reality of the situation.

And yada yada game collector long time too, it's only been this bad once before and that was Smash Wave 4 amiibos. Robin and Lucina on Amazon comes to mind. I was sitting at my computer refreshing their pages and never even saw them come in stock before they sold out. At least with a predetermined time, I saw Walmart come in stock before it sold out 45 seconds later.
It's not double demand though. The same number of systems end up in the same number of consumers' hands with an added step in the form of resellers.

Has anyone switched CC on their Amazon UK orders?

I'm concerned my current CC won't have the funds available when it ships, but am concerned the order will cancel if I switch to a different cardm
No but I switched shipping to amazonglobal from standard and so far it's all good.

It's not double demand though. The same number of systems end up in the same number of consumers' hands with an added step in the form of resellers.
That's exactly my point. Resellers do not add to the demand, they defer it. A reseller without an audience willing to buy it at resale value is most likely going to return it. Most likely, the reseller would drive down the price to the point where demand kicks in and the product sells (any profit is afterall better than no profit, from their perspective). Either way, the entire demand chain is still limited by the total number of consumers willing to make a 'final' purchase of the item. Depending on where this level stabilizes, relative to the supply chain from Nintendo, will dictate the final after-market price.

These preorders couldn't have gone better for Nintendo (and resellers) if they paid these retailers. Oh wait, they do. Everything was perfectly orchestrated, everyone thinks it's super rare, and we still have no clue how many were available today. Gamestop is making sure we know it SOLD OUT, and shut down their website to avoid bots and crashes. But with 30 second windows at huge chains like walmart, I really doubt they sold their entire alotment. Their website didn't even hiccup like past nes classic and switch stock events where too many people were trying to check out.

For amazon, it couldn't have gone better either. They had it up for a long time, albeit when many were asleep, server never even coughed, they may have even thwarted bot users with that stealth listing. Rather than deal with x customers with 1 unit each, they have many fewer customers with multiple orders, less possible complaints later on. Their bottom line, they pre-sold a lot with minimal server issues and complaints.

I think there will be more of these than NES classics, but NIntendo will do what they do best and create "rareness" demand for as long as they can. Then cruelly remove it to make sure it stays that way, but they announced it this time in advance.

And you can't say resellers are just diverting supply and aren't increasing the demand/price/rarity. The hoarding and effect on supply/perception is exactly the cycle that raises prices. How can it not? Even now, I can assure you many people who didn't even want an NES classic have one or a few tucked away just due to the rareness and reselling value and not just the people who would actually buy one if they thought supply was unlimited.
I would say your just taking a guess that their will be "more" then the NES Classic because what is more defined by 1,000 more 10,000 more. Your also just speculating due to lack of web issues for Walmart that they didnt sell their allotment; these are all just guesses. However one thing that is for sure is the market for this product was created last year by the Mini NES Craze AND add that to the Nintendo Audience on a product like this spans so many age groups; demand is not going to waiver by alot; and 2nd Market Value will stay steady as the Mini NES has shown the ability to remain 2x over MSRP even a year later.

its honestly no different then any other collectors edition that is bound to sell out Fallout Pipboy last year Destiny 2 this year; etc. Re-sellers are going to be all over it and especially the ones using bots to buy; incentive to make those products sell out and be in scarce availability. By doing that they have managed to corner the market so even the guy who just grabs 2 one to buy; one to sell is going to make out like kid in a candy store because the market has been created by the hardcore re-sellers. I'm not going to call them scalpers as this is a practice that dates back to well before any of our time; and happens in many more markets then just the video game sector of ebay or just in general.

I think the problem is caring. If you don't care there will be no demand. There shouldn't even be demand for this. I'm now in support of emulation. Emulate away people.

So I guess this is it right? No more pre-orders? What a big clusterf**k
Play Asia hasnt opened up yet; not sure if B&H is gonna do pre orders. Target seems to still be flickering maybe cancelattions as folks get some yesterday later via gamestop instead. Mini NES sold 2.3 million world wide I woudl venture a guess that Nintendo isnt going to be able to produce much more then that on the SNES.

Theres also this from Nintendo "Super Nintendo Entertainment System: Super NES Classic Edition is currently planned to ship from Sept. 29 until the end of calendar year 2017. At this time, we have nothing to announce regarding any possible shipments beyond this year."

That's exactly my point. Resellers do not add to the demand, they defer it.
No, they double it. Once for the reseller, again for the person who buys it from them. I am saying demand, you are saying sales. The reseller and the their eventual buyer both want the item from the retailer, which is twice the demand (but for different reasons). The reseller defers the sale.

How many people wanted to preorder yesterday, failed to and bought one on eBay? Those people wanted it for their own use (their contribution to demand) but the resellers wanted it to resell (their demand contribution).

I think we are both in agreement but either myself or you are not using the right language to describe our points.

So I guess this is it right? No more pre-orders? What a big clusterf**k
I wouldn't say that. Nintendo has made it very clear that they are going to manufacture more SNES Classics than they did the NES. I still don't believe they will make enough to meet the high demand, but I do believe the chances of getting one at retail price if you want it will be much higher than the NES Classic. I've got one locked down now and will try to get my hands on a couple of more, I'd like to give my brother one for his birthday in November. I'm also going to go after the Japanese release as well, which I didn't do with the Famicom Classic.

I wouldn't say that. Nintendo has made it very clear that they are going to manufacture more SNES Classics than they did the NES. I still don't believe they will make enough to meet the high demand, but I do believe the chances of getting one at retail price if you want it will be much higher than the NES Classic. I've got one locked down now and will try to get my hands on a couple of more, I'd like to give my brother one for his birthday in November. I'm also going to go after the Japanese release as well, which I didn't do with the Famicom Classic.
2.3 Million in 4 months is going to be hard to top. Especially based on yesterday I believe the demand is even higher due to last years craze,.

No, they double it. Once for the reseller, again for the person who buys it from them. I am saying demand, you are saying sales. The reseller and the their eventual buyer both want the item from the retailer, which is twice the demand (but for different reasons). The reseller defers the sale.

How many people wanted to preorder yesterday, failed to and bought one on eBay? Those people wanted it for their own use (their contribution to demand) but the resellers wanted it to resell (their demand contribution).
Your definition of demand is myopic and short-sighted. A reseller can certainly contribute to the hype and INITIAL interest in a product. However, without a buyer, a reseller is not going to sit on their product and will return it to vendors. The key here is that a reseller has no interest in actually keeping the product for their own use, which is what will factor into the ultimate demand for a product. Demand is determined by the consumers that permanently remove it from the market, reducing the total supply in retail channels.

The definition of demand is "the quantity of a commodity or a service that people are willing or able to buy at a certain price." It is clear that the demand for the product at MSRP is greater when resellers are factored into the equation, there are simply more people involved. However, the very inclusion of a reseller will increase the market price for a product. Increasing the price decreases the demand, a basic tenet of the law of supply and demand. So long as the total quantity of a commodity or service (SNES Classic) are being purchased by consumers, at either MSRP or after-market value, the demand has not changed.

If left to their own devices, resellers could always try to drive the market price up...beyond the point which (some) consumers are willing to pay. In this case, the economic demand for the product would actually decrease, since the total quantity of a commodity/service that people are willing/able to buy at this price would become lower. This is unlikely to happen, since the reseller price point will naturally tend to gravitate toward the price which people are willing to pay. So long as retailer inventory is moving to buyers, the demand for the product remains constant (and above the level of supply).

This all goes back to my initial point - a reseller has absolutely no bearing on the long-term demand for a product, since they do not intend to keep the product. Collectors, on the other hand, DO factor into the demand since their purchase effectively removes the product from available supply. Of course, a collector may eventually sell their product (there is a grey area between what we define as a short-term collector and a reseller), but this eventual sale will generally occur at the price point defined by the current market for the product (the demand).

Just read that Amazon UK cancelled all orders taht were more then 1 per person so hopefully US Amazon is doing that right now and at some point we will see the amazon pre orders come back up once they sort out how many they have left after taking away from the people who ordered more than 1. Just something to keep an eye on. I personally would rather buy from amazon then the red controller bundle from gamestop but cant complain if i Dont.

Supposedly gamestop got 40,000 yesterday (pre orders) and will have 100,000 availible on launch day I cant confirm this information as it comes from a person within the gaming journalists side of the industry who claims they have access to allocation numbers; but I take him with a grain; he's one of those I work in gaming so I'm better and smarter then you type of people. So take that for what its worth if anyone can confirm that on here? 

So demand eventually gets close to 0. You must have a degree in Economics
No, the demand does not necessarily approach a limit of zero, especially when considering the secondary (non-MSRP) market. The demand is dynamic and will tend to stabilize (normalize) in relation to the current price point. Increased interest in a product will increase demand...which will tend to raise the after-market price for a product, thereby decreasing the demand. This holistic process tends to, over time, render demand constant (it's the price point that fluctuates in relation to supply).

The traditional law of supply and demand is in relation to a static price (in our conversation, let's assume this is MSRP). Increased supply will decrease demand, and vice versa....but at a constant price point. Since retailers have agreements with the manufacturer to sell at or below MSRP (in most cases), the purchase of a product from a MSRP-abiding retailer meets the traditional law of supply and demand (which portnoyd appears to believe is occurring). The minute you introduce resellers, which are no longer bound by MSRP restrictions, the price point becomes variable in response to their presence, not the demand.

And no, I do not have a degree in economics. :) I have always found economics to be a very logical discipline, greatly complimented by an understanding of models and dynamic response. It's become something akin to a hobby in the past decade, though slightly more beneficial to (1) feed my interests as a gamer and (2) assist in our household financial arena.

2.3 Million in 4 months is going to be hard to top. Especially based on yesterday I believe the demand is even higher due to last years craze,.
It seemed more difficult for me to get a SNES pre-order than it was for me to get a Neon Nintendo Switch pre-order.

I never knew people could get this crazy over 20 - 30 year old games. I still play my SNES, NES, Atari, etc, but I didn't realize so many people cared. It makes me wonder if Nintendo is going to do a NES/SNES compilation cart for the Switch, a N64 classic or a NES Classic 2 for next year.

At this point they'd be crazy not to make this an annual thing.

bread's done
Back