so why exactly is MS still charging us $50 a year for live? [enough arguing]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Free > fees always. I don't really understand why people hate psn speeds that much. I manage around 500kB/s and I think that's pretty damn fast for a free service.

[quote name='TheRock88']As for playing games, I notice a bit of lag when playing COD4 when a lot of action is on the screen. Now I dont know if its cause the PS3 cant handle it or if its PSN, but I have no lag at all with the same situation when playing the 360 version.[/QUOTE]

How do you have your PS3 setup? In other words, do you have it setup properly?

[quote name='Hyperlancer']Anyone who truly thinks XBL connection quality is vastly superior to PSN is just a fanboy. [/QUOTE]
:roll:
Your standards are just questionable as your statements.
I have both too, only a fanboy could rationalize the disparity in quality.

[quote name='TheRock88']Yes, I do. And it's through a wired connection too with the ports forwarded.[/QUOTE]

Glad somebody else does this. Sorry to hear about your situation then, I know some routers have problems with one system or another, especially ISP routers. Oh well, sorry I can't help ya man.

[quote name='DPsx7']In short - people are stupid and easily part with their money. I've played on consoles and PC for years. Everything has been FREE. Never a problem outside of occasional (and expected) lag if you connect to a long-distance game. There is nothing that Live provides that can't be had better on a free service. Wii, PS3, PC, DS, PSP, you name it.[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't say nothing better.... PS3 doesn't have a lot of exclusive content (Fallout 3 comes to mind, even though it's being released for PS3 soon), or 1vs100, or...

While they can use that money to do stuff like exclusive content, I still think Silver members should have a little bit more benefits.

[quote name='jughead']Nobody on PSN has a mic![/QUOTE]

Cause the mic should have been bundled with something other than Endwar =P

.96 a week at the $50 rate, as cheap as .58 a week if you get a card on sale for $30. People clearly like to complain without actually thinking the situation through.

[quote name='elessar123']Cause the mic should have been bundled with something other than Endwar =P[/QUOTE]

Warhawk and yet still very few people use it.

Of course the companies are out to make money. Haven't you paid enough for the console and games already? Are you that eager to just shell out so much more for no reason other than M$'s greed? PC games along with Nin and Sony are doing just fine without charging extra. And the only difference that Live offers is advertising. I laugh at those who think THAT's worth the cost. Truly the fanboys are out of control.

I get 1.2 MB a sec download speeds on PSN. Basically my entire connection. People who can't get fast connections need to set it up properly. I do have to hand it to microsoft for idiot proofing the 360 processes so people don't have to actually know anything though.

[quote name='TheRock88']Yes, I do. And it's through a wired connection too with the ports forwarded.[/QUOTE]

I would say that's normal... sometimes downloads are fairly fast and whatnot, other times they're not. But overall, PSN downloads are just plain slower than the 360's. I wonder if updates and such are just larger on for the PS3?

During games, the only time I've ever experience lag on PSN was during SoulCalibur IV but I heard that was a universal problem. Online gaming really isn't issue for me on the PSN. Plus, I don't have to listen to any squeaky 12 years olds, which are rampant on XBL.

PSN had some catching up to do early on since the infrastructure for Live had been in place for years with the first XBox, but 90% of the hell it catches is really just unwarranted.

You (We) are still paying for Live to recoup the costs of that billion dollar RRoD cleanup... trust me, I've looked at the financials for the the division that xbox falls in and it would be quite abysmal otherwise.

I own a 360 but I don't like paying for Gold (which should be for free) and I hate how I want to buy a wireless adapter because I dislike the Ethernet cable tripping me every goddamn time.

PSN functionality is only a little worse than XBL and it doesn't come at a premium.

I'm really surprised it's still $50 a year, I figured that with all the stores doing $30 sales on Xbox Live earlier this year Microsoft was basically doing a stealth price drop, letting people buy a year for $30 before the official drop so they don't get angry when it officially dropped.

[quote name='DPsx7']Of course the companies are out to make money. Haven't you paid enough for the console and games already? Are you that eager to just shell out so much more for no reason other than M$'s greed? PC games along with Nin and Sony are doing just fine without charging extra. And the only difference that Live offers is advertising. I laugh at those who think THAT's worth the cost. Truly the fanboys are out of control.[/QUOTE]

Cmon now, you could use the same argument about blu-ray and the wireless. Some people don't want those features, but if you buy a ps3, you're forced to take it. It's all about what you want or need. I laugh at people who continue this argument as if they have some invested stake in the company for some reason.

[quote name='crystalklear64']i personally do not care for xbox live, but if i want to play games online on my 360 with friends, what choice do I have? and that is one of the biggest weaknesses of the 360 is the lack of choices. you either get online gaming + whole bunch of other stuff, or no online gaming. there is no happy medium.[/QUOTE]

I agree, so many people here only think in terms of their relationship with Microsoft, but I suspect that there is a much bigger reason that most people neglect to mention, while they try to justify paying for the platform by mentioning feature x or y. If you've chosen the 360 as your main or only online platform (or even one of many), and all your friends are on xbox live, then it would proably be a bigger investment than $50 a year to switch to another online service or console. Not only would you need to rebuy the games you like (monetary cost), but you would be leaving the community of friends you've built (non-monetary cost). That's why everything on xbox live is so community focused. You might not be loyal to the Live platform, but you'll likely remain loyal to your individual community. And since they were so far in front of the other consoles in the online space, the other consoles still have a huge perception issue to overcome for many gamers.

Otherwise I'm still not sure what exactly we are paying for in the xbl service.

Demos? - Somebody wrote into the Cagcast recently and mentioned paying for demos. I'm not sure what that means since Silver members get demos for free, unless gold subscriptions were somehow subsidizing the demos for everyone. But think about that for a second, do you really want to pay for a demo, the very purpose of which is to sell you a game? Are you paying money to get advertised to? Is the reason that you pay for cable the commercials? Don't get me wrong, I appreciate that Microsoft requires demos, but it's not something that you should pay for.

Cross-game invites? - Everybody always brings up cross game invites, is that really what you're paying $50 for?

Where are the dedicated servers, or features like Steam cloud, that require real investment from Microsoft for that $50 a year?

On the PC Microsoft had to stop charging because the competition was offering everything and more for free.

I think the point is that ALL of us would rather NOT pay for live.

But some of us don't mind it much. I can't compare to the PSN as I've never had or wanted a PS3 due to price and not really caring for Sony's first party games.

But I don't mind paying $30-35 for live as my few gaming friends are on there, I like the cross game invites so they can shoot me one when I'm playing something else, and again the Netflix streaming is fantastic since I'm vastly more into movies than games. So that's a great feature, at least for this generation. Eventually I'll probably pick up a newer blu ray player that has that feature built in as I'm not sure I'll buy a console after the 360.

But in any case, $30-35 isn't a huge chunk of change to me--much less when it's for a year subscriptions, so I don't mind it much. Would I prefer it be free? Sure. And I probably wouldn't pay for it if it weren't for Netflix given I just don't game much any more in general, and hardly every play online these days.

[quote name='TheRock88']I just want to add in my 2 cents. I say PSN sucks cause of the download times of game updates and DLC from the store compared to XBL. For a game update, it takes like 10-30 minutes to download while it only takes about 5-6 seconds on the 360. System updates? Same thing.

For downloading demos and DLC, an avg 700 mb file takes about 30-35 minutes on the 360. On the PS3? About 50 minutes up to an hour.

As for playing games, I notice a bit of lag when playing COD4 when a lot of action is on the screen. Now I dont know if its cause the PS3 cant handle it or if its PSN, but I have no lag at all with the same situation when playing the 360 version.[/QUOTE]

Is there something wrong with your connection? 700 MB file has never taken me anywhere near an hour to download on PSN. Closer to 15 to 20 minutes. I've never played COD4, but I have virtually no lag while playing my PS3 online.

[quote name='rainking187']Is there something wrong with your connection? 700 MB file has never taken me anywhere near an hour to download on PSN. Closer to 15 to 20 minutes. I've never played COD4, but I have virtually no lag while playing my PS3 online.[/QUOTE]

Dont think its my connection cause my 360 can download a file around the same size much quicker.

It's because once, Mr. Microsoft watched a monkey juggling dinosaurs while it was getting a flu shot.

This inspired Mr. Microsoft to then create, and then charge for Xbox Live.

The End.

[quote name='refusedchaos']^your router might just not like PSN (im not joking). My DSL Westell router used to be like that.[/QUOTE]

Westell? Ew.

[quote name='wwe101']no i have a 360 and my live ran out, but i am considering getting a ps3 for MW2 for the free online instead of dropping another $50 on live. is there anything i should know about the about playing online with the ps3? i really dont care about invites and chat parties, as long as i can play a a match of call of duty online with no lag, i will be fine[/QUOTE]
cheating is THE big difference between their services. MS makes sure noone does or its perma ban from live. Sony usually leaves it up 2 devs to patch if the devs want people 2 keep playing their game. its never been rampant on PSN as far as ive experienced, but thats not saying much as i play single player mostly.

[quote name='dastly75']Because Microsoft is a business.[/QUOTE]

Quit trying to make sense.

I'd rather go with it's because MS is the devil and murdered your family.

MS seriously needs to lower the price of the subscription. Yeah, we know. You can score deals on the cards, but this isn't 2007 anymore. PSN is way better than it was back then. What games are people playing that are such garbage on PS3? Most of my online gaming problems has already been fixed. I just wish they had the party system that 360 has as well as all the other universal stuff. I just don't see XBL being worth being $50 at this point. If they're going to charge for XBL, do it for $20 a year or something.

Sometimes I do wonder if Xbox Live is even worth $50. I mean, we don't get dedicated servers for all games, the majority of players are $$$s, and despite little to no lag, we're not able to get more games with more than 16 players (i.e. Fat Princess, Warhawk, MAG, etc.). And no, PDZ and Frontlines don't count.

[quote name='neocisco'].96 a week at the $50 rate, as cheap as .58 a week if you get a card on sale for $30. People clearly like to complain without actually thinking the situation through.[/QUOTE]

u could feed a poor starving african child for less than that. WHERE ARE YOUR PRIORITIES? jk

[quote name='Blackout']MS seriously needs to lower the price of the subscription. Yeah, we know. You can score deals on the cards, but this isn't 2007 anymore. PSN is way better than it was back then. What games are people playing that are such garbage on PS3? Most of my online gaming problems has already been fixed. I just wish they had the party system that 360 has as well as all the other universal stuff. I just don't see XBL being worth being $50 at this point. If they're going to charge for XBL, do it for $20 a year or something.[/QUOTE]

This, but I still would never pay for Live. I don't think I'll ever pay for P2P when I already pay for my ISP. I rather buy a dedicated server. I've used both, and played the same games on both. There really is no difference. Peer 2 Peer is the same no matter where you go. It's no different than me and someone else connecting to each other and playing a game of Quake or some game where you can create a listen server. When I hear lag free gaming, I laugh instantly because the net code in most of these console games are no where close to what Cube 2: Sauerbraten or GGPO has to offer. Latency will always exist. Small games with shitty netcode aren't a great representation of what the service has to offer. I've seen some mediocre games with unplayable multiplayer simply because the developers are incompetent. For example, Gunstar Heroes for PSN. Online was broken on release date. So it's pretty much up to the developer in the end whether or not the online will be bad or not.

I think people have different experiences with both. I never ran into slow speeds with PS3. Also, most of the time I really don't care about the speed, Ill just download it and walk away. I use live on my friends 360, and the download speeds are really slow. Took 20-30 mins to download 100-200 megs, which is pathetic. I'm not criticizing the service, I'm just saying experience is everything with this debate.

Anyway that's my two cents.

No one pays $50.00 a year for LIVE on this site, not when you can regularly find deals for 12 month cards for about $30.00. That equals to $2.50 a month, not really breaking the bank here (at least I hope not for some of you.)

Yes, free is nice. And the PSN is becoming more and more comparable with each and every update. However, I (and apparently so do a lot of other people) feel that LIVE gives us features that are worth paying for.

[quote name='Hostile']I own a 360 but I don't like paying for Gold (which should be for free) and I hate how I want to buy a wireless adapter because I dislike the Ethernet cable tripping me every goddamn time.

PSN functionality is only a little worse than XBL and it doesn't come at a premium.[/QUOTE]

If people want to get their panties in a twist about something, get worked up over the price of the wireless adaptor. $100 is just beyond ridiculous.

"I" don't pay $50, but it is ridiculous regardless of the Fanboyism in here... Yeah, I have a PS3 and no I don't play it much or go online with it.

IIRC it's mostly because of trying to recoup the costs of making the service (several million), expensive API coding that needs to constantly updated and the infrastructure already being built for most games to use (which was one of the reasons many xbox fighters had online while their ps2 cousins didn't).

The updates are pissing me off. It's like every system update makes it slower and adds crap I'd rather not have (Avatars and their wackiness).

There is no reason since the PC community and PSN are free.

Netflix is not a reason to use, I don't think some Xbots know that PSN has its own video service (US has shows and movies, EU has a music video channel, Japan even has pRon coming to their PS3s, haha). Also Xbox Netflix does not have Sony Columbia picture movies on their streaming. Of course, PC's can stream Netflix also, but with all the major movie studios including Sony.

No mics is not true for other platforms and not justification for why Live is $50.

Internet lag is not a legitimate excuse either. If you have a fast internet and set your router correctly, PC and PSN perform as well as Live.

I did not know Live was P2P. Why are you paying $50? PC and PSN have FREE dedicated servers. Tsk tsk.

Last edited by a moderator:
Econ 101...

but really I like to ask myself the same question is a rhetorical outrage.

The countless hours on halo and the few other games I play online are easily worth it. Within those 12 or 13 months of membership lots of deals on memberships come up. ;)

Memberships stack so it's best to take advantage while they're there.

[quote name='joeboosauce']Can anyone else comfirm that 360 games run p2p?[/QUOTE]

the vast majority do run p2p..there are a couple exceptions though

[quote name='wwe101']no i have a 360 and my live ran out, but i am considering getting a ps3 for MW2 for the free online instead of dropping another $50 on live. is there anything i should know about the about playing online with the ps3? i really dont care about invites and chat parties, as long as i can play a a match of call of duty online with no lag, i will be fine[/QUOTE]

You dont make sense.....no matter what you are going to get MW2 and it sounds like you DONT have a PS3...so..instead of paying $50 (way less unless you are retarded) for a whole year of live you are going to get a $400 console? also, there is NO fuckING WAY i could deal with no party invites or any of those other features on live.....to see a buddy online and not have a way to invite him/her into your game ESPECIALLY if they are playing the same game is fucking retarded.....

dude...hop in my game! North America -> US Central 3 Server -> Deathmatch 1 -> Malik112099's noob mUrd3rfe5t room 243

see ya in 30 minutes!

PS - I own a PS3

I have a Live Subscription and have never paid $50 for it, I think my last couple of 13 month cards were $30 each.

The only reason MS will stop charging for Live is if people suddenly start abandoning the 360 and get PS3's, and that's not very likely is it.

[quote name='Stealthcat']Netflix is not a reason to use, I don't think some Xbots know that PSN has its own video service (US has shows and movies, EU has a music video channel, Japan even has pRon coming to their PS3s, haha). Also Xbox Netflix does not have Sony Columbia picture movies on their streaming.

Internet lag is not a legitimate excuse either. If you have a fast internet and set your router correctly, PC and PSN perform as well as Live.

I did not know Live was P2P. Why are you paying $50? PC and PSN have FREE dedicated servers. Tsk tsk.[/QUOTE]

Xbox live has movies, tv and music videos. The Columbia movies issue has long been fixed (might want to research before you get diarrhea of the mouth). Also, the PS3 doesn't stream Netflix. LOTS of people use this service because if you already have a 360 set up you can stream movies to your tv. Otherwise you have to watch on your pc or hook your pc up to the tv or do other shit less easy than having your console already hooked up.

Most ranked game matches auto-assign the host to the person with the best connection. When it comes to PSN it doesnt matter how good your connection is because if the server is fucking up then EVERYONE is fucking up (see SOCOM on the PS3). Not to mention scheduled downtime and server maintenance almost weekly. Also, once a game developer shuts the server down you are done, never to play online again. Almost every single Xbox Live game ever made can still be played online as long as 2 people have the game. I remember not too long ago when my buddy and I were online in DOA 3 i think it was and we were the only people on the game online in the world at the time (that we could see).

See above.

I haven't payed for my gold in over a year. Thank god for the people who bought GTA IV and didn't use their free month before trading it in. Thanks Gamestop for not taking the unused cards out of the boxes. I've probably got about 4 years worth or more.

Enjoy the hackers that will take over the game on PS3 just like they're doing with MW1. Now it's not perfect on 360 (modded controllers) but on Live I can mute anyone I want, be in a private party to not hear random people, and file complaints about anyone who's cheating or has an offensive tag. Those are things I can't do on the PS3 version.

I've got both systems and don't mind paying the $30 per year for Gold. We use the Netflix streaming all the time and most of my friends are on LIVE not PSN. Being able to chat in a group while everyone is playing a different game is very handy.

It's pointless to argue really... You like apples or oranges? If apples are free and oranges cost 1 cent, which one you want?

Anyway, here are my two cents:

1. Stop bitching about deals to get Xbox yearly Live under $50. As long as you're paying more than 1 penny, it's not free. You can brag about the deals, but that's YOU. And please don't call people lazy or stupid if they don't get the deal like YOU did.

2. On-line is on-line gaming, no, Netflix and demo shits are not what the paying service is all about. Silver members can't DL demos before Gold members is all bullshit. You're ultimately paying to play on-line, WAKE up! No, you should not be paying to get "early" access to demos, rental services etc...

3. All depends who are your gaming buddies... If your friends are in the Xbox world, hell, paying $100 a year probably not a problem for you.

4. It's all about how you manage your gaming time people! If you find that most of the time you're not playing on-line due to your working schdule, then Live is probably not the best investment. If you don't play on-line at all, you're basically paying Live for "early" demo and netflix, which is a ripoff...

EDIT: defining "early" - Gold members get to DL demos before Silver members. So, if you're a Silver member of the Live service, you're treated even lower than the FREE PSN service, think about that!

You are a retard if you pay $50 and complain about it. There are deals at $40 all year round. Look online first. I've never paid more than $35 myself and I've been using Live since its inception. Malik makes some good comments although with a little less tact(which I like, lol). Xbox live beats PSN in every way. How do I know this. People tell me all the time(the ones who own both consoles). Netflix is Fooking amazing now with the latest update. I'd get live for that alone. Microsoft has to make constant updates to their network for new games to work as smoothly as they do. The little membership fee they ask for is a steal for what they offer.

[quote name='Serpentor']
1. Stop bitching about deals to get Xbox yearly Live under $50. As long as you're paying more than 1 penny, it's not free. You can brag about the deals, but that's YOU. And please don't call people lazy or stupid if they don't get the deal like YOU did.[/QUOTE]

Your on the wrong site to be saying this. This is CAG. If you pay $50+ for Gold and your on this site, then your doing it wrong.

$30 / 13 months is $2.31 a month, WELL worth it for me.

Do I like everything about Live? No way. Theres things I HATE about it. But for me, it's still worth the money.

I like to play Call of Duty online with my friends. I know 30+ people with 360's. I know TWO people with PS3's, and neither of them play Call of Duty. So for me the $2.31 a month is worth it just to be able to play Call of Duty with my friends.

Netflix is great, but that's a recent bonus. I feel Live was worth the money before Netflix.

I don't get why people get soo agitated over this issue. If you don't feel it's worth the money, then don't buy it. Apparently lot's of people feel it is worth the money.

My wife pays $180 a year just to play WoW, and to her that's worth the money, although I don't see it.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Serpentor'] No, you should not be paying to get "early" access to demos, rental services etc...
[/QUOTE]

Why shouldn't someone pay for a rental service if they enjoy it? I get that maybe you're saying the gaming should be free and they could charge for that if they wanted, and maybe just worded it odd.

But I'll always pay for some kind of movie rental service (mail and/or streaming) as I LOVE movies and will be watching them regularly for my entire life. Gaming I'm to the point of pretty much being done with, and it's the hobby that gets the least of my attention and gets left behind when I get busy.

But I do enjoy the occasional game online, and LOVE the netflix streaming so it's worth the money to me personally.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back